Rants and Raves

Comments from our readers.

A RANT TO University Hospital parking garage. We had to be there at 6 this morning. There were no lights in the parking garage. It was pitch-black dark and scary in there. You could not see anything. That needs to be corrected.

RAVES FOR MISS SHELLY in Richmond County Marriage Licenses. Even though my fiance and I had to wait because no one else would help us, she treated us with patience and was so kind to our son. She is truly a wonderful county employee.

AN IDEOLOGICALLY indoctrinated ranter claims President Carter usurped state control of public schools. Hah! President Reagan usurped educational money by placing the burden of funding on the states. President Bush II did the same thing but insisted that the states answer to his central regime, turning the system into a tangled mess of futile promises and paperwork.

A RAVE FOR THE professional yardman working down the street right now, using a leaf blower that's no louder than a tuned lawn mower. A rant for the people who use deafeningly loud blowers for hours at a time, spewing noxious fumes everywhere.

A RAVE AND A HUGE thank you for Janette Sistrunk, math teacher at Augusta Tech, who went over and beyond the call of duty to help me out. God bless you, from a grateful student.

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK the crew at the Jiffy Lube on Baston Road for such great service; they were very quick and energetic.

A BIG RAVE TO Sally, Clay and Mike at Computer Logics in Daniel Village for the kind, friendly and prompt customer service that they give to their customers.

WHY DON'T YOU STOP printing hate-filled and pointless remarks? Get out of the gutter; it stinks down there. Will you print this? Of course not. Self-evaluation requires insight into the soul.

AMEN TO THE RANT about the Columbia County Commission allowing the construction of businesses that are built on top of well-established family developments. ... The buildings then sit empty! Meanwhile, the neighborhood suffers from the rainwater runoff, the construction noise and debris.

IF RICHMOND COUNTY deputies start shooting and killing Caucasian males during a traffic stop, then the black community will not be in disparity.

THANK YOU, U.S. military.

KMAAC
KMAAC 12/30/08 - 08:56 am
DD - A man of many talents -

DD - A man of many talents - Can enjoy a mini-van AND a Harley and cry during Chick-Flicks. Never lose touch with your sensitive side....it's one of your greatest charms (next to your Don Johnson wanna be beard stubble). ;-)

karmakills123
karmakills123 12/30/08 - 08:56 am
A bountiful and beautiful

A bountiful and beautiful good morning to everyone !!!!!

KMAAC
KMAAC 12/30/08 - 08:57 am
And no - you are not allowed

And no - you are not allowed to make any Tommy Chong jokes........

crazyoldman
crazyoldman 12/30/08 - 08:59 am
I’ve just got to say

I’ve just got to say something about the piece about the Families share holiday with Russian orphans: Don’t get me wrong this is real nice what these people have done although; there are many many American not to mention CSRA children living in different orphanages and in poverty and worse that have needs and wants. I don’t mean to sound ungrateful for these folks kindness but, we Americans already shunned American manufacturers and bought all the imported products and look at the mess that has caused across our great nation. Businesses filing bankruptcy, Factories closing, Many many Americans out of work yet, we continue to support other countries by buying and selling their products and adopting their children. Come on now, wake up America……..

DoubleD
DoubleD 12/30/08 - 09:00 am
Tommy Chong! That's a good

Tommy Chong! That's a good one...and you even sound like him man!

kat30815
kat30815 12/30/08 - 09:01 am
wow, somebody had a rave for

wow, somebody had a rave for a Jiffy Lube. Thats pretty rare but nice to see one is worthy of raving about.

DoubleD
DoubleD 12/30/08 - 09:02 am
PTHS, as young as I am, you'd

PTHS, as young as I am, you'd be surprised how old new recruits make me feel. I bet most of them have no idea who Don Johnson is. The other day I made a comment in class about Conan the Barbarian and they were clueless to what I was talking about. Is strange filling out personal data sheets and seeing Soldiers born in 1990.

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/30/08 - 09:05 am
christian, every one has an

christian, every one has an opinion, but my advice would be to skip Marley and Me. I was disappointed.

H222
H222 12/30/08 - 09:07 am
Double D, You are finding

Double D, You are finding out what most of us have found out. Don't buy a car new, wait at least one year and save $$$. I have an 05 Expolorer, bought it in 06 for $16k, had 12000 miles on it, the sticker still in dash- $30k. I bought an 06 Impala, loaded, leather, sunroof, etc. for $15k, had 9000 miles on it, listed new for $28k. Let someone put the first 10000 miles on it and save $10000, still has warranty, etc. Both my cars looked brand new when I bought them.

KMAAC
KMAAC 12/30/08 - 09:07 am
DD - One of the major reasons

DD - One of the major reasons for my retirement date was when folks started showing up (after 70+ weeks of tech training) that were born AFTER I had sworn The Oath.

I_Wear_Lipstick_2
I_Wear_Lipstick_2 12/30/08 - 09:07 am
I figure Marley dies at the

I figure Marley dies at the end of the movie. I read somewhere the movie spans 14 years but Jennifer Aniston and Owen Wilson don't age a bit...and I know dogs don't live forever. If that's why it's so sad, I don't want to see it.

jack234
jack234 12/30/08 - 09:10 am
I see where President-elect

I see where President-elect Obama will use the Lincoln bible when he takes the oath. There goes another scare tactic into the waste basket. '09 is looking better already. HELLO! HELLO!

Gstringmafia
Gstringmafia 12/30/08 - 09:11 am
Crazyoldman did you ever

Crazyoldman did you ever think that Americans don't want to adot ghetto orphans and would prefer white Russians instead.

christian134
christian134 12/30/08 - 09:12 am
Well your advice is more than

Well your advice is more than likely right on justhefacts...Can't handle anymore sad stuff...The problem is that the film clips show the best parts of a movie but when the actual viewing disappointment follows...Seems the best parts are the clips...Now one movie I really did enjoy was "Australia"...That one was great...Long but great...Plus grandson loves "Madagascar"...

1941
1941 12/30/08 - 09:13 am
DoubleD; What was the purpose

DoubleD; What was the purpose of the comment about the Jena 6?

politicallyNcorrect1
politicallyNcorrect1 12/30/08 - 09:13 am
Ok I'm not supposed to let

Ok I'm not supposed to let you all in on this secret, it's been guarded by white people since they gave cops weapons. Some I'm sure will be mad & very angry at me for releasing this top secret to the general public.This is why most white men are never shot & or killed during traffic stops. The secret is: When the MAN turns on his blue lights ,most of us STOP & stay stoped untill the MAN tells you :Thank you & have a nice day right after giving you a citation; Now at this point you turn on your direction siginals & merg into traffic. At NO TIME do you try to run over the MAN because you don't want him doing his job. If you follow this secret...YOU'LL BE OK !!!

DoubleD
DoubleD 12/30/08 - 09:14 am
I did notice that they didn't

I did notice that they didn't age, yet Owen's college buddy was sporting some grey hair at the end. It was a good family movie, but easily predictable after a few minutes into it. If you need a light comedy/tearjerker to take a date on, which some people have to be in the mood for, this is the movie. For my wife and I, we weren't in the mood for that and it kind of left us a little depressed afterwards, that is until I bought a Steele Reserve.

KMAAC
KMAAC 12/30/08 - 09:14 am
c134 - Stick with movies like

c134 - Stick with movies like "Up in Smoke" "Attack of The Killer Tomatos" The Song Remains The Same" and "Animal House". All those after you have watched Caddy Shack and Blazing Saddles about 10X each.

DoubleD
DoubleD 12/30/08 - 09:17 am
mimsy, it just happens to be

mimsy, it just happens to be top story today Why don't you ask the associated press why it's in the news today? My point is that they are violent criminals and should've been charged with the attempted murder for stomping that other boy, but as you see time takes care of everything. The idiot is a criminal and like our sweet Jed, he got what he deserved whether it was self-inflicted or not.

christian134
christian134 12/30/08 - 09:20 am
Blazing Saddles have seen so

Blazing Saddles have seen so many times can actually quote the script...Now that is sad...Of course Animal House was funny when it came out and in my view remains a classic of Comedy...

karmakills123
karmakills123 12/30/08 - 09:20 am
PTHS do not forget Young

PTHS do not forget Young Frankenstein.......oops turn the page........

I_Wear_Lipstick_2
I_Wear_Lipstick_2 12/30/08 - 09:24 am
I feel very young today. I

I feel very young today. I have never seen most of these movies y'all are quoting. And isn't Don Johnson that guy from the cop show a few years back? Driving that yellow convertible in San Francisco? Cheech was his partner? Anyone know what I'm talking about? LOL

Dukedirtbag
Dukedirtbag 12/30/08 - 09:27 am
Good Mornin Disgusta &

Good Mornin Disgusta & Trujees too

Robcat75
Robcat75 12/30/08 - 09:29 am
In RE of Article on Mortgage

In RE of Article on Mortgage fraud in Sundays Paper:
Praise God The attorney Wm. O Key was finally dealt with!! He did the same thing to me in 2001 it took what 7 years to close him down? His wife should be closed down too as she was a party to mine and probably others, hope she is still being investorgated. I had Mr. Long also and he is a wonderful caring attorney. The Federal court at that time was oblivious of what was going on. I was able to keep my land but took 7 years to get that outstanding debt off my credit record which in turn did hurt over the years having such an out standing debt on it that was not suppose to be there. He got off to lightly though and probably kept a millions and should have to relinquish all the properties he took from others. He and the mobile home dealers made out like FAT RATS. One year in an institution that is near his home, so easy if you have the money you sotle from others and our tax dollars. BAH HUM BUG. WE elderly need to be more cautious!!

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/30/08 - 09:32 am
Lipstick, Rockford Files is

Lipstick, Rockford Files is the answer to your question. James Garner, one of the best ever, was the star. He was also "Maverick". A great show. BTW, "Twilight" is very good.

KMAAC
KMAAC 12/30/08 - 09:34 am
karma - If we are gonna go

karma - If we are gonna go there - let's add "Dr Strangelove" to the list! w00t!

crazyoldman
crazyoldman 12/30/08 - 09:35 am
Yes Gstringmafia and that

Yes Gstringmafia and that just adds to the problems/worries.

I_Wear_Lipstick_2
I_Wear_Lipstick_2 12/30/08 - 09:50 am
justthefacts, no Rockford

justthefacts, no Rockford Files isn't the show I'm talking about. And Twilight was a fantastic book - but an awful movie.

workingmom
workingmom 12/30/08 - 09:51 am
What a beautiful morning! The

What a beautiful morning! The sun is shining, I have the rest of the week off and now I'm thinking going to the movies on a WEEK day just might be a wonderful way to spend part of my vacation!

inkpup
inkpup 12/30/08 - 10:12 am
WHAT in the Wide Wide World a

WHAT in the Wide Wide World a Sports is a goin on here?
Nobody memorializing the late Mr. Elmore no more?

New SafeHomes facility breaks ground

SafeHomes of Augusta broke ground Thursday on a larger facility that will allow the nonprofit agency to house more than twice the number of clients than its current shelter can hold.