Rants and raves

Comments from our readers.

THE QUALITY OF LIFE gets better as gas gets more expensive. There are fewer of the riff-raff joyriding with boom boxes. I pray that gas prices will soar. Poor people shouldn't be joyriding!

KUDOS TO THE Gracewood Pee Wee Cheerleaders who so graciously participated in the Gracewood State Hospital Christmas Parade. Thank you for keeping spirit in our school. And thanks for being role models to other students!

A BIG, FAT RANT to Augusta State University for not holding a December graduation ceremony.

THE TRIAL OF Brian Nichols in the Atlanta courts is the most blatant example of milking the taxpayers I have ever heard of.

I BEG TO DIFFER WITH a comment in the paper. Spanking is a form of discipline that some, but not all, children need. If people like you would mind your own business and let parents discipline their children as they see fit, maybe more of today's children would not be so unruly.

PARENTS, PLEASE KEEP your children in school. Augusta has so many adults who can't do simple math, like 30 percent off $50. It's a shame.

BIG RANT TO THE PERSON or person going around neighborhoods destroying Christmas decorations. God sees you.

GOVERNMENT AND MOST PEOPLE don't even know what credit cards are for. They're not to let you borrow money. They're a convenient way to buy without having to carry lots of cash, Credit cards were never intended to turn into long-term loans.

EIGHT INCHES OF SNOW in Louisiana. Ice storms and blizzards in the Northeast, and winter hasn't even begun yet. If Al "Chicken Little" Gore's "Global Warming" continues, we will all freeze to death.

IT IS PRETTY OBVIOUS we don't need a downtown stadium when we can't even keep the Lynx afloat.

A RAVE to Dr. Johnson and all the other folks at Doctors Hospital who were so patient and caring when my daughter broke her foot. She was scared, and your kindness comforted her during her ordeal. It was a blessing to have been treated by such friendly people. Merry Christmas to each of you and thank you again!

PRESIDENT BUSH'S shoe-thrower seemed to have good velocity and location. Even as we speak, the Atlanta Braves probably have someone en route to Iraq to sign this guy up.

AUGUSTA, WHY ARE you so fixated on the white/black issue? I have never seen such ignorance in one town.

atsugua13
atsugua13 12/26/08 - 03:01 am

Thank You Comcast for playing the same movie over and over and over for the last three days on channel 7. Cant get enough of it..NOT

atsugua13
atsugua13 12/26/08 - 03:35 am
The downtown Stadium proposal

The downtown Stadium proposal will be a giant reminder of our ridiculous spending on ridiculous items when the Green Jackets jump to a better offer in a different city. We seriously consider laying off and firing city employees yet we charge ahead on this big ticket item that frankly only the wealthy of Augusta want.

NEone
NEone 12/26/08 - 04:03 am
And from our very own Green

And from our very own Green Jackets, comes Henry Sosa, now playing major league baseball in San Francisco. Go Henry! Go Green Jackets!!!

christian134
christian134 12/26/08 - 04:07 am
Good morning day after

Good morning day after Christmas everyone...Hope everyone has a safe and great day...:-)

rbk
rbk 12/26/08 - 04:56 am
What a selfish, stupid

What a selfish, stupid comment to hope gas prices go up just to cut down on cars with loud radios cruising. Obviously that person either doesn't have to work or doesn't have to drive far to work. I don't care for the loud radios either, but I can't afford high gas prices.

GACopperhead
GACopperhead 12/26/08 - 05:18 am
Part of the effects of global

Part of the effects of global warming is erratic weather patterns. Snow in New Orleans doesn't mean there isn't a warming pattern. Check the science. Before all the right wingers out there start attacking me, I'm not saying that it's all man's fault. I do believe man has contributed to it, but think it's also partly cyclical. We still need to quit our senseless destruction of the earth we live on.

GACopperhead
GACopperhead 12/26/08 - 05:19 am
Besides, when has Augusta had

Besides, when has Augusta had a cold winter, lately?

rbk
rbk 12/26/08 - 05:19 am
Most parents do discipline

Most parents do discipline their children as they see fit, and you can certainly see the disastrous results in the way kids behave today. Most of them are selfish, think they should always get their own way regardless of whether in inconveniences anyone else, and totally disrespectful towards anyone else.

rbk
rbk 12/26/08 - 05:26 am
I have a big rave for FOX

I have a big rave for FOX News network. While most of the other news outlets were trying to be politically correct, FOX news aired wholesome Christmas programing with a few news breaks in between on Christmas day.

Trouble1
Trouble1 12/26/08 - 05:27 am
morning all

morning all

stillwaiting
stillwaiting 12/26/08 - 05:33 am
While I was disappointed that

While I was disappointed that there was no December graduation from ASU I could understand that the need to tighten budgets affects us all. President Bloodworth and the Alumni Association did a wonderful job of trying to make this December memorable for those who are graduating.

Trouble1
Trouble1 12/26/08 - 05:34 am
doesnt comcast have more than

doesnt comcast have more than one channel? I always thought that was what the remote was for, they show the same movie for 3 days straight, i change the channel, problem solved. i dont have comcast, but as i remember, channel 7 was tbs when i did have it, when did comcast start controling the programming on tbs?

white_trash
white_trash 12/26/08 - 05:37 am
Good Morning Awguster

Good Morning Awguster

edwarra
edwarra 12/26/08 - 05:39 am
Where has Patricia Thomas

Where has Patricia Thomas been?

Trouble1
Trouble1 12/26/08 - 05:40 am
gacopperhead, if you want to

gacopperhead, if you want to buy into the global warming crap you go right ahead, but if you want us to buy into it with you, you are going to have to explain to us how in the world global warming leads to freezing cold temps, i always thought that warming meant that it got hotter, not colder.

kat30815
kat30815 12/26/08 - 06:16 am
TBS is a network that comcast

TBS is a network that comcast carries. Comcast controls the commercials, and thats about it.

kiddspur
kiddspur 12/26/08 - 06:52 am
Hey edwarra -- patricia is

Hey edwarra -- patricia is still around, just being nice through the Christmas Holidays.

factchecker
factchecker 12/26/08 - 07:22 am
"We still need to quit our

"We still need to quit our senseless destruction of the earth we live on." Posted by GACopperhead on Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:18 AM - OH YEAH like recycling. It only takes almost twice the energy to recycle something than to make new. Trash is inevitable in any society So the real question here is: Do you want your children and grandchildren breathing in the added effects of the extra energy used or do you want them walking on the trash. My choice would be to walk on it (landfill) than to breath it in.

DoubleD
DoubleD 12/26/08 - 07:28 am
I guess yall have already

I guess yall have already said it; Comcast doesn't control what TBS is showing. Gas prices going up are the main cause for the reduction in consumer spending, which has resulted in the current recession and the struggling auto industry, starbucks closings, circuit city bankrupt, and so on and so on. So I disagree with the high gas prices. 2nd, I whip my son's azz but I also hug him and tell him I love him and explain why I whipped his butt, there is a big difference in spanking and abuse. Lastly, we do need our young men and women to stay in school longer. It is sad going to underdeveloped nations to see how highly educated many of them are, yet due to the competition many college grads will rarely see any kind of good employment. Many of our citizens don't deserve the opportunities and wealth they have, because they haven't earned any of it, nor do they appreciate what is afforded to us Americans. It's been so long ago that men died on this soil protecting our freedom....have people forgotten? Good morning gang.

factchecker
factchecker 12/26/08 - 07:29 am
So did everyone get what they

So did everyone get what they wanted from Santy? A lot of people didn't thanks to Carter and Clinton and their damn Community Reinvestment Act taking down the economy. Oh and don't forget those unions bringing down the Big 3 by their extensive and excessive demands over the years. What's the use in laying someone off to help the company bolster it's cash-flow if you still have to pay them almost all of their salary?

white_trash
white_trash 12/26/08 - 07:35 am
How about we become a

How about we become a reusable society again. Glass soda bottles that can be refilled, cotton diapers, glass milk bottles, etc.

DoubleD
DoubleD 12/26/08 - 07:42 am
That is a good idea white

That is a good idea white trash. Imagine how much a person could save on diapers. I quit buying coffee on my way to work back in jan-feb, and that alone saves me $50/month. I also bring water in a reusable container instead of bottled water, another $30. I now bring my lunch to work every day, thanks to my wife, another $100. If people change their way of life by waking up earlier and not buying unecessary things out of convenience they'd save a lot of money. I am thrifty...that's why I have savings. Its also why I cannot stand to have to pay my own money for milk when the person next to me get's free milk and drives a nicer car than me.

factchecker
factchecker 12/26/08 - 07:42 am
That would work Trash but no

That would work Trash but no one wants that inconvienience including most of those that want to "clean up the planet". I love the cotton diapers thing (I don't need to use them on my kids anymore). But as I get older I might need to buy diapers again so on second thought lets keep the Depends disposable (LOL).

politicallyNcorrect1
politicallyNcorrect1 12/26/08 - 07:43 am
Oops

Oops

PTHS225
PTHS225 12/26/08 - 07:45 am
Happy Kwanzaa, Sambos and

Happy Kwanzaa, Sambos and Sambettes!

christian134
christian134 12/26/08 - 07:49 am
Re: Ranter, riff-raff and

Re: Ranter, riff-raff and boom boxes...Not to worry...Within 5 years or less these same cretins will be as silent as the grave since they will be deaf...Not something to overwhelming rejoice over...Oh alright maybe a small applause...Deafness is for sure nevertheless...

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 12/26/08 - 07:57 am
What a nice uncontroversial

What a nice uncontroversial comment, PTHS. You really have that Christmas spirit.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 12/26/08 - 07:58 am
Global warming/global cooling

Global warming/global cooling has finally been relegated to it's previous position. Everybody talks about, but nobody does anything about it.

politicallyNcorrect1
politicallyNcorrect1 12/26/08 - 07:58 am
Hey Double...you can have all

Hey Double...you can have all those perks? Quit work & become a burden on society. Then you sleep till noon then get up go riding to the grocery store in your new car & pick up a gallon of free milk. I bet your excited all ready!

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 12/26/08 - 08:02 am
Did anyone see the commentary

Did anyone see the commentary that said the "Bush shoe-thrower" has caused a huge surge in the orders for the same type of shoe - from all over the world. The manufacturer said he produced about 100 pairs a month of this type of shoe until the "reporter" threw his on international television. The manufacturer claims to have received 500,000 orders since the incident. Funny stuff.

Missouri wins SEC East, knocks Georgia out of running

COLUMBIA, Mo. - Marcus Murphy scored the go-ahead touchdown on a 12-yard run with 4:38 remaining and Markus Golden recovered a fumble to seal No. 17 Missouri's 21-14 victory Friday against ...