Rants and raves

Comments from our readers.

MR. CARL, of Savannah River Keeper Inc., is "surprised" to find trash in the Savannah River? If he's such a hot keeper, why didn't he already know? Besides, he's never been elected to keep the river that his group appears to think they, and they alone, own. Maybe he should just quietly watch the river from the perspective of nature rather than politics.

OBAMA CALLS socialism "opportunity." It's Obama's opportunity to become a dictator.

RAVE FOR THE Columbia County Sheriff's Department for holding a citizens firearms course. It is a great community service.

WHOEVER WAS IN charge of designing the new approach to Bobby Jones Expressway from Scott Nixon Drive should be fired. It is not clear at all.

RAVE TO THE CHILD who spoke up and told she had been touched inappropriately and the mother that cared enough to believe and file the necessary paperwork to put this person in jail.

A RAVE TO the gentleman who paid for two very senior citizens' dinner at Golden Corral on Oct. 29. Thank you.

SOME COMPLAINED THAT Sarah Palin can't pronounce nuclear. Maybe she has never heard Jimmy Carter pronounce it.

I WOULD LIKE to know how much money the city of Augusta could save if we got rid of Fred Russell. The only thing I've seen him do is propose raising our taxes.

I'M CALLING ABOUT Glenn Hills High School. I don't think Glenn Hills is a bad school, but I think the children that go there need some parents to guide them.

A RAVE FOR a salesman in customer service at Toys "R" Us. My grandson was looking for a Thomas the Train outfit for Halloween and she referred me to another store and I found it and I made him very happy

WE ALREADY HAVE socialism here in the United States. It's called Social Security, and if we're smart, we'll get rid of it finally and quit wasting the taxpayers' money.

Tujeez
Tujeez 11/08/08 - 09:30 am
...........And have Bones

...........And have Bones ready with a Rib Splint..............

RAWR
RAWR 11/08/08 - 09:49 am
DoubleD they actually showed

DoubleD they actually showed that video clip in the class. Except for the part when he asks to handle the AR-15/M4. I asked them howcome they didnt show that part because it is great. :D

wizzardx1
wizzardx1 11/08/08 - 09:53 am
i thought this was a forum

i thought this was a forum for rants and raves-nothing but a chat room .

PTHS225
PTHS225 11/08/08 - 09:56 am
wizzardx1 - Was that meant as

wizzardx1 - Was that meant as a Rant or a Rave? I can't tell - could go either way.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 11/08/08 - 09:57 am
Oh I remember (and miss) the

Oh I remember (and miss) the days when dumb people couldn't figure out how to get on the internet. Pretty bad when you have fact checkers out here who don't have a CLUE!!!!!

white_trash
white_trash 11/08/08 - 10:19 am
This isn't a chat

This isn't a chat room???????????

DoubleD
DoubleD 11/08/08 - 10:28 am
4 Black Marine Corp Privates

4 Black Marine Corp Privates Rape, Torture, Murder, and burn a white Marine SGT and his new Black Bride! Where is the National Outcry For This Hate Crime!?! http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/4_Marines_Charged_in_Murder_of_Mar...

TroubIe
TroubIe 11/08/08 - 10:28 am
morning everyone

morning everyone

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 11/08/08 - 10:32 am
My dad substitute-taught at

My dad substitute-taught at Glenn Hills High School after retiring from the military. He said all his experience as a drill sergeant, teacher, drug counselor in the military still did not prepare him for what he met at that school. And that was years ago. (thankfully, long after I graduated from there). He recommended if I decided to teach in Richmond County, not to attempt grades above the elementary level, no matter what my level of ability was, because of the discipline problems, behavior problems and lack of parental support in the middle grades and up. I was hoping things were getting better lately. Any sign of that?

BamaMan
BamaMan 11/08/08 - 10:38 am
I have to agree about the B

I have to agree about the B Jones & Scott Nixon area. It isn't very clear. I ended up having to turn RIGHT, and go all the way up to Wheeler Rd and get turned around, just to go towards Lowe's! I wanted to turn left in the beginning, and it wasn't clear about WHERE to go!

Tujeez
Tujeez 11/08/08 - 10:38 am
Had alot of time on your

Had alot of time on your hands back then Huh TR?

PTHS225
PTHS225 11/08/08 - 10:50 am
BamaMan - Here is a hint when

BamaMan - Here is a hint when driving through construction zones and road changes around Augusta. "NO LEFT TURN" ever, it costs $280

God save America
God save America 11/08/08 - 11:00 am
both the dem. and rep have

both the dem. and rep have used social security for other things and not pay it back. where do you get your info. but you need to go someplace else. don't try to put all of this on the Republicans when the dem. also did it

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 11/08/08 - 11:04 am
DoubleD. In reference to the

DoubleD. In reference to the horrific crime in that link: I think you know already that there is media suppression of what is really going on in this country. I'm surprised we got this much information from any source. I challenge you to find anything anywhere other than poster comments that says it's a hate crime, because it is black on white crime, which in the eyes of the media, is ignored as a possibility. I don't like the label "hate crime" because all crimes are hate crimes in my eyes, but if certain white on black crime is going to be labeled hate crimes, certain black on white crime should also be investigated as such, or the category of hate crimes done away with altogether. In this case, even more so, since four black men allegedly killed a mixed race couple, certainly the possibility that this is a hate crime should not be ruled out if we are going to have that category of crime at all.

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 11/08/08 - 11:09 am
_iamabadamerican: Just got up

_iamabadamerican: Just got up so I am late in the discussion. The VA offset used to exist with military retirement. However, with CRDP the offset is being reduced and will eventually be gone so that you get both full military retirement and VA. If you have a combat related disability you might be eligible for CRSC instead of the CRDP, and elect to get paid the one that pays you more. Both CRSC and CRDP are tax free. You have to apply for CRSC, and if qualified you might be eligible for a retroactive payment º¿º http://www.military.com/benefits/military-pay/special-pay/combat-related...

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 11/08/08 - 11:15 am
Here's another link.

Here's another link. http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Report_Slain_Marine_Wife_Tortured.... What's telling is the police say the motive was financial and both mothers (the mothers of the bride and groom) say they don't believe that. I believe the moms. And my heart hurts. Man's inhumanity to man. This was a beautiful couple, good people and these four young Marines allegedly have stolen their lives, their futures and even worse what they did to them before they died.

Tujeez
Tujeez 11/08/08 - 11:22 am
Guess that's just another

Guess that's just another example of someones definition of "Our Turn"

Tujeez
Tujeez 11/08/08 - 11:25 am
Sounds like these "Few Good

Sounds like these "Few Good Men" Need a tour with the Tunnell Rats in Afghanistan.

PTHS225
PTHS225 11/08/08 - 11:38 am
At least we got baroness'

At least we got baroness' daily fix of tragedy, horror, and shock out of the way early. I'm taking find a "crisis du jour" off my to-do list. I think DD's point was that had it been 4 white PVT's that killed a black NCO who had wed a white woman, the outrage would have been huge. I do not disagree with him. Where are the Rev's Al and Jesse now?

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 11/08/08 - 11:42 am
As the CFO of this business

As the CFO of this business that employees 140 people, I have resigned

myself to the fact that Barrack Obama will be our next President, and

that our taxes and government fees will increase in a BIG way.

To compensate for these increases, I figure that the Clients will have

to see an increase in our fees to them of about 8% but since we cannot

increase our fees right now due to the dismal state of our economy, we

will have to lay off six of our employees instead. This has really been

eating at me for a while, as we believe we are family here and I didn't

know how to choose who will have to go.

So, this is what I did. I strolled thru our parking lot and found 8

Obama bumper stickers on our employees' cars and have decided these

folks will be the first to be laid off. I can't think of a more fair way

to approach this problem. These folks wanted change; I gave it to them.

If you have a better idea, let me know.

Tujeez
Tujeez 11/08/08 - 11:59 am
Did you see Jesse crying at

Did you see Jesse crying at the Victory Celebration? He was crying because he knows he'll never get past the Secret Service to get at those Cajones now.

Tujeez
Tujeez 11/08/08 - 12:00 pm
Maybe He and Al are planning

Maybe He and Al are planning a Coup.

stevie ray
stevie ray 11/08/08 - 12:05 pm
A few months ago, there was a

A few months ago, there was a person on here that predicted gas prices would fall to real low prices soon. They predicted by Labor day I think but the Hurricane got in the way. Anybody remember who that was? I would love to email with that guy and get some tips on changes in my retirement and benefit packages. He gave the reasons the price would drop and they all panned out. He got laughed at in here and he was right. I cannot remember his name for the life of me and it'll be my luck that he is gone.

Tujeez
Tujeez 11/08/08 - 12:07 pm
Concernedadult, Congress has

Concernedadult, Congress has no"Pot of Gold" that they keep Social Security and Medicare funds in. They only keep a tally of contributions to date to limit the benefits of Retirees. Too bad they won't do that with taxes, They could call it a Budget. What a Novel Idea.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 11/08/08 - 12:54 pm
After this truly historic

After this truly historic election, historic in so many ways, I have, for the first time in my life, NOT collected any mementos for my time capsule. I'm so ashamed of so many Americans. Ignorance and a lack of objective thought has become the rule of the day. Who knew so many would fall for those silly movies and commercials? The lines between reality and fantasy have been blurred for so many.

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 11/08/08 - 01:22 pm
So Pat, if we had voted for

So Pat, if we had voted for John McCain, we would be considered imformed, to you. This 11:54, is the definition of selfrighteous ignorance. That should be in Webster's.Tujeez, why are you worried about Social Security and Medicaid, now. When the GOP was in charge, they didn't do anything. That's why they got FIRED!!!!! Maybe you McCain/Palin supporters, should adopt "Another One Bite the Dust" as your theme song. It's so appropriate!!!!!!

factchecker
factchecker 11/08/08 - 01:44 pm
RCR - We would have gotten

RCR - We would have gotten and did get more of the same no matter who got elected. Obama so far has only picked Washington insiders to surround himself with. What kind of change is that?

KSL
KSL 11/08/08 - 01:51 pm
stevie, I believe it was

stevie, I believe it was someone named pete. And he does give good advice. I don't give out email addresses without the owner's permission, though.

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 11/08/08 - 02:01 pm
Factchecker, maybe he should

Factchecker, maybe he should check with his vanquished opponents, before he chooses his team. I guess we're in for four years of whinning.How does dust taste?

Trouble1
Trouble1 11/08/08 - 02:44 pm
stevie raye, im thinking that

stevie raye, im thinking that was ibewalking, but i could be wrong, i know he told me on here that they would drop back down

Group demands hearing on commissioner appointment

City leaders appeared to warm to a request Monday by the West Augusta Alliance to hold one or more public hearings before appointing an interim District 7 commissioner to serve until Donnie ...