Rants and Raves

Comments from our readers:

PROBLEMS DIDN'T BEGIN with President Carter. Carter inherited a sick economy characterized by Nixon's wage and price freezes and Ford's zany WIN buttons.

I CHEW TOBACCO , and the smokers tell me that's disgusting. That's crazy!

TO THE GUARDS ON Fort Gordon's gates: Thanks to all of you who stand on the gates day after day and night after night in rain, sleet and bone-chilling cold! Maybe your supervisors should stand there with you for a couple of hours.

A HUGE RAVE TO Villa Europa! We had our mom's surprise birthday party there, and they completely played along with it and just made it a great experience!

I WOULD LIKE TO give Walton Rehab in Augusta a big rave. All of the staff there are just wonderful. Anyone seeking rehab, choose Walton Rehab.

SPECIAL THANKS TO Heartland Hospice staff for the wonderful care given to my mother.

RAVE FOR APPLING tag office, but where is my favorite agent with the sense of humor and smile?

A RANT TO the employers that are still using illegal workers and for the government for not enforcing the laws regarding worker status.

I THINK IT'S SAD when people make martyrs out of criminals. It tells you what's happening in our society today.

THIS IS A BIG RAVE for Deputy Beasley and Joseph Quinlan for finding and returning my wallet Dec. 18. It's a joy to know that there are still honest people in this world. Thank you, and God bless.

TO THE PEOPLE WHO do wrong: They break the law, then it becomes the police officers' fault that a tragedy happened. Yes, human life was lost, but officers have to protect themselves from harm, as well as all the other innocent folks who didn't need to be put in harm's way in the first place.

THIS IS A RANT. President Bush dodged a shoe, and Augusta policemen couldn't dodge a car.

JUSTIN ELMORE wanted the attention; he got the attention. He wanted to be a player, and he got played.

A BIG RANT TO the judicial system for not having Mr. Elmore locked up. He'd be alive if the judges had quit letting him out on all these probation violations and new charges. Criminals need to be locked up, not returned to the street every few days.

As It Is
As It Is 12/28/08 - 05:32 am
I couldn’t agree more with

I couldn’t agree more with the rant regarding judges who continue to return habitual violators to the streets with minimal or no jail time. Very little jail time and 5 years probation for a second offense of selling drugs or other related crimes....give me a break. We all have choices in life and while a "wake up call" may work for some, it doesn't work for most and repeat offenders don't need a wakeup call because in most cases they have been given breaks throughout their lives, then a break from the police for something minor, then a break in juvenile court, then a break in superior court, then probation in superior court, then double secret probation. It isn't the judges’ job to decide if the jails are full or if this person deserves many breaks. It is however their job to protect society and those enforcing the laws from criminals whom have no respect for the laws of the land. Very few people are caught by the police on the first time they do something wrong be it a burglary, robbery or sell drugs, etc. Therefore, when they are finally caught, they have been given enough breaks as it is. Apply penalties to the laws and stop the mollycoddling.

KMAAC
KMAAC 12/28/08 - 05:38 am
As It Is - Well said as

As It Is - Well said as usual. However, J Carlisle Overstreet will get re-elected for the same reasons, and by the same folks, as 3PEBO.

elliottness
elliottness 12/28/08 - 05:46 am
you can't blame the judges

you can't blame the judges here.they have guidelines to go by.the system has min and max times that can be given by the court,he or she can't just make up a sentence and hand it out.apparently this guy was just a habitual offender but had no charges serious enough to put him away.it's hard to determine when all most of us see is whats written in the paper.yeah i think i'm lusting now pths bang bang,sucker.

the kid
the kid 12/28/08 - 05:48 am
good morning all from tha

good morning all from tha nice city of port orange fl.

As It Is
As It Is 12/28/08 - 06:03 am
elliotness, I agree to an

elliotness, I agree to an extent. However, a second offense of selling drugs can certainly warrant more than years of probation. Actually, many of his charges allow for plenty of jail time but instead fines and other punishments were issued. Maybe this would be ok on the first and/or second offense but when you are exceeding 15 offenses, you need to be in jail to get that "wake up call" that you aren't answering. Thanks PTHS and I agree with your comment as well. Wishing everyone a great and safe day...

KMAAC
KMAAC 12/28/08 - 06:04 am
El-Idiot-Mess - Why don't you

El-Idiot-Mess - Why don't you wake your mommy up so that she can make your oatmeal for breakfast and change your Depends. Make sure you hide the "girls" first though.

pofwe
pofwe 12/28/08 - 06:16 am
J Carlisle Overstreet, is as

J Carlisle Overstreet, is as much at fault for the death of Elmore as the Officer that shot him, maybe even more so. Overstreet failed to protect citizens by releasing the habitual offender time & time & time again. Shame on you Judge!!! Shame! Shame! Shame!

KMAAC
KMAAC 12/28/08 - 06:34 am
pofwe - I especially "like"

pofwe - I especially "like" the (in)action when he revoked Sweet Jed's parole - He didn't even issue an appearance date for his court. I'd like to see his bar tab from The Pinnacle Club.

rbk
rbk 12/28/08 - 06:45 am
Maybe you need to try dodging

Maybe you need to try dodging a car! The deputies shouldn't have had to dodge a car. The suspect should have obeyed the law and surrendered and he wouldn't have been killed. Even if he hadn't been guilty of anything else, he was guilty of not complying with a lawful order.

white_trash
white_trash 12/28/08 - 06:46 am
Let me get this right. The

Let me get this right. The blame for Jed getting shot goes to the judge, the deputies, and his environment. By that reasoning, next time you are going too slow in the left lane and I decide to put 80,000 lbs on your rear bumper it will be your fault for going to slow, your boss for telling you to be at work by 8:00, and your spouse for not waking you up in time. I can not be held responsible for my own actions.

white_trash
white_trash 12/28/08 - 06:48 am
Oh yeah, Good Morning

Oh yeah, Good Morning Awguster

christian134
christian134 12/28/08 - 07:14 am
Good Sunday morning...Ya'll

Good Sunday morning...Ya'll stay safe today..:-)

icanusethat
icanusethat 12/28/08 - 07:19 am
judge do not follow rudes

judge do not follow rudes well as the police don't...they give blacks more time for simple things then they do whites who rob banks and mess with lil kids.so get off that crap there.

christian134
christian134 12/28/08 - 07:23 am
Blame game is one of the

Blame game is one of the oldest...You right on target with your comment white...Just like to add a really novel excuse for not accepting responsibility...I believe "not my fault" game can all be traced back to the womb white trash...My children would look at me when they were caught doing something wrong and say "It is not my fault...I didn't ask to be born"...By that statement all their faults would automatically be laid at God's feet...

KMAAC
KMAAC 12/28/08 - 07:29 am
LOL c134 - Gimme a cuppa that

LOL c134 - Gimme a cuppa that joe you are drinking!

christian134
christian134 12/28/08 - 07:30 am
Good good brew this morning

Good good brew this morning PTHS...:-)

kiddspur
kiddspur 12/28/08 - 07:32 am
Hey white trash you can

Hey white trash you can always blow your toot toot thing at them, most of them are loud and can cause some people to move a little better. Lots of luck though, you may get waved at and told you are a Number 1 driver or is it One way to heaven, sometimes I get them mixed up. Careful out there you hear - someone may want to drive slow in front of you......zooooooooooooooooom

white_trash
white_trash 12/28/08 - 07:33 am
icanusethat, if the judges

icanusethat, if the judges give blacks more time for "simple things", why was Jed roaming the streets??? Shouldn't he have been incarerated for life??? Just accept the fact that if he had stopped the damn car he would be alive today. I witnessed a stop at Broad and Milledge last week, 6 cops and 1 car. The perp stopped, cooperated with the cops, no weapons were used, no one got hurt, all are still alive today.

KMAAC
KMAAC 12/28/08 - 07:37 am
WT - The K-9 doggies had fun

WT - The K-9 doggies had fun on that one too......

getalife
getalife 12/28/08 - 07:51 am
The police arrested Jed many

The police arrested Jed many times before without shooting at him. Had Jed stopped and obeyed the police he would be alive today, probably out on bond, waiting on a trial that would have released him back into his world of guns and drugs. Drug dealers that feed our children with their drugs should not be held up as heroes.

icanusethat
icanusethat 12/28/08 - 07:56 am
getalife just hush u don't

getalife just hush u don't know what he did you wasn't there so u going on what the police say it's 2 sides to every story and i do know police lie about everything to cover some up...just like that white boy who took the police on that high speed chase and kill that lady...guess what the police officer did'nt follow the rules had he done what they told him to do guess what that lady would be here today..bull crap talking about he did'nt hear to end the chase but they hear when it's time to kill.

KMAAC
KMAAC 12/28/08 - 08:00 am
unbelieveable - Y'all come on

unbelieveable - Y'all come on over for some grub and a sermon

white_trash
white_trash 12/28/08 - 08:02 am
icanusethat, English please,

icanusethat, English please, I am not fluent in eubonics.

icanusethat
icanusethat 12/28/08 - 08:10 am
white_trash should'nt you be

white_trash should'nt you be cleaning around your yard?i don't deal with the klan all the other members will be here in lil bit and trash stop d rydein you are not funny anymore..i don't care if my writing is mess up my money speak for me so i must be saying the right things.smh in the building lol.

white_trash
white_trash 12/28/08 - 08:38 am
I wasn't trying to be funny.

I wasn't trying to be funny. I try to write so that others can understand me. Sorry if intelligence and education are offensive to you.

Fire n Ice
Fire n Ice 12/28/08 - 08:41 am
happy sunday angie

happy sunday angie

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 12/28/08 - 08:46 am
It's time for the "first time

It's time for the "first time offender" baloney to stop. "You broke the law so let me reward you for that by giving you probation". Jolt the offender into reality with a sentence and make them serve 50 to 75% of the sentence. Perhaps then they will decide to turn away from a life of crime.

dale88fan
dale88fan 12/28/08 - 08:58 am
shoot to kill -- o wait --

shoot to kill -- o wait -- they did that !! GREAT JOB !! Case closed! Look at all the money we saved by buying a couple of bullets!

disssman
disssman 12/28/08 - 09:08 am
AII and Elliotness all these

AII and Elliotness all these problems will be solved when we have our state-of-the-art, multimillion dollar detention center built. I would bet it will be very attractive for all the visitors and will have all the amenities that prisoners need. Bottom line, why aren't we building Butler buildings on the edge of the county (cheap property) and limiting visitation to about once a month, if they are good little boys. Why do we need these hugely expensive monoliths, when we could do the same for a couple of bucks? Remember to vote for the SPLOST now, yall hear!

Just me 2
Just me 2 12/28/08 - 09:11 am
I agree with Dale88fan. This

I agree with Dale88fan. This thug should have been handled a long time ago. Just think of all the money wasted on public defenders and court trials that did not bother him in the least!!
I beieve in three strikes and you are out!!!

Historic building on Laney campus demolished

The demolition of the 89-year-old Cauley-Wheeler building on the Lucy C. Laney High School campus is over, but the plan for a building that will act as a link to the former site and its story has ...