Rants and raves

Comments from our readers.

MR. CARL, of Savannah River Keeper Inc., is "surprised" to find trash in the Savannah River? If he's such a hot keeper, why didn't he already know? Besides, he's never been elected to keep the river that his group appears to think they, and they alone, own. Maybe he should just quietly watch the river from the perspective of nature rather than politics.

OBAMA CALLS socialism "opportunity." It's Obama's opportunity to become a dictator.

RAVE FOR THE Columbia County Sheriff's Department for holding a citizens firearms course. It is a great community service.

WHOEVER WAS IN charge of designing the new approach to Bobby Jones Expressway from Scott Nixon Drive should be fired. It is not clear at all.

RAVE TO THE CHILD who spoke up and told she had been touched inappropriately and the mother that cared enough to believe and file the necessary paperwork to put this person in jail.

A RAVE TO the gentleman who paid for two very senior citizens' dinner at Golden Corral on Oct. 29. Thank you.

SOME COMPLAINED THAT Sarah Palin can't pronounce nuclear. Maybe she has never heard Jimmy Carter pronounce it.

I WOULD LIKE to know how much money the city of Augusta could save if we got rid of Fred Russell. The only thing I've seen him do is propose raising our taxes.

I'M CALLING ABOUT Glenn Hills High School. I don't think Glenn Hills is a bad school, but I think the children that go there need some parents to guide them.

A RAVE FOR a salesman in customer service at Toys "R" Us. My grandson was looking for a Thomas the Train outfit for Halloween and she referred me to another store and I found it and I made him very happy

WE ALREADY HAVE socialism here in the United States. It's called Social Security, and if we're smart, we'll get rid of it finally and quit wasting the taxpayers' money.

KSL
KSL 11/08/08 - 02:45 pm
What's wrong with us whining,

What's wrong with us whining, RCR? Listening to y'all whine and complain and insult.

PTHS225
PTHS225 11/08/08 - 02:47 pm
RCR - We've been listening to

RCR - We've been listening to mouthy nonsense from uninformed, ignorant, lazy, "underserved", folks who think they were born in the mid-1800's for almost 8 years. Now it's your turn. I'm guessing that in about 2 years (if he is still President), you'll be calling him "that whitey-Arab" and disavowing any shared (imagined) racial ties. We don't have to say anything, just sit back and watch the bumbling and stumbling as the token marionette dances around the stage with puppetmasters Pelosi and Reid playing him until they tire of him.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 11/08/08 - 02:52 pm
RCR, You're right. It's not

RCR, You're right. It's not that McCain was any better choice then Obama, it's just that Obama is so much worse then McCain. The truth is, not many people voted for McCain, most either voted for Palin or against Obama. Neither was a strong enough message to carry the day. McCain's effort reminded me of Dole's effort. He epitomized the "stick at a gun fight" analogy. Considering Obama's stand on the 2nd amendment and national defense, it's kind of funny.

mable8
mable8 11/08/08 - 02:53 pm
To the ranter re Social

To the ranter re Social Security--I PAID into that fund, so anything I receive belongs to ME. Social Security is NOT a socialist program...get your #@#@ facts straight. It isn't my fault the government borrowed from the funds set aside and jeopardized future recipients...but I paid my dues. At least today you have a choice, invest in a 401K or Social Security; when I began working, we had no such choice. Perhaps you should discuss your feelings with Obama; he wants to tax your 401K!

white_trash
white_trash 11/08/08 - 03:04 pm
mable8, please tell me how I

mable8, please tell me how I have a choice for a 401 or social security. I would love to be able to put whatI pay in ss in a 401. Seriously, tell me how this is done.

KSL
KSL 11/08/08 - 03:05 pm
It wasn't only that Mable.

It wasn't only that Mable. They added people to the coverage who had not paid in much at all during years that they worked and let the collect the minimum. And they lived much longer than was expected. I will collect on my husband's because he has made so much more money than I have. All that was paid in my name is forever lost to me.

KSL
KSL 11/08/08 - 03:06 pm
I don't have a 401K, but I

I don't have a 401K, but I have a SEP. I'm with you white trash.

PTHS225
PTHS225 11/08/08 - 03:41 pm
How about them Tarheels!!!

How about them Tarheels!!! The pesky mini-hornets have been exterminated.

stevie ray
stevie ray 11/08/08 - 03:46 pm
It was pete. I remember now.

It was pete. I remember now. He was using another name, but everybody called him Pete is what I remember. My wife was just asking me about him this morning. Thank you kathysueloudermilk.

karmakills123
karmakills123 11/08/08 - 04:22 pm
LOL..back a few hours later

LOL..back a few hours later and the games continue.....Don't Blame Me..I Voted for McCain !!!!........

Nammy
Nammy 11/08/08 - 04:25 pm
w00t! time for my nap...good

w00t! time for my nap...good day ya'll!

RUbetteroff
RUbetteroff 11/08/08 - 04:33 pm
"It's not that McCain was any

"It's not that McCain was any better choice then Obama, it's just that Obama is so much worse then McCain. " - I don't believe it's possible to contrive a more inane sentence. I have faith in you Bubbas, though. The depths of your ignorance can never be fully plumbed. By the way, the word is THAN.

jack
jack 11/08/08 - 04:37 pm
factchecker, I remember when

factchecker, I remember when Eisenhower was selling the military on paying into SS so they could have two retirements. Then along come the DIMocRATS and make a liar out of him and he was President. Of course, we allknow a liar has just been elected so nothing new, I guess.

jack
jack 11/08/08 - 04:42 pm
The DIMs placed income taxes

The DIMs placed income taxes on SS security payments and then raised them. Now up to 28%. Also screwed military retirees with "off sets" though we paid the full SS tax in but ain't getting it out.

Tujeez
Tujeez 11/08/08 - 04:58 pm
You got me in your Master eye

You got me in your Master eye there RCR, I don't worry about Social Security or MEDICARE(maybe you have trouble with fine print).

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 11/08/08 - 05:01 pm
jack: I joined the military

jack: I joined the military in 1959 and paid into SS. I retired from the military and get both a social security and military retired check with no offset!

Tujeez
Tujeez 11/08/08 - 05:01 pm
I was anwering a post by

I was anwering a post by concernedadult. If you got your lazy Adz outta bed before 11:00 you could get in on the conversation, and not have to live in the past.

Tujeez
Tujeez 11/08/08 - 05:03 pm
NLA, IF you put your glasses

NLA, IF you put your glasses on you'd see that jack didn't say that they didn't. He just said that they are :OFFSET"

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 11/08/08 - 05:08 pm
Tujeez: THERE IS NO OFFSET. I

Tujeez: THERE IS NO OFFSET. I get full military retired pay and I get full SS.

Tujeez
Tujeez 11/08/08 - 05:09 pm
NLA, Nice Editingon your 4:01

NLA, Nice Editingon your 4:01 but, no one here is buying that one. You must have been in Military Intelligence.

karmakills123
karmakills123 11/08/08 - 05:11 pm
Toot..Toot.It's gonna be a

Toot..Toot.It's gonna be a hoot.!! where are you jack123?..Did the obama not reward you for all your gassey toots??? LOL...Don't Blame Me,, I voted For Mc Cain !!!!

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 11/08/08 - 05:11 pm
Tujeez: No matter how you

Tujeez: No matter how you read it, THERE IS NO OFFSET. BTDT. I get FULL military retired pay and FULL SS.

factchecker
factchecker 11/08/08 - 05:15 pm
Geez, no longer amazed - read

Geez, no longer amazed - read the post I made this morning which says an accountant told me that the dems have plans to do a ss offset with federal retirements. Didn't say it's happening now.

factchecker
factchecker 11/08/08 - 05:16 pm
Don't know if it is true or

Don't know if it is true or not but I heard from an accountant that now that the Dems are in control they plan to save Social Security by taking other government retirements you get and subracting it from your SSN payments. So if you are retired military and you get $1100.00 a month and you get 1700.00 a month from SSN you end up getting your $1100.00 from the military and only $600.00 from SSN. I did my 20 years in the military and I payed into SSN all my life. They plan on doing it with teacher and railroad retireees and any other govt employees. We all did our time and payed into SSN too. We should get the full amount of both due us.
Posted by factchecker on Sat Nov 8, 2008 6:11 AM

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 11/08/08 - 05:32 pm
factchecker: I saw your

factchecker: I saw your earlier post and understand you said it is a 'plan.' However, jack's 3:42 PM says that military retired pay is already being 'offset.' That is who my 4:01 PM comment was to. Tujeez's opinion supports jack, but you know what they say about opinions!

Tujeez
Tujeez 11/08/08 - 05:44 pm
Why do you think they(the

Why do you think they(the GOV) ended CSRS and started FERS. They will compute the last dollar payout and shift the balance over to help out Social Security. This money isn't in an Account somewhere, it is a figure equal to the total of contributions plus Interest. Social Security is the Same. Medicare......Ditto. They have long spent our money. If the money WAS in a seperate Account, The funding money wouldn't be included in the Annual Budget Put Out by the GAO. Live and learn, they only SAY that the funds are low so they can cut benefits. The spread sheets are low, no doubt but, if they made a promise to pay you, why should they renig. The funds are not relevant, your income is, especially in your senior years. They are printing paper to bail out the World, so why should the taxpayer take a paycut. Politics as usuall. Don't be a mushroom.

Tujeez
Tujeez 11/08/08 - 05:46 pm
NLA, Did you make 30 years in

NLA, Did you make 30 years in the military?

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 11/08/08 - 05:50 pm
Tujeez: 27

Tujeez: 27

Tujeez
Tujeez 11/08/08 - 05:53 pm
Commissioned?

Commissioned?

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 11/08/08 - 05:56 pm
Tujeez: 8 USAF enlisted, 19

Tujeez: 8 USAF enlisted, 19 USA warrant.