Rants and Raves

Comments from our readers.

IF GUNS CAUSE violent crimes, then cars cause accidents, needles cause drug addictions, bottles cause alcoholism and forks are responsible for my pot belly.

COULD SOMEONE TELL ME if it's the agent I have with Child Support Recovery or the local office itself that doesn't push the enforcements it is given?

CONGRATULATIONS, AUGUSTA, on a fantastic Thunder Over Augusta. The exhibits, concert and fireworks were a great tribute to our military heroes. Let this be an annual event.

A GIANT RAVE FOR George Patty, who is the "man behind the curtain." George, who is head of Richmond County planning and zoning and has real history with Augusta problems. Take 10 percent from each commissioner and give it to George as a raise and let him make the decisions. George has good sense.

TROLLEY BUSES? I feel they should run them again. There "were" pockets of times when the buses had a number of passengers, so it was a shame to shut down those buses. And with the change to downtown with new shops and restaurants and the upcoming opening of the former JB White Building, I think it should be run to encourage more touring of downtown.

A RAVE FOR Jeff Kervin Stump & Tree Co. They gave me the best service.

A RANT FOR ALL THE people who get mad when you are asked for ID when using your credit card. You should be glad that we are asking for ID. If you don't want to show your ID, then don't use your card. We do this to protect our business and you also.

A RANT TO PARENTS who allow their children to run around, scream and climb on railings in a restaurant. There are some of us who would enjoy a relaxing meal without the interruption of your out-of-control brats!

I'VE BEEN LEGALLY carrying a pistol every day for about two years. During that time, I have been hassled by panhandlers; bumped, jostled, poked and pushed while standing in lines; been treated rudely by waters, waitresses, cashiers and clerks; and I have not shot anyone. I've accidentally dropped and kicked my gun several times, and moved it from my pocket to my waistband and from my waistband to the console of my car countless times. It has never accidentally discharged. You are safer because I carry my pistol.

God save America
God save America 06/15/08 - 10:04 am
thanks to donnie thompson

thanks to donnie thompson comming up with the thurnder over augustanot the city .when i went to school with him but didn't think he would make this big.

NANF
NANF 06/15/08 - 10:16 am
Trollys downtown are just a

Trollys downtown are just a shiny trinket for the tourist. It won't bring Augustans back down there. Augusta Commission can always find money to impress outsiders. Do something to impress the Augusta tax payers. I remember how downtown used to be and it will never be the same. In some ways that's o k, but the commission has nothing in mind except their own desires. Sad times for Augusta. Get rid of the co. comm. and the arena dummies as well. Untill younger people and people that can think further than their own nose can be seated in those positions, there is no hope to revitalize anything for a positive and permanent change for Augusta

deekster
deekster 06/15/08 - 10:23 am

Thank you LORD for three healthy children and eight grandchildren. Thank you LORD for a father and grandfather who taught me to repsect my Heavenly Father and my fellow human beings.

deekster
deekster 06/15/08 - 10:26 am
Maybe "James H. Drew" could

Maybe "James H. Drew" could place a permanent "carnival" on Broad St. It could be their museum.

karmakills123
karmakills123 06/15/08 - 11:08 am
Sylva Cooper has an

Sylva Cooper has an interesting column today....deserves a read.

dani
dani 06/15/08 - 11:29 am
deekster, We need more like

deekster, We need more like you. God Bless!

battlecataclysmic
battlecataclysmic 06/15/08 - 12:31 pm
Hey, guns are okay and all

Hey, guns are okay and all but... wouldn't it be cooler if everybody learned MARTIAL ARTS instead! That way, when situations arise... INSTANT KUNG FU FLICK!

Seriously though, my problem with being allowed to carry guns is simple: not everyone can be so trusted as the man in the rave. The fact is, power corrupts. And a loaded weapon, to some people, represents power. Honestly, I even shuddered when I read the statement, "You are safer because I carry my pistol". That sounded a little too... gung-ho/vigilante for me. Like "your welfare is in my hands". But, as a Christian, I believe, "The horse is prepared for the day of battle, but safety is of the Lord".

True enough, guns would be great equilizers for individuals. But that's assuming individuals don't begin to ban together--- as if we don't already have a fairly decent gang problem. It's assuming that every gun-toter won't be a disgruntled member of society with a short fuse. It's assuming that we won't be perpetuating the message of "might makes right" to our kids. ...Then again, our country IS kinda founded on "might makes right". So, I guess allowing guns in public would be in-keeping?

jack
jack 06/15/08 - 02:39 pm
I have no patience for people

I have no patience for people who allow kids to run wild in retaurants. I will go and tell them to put the little brats on a leash.

jack
jack 06/15/08 - 02:50 pm
A great Father's Day to all

A great Father's Day to all the good daddy on here. I have three great kids (all successful) and seven wonderful grand kids. Raised my youngest as a single parent-rough going at times, but worth it.

PTHS2
PTHS2 06/15/08 - 03:03 pm
jack - Back at ya! Well done!

jack - Back at ya! Well done! I'm enjoying a very peaceful Father's Day since both of my teens are working as summer camp counselors (in different states).

motivatedinhepzibah

OBAMA 68%
McCAIN 32%

motivatedinhepzibah
motivatedinhepzibah 06/15/08 - 03:15 pm
Blue collar voters McCain

Blue collar voters
McCain really sucks he can't even win the redneck vote. Especially with the south and midwest.
OBAMA 47% McCAIN 41%

Fire n Ice
Fire n Ice 06/15/08 - 03:49 pm
Let it be known from near and

Let it be known from near and far that fire is back and in teh house! mornin to all dads! Afternoon angie!

fyjigmo
fyjigmo 06/15/08 - 03:51 pm
Again, folks, we already have

Again, folks, we already have laws to stop criminals from using guns for nefarious purposes. But, just like everything else (ie: driving w/o a license, insurance, etc.) the laws will be broken. You must not rely on Police to help you, they have no crime prevention purpose. They are just there to take pictures of the mess. Just hope one of the good guys with guns is near and able to help you if the bad guys are trying to kill or rape you. Outlawing guns themselves will not work, for like atom bombs, cell phones and automobiles, they are here to stay for you cannot destroy knowledge of them.

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 06/15/08 - 04:32 pm
fire. Glad you're back in

fire. Glad you're back in "teh" house!! Happy Dad's Day to you.

PTHS2
PTHS2 06/15/08 - 04:33 pm
motivated - It's mid-June,

motivated - It's mid-June, not early-November. No point in nonsensical numbers.

PTHS2
PTHS2 06/15/08 - 04:41 pm
Hey Angie Baby - You can't

Hey Angie Baby - You can't say we never tried.....

kiddspur
kiddspur 06/15/08 - 05:43 pm
Angie, PTHS -- after the

Angie, PTHS -- after the number 1 post today - Traded in my fork for a spoon reckon it will help?

KSL
KSL 06/15/08 - 06:17 pm
I don't know kidd. Any thing

I don't know kidd. Any thing you can pick up with a fork, you can pick up with a spoon plus a heck of lot more things you can't pick up with a fork.

sunnysmiles11
sunnysmiles11 06/15/08 - 06:28 pm
evening all, hope you all had

evening all, hope you all had an opportunity to spend it with your loved ones..

Fire n Ice
Fire n Ice 06/15/08 - 06:58 pm
yes and no, but they called!

yes and no, but they called!

sunnysmiles11
sunnysmiles11 06/15/08 - 07:00 pm
hi fire glad you're back on

hi fire glad you're back on your computer!

kiddspur
kiddspur 06/15/08 - 07:13 pm
kathysue -- you don't went

kathysue -- you don't went and ruined my day, I thought I could improve -- kinda hard to eat ice cream with a fork and I love Wendys' frostys (all in fun) hope you have had a good weekend -- my daughter bought me a mouse for FD at least it wasn't a live one.....

Fire n Ice
Fire n Ice 06/15/08 - 07:14 pm
Hey smiles! good to be back

Hey smiles! good to be back in the CSRA!

KSL
KSL 06/15/08 - 07:24 pm
Yes, kidd, I have. We have.

Yes, kidd, I have. We have. Both of our sons live elsewhere. We had the day to ourselves. My husband has graciously spent most of his working on something I need for my work tomorrow. But, he has done it with a passion as the project fulfils his need to be artistic.

KSL
KSL 06/15/08 - 07:25 pm
Gee, fire, when you can look

Gee, fire, when you can look down at a valley? I don't know about that. I have a special love for "them thar hills."

Fire n Ice
Fire n Ice 06/15/08 - 07:30 pm
When you are able to walk out

When you are able to walk out on your porch and watch the geese land in the neighbors front yard pond down below you!

KSL
KSL 06/15/08 - 07:44 pm
Well you certainly don't want

Well you certainly don't want those geese in your pool! I once knew of someone who had his house for sale. He had a pool in the backyard and the Canada geese took it over. They were quite a problem, especially as they understand the difference in grass and concrete and acted accordingly.

sunnysmiles11
sunnysmiles11 06/15/08 - 07:46 pm
where have you been fire?

where have you been fire?