Rants and raves

Comments from our readers.

TO THE RANTER who wished Sherman had burned Augusta: Sherman lost 40,000 men from his 100,000-man army taking Atlanta. Sherman had no supply line or reinforcements, and Augusta was much larger than Atlanta at that time and much more heavily fortified because of the Confederate Powder Works. I, too, wish Sherman would have invaded Augusta, as I feel sure his army would have been destroyed, and he would have been hung as a war criminal. Sherman was a prototype Nazi, insane and evil, but unfortunately he was not stupid, so he chose not to invade Augusta.

PRAYERS FOR DR. BEDDEN. That said, he answered the first question in your article -- "What has been your biggest challenge?" -- by avoiding the question. To use a vague term like "attitude" is merely to sidestep the question. He "still doesn't think the system is broken." What else could it be?

COULD THE COUNTY , especially downtown, switch the traffic lights to blinkers, especially after hours? Gas and pollution could be saved.

A BIG RAVE FOR Donna Moore, her staff and the volunteers who run The Good Samaritan Respite Center in Augusta. You folks are doing a super job at helping the sick and less fortunate.

RAVES FOR THE BOARD of Education in Jeffersonville, Ga. Finally, a sensible board. They reinstated their corporal punishment policy that allows unruly students to be paddled, with parents informed and witnesses to the paddling. Double raves!

IT'S AMAZING THAT public school boards can keep raising taxes, but the results to student education keep going the other direction.

WHY NOT TEACH both the old and the new math methods? That way when the kids flunk out of school, at least they'll know math.

If you have an opinion you want to share, call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax (706) 722-7403 or e-mail newsroom@augusta chronicle.com.

Nammy
Nammy 08/06/08 - 03:20 am
Spank them young-uns! Good

Spank them young-uns! Good morning pths and everyone! (': Back to bed for me...

Trouble
Trouble 08/06/08 - 03:55 am
morning all

morning all

Reality
Reality 08/06/08 - 04:01 am
"Lead fire investigator

"Lead fire investigator retires amid inquiry", this story is a bit misleading, it has another story attached to it about marijuana plants being seized.

christian134
christian134 08/06/08 - 04:01 am
Good morning all...A little

Good morning all...A little early but the coffee is good...Take care today as it looks to be very hot and humid....

Reality
Reality 08/06/08 - 04:05 am
Have you ever noticed ,that

Have you ever noticed ,that parents that discipline their children, usually don't need to , but the parents that don't discipline their children, need to????

christian134
christian134 08/06/08 - 04:16 am
That Reality is heavy

That Reality is heavy thinking this fine morning...:-) good morning and now as I gulp down my second cup of coffee your statement has truth..What would you call that? An oxymoron?....

White_Trash1
White_Trash1 08/06/08 - 04:21 am
Good Norning Awguster

Good Norning Awguster

Trouble
Trouble 08/06/08 - 04:22 am
ok, someone tell me who

ok, someone tell me who handles the obituaries for the ac, i KNOW i woke up dead this morning, but my name is not listed, something needs to be done about this................

Reality
Reality 08/06/08 - 04:25 am
We were talking about it over

We were talking about it over the weekend, we had a summer bbq and some children won't be invited back...I noticed that parents that continually checked their children, had good kids. On the other hand, parents that didn't check on their children , should have done since they were tearing up our house....

christian134
christian134 08/06/08 - 04:37 am
Those children needed to have

Those children needed to have their behinds popped...One thing I never allowed my children was to behave disrespectful towards other people and their properties...All I can say is having a child doesn't automatically make that person a parent...No more than owing a horse automatically makes that person an expert equestrian...

White_Trash1
White_Trash1 08/06/08 - 04:42 am
Reality, that is

Reality, that is uh...........reality

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 08/06/08 - 05:23 am
Reality, when we have unruly

Reality, when we have unruly children bless our house, they get to stay outside ... unless it's raining. I address them as though they were mine. (So far, no complaints from their parents.) My house is too big of an investment to be politically correct. (not that that's one of my problems)

LadyCisback
LadyCisback 08/06/08 - 05:31 am
Monday was a crap day for me,

Monday was a crap day for me, yesterday was even worse and today doesn't look very promising either.. I just have a bad feeling.. So much for our relaxing vacation.. I need another one now!!

Fire n Ice
Fire n Ice 08/06/08 - 05:44 am
Bon Jour Angie!

Bon Jour Angie!

kiddspur
kiddspur 08/06/08 - 05:54 am
Remember to make the words

Remember to make the words you post today kind and sweet - just in case you have to eat them later on!!! (Hee Hee) --- Good morning to one and all Ranters and Ravers!

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 08/06/08 - 05:57 am
Ok, who has the donuts this

Ok, who has the donuts this morning, where is the coffee pot? Oh yeah, I don't drink coffee, Ok, where is my coca cola bottle? Maybe a mountain dew will speed things along. Rants...Rants....Oh, yeah, Change the blasted Cartoon all ready! The Schools have not given any dates to registration, so when is it? Good morning everyone!

im a namechanger 2day
im a namechanger 2day 08/06/08 - 05:59 am
Good Morning fire...........

Good Morning fire...........

im a namechanger 2day
im a namechanger 2day 08/06/08 - 06:01 am
Trouble I have a club. I'll

Trouble I have a club. I'll be glad to go ahead and finish you off.....

im a namechanger 2day
im a namechanger 2day 08/06/08 - 06:02 am
I always enjoy waking up and

I always enjoy waking up and reading the rest of yesterday's rants and raves as well........Hi kidd

im a namechanger 2day
im a namechanger 2day 08/06/08 - 06:06 am
Good morning Rose. For

Good morning Rose. For whenever you come on the board.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/06/08 - 06:26 am
OK it's too hot for fresh

OK it's too hot for fresh donuts so I'm serving Ice Cream Donuts this morning, Get em' while their cold!

Mr. Thackeray
Mr. Thackeray 08/06/08 - 07:11 am
To the Sherman Ranter. You

To the Sherman Ranter. You have no clue. You have been bitten by the Lost Cause rhetoric of a bygone era. Sherman did not tear through Georgia destroying all in his path. In fact he gave specific orders only to destroy the property of those that fired upon his troops. You are living a lie. Sherman was very careful about following what were the accepted laws of war at the time.

Sherman used the threat of marching to Augusta to keep the Rebs guessing. After taking Savannah, on his march through South Carolina, a cavalry detachment was sent to Augusta via Aiken...it didn't make it due to the Battle of Aiken and retreated.

BTW, did you know that during his march Confederate soldiers used IEDs which were considered barbaric and illegal? Sherman's response? He had Rebel prisoners in front of his troops to dismantle the bombs. The IEDs stopped.

Who is the war criminal now?

426Hemi
426Hemi 08/06/08 - 07:12 am
Not only did Sherman lose all

Not only did Sherman lose all those men, he lost his arm which now lies buried, immortal, in a shrine in Spotsylvania County Virginia. May it rest in piece, I mean peace!

WW1949
WW1949 08/06/08 - 07:22 am
Too long ago to worry about.

Too long ago to worry about.

PTHS2
PTHS2 08/06/08 - 07:25 am
Hemi - I have visited, and

Hemi - I have visited, and urinated on, that shrine. G'mornin, y'all. I can't figure out how to respond to Mr. T's post (yet)

White_Trash1
White_Trash1 08/06/08 - 07:29 am
I always thought Sherman

I always thought Sherman bypassed Awguster 'cause his mistress asked him to. There ya'll go again, ruining a good story with facts!

PTHS2
PTHS2 08/06/08 - 07:36 am
RK - There ya go. Did his

RK - There ya go. Did his mistress' name start with "T"? I always thought Africans came to America for employment and free housing and food. Gen Sherman helped spoil that idea. Maybe Obama can change it back.

cn683
cn683 08/06/08 - 07:53 am
totally against the blinking

totally against the blinking lights at night......people dont know how to even use a 4 way stop during the day......let alone in a postion where it is dark / drunks are out / etc etc etc.....i hope not. i think so there will be so may wrecks........

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 08/06/08 - 08:00 am
You are an idiot. I know you

You are an idiot. I know you will figure out who I am talking about>

PTHS2
PTHS2 08/06/08 - 08:05 am
FFH - Just making sure you

FFH - Just making sure you were out there and okay this morning. Thank you for checking in.