Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

THIS IS A HUGE RAVE for the Marine Mud Challenge. It was a great activity for the children. A special thanks for Tavaris -- aka Mr. T. -- at the last obstacle. He and the others there were really great with the kids!

TO EVENT HOLDERS IN AUGUSTA: Stop robbing people at the concessions and for tickets. You will get more people to come if you make it affordable. A family can't afford to take a family of four because you charge so much.

A RANT FOR COLUMBIA COUNTY schools, you have an enrichment program NOT gifted and if you took the principles of your enrichment program and applied them to teach the children who struggle in school you would find they would excel.

RAVES to the Columbia County Board of Education on the first anniversary of the superintendency of Charlie Nagle who brings to his position a level of integrity unseen there since the retirement of Dr. Don Thornhill, the successor to the legendary John Pierce Blanchard.

THIS IS A RANT to our neighbors on Fairington Drive in Columbia County Co. who let their dogs run loose in the neighborhood. Perhaps you don't realize there is a leash law.

RAVE -- I really appreciate the special education consultants at the Richmond County Board of Education. They are visible in the schools almost daily working with teachers, parents, students and administrators. Despite the job stress, they are always trying to go the "extra mile."

A RANT TO COLUMBIA COUNTY, which should have a search and dive team to do only that when needed, not have to recruit others. We need a group that can be closer to the lake.

RAVE TO MCG 4 West nurses and staff for all their kindness and thoughtfulness.

I WOULD LIKE TO SEND a well-deserved RAVE to the Harlem Baseball Booster Club, I have been umpiring sports for many years and by far these parents have gone above and beyond in today's society to show sportsmanship.

IS CONDOLEEZZA RICE the Secretary of State of Israel? She seems to think she is.

Trouble
Trouble 06/24/08 - 05:25 am
morning all

morning all

sliique
sliique 06/24/08 - 06:11 am
What? When does the daily

What? When does the daily chat start?

JOIN a UNION!

christian134
christian134 06/24/08 - 06:29 am
Good morning all...Stay safe

Good morning all...Stay safe and be careful of the heat today...:-)

PTHS2
PTHS2 06/24/08 - 06:32 am
sliique - Last night the

sliique - Last night the board regulars decided to take your advice and form a union. Now the starting times have been moved back a couple of hours so that nobody gets overly tired.

Waymore
Waymore 06/24/08 - 06:38 am
If we join this Union, how

If we join this Union, how many breaks are we allowed? And can we use any computer, or a are specific brands banned?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/24/08 - 06:41 am
Not only is Condoleezza Rice

Not only is Condoleezza Rice a woman, she's a black woman that doesn't know she's supposed to stay on the Democrat plantation. No wonder racists hate her so much. The rest of us think she's great.

PTHS2
PTHS2 06/24/08 - 06:43 am
Waymore - Good points. Using

Waymore - Good points. Using only US designed and manufactured chips and components might be a challenge..... However, unlimited cups of coffee are allowed while chatting away.

edwarra
edwarra 06/24/08 - 06:45 am
COLUMBIA county has problems?

COLUMBIA county has problems?

Freeman
Freeman 06/24/08 - 06:46 am
To the rant about the dogs

To the rant about the dogs loose in her neighborhood. Get a camera that records date and time. Take a photo each time you see a loose animal and then report it to the animal control, showing them the evidence. If you can identify the owner, animal control can ticket the owner for the photo you have presented as evidence. A few monetary extractions for their lack of respect for the law should get the pets back behind their locked gates or at least put the owners on a leash with them. It worked for me in Richmond Co. Mornin' all.

PTHS2
PTHS2 06/24/08 - 06:46 am
She's baaaaack! G'morning,

She's baaaaack! G'morning, Patricia

Freeman
Freeman 06/24/08 - 06:50 am
As long as Rice don't run for

As long as Rice don't run for president...we don't need no 'Ice Queen' tryin' to run our guvurment.

Fire n Ice
Fire n Ice 06/24/08 - 06:59 am
bon jour angie!

bon jour angie!

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/24/08 - 06:59 am
Good Morning PTHS, just

Good Morning PTHS, just passing through. The world still needs my advice in practice. I hope ya'll have a good day.

kiddspur
kiddspur 06/24/08 - 07:16 am
Good morning patricia -- glad

Good morning patricia -- glad to see you back -- missed you and your posts....

kiddspur
kiddspur 06/24/08 - 07:18 am
sliique -- joined a union 48

sliique -- joined a union 48 years ago and am still with her -- it has had more benefits than you would believe and the dues get to stay at home.....

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 06/24/08 - 07:18 am
bone jour fire!!!!

bone jour fire!!!!

john
john 06/24/08 - 07:21 am
can anyone translate the rant

can anyone translate the rant about the dive team?

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 06/24/08 - 07:21 am
Oh for pete sake. If I ever

Oh for pete sake. If I ever see a dog loose, especially if I saw one loose around Farmington, I would figure somehow the dog got loose. It happens. Usually the owner isn't even home. Hopefully they'll find the dog and take it home. I ain't gonna be walking around with no camera.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 06/24/08 - 07:23 am
It took years to get the

It took years to get the stray pitbulls picked up. I saw them drop a calico cat in the middle of the new neighbor's yard and I had to go get it and bury it, so the new neighbors wouldn't be horrified. I told Animal Control. They did nothing except say that the person who owned the calico cat would be cited for it being loose. I rounded up the dogs twice in an absent landowner's property. They released the two dogs back to their owner both times with no consequences because they said the dogs weren't aggressive to them. I took pictures of the dogs when they dug under my fence and enter my property. Nothing. One Sunday my $1300 dog slipped out the door and the gate while we were leaving for church, we realized it when we returned, the children and I went to look for him and my then husband, just out of the hospital called from the yard. We returned to see my husband leaning on the fence, in tears, we looked across to see the same two pits mauling our tiny dog. He called Animal Control and said if they didn't pick up the dogs this time, he was going to take care of it himself. All of a sudden, the owners claimed they weren't their dogs, although they had claimed them before.

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 06/24/08 - 07:24 am
john. What I gathered from

john. What I gathered from that rant was that maybe they lost a loved
one to a drowning, or knew of someone who did. Just my guess.

john
john 06/24/08 - 07:26 am
Thanks Angie. So CC doesnt

Thanks Angie. So CC doesnt have a dive team and had to call one in to help. Gotcha. Sorry, its early.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 06/24/08 - 07:28 am
That was according to Animal

That was according to Animal Control, I didn't find out who the owners were until the woman of the household yelled at me one day when my dog was on a leash, because it had dropped a poo unnoticed when I was waiting for my children at the busstop. She said, "I know it was you that had Animal Control pick up my dogs." I was confused. I thought they had belonged to someone else. I said, "No, I didn't, the only time Animal Control picked up dogs, my husband called. They had killed our $1300 dog." She shut up then. She realized she'd said too much and might wind up paying for the loss of our dog. After I left, I recalled that quite some time before I had asked her husband to call her dogs out of my yard and reminded him there was a leash law. He said, "they are still in my control." I said, "They are in my fenced in yard, do you send them in my yard on purpose?" He called them back. My husband didn't wish to sue, so I respected that, but they had a lot of nerve complaining about my dog who was ALWAYS secured on a leash or a run after what their dogs did to my other dog. Who died in my arms from his injuries by the way.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 06/24/08 - 07:47 am
A dog charged me while I was

A dog charged me while I was on a walk on Brandywine Drive in Columbia County. The owner, I couldn't tell if the person was male or female, stood in the doorway with arms crossed and said nothing, even though the dog crossed all the way to my side, opposite their house. I said, "Call off your dog!" "It" said, "Why?" I said, "Because I don't know your dog and it is threatening me." "It" said, "So?" I said, "I have a weak heart, I came out for a walk and didn't expect it to turn into a life-threatening experience, CALL OFF YOUR DOG!" "It" said, "NO!" I said, "You do understand that there is a leash law don't you?" (All this time the dog is jumping up toward me, snapping and growling). "It" said, "So!?" I said, "Some people would shoot your dog for doing this." ("It" didn't know I was carrying a weapon, but I didn't want to shoot the dog, it was the OWNER that was in the wrong, anyway.) "It" said, "If you shoot my dog, I'll shoot you." THEN, "it" called off the dog. I don't understand why I was singled out, my children walked there all the time, and never had a problem. I had been assured it was a safe neighborhood by my relatives who lived there. Wrong.

White_Trash1
White_Trash1 06/24/08 - 07:54 am
Good morning everybody

Good morning everybody

griesella
griesella 06/24/08 - 07:55 am
The rant is about the same

The rant is about the same dogs continually being let run loose, not about those who get out without the owners knowledge. The couple next door comes home, lets their 2 mutts out, the mutts head straight for your yard and proceed to take care of business.
........Ho Hum---Another pair of my shoes ruined and put in the trash can.

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 06/24/08 - 07:55 am
john. Not a problem.

john. Not a problem.

Does_it_really_matter
Does_it_really_matter 06/24/08 - 07:55 am
Baroness, does anything

Baroness, does anything positive or good happen in your life? I used to think I had some crappy experiences, but you and Rose both seem to have the market cornered. I'm not being nasty, I truely am wondering.....

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 06/24/08 - 07:57 am
Good mornin possum.

Good mornin possum.

stumpjumper
stumpjumper 06/24/08 - 07:59 am
Unions suck. They actually

Unions suck. They actually take more breaks than they do work and yes, you the consumers are paying for it. Unions helped to build America years ago, but they have gotten out of hand and taking advantage of everyone on the face of the earth. I'd just as soon buy something marked "Made in China" as I had "Union Made". We the consumer get screwed either way.

stumpjumper
stumpjumper 06/24/08 - 07:59 am
Unions suck. They actually

Developer fined by Georgia EPD

The developer of a Grovetown subdivision has been fined by the Georgia Environmental Protection Division for failing to control erosion and other water quality control violations.