Augusta Economy

More News | Fort Gordon | Plant Vogtle | Savannah River Site | Editor

Mom killed by boy moving car

Aiken authorities are investigating the death of a 42-year-old woman who they say was accidentally run over Thursday afternoon by a vehicle driven by her 13-year-old son.

Paula Phillips, of the 200 block of East Pine Log Road, was pronounced dead at her home at 4:15 p.m., according to a news release from Aiken County Coroner Tim Carlton. Mrs. Phillips was struck by her own sports utility vehicle as her son attempted to move it forward, being guided by his mother, according to the release. Witnesses said the teen was planning to play basketball with friends in the driveway, according to the release.

The son accidently stepped on the accelerator instead of the brake, causing the vehicle to surge forward into Mrs. Phillips, pushing her under the vehicle, according to the release.

"There is no evidence of malicious intent, rather Mrs. Phillips appears to be the victim of a tragic event," Mr. Carlton said in the release.

The teen's name wasn't provided.

Police said the accident occurred about 3:30 p.m.

Late Thursday, nobody answered the door at the home across the street from Kennedy Middle School, South Aiken High School and Millbrook Baptist Church. A portable basketball goal had been moved to the side of the single-story home's driveway.

Tony Craps, a neighbor, said he was returning home from his job at Savannah River Site when he saw several police and emergency vehicles two doors from his residence near Collier Street and East Pine Log.

"I was wondering what was going on. We just thought it was another car accident. It's a very busy intersection. The neighbors later explained what happened," he said. "I heard that the mother was trying to teach her son how to back up in the driveway."

Mr. Craps called the accident tragic. "Can you imagine having to live with this? She was just being a good sport, trying to teach her son to drive. Just like we all did."

The case is being investigated by the South Carolina Highway Patrol, Aiken County Sheriff's Office and the Aiken County Coroner's Office. It marks the 29th fatal accident in Aiken County this year.

Reach Timothy Cox at (706) 823-3217 or tim.cox@augustachronicle.com.

Nammy
Nammy 10/24/08 - 04:01 am
I'm so sorry for this family.

I'm so sorry for this family.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 10/24/08 - 04:32 am
What a heartbreaking,

What a heartbreaking, horrible thing to happen to anybody! I pray for that poor, poor boy. I hope and pray that he has some good family or friends who can help him through this. I also hope his church family comes forward. I could not imagine the absolute hell that family is going through.

RBI
RBI 10/24/08 - 06:44 am
A devastating blow to the

A devastating blow to the entire family. Especially the son, who will have to live with this tragedy for the rest of his live. May God bless them all during these dufficult times.

LadyCisback
LadyCisback 10/24/08 - 06:53 am
my condolences to the entire

my condolences to the entire family..

corgimom
corgimom 10/24/08 - 08:05 am
My prayers are that the boy

My prayers are that the boy finds peace. What a terrible accident. May God be with him and his family.

moneyman1035
moneyman1035 10/24/08 - 08:32 am
I feel for this young man,

I feel for this young man, and his family, its a real tragedy that it happend and I too pray that they canget through this tough time. God Bless this family!

politicallyNcorrect1
politicallyNcorrect1 10/24/08 - 08:37 am
This is a young man who

This is a young man who really needs our prayers. Lord what a burden to bare for anyone, and especially such a young boy.

YESWECAN
YESWECAN 10/24/08 - 09:09 am
poor baby...this is sooo

poor baby...this is sooo sad...i hope the son can get past this!!

elawhomey
elawhomey 10/24/08 - 09:20 am
My mother lives about a block

My mother lives about a block from where this incident occurred. When I passed by there I would always see this young man playing basketball in his driveway. Now this poor kid has to live with this from now on. I feel really sorry for him and his family.

jollyroger
jollyroger 10/24/08 - 09:22 am
may God be with this family.I

may God be with this family.I will pray for them.He will need some one to guide him through this and let him know that this was a tragic accident.God bless this family.

respectyourelderstoo
respectyourelderstoo 10/24/08 - 09:44 am
Such a horrible tragedy.My

Such a horrible tragedy.My prayers go out to this family.I couldn't even imagine what the son is going through.He is gonna need alot of support and probably couseling.

fmorton
fmorton 10/24/08 - 09:58 am
God what a horrible story.

God what a horrible story. I'm so sorry for the young man. May God bless him and his family, I will surely keep him in my prayers each and every day..May God be with you.

js_ee
js_ee 10/24/08 - 10:14 am
God bless this family! I

God bless this family! I can't begin to imagine how this young man feels right now. They don't release his name, but they give his address, his neighbors, and basically a map to the scene...so much for respecting their privacy, huh?!?!

Niko Mahs
Niko Mahs 10/24/08 - 10:23 am
Forgive me here. This is a

Forgive me here. This is a tragic occurrance, and while I have sympathy with the family, I must ask the question. What is a 13 year old boy doing driving an SUV, even in the driveway of a home? I raised children, 3 of them, and I would never have allowed them to get behind the wheel of a car until they had their driving permit.

This event was certainly tragic and yes very sad as well. However, the event and its consequence was also very easily preventable. What a horrible thing for this young boy to have to live with the rest of his life!

minnie mouse
minnie mouse 10/24/08 - 10:52 am
may god bless and be with

may god bless and be with this family

NEone
NEone 10/24/08 - 11:10 am
Niko: I so agree. While I am

Niko: I so agree. While I am very sorry for their grief, this accident was easily preventable. How sad for everyone involved. Parents: Don't let your untrained kids drive. There's a reason for the law. Respect and obey it. No matter how smart/coordinated/mature your precious child is, it's just not right and bad things can happen. Recovery will take a long time for this poor teen.

kk19299
kk19299 10/24/08 - 11:11 am
Niko Mahs, I feel the same

Niko Mahs,
I feel the same way. I have a child who is learning to drive and she is 15 and has her learner's license. I would never permit her to drive w/o being in the car with her. She was having issues with using two feet to drive and I have an automatic transmission so it takes some time to train young people. It is tragic and I feel for the young boy and his family but I hope other people who are tempted to let their young children drive before have any training will think TWICE now!

ProudMomma
ProudMomma 10/24/08 - 12:16 pm
God be with this young boy

God be with this young boy and his family in their time of need. It is heartbreaking to know that he will have to live with this for the rest of his life.

peppernik
peppernik 10/24/08 - 12:32 pm
Niko, NEone & canu, As a man,

Niko, NEone & canu, As a man, I say any instruction at a young age is valuable as reference for young adults... I hate this happened to the family. They are in my prayers, as is your yung-uns because I'll be on the same roads...

MISSTUTTARGA
MISSTUTTARGA 10/24/08 - 12:35 pm
this is so so sad. the family

this is so so sad. the family are in my prayers. i hope this child can get threw this. this is just so sad.

carolynmack
carolynmack 10/24/08 - 01:58 pm
My condolences goes out to

My condolences goes out to this family and this young man. May God continue to be with you and guide you through your time of need. Please keep your head towards the Heavens. God is watching over you.

mamaof3boys
mamaof3boys 10/24/08 - 04:16 pm
My heart goes out to this

My heart goes out to this young man as well as the entire family. I have a 13 year old son and I can't imagine something like this happening to him. Something so innocent turned into something terribly tragic. Please don't judge this family for allowing him to move a vehicle. He needs our prayers and support, not criticism. God bless this family!

luckie
luckie 10/24/08 - 09:44 pm
It is so great to hear all

It is so great to hear all positive comments on this tragedy. Let's all pray for this family and the child who will have to recover from this for years to come. We must remember it is a happy home-coming and it was God's will to take her at this time.

t2007
t2007 10/24/08 - 10:49 pm
First I would like to offer

First I would like to offer my prayers to the family. Next I would like to address judges on this blog. Just about everything is preventable (the lady on the cell phone that ran into the back of the truck, the boy that ran after the dog in the street and got hit, that guy that had a few beers after work hit a tree on his way home). What mistakes have you made that could have caused you or someone you love harm? Those without sins cast the first stone. This was a very terrible and unfortunate accident and I hope this boy receives extensive counseling and support. However, I started driving with my mom on a dirt road when I was 11, just like many other kids from back in the day. I thank GOD for the experience bc it gave me an appreciation for the road to become an experienced driver. However, these so call driver's ed and permit kids start driving at 16. These are the same kids that I see driving 80 in a 15 zone, same kids drinking or playing with the radio, the same kids riding people bumpers, the same kids that go in and out of traffic, and don't forget about the same kids that run the red lights. Just bc you wait until the permit doesn't mean experience. Don't fool yourself.

t2007
t2007 10/24/08 - 10:52 pm
I said all this to say: have

I said all this to say: have some tact the situation is very unforunate, just offer your condolences and keep your comment to yourself (and remember that the next time you look to change the radio or answer the phone how quick an unforunate situation can occur.

Son of God
Son of God 10/25/08 - 12:05 am
To God be the glory for all

To God be the glory for all that he has done and is still doing. Hold your head up young man, You will get through this. We ALL have done something in our lives that could have resulted in death. Death to all who believe is the beginning of ETERNAL LIFE. Know that we are here for you young man. My grandson and I drove on the country dirt roads. He was only 10 years old. Sometines, we still drive together. Remember that God saw that it was time for your mother to be with him and there is nothing that could have prevented her from going to be with the Lord but the Lord himself. Meditate on Deuteronomy 32:39 See now that I (God) am he (God) even I (God) am he(God) and there is no god with me. I (God) kill and I (God)make alive. I (God) wound and I heal: neither is there ANY that can deliver out of my(God) hand. We can point fingers and criticize all that we want. GOD IS STILL IN CONTROL!Ephesians 3:20 says, Now unto him(God) who is able to do exceeding, abundantly, above ALL that we can ask according to the POWER that worketh in us. Father in the matchless name of Jesus, we pray for this young man and his family. We ask for strength from you Lord to help them as they recover, AMEN!

Son of God
Son of God 10/25/08 - 12:21 am
T2007,May God be with you and

T2007,May God be with you and your family as you continue to comfort, edify, and exalt gOD'S PEOPLE until Jesus comes. There are some who will be like the foolish brides with no oil in their lamps. They are filling their lamps with malice, bitterness, meanness, and strife. I tell you, there will come a day when the real SONS OF GOD shall appear. To them who are led by THE SPIRIT to them gave he (GOD) POWER to become the SONS OF GOD! GOD'S STRENGTH IS MADE PERFECT IN WEAKNESS. Be strong in the Lord and in the power of his might. Continue to let your light shine in darkness, Remenber that light can only shine when it is darkness. God will make a way for you and you will be able to be a living testimony for other children who have lost their parents. ALL things (GOOD AND BAD) work together for the GOOD to those who are be called according to his (GOd) purpose. Romans 8:28. Read romans 10:9, 10, Philippians 3:13, 11Chronicles 7:14, Psalm 91, Psalm 139. Psalm 121,Matthew 5;24 Revelation 21;7, 8. Be blessed and remember that god loves you and so do we who are in Christ.

AugustaHeph homeowner
AugustaHeph homeowner 10/25/08 - 07:50 am
God Be in this Family's Life.

God Be in this Family's Life. I hope they have a very strong Faith. It will take every ounce of power in them to keep believing. We need to send cards and paryers to this family not only to the son and father, but also to her parents and siblings, they are hurting also. God I pray for them and my heart is extended to their entire family on both sides. Amen.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 10/25/08 - 12:29 pm
My condolences. I hope his

My condolences. I hope his family and friends give this child a lot of support and hugs. He's going to need them very much to get through this, same with the rest of the family.

cbeauchamp
cbeauchamp 10/27/08 - 04:45 pm
May god bless this family

May god bless this family

Search of alleged dealer's home found drugs, firearms