Rants and raves

Comments from our readers.

THE ENGINEERS WORKING Bobby Jones Expressway don't have any signs posted showing you which exit to take to Atlanta, Columbia or anything.

WHY SHOULD WE put out money for a baseball stadium when we have so many other things that we can take care of?

A RANT TO THE homeowners in Montclair subdivision who can't obey the leash law.

SONNY JUST PLACED a tax on seniors by taking away the property tax exemption for some.

RAVE: THE VA MEDICAL CENTER has been great to me, especially Mr. Joe in Blind Rehab. He taught me to help myself.

COURTESY OF THE U.S. Army, my family and I have lived in the Augusta area for almost two years. The Southern hospitality is NOT quite what I expected.

RAVE FOR MAYOR DEKE and anyone else that understands what a new stadium would do for the economy and growth of Augusta. The backward folks that do not understand growth need to get out and visit our sister cities such as Charleston and Greenville.

I REALLY APPRECIATE the opportunity to enjoy the work of photographer Michael Holahan in the pages of The Augusta Chronicle . His ability to capture heart and soul is without equal.

A RAVE FOR Doug at the Augusta Fire Department. My husband fell and Doug was right there. He was very helpful and he stayed right there with us to make sure my husband was OK.

MAYOR COPENHAVER is saying that he has support for the downtown stadium and the people he lists are the CVB, the Chamber of Commerce, the Sports Council and Augusta Tomorrow. All of these people are either totally or directly dependent on the city of Augusta for their funding.

WE NEED BETTER choices for Democratic and Republican president.

TroubIe
TroubIe 09/26/08 - 03:51 am
ok folks, its easy,

ok folks, its easy, west-atlanta, east coulmbia........duh

TroubIe
TroubIe 09/26/08 - 03:55 am
to the last

to the last rave........AMEN!!!!!!!!!

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 09/26/08 - 04:37 am
To the first Ranter about

To the first Ranter about exits on Bobby Jones, it is simple, the first ramp is for Columbia, second is for Atlanta. So if you are new around here, this should help. To the person who just came here almost 2 years ago via courtesy of Army, I know what you mean, but if you look past that first impression, you can actually meet good folks here. You will see that when things in the economy are sour, and they actually get a lot nicer when you do something for them that they least expect. Most people are much more friendly when they get help (like from the side of the road, when they break down and don't get help for hours cause nobody stops anymore).

Reality
Reality 09/26/08 - 04:40 am
Well, look at it this way,

Well, look at it this way, you have 1 year left and you are on your way. You generally get what you put in to it......

angelic one
angelic one 09/26/08 - 04:47 am
To the raver that stated

To the raver that stated this: "COURTESY OF THE U.S. Army, my family and I have lived in the Augusta area for almost two years. The Southern hospitality is NOT quite what I expected" .... I am as well an Army spouse and I must say ... I enjoy it here! It's called LEARNING TO ADAPT ! You take each assigment with a grain of salt and make the best of it. If you think you find folks here "rude" .... well pardon me for saying this... but isn't that EVERYWHERE now-a-days? You can't just blame that on them not having "southern hospitality". I find the Augustians to be very nice and well.... to be honest.... when mine gets out.... I'm gonna become one myself! They teach the military to adapt to the weather while in the field..... they should teach the spouses to adapt to the enviroment while they are at station ! Sorry if that sounds harsh... don't mean for it to be.... just don't like for rants to make all military spouses out to bash the population of the area ... kind of makes us all look bad !! If that "southern hospitality" advice doesn't work ... then have your active duty military folk CALL BRANCH AND MOVE ON ! :)

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 09/26/08 - 05:16 am
DeborahElliott2: Unless you

DeborahElliott2: Unless you are coming from the Martinez direction when the exits are reversed º¿º

DoubleD
DoubleD 09/26/08 - 05:18 am
...Army Spouses...at least

...Army Spouses...at least mine knows to keep her mouth shut when it comes to military issues. Why do most of them always preach like they are the ones on active duty, and they think they wear the same rank as their spouse? The ranter wasn't compaining. I've been around this area off and on for years. There was nothing in the rant about failing to adapt, etc. She was debunking the myth of "Southern Hospitality." Then you go on this rant about your ability to adapt to any environment and about "Calling Branch" LOL. I hope you feel better today after showing us your unmatched ability to adapt and overcome to your environment. You've annoyed me in a matter of seconds. I'm glad I'm not the one married to you, Super Trooper.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 09/26/08 - 05:55 am
DD you are so cute when

DD you are so cute when you're angry....

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 09/26/08 - 06:00 am
DoubleD: Has your 'new' bride

DoubleD: Has your 'new' bride arrived from the Philippines yet?

DoubleD
DoubleD 09/26/08 - 06:06 am
She'll be here before

She'll be here before Halloween. Her interview is on 14 OCT. I'll let everyone know as soon as possible. Also, this just in; although last year fiance visas were taking about 8-10 months, now they are back down to 4 or less.

southern2
southern2 09/26/08 - 06:18 am
You are right, southern

You are right, southern hospitality is "Gone with the Wind." Things changed quickly the last few years. Anything southern was attacked and deemed politically incorrect while all other cultures were accepted and flourished. It is not unusual for a convenient store clerk to handle your purchase non-verbally or to sit at a red light while your car shakes to the beat of the music blaring from the car beside you. Oh, I wish I was in DIXIE.

ladysingstheblues
ladysingstheblues 09/26/08 - 06:20 am
A lil' overkill there. 6:18.

A lil' overkill there. 6:18. Every one have a good Friday.

ladysingstheblues
ladysingstheblues 09/26/08 - 06:25 am
She's under my

She's under my thumb.........., ........how she speaks when she's spoken to......cutest pet in the world.......

NEone
NEone 09/26/08 - 06:25 am
I was told to treat moving to

I was told to treat moving to Augusta like moving to another country. It worked. I never expected things to be so different, but by golly, they were. Southern hospitality so often seemed to apply only to one another, not us "foreigners".

radiatingtatas
radiatingtatas 09/26/08 - 06:27 am
WOW Double D--words from my

WOW Double D--words from my mouth and then people wonder why some towns can't stand the military. I was just on here the other day writing about things to do and WE are making the best of it. I am a military spouse and active duty and as far as calling branch--the poster cannot be that well educated because you just don't call branch. HELLOOOOO if they just paid all that money to get them here they are not going to let them leave my hubby reenlisted for Ft. Gordon and we only have a year stabalization I am sure that we will be here for more than a year. My advice to you poster about the Southern Hospitality, my husband and I have been to plenty of stations in our military careers Ft. Hood, Ft. Leonardwood, Ft. Sill, Ft. Lee, and now Ft. Gordon and of course I left out the worse one Ft. Riley UGH!!! Out of all of them this has to be the best post yet--they truly do support their military. Rude people are everywhere just smile and kill them with kindness lol that is what I do but I haven't run into that many rude people. Do not listen to the army spouse on her long rant-- she does give military spouses a bad name. Keep your chin up and go out and make the best of it.

jack234
jack234 09/26/08 - 06:34 am
As an independent, looks like

As an independent, looks like Bush failed to tell the ceo's about trickle down economics. WOW. Have a blessed day.

ladysingstheblues
ladysingstheblues 09/26/08 - 06:35 am
There is good, bad, ugly,

There is good, bad, ugly, rude, unfriendly, friendly everywhere....city's and towns don't discriminate.

christian134
christian134 09/26/08 - 06:39 am
Good Friday morning

Good Friday morning all...Ya'll have a safe and great day...Say thanks today to all our firemen and women, policemen and women and all our military...They deserve all our thanks and more...:-)

radiatingtatas
radiatingtatas 09/26/08 - 06:41 am
christian134 what a nice

christian134 what a nice thing to say so early in the AM makes me wonder if today is going to be a good day

christian134
christian134 09/26/08 - 06:49 am
Hope so medicwife hope

Hope so medicwife hope so...:-)

gnumbgnuts
gnumbgnuts 09/26/08 - 06:50 am
American women won't take my

American women won't take my BS......I'll just import one that will!

DoubleD
DoubleD 09/26/08 - 06:51 am
I will must apologize to the

I will must apologize to the other Army spouses. It is clearly evident that there are many who are involved yet humble. I just really cannot stand the ones that speak out like that. Those are the same ones that treat the junior Soldiers spouses like they are lower ranking when there is no rank among spouses. I think they are the ones that continually have to justify their miserable life. For those of you making the best of it, I'd be more than willin to lend a helping hand at any time. Deployments, FTXs, PCSs, etc. are difficult for the entire family. In 5 hours I'm off to U.S. 129. www.tailofthedragon.com www.killboy.com

radiatingtatas
radiatingtatas 09/26/08 - 06:59 am
DoubleD you have noone to

DoubleD you have noone to apologize to you hit the mark--the poster was way off she went off on the other for no reason. I was cheering when you posted. You are absolutely right I bet that she wears her husbands rank with flowers around it lol she reminds me my first FRG when all the SGT's wifes were sitting in a corner laughing and pointing at all the lower enlisted and acting like they were kings*** and then people wonder why the lower ranking spouses move away from the military post like they do. And trust me it still happens the exact way with the higher ranking wives.

PTHS2
PTHS2 09/26/08 - 07:00 am
DD - Ride safe, Brother. Pack

DD - Ride safe, Brother. Pack the rain gear.....

keraknightwalker
keraknightwalker 09/26/08 - 07:04 am
As a independant female voter

As a independant female voter I'm voting McCain/Palin "08"...Have a blessed Day!..I am! :)

NEone
NEone 09/26/08 - 07:11 am
Please don't stereotype

Please don't stereotype military wives as you have. There are good ones and not so good ones, and some are just plain ol' nasty. Some will wear their husband's rank, but there are many very nice officer wives out there. This is kinda like the Southerners discussion. There are good and bad, whether in Georgia, California, Montana or Maine. That's the nature of people.

gibzgirl
gibzgirl 09/26/08 - 07:12 am
The army rant doesn't specify

The army rant doesn't specify whether it is the soldier or the spouse.... How do you know for sure it wasn't the soldier who isn't happy with the lack of southern hospitality?

NEone
NEone 09/26/08 - 07:15 am
gibsgirl: Because most

gibsgirl: Because most soldiers don't have time to worry about it. It's the spouse who has to adapt much more to the local culture, wherever they are.

gibzgirl
gibzgirl 09/26/08 - 07:23 am
Makes sense I suppose.. :)

Makes sense I suppose.. :)

radiatingtatas
radiatingtatas 09/26/08 - 07:29 am
I wasn't stereotyping I was

I wasn't stereotyping I was going off of the ignorant post and you said the magic word "officer wives" I said SGTs not Officers!!!! I am speaking from first hand experience I have seen it and many times. The Officers and the higher ranking NCO have it a little easier (wives) that is you have a lot of young military wives out there and they are treated that way every day.

Christmas Eve rains to dry up

If Wednesday seemed particularly wet and dreary, you would be right. The day broke the record for the wettest Christmas Eve that Augusta has ever had.