Rants and Raves

Comments from our readers:

WHAT'S WITH THE median on Wheeler Road? The grass is at least a foot tall. Get it cut.

RANT TO ALL who might tailgate me, honk at me or flip me off for doing 55 mph, which, by the way, is the speed limit! I've gone from using almost a full tank of gas a week to just slightly over a half tank. While you are at the pump getting your $5 gas, I will be the one waving while passing by!

IT'S PRETTY SAD when I take my child to a "children's" function, that some parents can't seem to leave their wine at home! I didn't think that alcohol was allowed at the Columbia County Amphitheater during those type of events. It's also sad knowing that they drove their child home after downing that bottle of wine.

A RANT TO ALL politicians who can't face up to doing wrong. I would like to know what strings Sen. Cheek pulled to get his in-law such a light sentence. And B. Harbin? Just admit that you made a mistake and own up to it.'

TO THE PERSON who enjoyed open house at their child's school but was disturbed about the air being shut down at 2:30, try WORKING there after 2:30!

WHERE IS THE Doctors Hospital entrance?

A MAJOR RAVE to the customer at a Central Avenue gas station who gave me $10 to help out with gasoline. He put the money in my hand and just walked away. Thank you, kind stranger.

A RANT FOR ALL of Wrightsboro Road! I don't think there's a smooth spot anywhere.

A RAVE TO THE KIND PERSON who paid for mine and my husband's dinner at Country Boys Diner on Story Mill Road recently. Thank you and God bless you!

FORGET THE STADIUM! Fix the streets!

Rose
Rose 09/28/08 - 12:24 pm
the viseo shows him. He is

the viseo shows him. He is white.

Rose
Rose 09/28/08 - 12:25 pm
Why would his color make a

Why would his color make a difference?

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 09/28/08 - 12:49 pm
mommy22girls. Why do you

mommy22girls. Why do you find Rose's comment ridiculous? Stuff like this happens all the time that doesn't make the papers. We had a major cocaine trafficker busted in February with significant connections here in Augusta. Not a peep in any media except on a certain local radio talk show. One of his fellow traffickers in the same neighborhood was also busted, but he's back on the street, probably snitched on the first one. The paper only has room to offer a sampling of the incidents that happen. Stabbings are apparently not that newsworthy around here, unless a death was involved or a public figure. I don't know if this particular stabbing actually occurred, but it wouldn't be unusual for it not to make the paper if it did. Sometimes there just isn't room for the stories with less notoriety.

corgimom
corgimom 09/28/08 - 12:52 pm
Concernedaunt, if the kid was

Concernedaunt, if the kid was on a IEP for behavior, then nothing will happen to him- because there are "reasons" for his bad behavior- it's asinine. And the ones that are on IEP's for behavior take full advantage of it, believe me. They know they are untouchable.

factchecker
factchecker 09/28/08 - 01:00 pm
We don't have accountability

We don't have accountability anymore. No personal responsibility. Go to court sometime and listen to the people being sentenced. Either they are bi-polar or some other condition and were not on their medication (because they quit taking it or just diagnosed) or they were sexually abused as a child or they grew up in an environment with only one parent or some other excuse or all the above. It's rediculous

workingmom
workingmom 09/28/08 - 01:09 pm
fastchecker, you are so

fastchecker, you are so right. Whatever happened to taking responsibility for one's own actions? Rarely do you hear of anyone who came from a home with Ward and June Cleaver as parents. Students are being taught at home that they can do pretty much whatever they please and have no consequences that will make them think twice about doing it again. Then when they make a poor choice, someone is there to make an excuse for them and defend their actions. Did this all start with the lady who sued over spilling her hot coffee at a fast food restaurant? I still find that ridiculous!

factchecker
factchecker 09/28/08 - 01:17 pm
We were talking yesterday

We were talking yesterday about prayer and school. When I was a kid growing up we had prayer in school and I was not one that participated because I wasn't brought up in a religious family. It didn't bother me they prayed. My teacher tried to cover everyone's beliefs and taught us about them. It taught us tolerance of other's beliefs. We no longer have tolerance. I'm not saying that all our problems started with taking prayer out of school. What I am saying is that we have taken away teaching tolerance. There can be no REAL diversity in public school because it might offend someone. Political correctness equals intolerance. And everyone wonders why so many kids grow up hating. Because they don't learn to be tolerant of others.

KSL
KSL 09/28/08 - 01:19 pm
I think it started way before

I think it started way before that.

KSL
KSL 09/28/08 - 01:28 pm
I think you are right

I think you are right factchecker. The actions of so many groups who claim to be fighting to keep the rights of the minority from being trespassed on usually wind up stomping on the rights of others to do what they want. Halloween is fast approaching. Remember last year the big ruckus in LaGrange, GA, over the folks who hung up a dummy in a noose? I've been hanging out a fake skeleton in a noose for 30 or more years. Last year Halloween decorations which involve nooses suddenly became taboo. Lack of tolerance and the audacity for one person to assume that he knows the intent another has in doing something---those are just a couple of the things that are wrong with our society.

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 09/28/08 - 01:38 pm
The Deputy was not Black. The

The Deputy was not Black. The Sheriff took quick and decisive action. What more could you ask for?

i.b.e.w..electric
i.b.e.w..electric 09/28/08 - 01:46 pm
well its the braves last game

well its the braves last game of the year,i hope i dont have dt s again.what till next year ,lol

SMHwhatamessthisis
SMHwhatamessthisis 09/28/08 - 02:22 pm
it's ok for the police

it's ok for the police officer to beat on ppl but its not ok for them to use certain remarks.thats crazy.

GET RID OF OFFICERS WHO BEAT UP ON PPL AND MISUSING THERE POWERS.
FEW NASTY REMARKS WANT HURT ANYONE.

Rose
Rose 09/28/08 - 02:26 pm
We don't yet know what that

We don't yet know what that officer said.It is not ok for officers to have nasty mouths.How do you know it was not said to a child or a woman?

XY
XY 09/28/08 - 02:27 pm
Perhaps not allowing the

Perhaps not allowing the Deputy to resign so that he can go to another Police Department and continue the same behaivior. And if his comments were in fact racist, what about all the minorities he has delt with over the past seven years.

jack
jack 09/28/08 - 02:50 pm
slique, I realize you are

slique, I realize you are pretty slow, but 55 mph is the speed LIMIT in the "passing" lane (I assume you mean the left lane) AND right lane. Like I said before, show me a sign that says "passing lane".

jack
jack 09/28/08 - 02:54 pm
Wonder how many family

Wonder how many family vehicles the clowns fill up?

jack
jack 09/28/08 - 02:57 pm
SMH, if you commit the

SMH, if you commit the offense in SC, they can (and do) follow you over the bridge and give you the ticket. Right, we don't want you tying up traffic around our gas stations.

jack
jack 09/28/08 - 02:59 pm
SMH, if those "ppl" would

SMH, if those "ppl" would behave themselves and do what the officers tell them to do, then they wouldn't get "beat up on".

iabeewalkingtamemphis
iabeewalkingtamemphis 09/28/08 - 03:03 pm
Who said the dep was black?

Who said the dep was black?

Waymore
Waymore 09/28/08 - 03:06 pm
SMH, Bush didn't give out

SMH, Bush didn't give out anything that Congress didn't approve of. Some ppl (sic) are so hate filled that they can't see the forest for the trees. Apparently you were sleeping through your U.S. History class as well as your English, Spelling, and Grammar classes.

God save America
God save America 09/28/08 - 03:50 pm
to ga.sunshine08. what law

to ga.sunshine08. what law says that if you are doing the speed limit you have to pull over for speeders . if you are under the speed limit then you should pull over.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 09/28/08 - 04:04 pm
jack and concerned adult,

jack and concerned adult, it's called manners and you should buy some sometime because it's apparent you don't have any!

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 09/28/08 - 05:25 pm
Why do drivers feel it is

Why do drivers feel it is necessary to drive in the left lane next to a driver in right lane? What if there are emergency vehicles trying to get to your family member or a private vehicle trying to rush a family member to the hospital and are unable because you are blocking traffic? What is wrong with showing curtesy and passing a car and getting back in the right lane? What is wrong with using common sense?

kiddspur
kiddspur 09/28/08 - 06:47 pm
QUACK - QUACK - QUACK - QUACK

QUACK - QUACK - QUACK - QUACK --Look it is a duck crossing! -- Somebody must of shot the other birds not a mess on here today ------ Gee!!

kimberlyde
kimberlyde 09/28/08 - 08:59 pm
My tool for the drivers who

My tool for the drivers who ride next to me for no reason is a Chevy Suburban gas hogging SUV. I just ride the center line a little more every few seconds. After about ten senconds of that they either speed up or slow down

georgiaboy30909
georgiaboy30909 09/28/08 - 09:44 pm
At least I got my question

At least I got my question answered as to why democrats vote the way they do. WHY I AM VOTING DEMOCRAT

I'm voting Democrat because I believe the government will do a better job of spending the money I earn than I would.

I'm voting Democrat because freedom of speech is fine as long as nobody is offended by it.

I'm voting Democrat because when we pull out of Iraq I trust that the bad guys will stop what they're doing because they now think we're good people.

I'm voting Democrat because I believe that people who can't tell us if it will rain on Friday CAN tell us that the polar ice caps will melt away in ten years if I don't start driving a Prius.

I'm voting Democrat because I'm not concerned about the slaughter of millions of babies so long as we keep all death row inmates alive.

I'm voting Democrat because I believe that business should not be allowed to make profits for themselves. They need to break even and give the rest away to the government for redistribution as THEY see fit.

georgiaboy30909
georgiaboy30909 09/28/08 - 09:45 pm
I'm voting Democrat because I

I'm voting Democrat because I believe liberal judges need to rewrite the Constitution every few days to suit some fringe kooks who would NEVER get their agendas past the voters.

I'm voting Democrat because I believe that open borders and government give-aways to foreigners is a great way to grow a nation.

I'm voting Democrat because I'm way too irresponsible to own a gun, and I know that my local police are all I need to protect me from murderers and thieves.

I'm voting Democrat because I love the fact that I can now marry whatever I want.
I've decided to marry my horse.

I'm voting Democrat because I believe oil companies' profits of 4% on a gallon of gas are obscene but the government taxing the same gallon of gas at 15% isn't.

I'm voting Democrat because my head is so firmly planted up my azz it's unlikely that I'll ever have another point of view.

georgiaboy30909
georgiaboy30909 09/28/08 - 09:53 pm
jack here you go incase page

jack here you go incase page 41 of your drivers manual. How To Pass On A Two-Lane Road
Wait for a passing zone to begin. A passing zone is indicated by striped lines
to the right of the center line of the roadway. If the line nearest to your vehicle
is solid, you are not in a passing zone. Look ahead along the roadway to
determine the length of the passing zone and if there is traffic approaching
from the opposite direction. You must have sufficient time and space to
execute your passing maneuver and return your vehicle completely to the right
lane before the passing zone ends, before entering an intersection, and before
oncoming traffic is within 200 feet of your vehicle.
Before leaving your lane to begin passing, check your rear view and side
mirrors, and turn your head and look back to check your “blind spot.” Be
certain that no one is passing you.
Activate your left turn signal as you begin passing.
Pass on the left and do not return to the right lane until your vehicle is safely
clear of the overtaken vehicle. Wait until you can see the car you have just
passed in your rear view mirror.
Activate your right turn signal before returning to the right lane.

georgiaboy30909
georgiaboy30909 09/28/08 - 09:55 pm
gasunshine that law says move

gasunshine that law says move over if it is an emergency approaching not some [filtered word] speeding.