Rants and raves

Comments from our readers.

ELECTION'S OVER. Look for the price of gas to start rising again.

IT'S SAD HOW much these candidates spent. Think of the good things that could have been done with all those millions of dollars.

I WISH MORE PEOPLE who live in Blythe would start attending our city council meetings. Everyone should see how unqualified the mayor and city council are.

AUGUSTA AMONG schools with large black populations, has the sixth lowest graduation rate (for black males) in the whole USA? Also, the white male graduation rate isn't much better, just 43 percent? That's beyond pathetic.

KUDOS TO THE Greater Augusta Sports Council and all the sponsors of the first Augusta Half Marathon. The course and volunteers were extremely well-organized -- can't wait for next year!

A BIG RANT to the person who lives on Keysville Road in Burke County. You think the lovely chimes at Blythe Methodist Church should be louder. The children who live close to that church are getting their eardrums blown out by these beautiful chimes so that selfish people like you who live miles away can hear.

WHAT WOULD IT TAKE to extend the sidewalk along the Harlem-Grovetown Road from the middle school to Euchee Creek Park? The distance is probably less than half a mile and would make it a much safer walk.

A BIG RAVE to the Blythe police department, especially Chief Hornsby. They really do a great job.

A RAVE FOR A MAN named Daniel that stopped at the scene of an accident to help me and my son.

RAVES to the Richmond County Board of Education for hiring Dr. Bedden as well as for working with him to establish a student learning-focus in schools and to establish open communication with the Augusta community at large.

Reality
Reality 11/06/08 - 08:06 am
acceptance, I said the

acceptance, I said the opposite of what you read, I don't think my absentee ballot was ever opened. It should count as a vote why would you discount it? Obama didn't win the states by very much, but that is the way the electoral college works.

Acceptance
Acceptance 11/06/08 - 08:07 am
When referring to our "black

When referring to our "black youth" christian134, be careful they very well may be your leader at some point. And Karmakills didn't watch the same election that all the other americans did I guess. You don't have to like President Obama or trust him, I have seen what putting trust in the Bush administration has done for this country. Don't pay your taxes, they get used to bailout the big corporations while funding the CEO's next big getaway. I am one of the first to admit he's got a long hard road ahead of him trying to clean up the messes of the last 8 years.

christian134
christian134 11/06/08 - 08:09 am
Actually it is past time for

Actually it is past time for putting the blame as the blame has to be laid on the doorstep of decades ago beginning with Kennedy...I have sat back and watched as the country has fallen into tremendous debt by the shenanigans of politicians, massive corporations, and the rise of taxes on said companies...The influx of cheap labor into this nation as well as the relocation of companies overseas has bankrupted us into something of a third world nation...Your right Bush helped it all out but he didn't do it by himself...This has been coming down the line for as long as I can remember...To further the indulgence of the rich I look at all the millions and millions spent frivolously on campaigning...Obama's campaign but McCain was out there spending just not to the same extent..Now Obama wishes to spend millions more on "reparations" due his people as well as dividing wealth among the lower income folks...I cannot support such actions but I will continue to pray for saner heads to lead Obama down the right path for the betterment of all Americans not just a few..Hence the money tree is a promise that cannot be kept unless he,Obama, expects support from other nations coffers...

white_trash
white_trash 11/06/08 - 08:09 am
The Electoral College is out

The Electoral College is out dated and need to go.

Reality
Reality 11/06/08 - 08:09 am
This election was brought to

This election was brought to you by Harpo Productions.

Acceptance
Acceptance 11/06/08 - 08:14 am
The Dow has been up and down

The Dow has been up and down for how long? My apologies Reality, I am sure the good election folk that we have counted every ballot and I am not saying it shouldn't count, what I said was your state did back McCain and whether or not you agree with the electoral college your right, that is how it works. With that being said, seems many Americans didn't believe in McCain this year.

karmakills123
karmakills123 11/06/08 - 08:15 am
"When referring to our "black

"When referring to our "black youth" christian134, be careful they very well may be your leader at some point."..Whoa !..is that a threat?? So what if they are going to be our leaders.?? Are you actually saying that black leaders are somehow going to intimidate??? That will use threats to scare the people from talking about them??? Are you nuts??

christian134
christian134 11/06/08 - 08:15 am
I really do not have to be

I really do not have to be politically correct anymore Acceptance...I also will speak out against public display of Black Panther Black Fists being raised in stores I frequent as a new way of meet and greet time between black youth...It is just a tad over the top and really has no place in a society that must pull together if we are to survive in a world full of terrorists who live for nothing but the total destruction of the United States of America...I will stand up for my country, I will fight for my country, I will be lead but I draw the line at being driven just because something is not politically correct...

shivas
shivas 11/06/08 - 08:19 am
The real story is the

The real story is the rejection of right-wing policies and hate speech/rhetoric. A GOP expert has described his party as being regionalized in the South, and losing more territory every day. Just look at the massive losses in the Senate and House. Instead of taking responsibility for their failure, many on this blog will continue to tune-in to Rush and Hannity and be spoon-fed more conspiracy drivel as to why no one is listening to them. SOmetimes it's best to look at oneself realistically rather than continue to make-up child-like stories as to their failure.

NEone
NEone 11/06/08 - 08:21 am
...even Obama's own

...even Obama's own grandmother couldn't bear to see him win...

Acceptance
Acceptance 11/06/08 - 08:23 am
I would like to know WHICH

I would like to know WHICH President has made promises he hasn't kept, and sorry Reality I work and pay taxes and "I gots mines" isn't even in my vocabulary, glad to see you can talk the talk though may come in handy for you at some point. You don't have to like my opinions but they are mine and last I checked being and American and living in America means that's my right just as it is for you and everyone else to post their opinion. Have a great day :)

PTHS225
PTHS225 11/06/08 - 08:23 am
NEone - That's only because

NEone - That's only because she was "..a typical white person".

rbk
rbk 11/06/08 - 08:26 am
Regarding the graduation rate

Regarding the graduation rate in the schools, there is enough blame to be spread around in all different directions. First of all there is sorry parenting or absentee parents. Then there is a failed society which exerts the wrong kind of peer pressure on the kids. And finally there are some (not all) sorry teachers and administrators in the schools that have no business being in those positions.

Reality
Reality 11/06/08 - 08:34 am
Your right acceptance, that's

Your right acceptance, that's why I retracted my comment directed at you.

factchecker
factchecker 11/06/08 - 08:34 am
Jesse jackson and Al Sharpton

Jesse jackson and Al Sharpton should be out of jobs now. The race is no longer the "oppressed" minority.

GR-10
GR-10 11/06/08 - 08:35 am
FDR said, The Only Thing We

FDR said, The Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself. Keeping occupied mentally and emotionally with fearful ideas, prevents a person from examining facts and ideas that are outside of their personal fear box. There are plenty of sites on the web that could be gleaned for alternative ideas. Go to Ron Paul's website, or realnews.com,breakthematrix.com read news from Europe, see how and what other people are thinking and doing. By staying inside a personal fear box, people are missing the globalization of the world, to include, The North American Union. And, November 4, 2008 Northcom has announced that two more U.S. military units will be assigned for domestic homeland security missions, bringing the total number of combat ready service members operating inside the U.S. to around 4,700, as fears grow about the increasing militarization of law enforcement. Look at the news clips of how the Iraqi War Vets against the war were trampled by police on horseback at the last debate. Now that's something to be really concerned about.

factchecker
factchecker 11/06/08 - 08:39 am
GR-10 - I'm not ready for the

GR-10 - I'm not ready for the Globalization of the world. That is the first step to armaggedon. Well, come to think of it, being a Jew and one of G-d's chosen people I'm almost guaranteed to go up. So OK, bring it on. LOL

eeyore382
eeyore382 11/06/08 - 08:46 am
to all republicans pack your

to all republicans pack your bags cause America is goning to hell in a hand basket by the way Canada has closed it's borders to all republicans but Mexico's borders are all open and welcomes the republicans.

DoubleD
DoubleD 11/06/08 - 08:47 am
With the possibility of us

With the possibility of us pulling out of Iraq and future terrorist attacks on U.S. soil, and us being unarmed citizens; I'm glad I don't live in L.A., New York, or D.C. I'm pretty sure we'll be safe in Augusta.

GR-10
GR-10 11/06/08 - 08:51 am
“If I am not for myself, who

“If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If I am not for others, what am I? And if not now, when?”

devilishlymad67
devilishlymad67 11/06/08 - 08:55 am
Death of the American Dream,

Death of the American Dream, socialism, greed, and muslim leadership will begin under the obamanites.

georgiaboy30909
georgiaboy30909 11/06/08 - 08:56 am
The Idiots of this land that

The Idiots of this land that once was the greatest nation on the face of the earth, is now talked about around the world like this. What a disgrace to American Society. ""You have to pinch yourself - a Marxist radical who all his life has been mentored by, sat at the feet of, worshiped with, befriended, endorsed the philosophy of, funded and been, in turn, funded, politically promoted and supported by a nexus comprising black power anti-white racists, Jew-haters, revolutionary Marxists, unrepentant former terrorists and Chicago mobsters, is on the verge of becoming President of the United States. And apparently it's considered impolite to say so." - Melanie Philips, The Spectator ( UK ) 10/14/08 "

truthbeliever
truthbeliever 11/06/08 - 08:56 am
C134, find yourself a good

C134, find yourself a good psychiatrist- a board certified one. Don't despair if the first medication doesn't work. It often takes a few weeks to see the full effect. Then, when you attend your support group, share with them the far-reaching effects of pure hatred and ignorance. If all else fails, perhaps you should consider moving to Canada with the rest of your cronies.

PTHS225
PTHS225 11/06/08 - 08:57 am
A thought for the day: John

A thought for the day: John Maynard Keynes said, "Words ought to be a little wild for they are the assault of thought on the unthinking."

tusmooth1
tusmooth1 11/06/08 - 08:58 am
how funny, the election is

how funny, the election is over and you are still arguing about barack obama.....oops president elect barack obama. please people work with the new administration and roll up your sleeves to help bring america back up. we are still arguing when we need to unite. when will you just get it?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 11/06/08 - 08:58 am
SIEG HEIL !!, SIEG HEIL !!,

SIEG HEIL !!, SIEG HEIL !!, just practicing.

christian134
christian134 11/06/08 - 08:59 am
What is your problem

What is your problem truthbeliever? Do I offend you so much with my opinion as to how I look at life? Do you feel threatened by my comments? Do you feel yourself to be unparalleled with your slurs and righteous indignation to my very presence?

PTHS225
PTHS225 11/06/08 - 08:59 am
DD - You forgot Chicago which

DD - You forgot Chicago which is the current "handgun-free" murder champion of the US.

PTHS225
PTHS225 11/06/08 - 09:01 am
tusmooth1 - Funny, it's been

tusmooth1 - Funny, it's been 8 years since President Bush was elected and you are still whining. Get back to your crack pipe if you think it's gonna stop.

factchecker
factchecker 11/06/08 - 09:02 am
TB - Sorry to disappoint you

TB - Sorry to disappoint you but Republicans don't cut and run and don't threaten to when they don't get their way. We can work through anything. Sorry I can't say the same things about Democrats. Some of the most famous celebrity Dems threatened to cut and run like when Bush was re-elected or if McCain got elected. I'm still waiting for the liars to leave because they didn't get their way with Bush.

Officers tell of trauma from taking life

Although every experience is different, officers who take a life often experience severe bouts of depression, alcoholism, marital problems, sleepless nights and feelings of being alone in the ...