Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

A RANT TO THOSE lying oil companies. The only way you can have record profits is if you are charging way more for your product than it costs to make.

IT JUST PROVES Richmond commissioners are thinking of nobody but themselves when they won't take a reduction in their gas allowance. I guess they feel they are entitled.

A PRANK IS TP'ING a teacher's car. Placing an ad in the yearbook that says "burn the school" is not a prank.

I SEE THE Richmond school board is concerned about budget shortfalls due to having less students register. Seems simple to me: Less students mean you need less budget. There is no need to raise taxes, just downsize your system.

GEORGIA SCHOOL SUPERINTENDENT Kathy Cox gave a "defense of Georgia's" lousy eighth-grade math (and social studies) tests while she "conceded that state officials were to blame ..." How is pleading guilty a "defense"?

CURTIS OSBORNE WAS executed recently for murder. His execution was delayed for about two hours because prison officials could not find a vein. There was never any such problem with hangings or firing squads.

POLICE OFFICERS ARE already underpaid and unappreciated. Why would you make them park their cars? This not only affects them but it also affects their families.

THIS IS A RANT and a recommendation to the Georgia DMV. Why cannot this state require all licensed vehicles to display both rear and front license plates, as many states already do? With the rapidly growing use of surveillance cameras, this would surely aid crime-solving efforts.

I AM NOT AN English teacher, but it was almost painful to read "Tim Russert's heart might have just wore out" as the lead sentence in your editorial. I always urge my grandchildren to read the newspaper. I will amend that request to read it with a red pencil in hand.

PTHS2
PTHS2 06/28/08 - 03:20 am
Good Morning! I hope

Good Morning! I hope everybody has a safe and enjoyable weekend (if those terms are not mutually exclusive)

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 06/28/08 - 03:21 am
Good Morning PTHS!

Good Morning PTHS!

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 06/28/08 - 03:25 am
"The only way you can have

"The only way you can have record profits is if you are charging way more for your product than it costs to make." Partially true, but what about selling MORE of the same product?

PTHS2
PTHS2 06/28/08 - 03:29 am
NLA - I've explained that

NLA - I've explained that profit margin thing so many times that I'm sick of it. That ranter couldn't pass the math CRCT. Forget about the social studies CRCT which includes a snippet or two on global economics. But here is one trivia tidbit for today - The "Big-5" oil companies control approximately 5% of global oil production.

334 New Yorker
334 New Yorker 06/28/08 - 03:42 am
I had worked 19 years for a

I had worked 19 years for a Company that is Union Local 528 and am getting $249.00 a month don't tell me about how good the Union is

Freeman 06/28/08 - 03:47 am
Any statistical 'truth' may

Any statistical 'truth' may be arrived at or contrived from any set of criteria specifically chosen to present the desired results, so PTHS go ahead and 'quote' your stats BS, the bottom line IS the bottom line. Money talks and BS walks. So with record profits, I'd say the message is obvious, despite your statistical reference.

PTHS2
PTHS2 06/28/08 - 03:52 am
Freeman - G'mornin. The

Freeman - G'mornin. The answer is very simple. Global demand is increasing faster than global production. Now, go water your flowers......

Freeman 06/28/08 - 03:58 am
Police or any other civil

Police or any other civil servant at any govt level should have to drive their own vehicle to and from work and buy their own fuel for that vehicle. Having the patrol car home each day is nothing more than a perk that should not be allowed as it encourages an entitlement mentality. LE sometimes take that freedom and abuse it by over-reaching with a sense of power that they think defines the law at any given moment and gives them a carte blanche permit to act as they deem necessary. Often this becomes public and shames the entire profession with unlawful and deadly consequences. Give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile. They aint special, we are all equal under the law.

PTHS2
PTHS2 06/28/08 - 04:00 am
I happen to like having

I happen to like having marked patrol cars parked in my neighborhood. It works better than speed bumps. It's called "visible presence".

Freeman 06/28/08 - 04:05 am
PTHS, remember that markets

PTHS, remember that markets are driven by speculation and oil is based on future prospects, so prices at the pump reflect the anticipated futures of oil delivery six months from now, not at today's costs, or production quotas. When the pump price fluctuates, it's because of speculators driving their influential 'myths' to the international markets propose higher demand than availability based on statistics being presented by economists and their ilk in news releases or in public interviews. Goes back to what I keep saying, media manipulates the bias of their individual investors at the beckoning of the govts who own America and its banks.

Freeman 06/28/08 - 04:09 am
It's also called a waste of

It's also called a waste of taxpayers money to allow state vehicles to be used for personal transport during off time. As far as I know, I never got paid much for driving to and from my job before I got to work or after I left work. SO visible presence means nothing to me. Make everyone equal under the law and quit exempting some few who think they are entitled to perks such as this.

Freeman 06/28/08 - 04:14 am
I'll second that rant about

I'll second that rant about not having front plates required on GA vehicles. It sure does make it harder to drive by a camera and not be ID'd. I wonder what the stats are on this, which states have both plates, does it affect the crime/arrest/conviction rate in those places compared to similar jurisdictions who have only one plate? How many convictions actually come from the identification of a front plate on a vehicle used in crime? Go find me some stats PTHS. I know you can. Will they support the suggestion or not?

PTHS2
PTHS2 06/28/08 - 04:17 am
Freeman - Okay man. I was

Freeman - Okay man. I was merely a Middle Eastern strategic analyst for 20+ years. You were actually a welder in an oil patch. I don't have a job (much less two) since I planned ahead and retired at age 43. I've only been married to my current wife. I'll yield, your experience wins!

PTHS2
PTHS2 06/28/08 - 04:19 am
If I had to put a state

If I had to put a state issued front plate on my car, where would I put my Confederate flag background plate that says "American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God" ?

Freeman 06/28/08 - 04:29 am
So you're retired military,

So you're retired military, figures... living off govt handouts the rest of your life...and you call yourself a Republican...BTW, I'm glad your life is sooo perfect by comparison to mine...why is it then that I seem to rub you the wrong way if my own failures are so blatantly an encumbrance to me having any intelligence or difference of opinion? Over time now I'm beginning to see your true colors and they aren't red, white and blue. You sir are one of the kind who has been deceived his entire life by the military lie and govt training. I pity you and your only wife of so many years. I hope the govt takes good care of you both. And not just an oil field welder, but a roughneck, driller, and geophysical technician who worked for Anardarko, Exxon-Mobil and Kerr-McGee. I also hold a minor in Geophysics, Cultural Anthropology and World History in addition to my degrees in Natural Sciences and Journalism, so please don't patronize me as if I know nothing about anything. It really makes you appear smaller in stature, especially for someone who calls themself a patriot.

PTHS2
PTHS2 06/28/08 - 04:35 am
Have a nice day, Freeman

Have a nice day, Freeman (yawn). Send me a bill for the smiles you gave me this morning. You'd think with all these record profits, the oil companies would be lining up to hire a landscaper with those qualifications.

Freeman 06/28/08 - 04:39 am
The nice thing about having

The nice thing about having had so many jobs in various fields of employment and not settled on one career is that I do have a lots of working experience and can speak directly from it without speculating or using some contrived statistics or news story to support my claims. Plus I haven't had one single purpose POV preached to me my entire professional life, so my opinions are my own, meaning I own them, no one else.

Freeman 06/28/08 - 04:40 am
Kinda figured I was waistin'

Kinda figured I was waistin' my breath on you. Have a blessed day anyway.

Freeman 06/28/08 - 04:44 am
BTW, to your 4:52, it ain't

BTW, to your 4:52, it ain't waterin' day. Dat was yestidy.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/28/08 - 05:25 am
As long as the "news"

As long as the "news" programs keep pushing the "....mean ole oil company" stories, the mindless will continue to ignore reality.

teabag1963
teabag1963 06/28/08 - 05:26 am
ksl, enlighten these dummies

ksl, enlighten these dummies and reveal bigdawgdaddy.we know he's the ultimate loser squeakypete.he's so stupid that he gives hints in every post, how tragic.the paper tries to get rid of him and he keeps coming back.how many email addresses does he have? does he work in a pawn shop using all the stolen computers? what will his next name be when they throw him off again? liberace?rock hudson? clyde tolson? no, that was jedgar hoovers lover,ollie north/ come on pete you're killing us out here,what will your name be this week?oh! i know a good one, loser!

Freeman 06/28/08 - 05:31 am
Patricia, what is the

Patricia, what is the reality? Expound please.

Fire n Ice
Fire n Ice 06/28/08 - 06:13 am
Happy Saturday Angie!

Happy Saturday Angie!

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 06/28/08 - 06:19 am
Fire. Happy Day to you too.

Fire. Happy Day to you too. Life is good.

Freeman 06/28/08 - 06:22 am
PTHS, if I bill you for

PTHS, if I bill you for entertainment, I'll have to charge Hollywood prices, but for a friend I'll just take half your govt subsidy each month and promise to keep you in stitches every morning with my incredulous and mindless banter. Honest, I promise. Hey and then I can't criticize anyone for taking govt handouts cuz I'll be taking half of yours for my comedic episodes each day. Patricia, I'm still awaiting your answer.

Freeman 06/28/08 - 06:29 am
At least when I get paid for

At least when I get paid for my jobs, I know I earned it, instead of taking taxpayer's money for the remainder of my life. BTW, the confederate flag is a moronic icon from a morbid past. Only a true racist would still sport it on their truck and be PROUD of it. Ya'll have a nice day, and if ya see john boy or billy, tell 'em I said "Duh-Huh."

PTHS2
PTHS2 06/28/08 - 06:30 am
Freeman - I'll let somebody

Freeman - I'll let somebody else address the issue of "government handouts" for retired military, public safety/service officers or teachers etc.

sliique
sliique 06/28/08 - 06:31 am
334newyorker...WHAT Union,

334newyorker...WHAT Union, please? Farment Workers or Elevator Operators, for example?

Cops are a longgggg way from underpaid. Still, maybe they should UNIONIZE!

Trouble
Trouble 06/28/08 - 06:40 am
Mornign all

Mornign all

PTHS2
PTHS2 06/28/08 - 06:41 am
Trouble - I've been filling

Trouble - I've been filling in for your namesake. G'mornin

Sickness closes all McDuffie schools

One day after closing Maxwell Elementary School due to excessive absences caused by an outbreak of influenza, strep infection and stomach viruses, the McDuffie County School System has decided to ...