Rants and raves

Comments from our readers.

WAKE UP, AMERICA. If you really think that John McCain and Barack Obama can change your way of life then you need serious help.

THIS IS A BIG RAVE for Jason who works down at Kroger on 15th Street. He is such a wonderful manager of the meat market. I don't how they could have ever gotten along before without him.

ARE THESE MANAGERS afraid to tell these young boys to pull up their pants and tighten their belt up? I mean they look terrible walking in these places people have to go in and look at their pants hanging all around their behind.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS picture? Dr. Bedden gets a $15,000 bonus, and the Richmond County Board of Education raises our taxes.

TO THE PERSON WHO said we need new teachers in the classroom, I invite you to take a step into a teacher's role for one week. We are expected to fill the role of parent, caregiver, provider, psychologist and disciplinarian in addition to teaching the state required standards. Teachers first have to overcome the obstacle of parent and student apathy. In layman's terms, the I-don't-care attitude. Teaching first begins in the home. You want to make a difference, start with the face you see in the mirror every morning.

I WOULD LIKE TO RAVE to the Columbia County Police Department for continually patrolling the Mulliken Road area for speeders since the tragic accident on July 16.

CONGRATULATIONS TO the Augusta Lynx for hiring a wonderful coach. John Marks will be a welcome addition. We are very thankful that he is with us. I invite everyone to try and make it to as many games as possible this season. With the price of gasoline, hometown based activities are the cheapest. LETS GO LYNX!!!

WHY IS THE government bailing out so many banks? They made sorry, greedy decisions.

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 08/12/08 - 03:11 am
I think law enforcement is

I think law enforcement is the answer to most of today's problems. However, I think the RAVE about the Columbia County Police Department continually patrolling the Mulliken Road area for speeders since the tragic accident is ironic. If this had been done before the accident there would have been RANTS about speed traps, like there is for North Augusta.

Trouble

White_Trash1 08/12/08 - 05:35 am
Good Morning Awguster

Good Morning Awguster

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 08/12/08 - 05:42 am
government school graduate,

government school graduate, Dr Bedden's "bonus" is tied to performance parameters set by the BOE and included in his contract. The only thing wrong with the picture seems to be your confusion.

White_Trash1
White_Trash1 08/12/08 - 05:47 am
The gov't is bailing ot the

The gov't is bailing ot the banks to protect the depositors. That is the purpose of the FDIC

White_Trash1
White_Trash1 08/12/08 - 05:59 am
Give me coffee and nobody

Give me coffee and nobody gets hurt!!!!!!!!!!!

LadyCisback
LadyCisback 08/12/08 - 06:26 am
A lot of children lack home

A lot of children lack home training and manners..

Goaliemom1987
Goaliemom1987 08/12/08 - 06:39 am
I agree CCSO should have

I agree CCSO should have been patrolling Mullikin Rd before this accident. I drove down yesterday about 8:10am and had parents flying up on me because I was going the posted school speed limit.The same at 4:00 people coming from the end of Mullikin just don't slow down for the posted school speed. I hope CCSO will start giving out some tickets that just might help these speeders!

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/12/08 - 06:49 am
Ok, One Large Coffee and an

Ok, One Large Coffee and an IV needle and one dozen Doughnuts Please!

Fire n Ice
Fire n Ice 08/12/08 - 06:58 am
mornin Angie

mornin Angie

1941
1941 08/12/08 - 07:02 am
The problem is not the

The problem is not the teachers, it is the parents!!!!Most parents think that teachers are susposed to do what they should be doing, RAISING THEIR CHILDREN!!!!!!!. If the parents did what they were susposed to do then we would not know what color their children underwear is every day!!! Do they TEACH their kids how to behave in class? Do they sit with their children while they do their homework? Children act the same way in school as they do at home!!!!!!! The teachers have their education, because their parents taught them first at home, how to get an education, go to school, listen, ask questions of the teachers, study,. These kids of today are ignorant because their parents are ignorant!!!!!! They blame the teachers for their failures!!!!!!!!!

Jillian
Jillian 08/12/08 - 07:16 am
It's the parent's that need

It's the parent's that need to be serving detention, right beside the kids who are so clueless on how to sit down, shut up, and respect a teacher long enough to allow him/her to teach anything.

john
john 08/12/08 - 07:16 am
re: rant number 1. The only

re: rant number 1. The only one responsible for your way of life is YOU.

christian134
christian134 08/12/08 - 07:22 am
If the Dough-nuts were

If the Dough-nuts were non-fat then I would gladly say bring it on...As it is I will settle on the coffee with IV attached...:-) Good morning all...John I second that one but with an addendum..The only one responsible for your way of life is YOU and your complete faith and hope in God...The government isn't going to hand that one out on any sort of "platter"...

2tired2argueanymore
2tired2argueanymore 08/12/08 - 07:26 am
Someone at these banks should

Someone at these banks should go to Jail. The banks force you to get PMI when you get a loan with less than 20% down. Where is the PMI that should cover their ASSets. Oh that's right most of these banks decided to take that money for themselves and self insure. Sounds criminal to me.

freespeech
freespeech 08/12/08 - 07:35 am
If students are disrespectful

If students are disrespectful in class or repeatedly break the rules they should be kicked out of school. Any behavior that is disruptive to the learning environment should not be tolerated.

karmakills123
karmakills123 08/12/08 - 07:42 am
C&P ........An old man

C&P ........An old man approached the White House from across Pennsylvania Avenue, where he had been sitting on a park bench.He spoke to the Marine standing guard and said,I would like to go in and meet with President Barack Obama. The Marine replied, Sir, Mr. Obama is not President and doesn't reside
here. The old man said, Okay, and walked away.The following day, the same man approached the
White House and said to the same Marine, I would like to go in and meet with President Barack
Obama. The Marine again told the man, Sir, as I said yesterday, Mr.Obama is not President and
doesn't reside here. The man thanked him and again walked away. The third day, the same man
approached the White House and spoke to the very same Marine, saying I would like to go in and
meet with President Barack Obama.The Marine, understandably agitated at this point, looked
at the man and said, Sir, this is the third day in a row you have been here asking to speak to
Mr. Obama.I've told you already several times that Mr. Obama is not the President and doesn't
reside here. Don't you understand? The old man answered, Oh, I understand you fine. I just
love hearing your answer! The Marine snapped to attention, saluted, and said, See you tomorrow,
SIR!

CSRAider
CSRAider 08/12/08 - 07:56 am
What The HAY

What The HAY

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/12/08 - 08:14 am
Hay the What?

Hay the What?

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/12/08 - 08:15 am
karma, I like the way you

karma, I like the way you talk!

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 08/12/08 - 08:15 am
"Barack Obama gave a speech

"Barack Obama gave a speech in Germany and 200,000 people showed up. There were so many Germans shouting and screaming that France surrendered just in case

john
john 08/12/08 - 08:16 am
lol

lol

john
john 08/12/08 - 08:17 am
and I was just starting to

and I was just starting to say "french" fries again.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 08/12/08 - 08:18 am
Barack Obama is now denying

Barack Obama is now denying that he is email pals with the beautiful actress, Scarlett Johansson. Remember that story? They were saying that Scarlett Johansson and Barack Obama were emailing each other. He says no, it's not true. In fact his exact words were 'I did not have textual relations with that woman

huggybear30809
huggybear30809 08/12/08 - 08:22 am
From Richmond Times-Dispatch,

From Richmond Times-Dispatch, Monday, July 7, 2008 ~

Dear Editor, Times-Dispatch:

'Each year I get to celebrate Independence Day twice. On June 30 I celebrate my Independence Day, and on July 4 I celebrate America's. This year is special, because it marks the 40Th anniversary of my independence.

'On June 30, 1968, I escaped Communist Cuba, and a few months later, I was in the United States to stay. That I happened to arrive in Richmond on Thanksgiving Day is just part of the story, but I digress.

'I've thought a lot about the anniversary this year. The election-year rhetoric has made me think a lot about Cuba and what transpired there. In the late 1950s, most Cubans thought Cuba needed a change, and they were right. So when a young leader came along, every Cuban was at least receptive.

'When the young leader spoke eloquently and passionately and denounced the old system, the press fell in love with him. They never questioned who his friends were or what he really believed in. When he said he would help the farmers and the poor and bring free medical care and education to all, everyone followed. When he said he would bring justice and equality to all, everyone said, 'Praise the Lord.' And when the young leader said, 'I will be for change and I'll bring you change,' everyone yelled, 'Viva Fidel!'

'But nobody asked about the change, so by the time the executioner's guns went silent, the people's guns had been taken away. By the time everyone was equal, they were equally poor, hungry, and oppressed. By the time everyone received their free education, it was worth nothing. By the time the press noticed, it was too late, because they were now working for him. By the time the change was finally implemented, Cuba had been knocked down a couple of notches to Third-World status. By the time the change was over, more than a million people had taken to boats, rafts, and inner tubes. You can call those who made it ashore anywhere else in the world the most fortunate Cubans. And now I'm back to the beginning of my story.

'Luckily, we would never fall in America for a young leader who promised change without asking, what change? How will you carry it out? What will it cost America?

'Would we?'

Manuel Alvarez, Jr.

christian134
christian134 08/12/08 - 08:26 am
Quite poignant huggybear...

Quite poignant huggybear...

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 08/12/08 - 08:32 am
Half of America won't have

Half of America won't have any idea what that letter means, huggybear.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 08/12/08 - 08:37 am
Hopefully slightly more than

Hopefully slightly more than half will.....

Unbelievable
Unbelievable 08/12/08 - 08:40 am
The rants and raves

The rants and raves 'comments' area is pretty funny this morning. Enjoy your freedoms, and be kind to one another. You never know what tomorrow will hold.

Fatality highlights golf cart safety

Erin Hutchison, whose mother has driven a golf cart for a decade, described the vehicles as “relaxing,” but the recent death of a young girl in Aiken has raised awareness of the danger they ...