Rants and raves

Comments from our readers.

WASHINGTON ROAD PAVING? Huh! MLK Boulevard could use repaving, too, but then April visitors most likely won't be traveling that road. We just pay the taxes.

A RAVE FOR Mr. Wehunt, the lower school principal at Augusta Prep. I don't know if the afternoon pickup routine was his idea ... but it's fantastic!

BIG RANT FOR Bush. He just gave $1 billion of our hard-earned tax money to the wrong Georgia.

SARAH PALIN IS a successful woman, so why aren't the feminists rallying behind her? Because she loves and enjoys her children. To the feminists, children are a burden to be avoided. Poor feminists, women are no longer listening to their mindless drivel.

I AM NORMALLY not a college football fan, but I get sick at the fact that people in Georgia think the Bulldogs are some kind of gods and that Mark Richt is some kind of god.

A RANT TO REPUBLICANS, particularly those at the convention. While the Democrats were classy and did not talk down to the Republican Party, the Republicans have done nothing but be rude and disgraceful to them.

I AGREE WITH the senior from Evans High about the problem of honors parking -- and I'm a parent! My son earned his pass to park there and many selfish parents are ruining it for these hardworking kids.

BUSH JUST SENT "an extra" $1 billion to Georgia. That's a billion more of our money that doesn't yet exist, but Bush just pours it out like it's water from Gustav. Obama, with his communist tendencies (They're worse than tendencies) would likely do worse by actually helping the Russians arm, but that doesn't make Bush right.

HOW CAN OBAMA, a lifetime member of the Chicago political machine, ever even pretend to be for ethics reform?

BOTH GEORGIA SENATORS, Chambliss and Isakson, have come out foursquare against import tariffs. Import tariffs are what our Founding Fathers used to finance the original U.S. government. Thus, our present senators are fighting directly against our Founding Fathers. Which group do you trust?

As It Is
As It Is 09/19/08 - 03:07 am
So, let me get this

So, let me get this straight...you live in Georgia, you aren't even a college football fan and you have the audacity to rant about the fact that Georgian's fully support the UGA football team and its coach - amazing!! And to anyone that thinks MLK Boulevard or any other such side street meets the needs and demands of this community as does Washington Road, you are clueless. As for what this community gains in April from the Augusta National, the taxes ingathered from businesses, the Masters tournament and from the 13% bed tax are enormous to our community and something that we could not do without.

PTHS2
PTHS2 09/19/08 - 03:21 am
I think they leave MLK Blvd

I think they leave MLK Blvd bumpy on purpose. This helps slow down the car theives and carjackers and reduce high-speed chases. It also has the added bonus of discouraging the gangstas from cruisin' around there blaring their rap crap. It's just the A-RC answer to CC's speed bumps. Be grateful! G'mornin, namasta and the rest of y'all!

luv2scrapbk
luv2scrapbk 09/19/08 - 03:27 am
As It Is, I respect your

As It Is, I respect your devotion to UGA. However, not all persons living in Georgia are Bulldog fans. Sadly, some Bulldog fans, not all, are overly optimistic and actually believe Georgia can go undefeated in the SEC this year. Sorry, but its just not probable. If they do, I will be truly impressed. I agree with you about the impact The Master's tournament has on our area's economy. I don't go over to that side of town (MLK Blvd.), but I am almost certain (Someone correct me if I am wrong.) it is not the Richmond County Commission that makes decisions on which roads will and will not get paved. That decision should lie with the State of Georgia. So I suggest that person contact his or her representative to make those concerns known. Last, but not least, the Democrats were not lily white at their convention. They hacked on Republicans pretty hard. Democrats have been especially personal in their attacks on the Honorable Governor of Alaska. So get off your high horse, and take off the rose colored glasses.

kat30815
kat30815 09/19/08 - 04:06 am
does anybody ever wonder if

does anybody ever wonder if there is still any gold in Fort Knox? how can the government loan out money like they have without putting up some collateral, or having liquidated some valuable assets, like the gold reserves...

debby
debby 09/19/08 - 04:17 am
I'm an EHS parent. Both of my

I'm an EHS parent. Both of my kids qualified for honor's parking (2003 and this year) but passed it up because they saw that it was more of a hassle to park there, Your student had three years to observe the hassles of honors parking just like mine did. Some students choose more wisely than others and avoid the problem altogether.

Reality
Reality 09/19/08 - 04:21 am
Real money isn't changing

Real money isn't changing hands, they are pencil whipping us...

White_Trash1
White_Trash1 09/19/08 - 04:25 am
Good Morning Awguster

Good Morning Awguster

White_Trash1
White_Trash1 09/19/08 - 04:27 am
Wall Street gained 400 in a

Wall Street gained 400 in a late day rally. Thank you President Bush for your leadership.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 09/19/08 - 04:29 am
"Honorable" Guvnah? Yeah,

"Honorable" Guvnah? Yeah, just like the honorable prez and all the DC cronies. She'll keep dodging bullets 'til election day, unless the truth about her shady dealings comes out. All repukes are shady. Darkness is always revealed in the light. So what's with the whiner about 1 billion going to a foreign country? Our honorable prez just borrowed a trillion to sustain the banks that are going bust cuz so many fools borrowed beyond their ability to pay and all the rich got richer and the poor are now poorer. All that inside trading, short-selling, and plain evil biz practices are why our country sucks worse now than it did 8 yrs ago. I'm not saying it sucks altogether, just that it's worse now than it has been in over a half century. Thanks GOP. Gotta love it!

TroubIe
TroubIe 09/19/08 - 04:29 am
morning everyone, and

morning everyone, and sliique, a very special good morning to you

luv2scrapbk
luv2scrapbk 09/19/08 - 04:33 am
I ask Democrats to

I ask Democrats to specifically lay out for us how is it "patriotic" to pay more taxes? Anyone who wants want to pay higher taxes, off you go. Leave my paycheck alone, I need all the disposable income I can get my hands on. Raising taxes is not a solution to a declining economy. Less taxes means more disposable income in the pockets all citizens. Dems talk about raising taxes on BIG OIL, this is an act that is ludicrous. Taxes are a cost rolled up into the wholesale price of gasoline. Raising BIG OIL's taxes means even higher prices at the pump.

White_Trash1
White_Trash1 09/19/08 - 04:36 am
Zeno, see my 5;27

Zeno, see my 5;27

Reality
Reality 09/19/08 - 04:40 am
Exactly how long did you

Exactly how long did you think the stock market would rise with out correcting itself? I don't like handing out money to other countries either, but this is a necessary evil when you are a super-power. I am sure you would rather give it to the lazy, good for nothing baby machines right here in the USA. The Democrats have done a wonderful job in Congress haven't they. Give it a rest.....

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 09/19/08 - 04:53 am
Not one politician ever did

Not one politician ever did anything to please me. If it were possible for our country to be governed fairly and righteously I would never find fault. So go on and spout the partisan hatred for one of the other, both are deadly to the American public, both are about as useless as a dirty diaper, and just because we claim superhero status doesn't mean we have to go around the world and be its police and paper boy. C'mon, put blame where it belongs, in the heart of every human living or dead who has contributed to the attitude of "gimme, gimme". The Bible says the leech has two daughters: Give, give. I also think it says something about a curse on those who oppress the poor and condemn the innocent. Maybe that's why things don't seem to work out as planned...because too many humans want and want more and give no thought to how it hurts others. Yeah RK, I see your praise for an unworthy recipient. My kids are gonna love paying off the debt our prez created for them and their grandchildren. Way to go Washington. Hey Scrapper, don't like taxes? Don't pay 'em. See if that helps you feel any better.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 09/19/08 - 05:01 am
Reality, evil is never

Reality, evil is never necessary. Doing what is right and just and fair is what pleases God. I doubt any politician will ever achieve anything close to that. So I don't think politics has any place. What's more important is doing the right thing. If we don't like how Russia treats the Georgians we should just go in and show them how many bullets we can shoot at 'em before starting WW3. It's the same attitude we had about all the current conflicts we now have to deal with. What's one more anyway?

White_Trash1
White_Trash1 09/19/08 - 05:01 am
Zeno, weren't you the one who

Zeno, weren't you the one who was quoting scriptue, to who much is given, much is asked. Or does that only apply to other people?

karmakills123
karmakills123 09/19/08 - 05:06 am
Wow Zeno...way too much

Wow Zeno...way too much opionion to read this early.......and hey I live in SC and am not a Gamecock fan....GO GATORS !!!!! And of course Good Morning all !!!!

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 09/19/08 - 05:11 am
RK, not sure what your point

RK, not sure what your point is. Could you elaborate how that 6:01 comment is directed to something I said? OK Karma, in that case, hook 'em horns!

karmakills123
karmakills123 09/19/08 - 05:29 am
: )

: )

White_Trash1
White_Trash1 09/19/08 - 05:30 am
You say the bible applies to

You say the bible applies to everyone, even governments. Or is it a selective thing?

sTiCkMaN
sTiCkMaN 09/19/08 - 05:30 am
people around here make such

people around here make such a big deal over UGA because the falcons suck so bad, so they all follow college ball.

pofwe
pofwe 09/19/08 - 05:33 am
Chambliss and Isakson, are

Chambliss and Isakson, are like the other 98 Senators. They're running around like chickens with their heads cut-off trying to find a reason to ask voters to re-elect them. The fact is, there is no reason to re-elect this bunch of confused thieves. Turn the whole lot out.

White_Trash1
White_Trash1 09/19/08 - 05:39 am
Zeno, give unto Ceaser what

Zeno, give unto Ceaser what is Ceasers

White_Trash1
White_Trash1 09/19/08 - 05:40 am
Now start paying your taxes

Now start paying your taxes like the rest of us.

PTHS2
PTHS2 09/19/08 - 05:45 am
Zeno - I wish the best for

Zeno - I wish the best for you. However, I don't think somebody that "Found God" in a prison shower should be quoting The Lord's Word to pass judgment on others. Trade your internet connection money for the medications and treatment that you so desperately need.

factchecker
factchecker 09/19/08 - 05:46 am
It was the Clinton

It was the Clinton administration, obsessed with multiculturalism, that dictated where mortgage lenders could lend, and originally helped create the market for the high-risk subprime loans now infecting like a retrovirus the balance sheets of many of Wall Street’s most revered institutions. Tough new regulations forced lenders into high-risk areas where they had no choice but to lower lending standards to make the loans that sound business practices had previously guarded against making. It was either that or face stiff government penalties. And in so doing, he helped create the market for the risky subprime loans that he and Democrats now decry as not only greedy but ‘predatory.’ - Investor's Business Daily

PTHS2
PTHS2 09/19/08 - 05:51 am
Dontwanta - Excellent points

Dontwanta - Excellent points - however, those capable of rational thought already know where it came from. The others will never get it and Obiden will get some votes.

chad6401
chad6401 09/19/08 - 05:52 am
Donwant Well said, It seem

Donwant Well said, It seem that the memory of many people here only goes back 8 years, and just refuse to look any farther back. wasn't it under Prez. Carter that the housing morgage rates hit around 19% or higher, instutited a windfall tax that almost runied the country, Looks to me that Obama has just given an old play a new look but it is still the same old Poo.

luv2scrapbk
luv2scrapbk 09/19/08 - 06:00 am
Zeno, if our fair government

Zeno, if our fair government would pass the fair tax, i would not have to pay income taxes. True it is replacing one tax with another but I'll take 23% over 35% anyday. PTHS, I do not agree with Zeno's POV but it really don't matter where God was found as long as he was found. Let's all remember this forum is designed to be a spirited debate of the issues not personal attacks on one another. It is OK to disagree, but let's try to not get personal.

chad6401
chad6401 09/19/08 - 06:02 am
During the Carter Admin Oh

During the Carter Admin Oh yea a Democrat Led by Volcker, the Federal Reserve raised the discount rate from 10 percent when Volcker assumed the chairmanship in August 1979 to 12 percent within two months. The prime rate hit 21.5 percent in December 1980, the highest rate in U.S. history under any President. Investments in fixed income (both bonds and pensions being paid to retired people) were becoming less valuable. The high interest rates would lead to a sharp recession in the early 1980s.