Rants and Raves

Comments from our readers:

WHAT'S WITH THE median on Wheeler Road? The grass is at least a foot tall. Get it cut.

RANT TO ALL who might tailgate me, honk at me or flip me off for doing 55 mph, which, by the way, is the speed limit! I've gone from using almost a full tank of gas a week to just slightly over a half tank. While you are at the pump getting your $5 gas, I will be the one waving while passing by!

IT'S PRETTY SAD when I take my child to a "children's" function, that some parents can't seem to leave their wine at home! I didn't think that alcohol was allowed at the Columbia County Amphitheater during those type of events. It's also sad knowing that they drove their child home after downing that bottle of wine.

A RANT TO ALL politicians who can't face up to doing wrong. I would like to know what strings Sen. Cheek pulled to get his in-law such a light sentence. And B. Harbin? Just admit that you made a mistake and own up to it.'

TO THE PERSON who enjoyed open house at their child's school but was disturbed about the air being shut down at 2:30, try WORKING there after 2:30!

WHERE IS THE Doctors Hospital entrance?

A MAJOR RAVE to the customer at a Central Avenue gas station who gave me $10 to help out with gasoline. He put the money in my hand and just walked away. Thank you, kind stranger.

A RANT FOR ALL of Wrightsboro Road! I don't think there's a smooth spot anywhere.

A RAVE TO THE KIND PERSON who paid for mine and my husband's dinner at Country Boys Diner on Story Mill Road recently. Thank you and God bless you!

FORGET THE STADIUM! Fix the streets!

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/28/08 - 10:21 pm
Doesn't it also say in there

Doesn't it also say in there somewhere that you must not go over the posted speed limit when passing?

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/28/08 - 10:30 pm
Passing is Permitted

Passing is Permitted When:
Lawfully overtaking and passing another vehicle going in the same direction.
An obstruction makes it necessary to drive to the left of the center line, but only
after yielding to oncoming traffic.
A roadway includes two or more marked lanes in the same direction.
A roadway with more than one lane is restricted to one-way traffic. Upon a
multi-lane, two way highway, you must never drive to the left of the center line
except when authorized to do so by traffic control signals or signs or when
making a left turn into an alley, private road or driveway.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/28/08 - 10:35 pm
And to kimberly: Aggressive

And to kimberly: Aggressive Driving: A person commits the offense of aggressive driving when he or she operates any motor vehicle with the intent to annoy, harass, molest, intimidate, injure, or obstruct another person. A conviction for aggressive driving is considered a misdemeanor of a high and aggravated nature. The penalty for committing this violation may include imprisonment, fines, and, if the driver is under 21 years of age, conviction will result in a suspension of all driving privileges.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/28/08 - 10:36 pm
Fort more info and questions

Fort more info and questions you can visit the Ga drivers manual online at: http://www.dds.ga.gov/docs/forms/FullDriversManual.pdf

stillamazed
stillamazed 09/29/08 - 07:26 am
How do the complainers about

How do the complainers about the drinkers know that these people are driving? Did you follow them to their car to see they were behind the wheel and if so and you are so concerned why didn't you call the law and report them instead of complaining on here? I wouldn't point fingers unless I was absolutely sure and if I was sure I would report them........

mommy22girls
mommy22girls 09/29/08 - 07:50 am
5:00-TO YOUR COMMENT LEFT

5:00-TO YOUR COMMENT LEFT YESTERDAY IN RANT AND RAVE ABOUT DRINKERS
- I can personally say that yes I saw a couple with children whom sat close to us at dinner down drink then get in their car to drive, they were parked next to us! And we also did report them due to the child not being buckled in and the alcohol. We were pretty much side to side with them on until our turn off and I never once saw a cop car pull up behind them nor pass them. I don't only point fingers, I do try to do something about it. In fact just the other day I reported a car with a child in no car seat and riding in the front seat of a older model SUV with three others in the front, a bug dog in the middle seat, and sound system in the back! I feel no shame to report when children are in danger!

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 10/06/08 - 12:37 pm
I find it ironic that some

I find it ironic that some female teachers complain about what children are being taught at home. Are these teachers mind-reader? They don't know what what is being taught at other children's homes. Their own children have free will and make bad choices sometimes, despite what they are teaching them, and yet, they judge that other parents aren't teaching their children the right things? Just because the children make the wrong choices, doesn't mean the parents weren't teaching them properly. Just like your own kids. Teachers, like preachers, sometimes have juvenile delingquents for kids, just like anyone else.

workingmom
workingmom 10/06/08 - 09:40 pm
I think it's what is not

I think it's what is not being taught at home or not reinforced at home that is the problem instead of what IS being taught. Sure, every child will make poor choices...it's human nature. But, somewhere along the line, they must be taught that when you make a poor choice, there is usually a negative consequence that follows. I don't see that happening as often as I used to. There are wonderful parents out there who will work with teachers to try and correct poor behavior at school. Then there are those who refuse to believe their child is anything from perfect and somehow, it is up to the teacher to prove their child did anything wrong. When I was in school, the teacher was right....100% of the time. I didn't dare misbehave.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 10/08/08 - 02:15 pm
Of course you don't see it.

Of course you don't see it. You're not there. There is no way to know what the parents are teaching or not teaching their kids. Children are not naive. They know teachers are not right 100% of the time, but they should respect authority anyway. But I worry, when I meet an award-winning teacher with two obese daughters that turns a blind eye when they are grazing the goodies right in front of her, but when her youngest, who is close to looking anorexic, tentatively puts her hand out or makes a plate to eat, gets chastised loudly and angrily for her choices. This has been witnessed at church picnics, family reunions, etc. She has been slapped in the mouth in at least two public places (once in the church building) by this teacher/mom. The consequences are that the nearly anorexic child was a nervous wreck at any event where there is food and the oldest ones have their own issues about why is mom stopping her from eating yet ignoring their eating habits? They are of course also having issues with authority figures because their trust has been betrayed and they haven't seen their mother having negative consequences for her inappropriate, abusive behavior.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 10/08/08 - 02:19 pm
What I'm trying to say is we

What I'm trying to say is we can't really generalize. What we see from the outside looking in, can be deceptive. We really can't know the whole story that way. That teacher has received all kinds of accolades, but what she herself is teaching at home seems lacking. There is no excuse for smacking a child in the mouth and humiliating her in that and other ways in public. Especially as a teacher, she should know better. That child has acted out in school at times. I'm not the least surprised. It was a cry for help.

workingmom
workingmom 10/08/08 - 04:17 pm
What in the world has any of

What in the world has any of this got to do with the fact that there are children in classrooms with parents who do not want the child to be held accountable for his/her actions? The comment I originally responded to was written by fastchecker and we were discussing people taking personal responsibility for their own actions. You sure do have a way of changing the topic to whatever suits you at the time. My statement about how children behave comes from direct observation in a classroom setting. I didn't just decide to embellish facts and assume things which are not true. I did not make a generalization to say ALL children and parents do not accept responsibility...just some.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 10/14/08 - 03:19 pm
You did make a

You did make a generalization: That teachers were once viewed as 100 percent right all of the time. No child is stupid enough to believe that anymore, nor should they. You seem to wax nostalgic for blind authority. Sorry, it's a thing of the past. I was giving an example about my own direct observation of a teacher as a mom outside of her classroom. If she would abuse her own children, why should I expect her students to blindly follow her authority 100%? This teacher is an elementary school teacher in a nearby county. One of her past students who begged to be removed from her class was still blanching at the sound of her name when in high school. No, it's a good thing that students don't accept that teachers are 100% right. There are great teachers, mediocre ones and bad ones that shouldn't be teaching at all. I agree with you about there needs to be improvement in communication between teachers, parents and students. There is always room for improvement. I don't put the onus on any one of these three. I believe we can agree that team work is essential and we should do away with blanket generalizations. I'm on your side, I just don't like generalizations.

workingmom
workingmom 10/14/08 - 08:53 pm
Again, the topic was personal

Again, the topic was personal responsibility for one's actions. Unless you are currently in a school system as an educator, you may not understand that "some" children have problems with behavior due to many factors. Some of those behaviors can be controlled by using positive and/or negative reinforcement. Some cannot because of special conditions. I believe in allowing a child to take responsibility for his/her actions when rules are broken. For every decision made, there is a consequence. Some are positive, some are negative. Are all teachers 100% right all of the time? Of course not. No one is. But, I do believe students should respect authority and parents should be able to admit when a child makes a mistake.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 10/15/08 - 12:47 am
I believe students should

I believe students should respect authority and parents AND teachers should be able to admit when they or their child makes mistakes. I too, believe in personal responsibility for one's actions: the student's personal responsibility as you said, if that student breaks the rules. However, if teachers keep pointing their fingers at the parents, and parents keep pointing at the teachers, then the student is not being held accountable. My children were taught to respect authority by me. Fortunately they did. If they hadn't, that would have been their personal responsibility and I made sure they knew that before problems had a chance to come up. That is how I ended up with honor students making over 2000 on the SAT in the best public high school in the state. I did not have to remain a professional educator to understand that "some" children have problems with behavior due to many factors and some teachers mistakenly blame the parents out of frustration. Teachers hopefully will also admit when they have made a mistake. Those that don't, don't make it at our school.

workingmom
workingmom 10/15/08 - 07:35 am
Well, at least we have agreed

Well, at least we have agreed on on thing: personal responsibility for one's actions. I think the main focus should be on the child when it comes to education. Teachers and parents need to support each other. Fortunately, my children also had good teachers and I am thankful for that. They did not score over 2000 on the SAT but did go to college and are doing well. I can't take credit for their performance on the SAT or in school because that is their responsibility. I just want them to grow up, graduate from college, be able to support themselves but most of all, be happy as an adult. If they do that, I will feel successful about being a parent.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 10/15/08 - 09:44 am
Good morning workingmom.

Good morning workingmom. Well said, I agree, and I want exactly the same thing you do for my children as well. I suspect that even if you don't take credit for your childrens' success in school, that you had a lot to do with it just by being your personal best. Well done.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 10/16/08 - 09:22 am
I suspect we will find out we

I suspect we will find out we agree on much more than one thing, we just haven't gotten around to it yet. Smile.