Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

THANK YOU, First Baptist of North Augusta. The patriotic service was wonderful.

A RANT AGAINST The Augusta Chronicle . Why do they always print negative cartoons and negative articles on Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton?

WELL, SO MUCH for test scores. Why test if they will pass you anyway? And they wonder why our SAT scores keep falling.

A RAVE FOR DR. SCOTT at Center for Primary Care in Augusta.

I LOST A PET two years ago, and because of her microchip, she got the chance to come back home to me. I want to get the word out there of how important it is and to thank all the people involved in bringing her home.

CHURCHES IN Richmond County do not have to pay property taxes for the church building, but many churches have multiple other properties that are not taxed. This is not fair.

AM I THE ONLY PERSON who thinks there is something fishy with the lottery?

A BIG RAVE for Mayor Pro Tem Betty Beard and her magnificent way of micromanaging the city of Augusta. She started micromanaging the transit department, then moved on to the legal department, then the maintenance department and now the utility department. With her skills we don't need a city administrator, mayor or commissioners.

WHY IS IT HERE in Richmond County that 1,715 kids failed their promotion tests twice and 1,476 are still promoted to the next grade, anyway?

BASEBALL STADIUMS, trolley lines and other expensive ideas are nice, but Augusta needs to take care of what we already have, like Riverwalk, and cleaning up our roads of trash and weeds.

THERE ARE TWO things this paper lacks very badly. One is that there is no business section that has stocks or mutual funds, and this is very, very poor. No. 2 is the Sunday edition, the Parade magazine is a hundred times better than the USA magazine.

PARENTS, PLEASE KEEP your children from disturbing fellow parishioners through their horse playing, loud talking and unning up and down the church aisles to the bathroom.

WHAT YOU HAD ON your Sunday front page about the Bulldogs should be on the sports page.

A RAVE FOR YOUR column about Insurance 101. I am a physician. I have hundreds of patients who do not have or understand the importance of life insurance. Thank you very much for your service to the community.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 09/10/08 - 03:12 am
First. Finally. Now what do I

First. Finally. Now what do I do?

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 09/10/08 - 03:15 am
Dig a hole and put 'em in it.

Dig a hole and put 'em in it. All insurance companies are a racket to feed the rich and to influence lawmakers. For a fistful of dollars I can be burned and scattered, replenishing the earth with my sorry ole self. Who needs insurance?

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 09/10/08 - 03:19 am
Media, all forms everywhere,

Media, all forms everywhere, are manipulation vehicles to persuade the disinterested, the un-/under-educated, the lackadaisical, and the impoverished. That's why the AC et al are always trying to promote their bias, something each media mogul claims his publication doesn't have.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 09/10/08 - 03:22 am
Yeah, that's right. Let's

Yeah, that's right. Let's promote the 'chip' that everyone will soon want and demand. Then when the One World Govt is actual, not imagined or hoped for, we can all wait for the Lord's return and leave just before the abomination that causes desolation arrives on the scene. Mark of the Beast anyone?

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 09/10/08 - 03:25 am
Stocks and business pages are

Stocks and business pages are outdated before going to print. Tune into MSNBC or some other ticker show that gives you up-to-the-minute changes. As for local business reports...nothing ever changes here, for the better anyway. So don't invest here. Find a more stable market.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 09/10/08 - 03:27 am
To the ranter about church

To the ranter about church kids disrupting services. Sit somewhere else then and don't pay attention to them. Or else go sit by them and try to help the parents by keeping them entertained. What, you were never a kid bored in church on Sunday morning? Get a grip.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 09/10/08 - 03:31 am
We need to do away with

We need to do away with standardized testing and teach the subjects. No kid will learn anything the govt tells them to learn. Try teaching and making it interesting to them. Knowledge has to be made relevant or it loses value to the student. How is helping a teacher keep their job by teaching standards for testing ever going to interest the students? We need to go back to the basic three "R's", being careful to spell all three correctly so as not to confuse the students about the subjects.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 09/10/08 - 03:34 am
What's 'fishy' about the

What's 'fishy' about the lottery is that so much gets spent on the 'everything else' but not education. The other part of it that 'stinks' is that so few winners win and so many lose. Sometimes I think the scratch off games are rigged...but that's on days I forget to put on my tin-foil hat.

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 09/10/08 - 04:32 am
You are a hoot this morning,

You are a hoot this morning, grab some coffee (I'll get a coke, thanks) and read the funnies. Oh, that is what rants and raves are for.

White_Trash1
White_Trash1 09/10/08 - 05:12 am
Good Morning Awguster

Good Morning Awguster

White_Trash1
White_Trash1 09/10/08 - 05:17 am
Nothing fishy about the

Nothing fishy about the lottery, it is a form of legalized gambling. It is designed to make money for the state, not the players. If you can't afford to loose, don't buy a ticket.

White_Trash1
White_Trash1 09/10/08 - 05:19 am
Before I forget again. Good

Before I forget again. Good morning sliique

White_Trash1
White_Trash1 09/10/08 - 05:28 am
To those who think the

To those who think the lottery is a good way to make money, I have a sure fire way to win, just send $50 cash for my scientific analaysis (sp?). Cash only please!!!

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/10/08 - 05:37 am
Man Zen musta started with a

Man Zen musta started with a double expresso this morning lol.

Reality
Reality 09/10/08 - 05:40 am
I'll give you $50 if zenoelia

I'll give you $50 if zenoelia doesn't talk in her sleep .....and answer herself.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 09/10/08 - 05:54 am
The reason the AC doesn't

The reason the AC doesn't print anything but negative political cartoons about Obama and Hillary is because we've already seen the positive one.

Reality
Reality 09/10/08 - 05:56 am
Smooth one.

Smooth one.

christian134
christian134 09/10/08 - 05:59 am
Good morning everyone...Stay

Good morning everyone...Stay safe out there today...To the ranter concerning the cartoons I believe the drawings are right on point...If there were any good point to draw they would already have been displayed...As it is..Oh well...:-)

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 09/10/08 - 06:00 am
Zeno, when you wake up in the

Zeno, when you wake up in the middle of the night, aren't you supposed to take that last xanex?

sawgrass
sawgrass 09/10/08 - 06:15 am
ZenoElia - why not pick one

ZenoElia - why not pick one topic and discuss the subject at length instead of trying to anaylize each rant/rave. Insurance companies are in business to make money. However, each person needs some sort of basic life insurance. Cremation has become a popular form of burial which has driven up the cost. Social Security pays a whopping $255.00 for burial expenses.

inkpup
inkpup 09/10/08 - 06:23 am
I always thought of cremation

I always thought of cremation as a popular form of non-burial. As in cremate me and take the ashes to wherever and heave'em to the wind.

LadyCisback
LadyCisback 09/10/08 - 06:24 am
I don't have any insurance

I don't have any insurance because I can't afford not because I don't understand the importance of it.. Ignorant!!

inkpup
inkpup 09/10/08 - 06:24 am
Can't ya just see John

Can't ya just see John Goodman now?

sawgrass
sawgrass 09/10/08 - 06:33 am
inkpup - some people prefer

inkpup - some people prefer to be cremated and ashes strewn. Some prefer to be placed in an urn or container and have a simple burial in a favorite place. The costs of a traditional burial come from the funeral home. LadyCisback - you make no sense.

inkpup
inkpup 09/10/08 - 06:39 am
Righto Saw, and I guess

Righto Saw, and I guess there's sections of mausoleums for the urns too. I just was nitpicking the burial/nonburial idea when the amusing mental picture of Goodman came to mind.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 09/10/08 - 06:48 am
Cremation, if you find a

Cremation, if you find a Funeral Home not out to bleed your family to death about $3000, Traditional Funeral $12,000.
To the people in Augusta, North Augusta, I say shop around as we learned to do. Outside of Augusta you can save $9000 and get the same service with more personable, caring people! This I can tell you from very recent experience.

Fire n Ice
Fire n Ice 09/10/08 - 06:53 am
Ciao Angie!

Ciao Angie!

Reality
Reality 09/10/08 - 06:53 am
Average Life Insurance policy

Average Life Insurance policy $10,000 average burial +/- $12,000, coincidence?

itamazezme
itamazezme 09/10/08 - 06:56 am
RE: PARENTS PLEASE KEEP-

RE: PARENTS PLEASE KEEP- Didn't Jesus say something about suffer not the little children bring them to Me. It seems to me that the children are doing what they are supposed to do. living carefree and having fun and depending upon their age yes some should know how to sit for hours listening to adult sermons which they cannot fully comprehend(boring is what the kids are thinking). I think the solution to your problem is to have a childrens church for the younger ones to attend at the same time that the adult church is happening. The only problem in that is are you ready to give up "your church time" in order to teach someone else the lessons of your faith?

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 09/10/08 - 07:01 am
A good Preacher like a "good"

A good Preacher like a "good" Politician understands that the perfect Sermon or Speech has a good beginning and a good ending and that they are kept close together! After 10 minutes you lose the most interested attendees attention. I can say for a fact that I'm thinking lunch after about 8 minutes and nodding off after about 10 minutes! Children can go for about 3 to 4 minutes before they want to forget about it altogether!