Rants and Raves

Comments from our readers:

FAITH-BASED initiatives are making shady preachers wealthy.

RANT FOR The Chronicle and the Lucy C. Laney band. I can't believe the picture on the front page of The Chronicle on Aug. 30. That was very rude of the band to be laying down while the other band was performing. The football team must have done the same thing since they lost the game.

I WANT TO THANK the Highway Department that cut the grass between Aiken and New Ellenton on Whiskey Road. Every day that we pulled out of the dirt road or out of our driveway we took our life in our hands because the grass was over 2 feet high and you couldn't see the traffic that was approaching on the hill as you went to pull out. It would be nice if you could cut it more than once every four months.

SONNY SPEAKS WITH forked tongue. How can Georgia's governor possibly come up with a tax break for drug companies at a time like this? This is the same man upping your property taxes to fill a budgetary void and cutting every possible state program to the bone, except his pet projects.

IT IS OBVIOUS THAT McCain's picking a 44-year-old female as a running mate is an attempt to pull as many Hillary backers as possible. This could backfire if McCain had a fatal heart attack.

I AM SO GLAD that someone else has put the election of our next president in God's hands. Only he knows who's the best.

JOHN MCCAIN'S vice presidential pick has already shown a serious lack of judgment. She didn't have the good sense to say "no" when offered a job for which she is supremely unqualified.

MY RANT IS FOR Sarah Palin. She knew that she had a 17-year-old unwed mother that was going to be subjected to this horrible media blitz at a time when she is really needing her privacy, so I think whether Mrs. Palin is qualified or not as vice president remains to be seen, but her family values seem to be missing.

PORK BARREL Republicans have created the biggest welfare program in the history of the U.S.: faith-based initiatives.

kiddspur
kiddspur 09/07/08 - 11:58 pm
I get number 1 and it is

I get number 1 and it is Glory Glory only 57 more days until Election on November 4 -- then all the bickering and nit picking as to who is tops will be done -- 57 and counting.

tired of idiots
tired of idiots 09/08/08 - 12:25 am
To the person ranting about

To the person ranting about the band; That is just a form of taunting among the bands during the battle. It is not disrespect. When I was in the band, other bands put up newspapers and things like that. It is all in fun.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 09/08/08 - 01:02 am
What do you mean the 17 year

What do you mean the 17 year old needs her privacy? It kills me how people think that when a teen gets themselves pregnant they always look to the grandparents to turn parents again. Your mistake you deal with it. Grandparents can help out but it's not their child to raise. So Palin should put her life on hold for her 17 year olds mistake. That's warped IMO. Sure she can help out but not raise it. Her 17 year old knew she was a public figure before she got pregnant and before the VP thing. To suggest her family values are missing because she went on with her life and goals because her 17 year old got pregnant is crazy. She juggled her career and children quite well thus far, why should it be stopped becuase her practically grown child has a child? If nothing else she shows good work ethics and that you can still be all that you can be while having a young child, so hopefully the new baby wont stop her daughter from going to college and suceeding either. At least some people have a little more intelligent arguements like the fact she has a new baby herself at home, I could at least respect that one.

NEone
NEone 09/08/08 - 01:03 am
Tired: All in fun? Since when

Tired: All in fun? Since when is taunting a part of good sportsmanship and respect? It's sorely lacking in too many young people today, as seen in both the band's behavior and your comments.

kat30815
kat30815 09/08/08 - 01:31 am
i think Palin should have

i think Palin should have thought about how a "17 year old pregnant daughter" would look as a headline. maybe recite it a few times, then realize its best if her daughter stayed at home in Alaska rather than bring her into the media spotlight.

Reality
Reality 09/08/08 - 01:58 am
Well, just maybe the

Well, just maybe the publicity will have a positive effect on teen pregnancies. She is not abandoning her family, she is working. I guess being a Governor was only a 9:00-5:00 job anyway....

Reality
Reality 09/08/08 - 02:00 am
I believe the money pulled in

I believe the money pulled in by these faith based businesses should be taxed as well. I never understood why churches were tax exempt, they are big business that bring cash every week.

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 09/08/08 - 02:33 am
IMO the positive political

IMO the positive political impact of having Sarah Palin on the Republican ticket is really bothering Democrats. Why else would they be attacking her for the personal life of her family?

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 09/08/08 - 02:47 am
Why should she hide her

Why should she hide her daughter? Obviously she loves her and supports her. I love my kids unequivocally whether they become sucessful or make poor choices.. I may not agree with their choices but I would not be ashamed to say they are my children. I just wonder how many of us would stand up to the scrutiny she's going through. Leave her daughter out of it she made a mistake, kids do that all the time. At least she isn't on welfare.

wildman
wildman 09/08/08 - 03:29 am
If I was a Dem I would be

If I was a Dem I would be upset as well, McCain pulled the winning ticket when he picked Sarah. As the old folks say, "this to shall pass" and the Dems will live with McCain and Palin for the next four years. I hate it for you.

georgiaboy30909
georgiaboy30909 09/08/08 - 03:45 am
Even as Nobama says Leave her

Even as Nobama says Leave her family alone. People should leave the family out of the election process. It is just the normal way the [filtered word] medio acts all ways having to be flapping their gums about something negative. Just like when the candidates did not let the vp choice be know ahead of time, the media whined that was unfair they should have known ahead of time. They wanted to dirt dig the people so now they are pouting with the fat lips stuck out because they can not say nanny nanny boo boo we know and you that all dumb general population do not know. Sickening media people.

angie611
angie611 09/08/08 - 04:35 am
Good morning fire.

Good morning fire.

angie611
angie611 09/08/08 - 04:37 am
Birth control anyone?

Birth control anyone?

angie611
angie611 09/08/08 - 04:39 am
Leave the family out of the

Leave the family out of the election process? That's a joke.

angie611
angie611 09/08/08 - 04:44 am
Most people, Dems or Reps

Most people, Dems or Reps look at 'their' choice through rose colored glasses anyhow. There isn't 'right or wrong'. It's all opinion. Folks just THINK it is a 'right or a wrong'. Each thinks just as strongly about their side as the other thinks about theirs. Me? I ain't voting for neither side this election. That is MY choice. Good luck to who ever gets elected though. We're gonna need it!!!!!!

Sweet T
Sweet T 09/08/08 - 04:49 am
not voting, now there is a

not voting, now there is a brilliant idea, "i cant decide what to do, so i am going to set here and do nothing" do you do that when you cant decide what to have for dinner too?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 09/08/08 - 05:05 am
Shady preachers were getting

Shady preachers were getting wealthy long before faith based initiatives.

georgiaboy30909
georgiaboy30909 09/08/08 - 05:06 am
I hope joel osteen is in that

I hope joel osteen is in that crowd you mentioned about shady preachers

Reality
Reality 09/08/08 - 05:07 am
Amen. I don't think we should

Amen. I don't think we should continue to reward them.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 09/08/08 - 05:09 am
Palin would have never been

Palin would have never been picked if Obama and his crew hadn't dissed Hillary so bad. Now, as a result, McCain has been forced into making the best imaginable choice for VP. Regardless of the original intent, Excalibur has been drawn.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 09/08/08 - 05:11 am
georgiaboy, you must not know

georgiaboy, you must not know much about joel osteen.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 09/08/08 - 05:13 am
As indicated by the printed

As indicated by the printed comments, the left is in full panic stampede, and well they should.

missjudy
missjudy 09/08/08 - 05:32 am
Fiesty, when you are not

Fiesty, when you are not smart enough to make a decision you vote "present"

angie611
angie611 09/08/08 - 05:33 am
fiesty? Did I ruffle your

fiesty? Did I ruffle your feathers? I don't like NOT A ONE of the choices. Therefore, I don't have to decide. And your comparison to deciding that and dinner? (eye's rolling)

angie611
angie611 09/08/08 - 05:38 am
missjudy..I'm smart enough.

missjudy..I'm smart enough. Why are y'all so up set that I'm not voting...I've always been a voter. Not going to this time around. Get over it...like I said. Good luck with who ever gets elected. I repeat. We are gonna NEED IT!!!! What's it all come to?

angie611
angie611 09/08/08 - 05:45 am
No Longer Amazed. Regarding

No Longer Amazed. Regarding your 3:33 post. They are attacking her because they are on opposing sides...duh....that's what the ALL do...Dems and Reps...

Reality
Reality 09/08/08 - 05:50 am
You should vote for one of

You should vote for one of them, because one of them is going to help deciding where your tax money gets spent and where the country is headed...

angie611
angie611 09/08/08 - 05:53 am
At least Palins new baby and

At least Palins new baby and her daughters baby to be will be close in age...makes for good playmates...

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 09/08/08 - 05:56 am
Having been in the Band at

Having been in the Band at LANEY, back in the late 70s early 80s, we did the same thing, we would turn our backs, hold news papers up etc, if we thought that bands show was boring during half time. Most all bands do that. Now if we had played in the stands while Jefferson County Band was on the field that would have been disrespectful. Next time anyone goes to a game (high school), look at the visiting band, most times if they don't go on the field at half time, they are at the concession stand while the home band is performing, what's the difference.

PTHS2
PTHS2 09/08/08 - 06:04 am
Tax refunds to Hyde Park

Tax refunds to Hyde Park residents with the "hope" that the owners will use the money for home repairs? I think I'll stick to playing Mega-Millions lottery - the odds are much better.

Sickness closes all McDuffie County schools

One day after closing an elementary because of excessive absences caused by an outbreak of illnesses, the McDuffie County School System has decided to enact an emergency closure of all seven of ...