Rants and raves

Comments from our readers.

WASHINGTON ROAD PAVING? Huh! MLK Boulevard could use repaving, too, but then April visitors most likely won't be traveling that road. We just pay the taxes.

A RAVE FOR Mr. Wehunt, the lower school principal at Augusta Prep. I don't know if the afternoon pickup routine was his idea ... but it's fantastic!

BIG RANT FOR Bush. He just gave $1 billion of our hard-earned tax money to the wrong Georgia.

SARAH PALIN IS a successful woman, so why aren't the feminists rallying behind her? Because she loves and enjoys her children. To the feminists, children are a burden to be avoided. Poor feminists, women are no longer listening to their mindless drivel.

I AM NORMALLY not a college football fan, but I get sick at the fact that people in Georgia think the Bulldogs are some kind of gods and that Mark Richt is some kind of god.

A RANT TO REPUBLICANS, particularly those at the convention. While the Democrats were classy and did not talk down to the Republican Party, the Republicans have done nothing but be rude and disgraceful to them.

I AGREE WITH the senior from Evans High about the problem of honors parking -- and I'm a parent! My son earned his pass to park there and many selfish parents are ruining it for these hardworking kids.

BUSH JUST SENT "an extra" $1 billion to Georgia. That's a billion more of our money that doesn't yet exist, but Bush just pours it out like it's water from Gustav. Obama, with his communist tendencies (They're worse than tendencies) would likely do worse by actually helping the Russians arm, but that doesn't make Bush right.

HOW CAN OBAMA, a lifetime member of the Chicago political machine, ever even pretend to be for ethics reform?

BOTH GEORGIA SENATORS, Chambliss and Isakson, have come out foursquare against import tariffs. Import tariffs are what our Founding Fathers used to finance the original U.S. government. Thus, our present senators are fighting directly against our Founding Fathers. Which group do you trust?

White_Trash1
White_Trash1 09/19/08 - 01:59 pm
jack, I agree with the free

jack, I agree with the free college, serve 2 years in the armed forces, get 2 years books and tuition, 4 years, 4 years books and tuition to any state school you choose

jack234
jack234 09/19/08 - 02:04 pm
roadkill, speaking as an

roadkill, speaking as an independent, sometimes I make sense. LOL

angiesdad
angiesdad 09/19/08 - 02:08 pm
i'll try to break this down

i'll try to break this down once more marandan.when was the last time our shores were invaded?look at every war.here we are OVER THERE in everyone elses backyard.germany did not attack us either time,and japan attacked because we cut their oil supply off.why are we still holding s koreas hand?why were we in vietnam?all of these wars were thousands of miles away, so who was going to harm us here?war is nothing but wealthy people getting wealthier selling supplies to the military,while their kids hang out in the french riviera,and the keys while the true americans die.answer this sawdust, no one in 5 years has been able to tell us where the profits from those 1.5 to 2 million barrels of iraqi oil (daily) are going to that they have been pumping for years.they still don't have a oil contract,but every big oil co. in america is there.tell me how the iraqi citizens are being paid when they still only have what 12 hrs of electricity a day?marandan you forgot to mention kathleen harris and how her office purged thousands of blacks from voting in fla saying their names matched "some" that could be felons,also tell us about the supreme court stopping the recounts,let put scalia under a poly

jack234
jack234 09/19/08 - 02:10 pm
As an independent, the more I

As an independent, the more I think about it, Georgia might just be progressive enough to go with this Obama fellow. Now, have a blessed day.

PTHS2
PTHS2 09/19/08 - 02:15 pm
Jack - Since you profess to

Jack - Since you profess to be a spineless independent who can't make your mind up. When you kiss my patootie - not on the left cheek - not on the right cheek - I want you to go for the middle. "A right to vote" yeah right. You have a right to representation - we had a little squabble over that in the mid 1800's.

White_Trash1
White_Trash1 09/19/08 - 02:15 pm
jack, I must have been asleep

jack, I must have been asleep and dreaming during Civics 101, but seems that I remember the congress made the laws(rule) and the president simply signed the bill into law or vetoed. I must have missed something.

White_Trash1
White_Trash1 09/19/08 - 02:18 pm
angiesdad 9/11/01

angiesdad 9/11/01

jack
jack 09/19/08 - 02:18 pm
dontwanta, tell it like it

dontwanta, tell it like it REALLY is. The DIMs don't whine abouut the FACT that it was Barny Frank, the guy (?) in Congress that led the libs in pressuring the lending institutions to give out those high risk sub-prime mortgages. It is also Barny Frank's committee that is supposed to be over seeing these institutions as is DIM Senator Dodd's committee, who got "preferentital treatment" from these same institutions. Neither do they whine about the FACT that Dodd received the most political contributions from Freddie and Fannie and by NObama the second highest. This is not to also mention that it was BJ Cliton in 1999 who signed the repeal of the Glass-Steagall law that regulated these institutions since the 1930s in preventing just such shady transactions that have caused their collapse. NO, it's all Bush's fault.

jack
jack 09/19/08 - 02:20 pm
According to NoBiden, those

According to NoBiden, those on the bottom who pay no taxes are not patriots. How novel an idea.

jack
jack 09/19/08 - 02:27 pm
Hypo, how many rapists,

Hypo, how many rapists, drunks and robbers have been arrested in the Hill area? How many on MLK? Seems it ain't the Hill making the news every day.

crazyoldman
crazyoldman 09/19/08 - 02:32 pm
Richmond County

Richmond County Superintendent Dana Bedden will recommend transferring Josey High School Assistant Principal Gregory Thompson to take over as principal of Butler High School effective Oct. 1

jack
jack 09/19/08 - 02:35 pm
jack234, show us exactly

jack234, show us exactly where in the Constitution it says we have a "right" to vote. That's kind'a like the nonexistant "right" to privacy that ain't there either or "separation of church and state".

sawgrass
sawgrass 09/19/08 - 02:37 pm
angiesdumdum - Read

angiesdumdum - Read roadkill's post. Our shores were invaded on September 11, 2001. I'm not sure if you are aware of this but most of our oil comes from CANADA. As we speak (or post), a new pipe line is being built (by Bechtel) bringing more oil from Canada into the lower 48.

jack
jack 09/19/08 - 02:38 pm
Jack234, I love the way you

Jack234, I love the way you show your absolute ignorance so typical of the average DIMocRAT. Majority only rules in a Democracy and we live in a Republic. Geez, which grade of school did you drop out in or did you sleep through civics classes?

jack
jack 09/19/08 - 02:47 pm
Younce, still stupid I see.

Younce, still stupid I see. Ignorance can be fixed, but stupidity can't. I guess the sons of NoBiden and Palin are on the Riviera. Last I heard, NoBiden's son is in Iraq and Palin's just got deployed there. I understand McCain's son is also in Iraq. Yeah, our wars after the Spanish-American war, have been fought elsewhere rather than on our streets. I suppose you had rather fight them here. Makes no difference why or where we fight them so long as it isn't here and we win. That was true in the past and is still true othr than to some dumbazzes like you..

jack234
jack234 09/19/08 - 02:48 pm
The right of citizens of the

The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not
be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.
— Fifteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution (1870)

FYI: The amendments are part of the constitution.
I rest my case.

jack234
jack234 09/19/08 - 03:01 pm
As an independent we try to

As an independent we try to get our facts right - and we don't get mad when we are wrong and start name-calling and try to insult those who are immune to insults. Now as a stronger than ever independent, have a blessed day as I will.

goBAMA_09_ROLLTIDE
goBAMA_09_ROLLTIDE 09/19/08 - 03:04 pm
Mr. Independent, why don't

Mr. Independent, why don't you get your facts straight. The 15th ammendment was written in the reconstruction era to allow the black man the ability to vote. I has nothing to do with a guarantee of every citizen to vote. It was to stop discrimination and to allow former slaves to vote.

inkpup
inkpup 09/19/08 - 03:14 pm
Literacy test, a polltax, and

Literacy test, a polltax, and proof of property ownership should ALL be requisites to vote.

NoSocialism
NoSocialism 09/19/08 - 03:16 pm
If it is unpatriotic not to

If it is unpatriotic not to pay taxes, then Charlie Rangel is a domestic terrorist.

jack234
jack234 09/19/08 - 03:24 pm
I perfectly understand the

I perfectly understand the reason it was added. The contention was the right to vote wasn't in the constitution. Regardless of the reason for the 14th. amendment - it gave citizens the right to vote - not just Blacks but everyone. The only group it did't include were women who were included in the 19th. amendment in 1919. The contention was that the right to vote was not in the constitution and it is, as amendments, which are part of the constitution. The right to vote is in the constitution. The voting rights Act of 1965 only gave the gov't authority to intervene to protect those rights. As late as 1965, some people didn't feel it necessary to enforce the constitution, thus federal intervention. As far as a knowledge of "Reconstruction" - I have a copy of Eric Foner's book, Reconstruction: America's Unfinished Revolution 1863-1877 in front of me now. May I suggest you read it for your enlightment and edification. I use to included it as reauired reading in my Syllabus. Now, Have a blessed day, especially GObama08. We live and learn. Never be afraid of knowledge. And remember, "a fool can ask a question a wise man can't answer"

unnamed
unnamed 09/19/08 - 03:24 pm
The traffic flow/Honors

The traffic flow/Honors parking problem at EHS could be improved if there were administrators/teachers out there mornings and afternoons to help direct. The morning and afternoon traffic is a nightmare at Evans.

NoSocialism
NoSocialism 09/19/08 - 03:27 pm
Obama added another entry to

Obama added another entry to his resume while in Iraq: Logan Act Violator. I wonder if he'll be prosecuted or even it it will be mentioned in the news. How did he do it? By trying to persuade Iraqi leaders to delay the withdrawal of US troops until after Bush had left office.

Where is Code Pink on this matter?

dani
dani 09/19/08 - 03:27 pm
I have just returned from

I have just returned from Atlanta where my 13 year old granddaughter is on life support at Emory Childrens Egleston Hospital. Doctors have attached her to an ECMO System to create a lung bypass. She is critical..her kidneys have now failed and she is also on dialysis. We w ould appreciate your prayers...Thank you and God Bless.

White_Trash1
White_Trash1 09/19/08 - 03:29 pm
unnamed, put the kid on the

unnamed, put the kid on the bus and save gas

factchecker
factchecker 09/19/08 - 03:30 pm
Wonders upon wonders -

Wonders upon wonders - Jack234's 1:16 and 1:56 posts (unless he changes it) did not have the word independent in it not even once.

White_Trash1
White_Trash1 09/19/08 - 03:30 pm
and solve the traffic flow

and solve the traffic flow problem at the same time

jack234
jack234 09/19/08 - 03:36 pm
Dontwantademocrat: As an

Dontwantademocrat: As an independent, no one is perfect. LOL

goBAMA_09_ROLLTIDE
goBAMA_09_ROLLTIDE 09/19/08 - 03:36 pm
Mr. Independent, I still

Mr. Independent, I still think you are wrong. This ammendentment was written so as no government could bar a person from voting; but, it in no way implies that everybody is guaranteed the right to vote. If it guaranteed the right of every single person to vote, the word "guarantee" would be written somewhere in the ammendment. I suggest you read the following: http://www.house.gov/jackson/test/PositionPaper_Voting.doc "The U.S. Constitution contains no explicit affirmative individual right to vote!" I'm not sure who or what you were teaching to cause you to have to have a "syllabus;" but, it certainly wasn't history or civics. And the smug ending to your comment really does nothing to impress me. You are the one that is wrong, not I.

factchecker
factchecker 09/19/08 - 03:38 pm
Jack - I'm going to have to

Jack - I'm going to have to disagree with you on the voting not being a right. By the very definition of a republic you have the right to vote - Webster: a government in which supreme power resides in a body of citizens entitled to VOTE and is exercised by elected officers and representatives responsible to them and governing according to law