Rants and raves

Comments from our readers.

RANT TO THE Richmond County School System: A public information director has been hired to answer questions and provide information while travel budgets for informative conferences and other instructional needs have been cut from the budget?

RANT TO AUDITORS on the Butt Memorial Bridge lack of repairs. The reason is that the public wants to keep the bridge and our politicians want to remove it. They hope it falls down so they will have their way.

RAVE FOR STEWART at Hill Drugs. He is always letting you know the most economical way to fill your prescription. I really appreciate this!

A GALLUP POLL SAYS only 12 percent of Americans think Congress does anything right. Where did they find those 12 percent? Everybody knows Congress only thinks of their own egos and ambitions.

EVERY TIME our public school pupils fail, our politicians want to spend more. Now they want to provide individual tutors for the failing students. And they call it "free." Of course, somebody pays, in this case the taxpayer pays again, since he's already paid one time for the initial public schooling. With decent parental teaching and discipline added to normal public school teaching, nothing more is required of taxpayers. Let the kids fail and then go out and learn the hard way.

GOV. PERDUE'S budget man, Trey Childress, "is asking state agencies to cut their budgets." Great idea, but a better idea is for the state to completely cut out a whole mess of agencies, those that do nothing but exist unconstitutionally and blow zillions of dollars. They could easily begin with cutting out half of the state's agencies. Then sit back and see how much better everything works.

SCOTT MICHAUX WRITES that ball team "Mascots have always seemed a little ridiculous." Right! And the U. of Georgia is giving a "funeral" to a dog with an "interment" in a marble vault. It's worse than silly, since this borders on animal worship.

Comments (289)

PTHS2
PTHS2 07/09/08 - 04:20 am

I suppose I don't understand

I suppose I don't understand the point of the first rant. To me, it seems like having somebody dedicated to answer/address the public's questions and concerns and provide information on new programs/policies is more important than sending adminstrators on boondoggle trips. Somebody help me out here. G'morning y'all.

Fire n Ice
Fire n Ice 07/09/08 - 04:36 am

morning angie

morning angie

Trouble
Trouble 07/09/08 - 05:27 am

morning all, PTHS sorry, i

morning all, PTHS sorry, i cant help you there, but maybe freeman will come back under his new name (Zeno) and explain it to you

teabag1963
teabag1963 07/09/08 - 05:50 am

very good zenoleba nice to

very good zenoleba nice to know someone on here reads something besides comic books like these dolts.well no need to waste my energy since they're removing anything i write.hey jr don't keep us in suspense loser, what is your new name you old broke down redneck bastard.hey jesse wheres my cake, i have to be at the barmitzvah at 12 noon,stop playing with the easy bake oven and get it ready .

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/09/08 - 05:55 am

I like Zeno better then

I like Zeno better then freeman. Zeno thinks an occasional effort should be made to appear intelligent. Freeman always went for quantity over quality.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/09/08 - 05:56 am

12% of Americans polled think

12% of Americans polled think congress is right all of the time.

i.b.e.w..electric
i.b.e.w..electric 07/09/08 - 06:37 am

the last ranter must be a

the last ranter must be a gamecock and hes made because they cant find a rooster who can bark.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/09/08 - 06:43 am

We'll see how the Dawgs stand

We'll see how the Dawgs stand up against Spurrier's 'Cocks this year.

christian134
christian134 07/09/08 - 06:50 am

Good morning all...:-)

Good morning all...:-)

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 07/09/08 - 06:59 am

It has been announced that

It has been announced that the Richmond County School Tax will be raised, and this is right after a 'mouth-piece' was hired. Only one BOE member voted against the increase in tax, saying there are other ways to balance the budget. By the way, it was also reported that "some board members also want to repeal a 1996 law that makes Augusta homeowners, 65 and older, exempt from paying school property taxes." Can you imagine how much the property tax bill for these property owners will go up if that is repealed and what the impact will be on their budget?

PTHS2
PTHS2 07/09/08 - 07:08 am

Over here in Columbia County

Over here in Columbia County the school board is recommending not to raise the current millage rate. Our property values keep going up, but I guess we can't help that. ;-)

Reality
Reality 07/09/08 - 07:33 am

I must not understand the

I must not understand the duties of the Superintendent, I thought it was his job to keep us all informed....

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 07/09/08 - 07:58 am

hold on taxpayers here comes

hold on taxpayers here comes "another program" to "help the children"..individual tutors, of course to help children chances are from the worst schools, i bet very few if any tutors will be needed to hlep the students at davidson, johnson, or c. t. walker...gee what maybe because at these three schools parental involvement is MANDATORY. the county would not need to "jessie james" the homeowners again if they would hold the parents responsible for raising their own children, and send the ones who don't want to learn home...........

karmakills123
karmakills123 07/09/08 - 08:06 am

LOL..great cartoon today on

LOL..great cartoon today on the opinion page !!!!!

christian134
christian134 07/09/08 - 08:18 am

A bridge far more in need of

A bridge far more in need of repair and hopefully sooner than later would be the 5th street bridge...That bridge is a disaster waiting to happen...

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 07/09/08 - 08:20 am

Morning everyone. I still

Morning everyone. I still wish I knew this Freeman poster. I've not seen him post yet. Sounds like I'm supposed to be him, NOT. As to PTHS needing help, I think it is the last part of the complaint you didn't mention regarding "other instructional needs" which to me implies perhaps newer text books and materials for the media services. I'm just guessing though. And to Charley Yonce: Yes sir, I know that book well. It's been my friend since childhood and has never let me down. It pays me to know it like I do. Here's a little known factoid: What does blessed really mean? Now off to work.

PTHS2
PTHS2 07/09/08 - 08:30 am

Freeman - I was born at

Freeman - I was born at night, but not last night.

apocpylypsenow
apocpylypsenow 07/09/08 - 08:36 am

What do you expect from

What do you expect from Richmond County Board of Education, exhange one idiot loser (Lark) for another (Bedden). another stage in the the dumb down process. It is not complete yet. Look for problems in local, state, and federal programs and governments and see who is running them. You will find the answer to the problems. Unqualified people in positions of authority. Affirmative action at it's finest.

j2says
j2says 07/09/08 - 08:51 am

The comment from

The comment from apocpylypsenow is so unnecessary. Affrimative action has nothing to do with this. It seems the only idiot loser is you. However, I shouldn't expect much from a person who can't even bother to spell their screen name correctly. The kids in question need extra attention and individual tutors would probably provide them with the attention their parents are unable or unwilling to give. If you don't invest in these kids now you will probably invest in them later when they have to be housed in a correctional institution. Either way your taxes will inevitably be increased. Education is expensive but so is the price of ignorance.

PTHS2
PTHS2 07/09/08 - 09:06 am

The kids in question need a

The kids in question need a two-parent family. That might require a shift in "cultural thinking". I can't help with that. I don't understand.

j2says
j2says 07/09/08 - 09:27 am

There are single parents of

There are single parents of every race. So, no there does not need to be a shift in "cultural thinking" there needs to be a shift in generational thinking.

p-nut_patch
p-nut_patch 07/09/08 - 09:27 am

^5 j2. So many of the

^5 j2. So many of the parents today are overworked. Two income families with no time for helping with homework. We can either invest in our kids now or we WILL invest in them later. In America, our priorities have changed. Family used to mean something. Work ethic used to mean something. Commitment used to mean something. I hate to say it, but it all boils down to "the root of all evil".

Unbelievable
Unbelievable 07/09/08 - 09:27 am

I understand wanting to help

I understand wanting to help the kids in any way possible. However there has to be a time when you just say, 'hey get out and get a job'. There are 20+ year old students at Butler High School that have their own apartments and drive nice cars. When is enough enough? How can you justify sending 15 year olds to school with 20 year olds? Why do school buses run on saturday? When I was in school, if you got in trouble and had 'saturday school' it was your, or your parents, responsibility to get to school. Not the counties. If you didnt make it, you got suspended. Too many absences, you got kicked out. We need to quit babying these 'kids' and hold them accountable for their actions. Oh and the CRCT given during the summer was different, and easier, than the one given during the school year.

p-nut_patch
p-nut_patch 07/09/08 - 09:30 am

Where do you get your

Where do you get your information Unbelievable? I hope there are not any 20 y/o in your schools. That is ridiculous!
Where did you get your CRCT info?

PTHS2
PTHS2 07/09/08 - 09:31 am

j2says - My statement had

j2says - My statement had nothing to do with race. The idea that it's okay for children to conceived out of wedlock for recreational purposes needs to stop. I don't care what shade the skin is.

Unbelievable
Unbelievable 07/09/08 - 09:32 am

P-Nut - I have time to work,

P-Nut - I have time to work, volunteer with the Rec department, help my kids (plural) with their school work and get them off the couch and out of the house. The pool at the Y, BrookField park, go golfing, play baseball and football. There is no greater joy than raising children (especially when they are as good as mine). Some parents are too concerned with 'ME' and less concerned with their children. That is the shift in cultural thinking that needs to take place. Get your old butt off of 'myspace' and spend some time with your kids. (this was not directed at p-nut just an observation that I have made with the growing number of 'adults' who have asked me 'do you have a myspace')

Unbelievable
Unbelievable 07/09/08 - 09:33 am

P-Nut i have a family member

P-Nut i have a family member that works at Butler. You give someone government money as long as they are in school, why would they want to leave?

Unbelievable
Unbelievable 07/09/08 - 09:36 am

I have a neice that failed

I have a neice that failed the 5th grade CRCT by 8 points. When she tested again this summer she said the majority of fractional problems were not there. the ones she had a problem with in the first place. adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing of fractions, something that I could not find in her text book when I was helping her study for the retake.

p-nut_patch
p-nut_patch 07/09/08 - 09:38 am

I agree Unbelievable. I have

I agree Unbelievable. I have three great children. I am also a teacher and see the effects of parents who dropped out of school and took jobs to try to make ends meet. They are unable to help their children because they just don't have the ability or time. Most are single parents. You rarely see a kid from a 2 parent home with great parental support dropping out of school. It happens, but it is rare. I thought the gov't money issue was for college. $ is cut off at 18, unless they are enrolled in college.
Answer about the CRCT please.

p-nut_patch
p-nut_patch 07/09/08 - 09:40 am

Unbelievable. You are taking

Unbelievable. You are taking the word of a 5th grader?? When they first see the test in the gateway grades, they are so nervous and know they won't pass the grade unless they pass the test, regardless of classroom performance. Once they have seen the test, it might seem easier the second go around.

Post exchange construction loses 40 days to winter

The $22 million expansion of Fort Gordon's Post Exchange lost nearly 40 construction days this winter, but the project's manager said Wednesday that the new facility should be ready well ahead of ...