Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

SO MY DAUGHTER PASSED math all year and then failed the CRCT test by four points and has to go to summer school?

LET'S SEE, THE DEMOCRATS are in the process of choosing between a socialist with communistic leanings and a communist with socialistic leanings. Some choice.

RESIDENT OF HEPHZIBAH HILLS, would you please quit calling the cops on the kids of the neighborhood for such stupid things as riding a little minibike down the road, riding a golf cart down the road, walking across the front of your lawn or bouncing a basketball up the road? They could be doing drugs, drinking, shooting up the neighborhood or fighting in the streets.

SHOULD BE A LAW: Before one becomes a lawyer, goes to an Ivy League school or runs for political office, he or she must serve in the military.

PARENTS, DO YOU really think it's OK to let your middle school daughters dress like mini-adults? Or are you too afraid to correct them? We almost had to cover our eyes at a recent honors program to avoid the R-rated clothes and makeup.

ANOTHER HUGE RAVE for Thunder over Augusta. You could feel the love and compassion given to these soldiers, and they were extremely appreciative. This was the most spectacular family gathering Augusta has ever experienced. Thank you, Mr. Thompson.

RAVE FOR SOME of the citizens of Augusta and Evans for the respect shown during a family members funeral procession on May 17 . It was on Belair Road at approximately 3:30. Almost every vehicle pulled over. ... I haven't seen that kind of consideration and respect in a long time and it was overwhelming.

HOW ABOUT RATHER than lowering the legal drinking age, we raise the age to join the armed forces?

FORGET ABOUT THAT trolley car. Don't spend millions on such a scheme. You need to spend some money and put lights on Broad Street and on the riverfront. It's dangerous for a family of children to go on the riverwalk at night.

Trouble
Trouble 06/03/08 - 05:45 am
Morning all

Morning all

PTHS2
PTHS2 06/03/08 - 05:48 am
G'mornin tjt. How are your

G'mornin tjt. How are your math skills doing today? Are you going to be able to hang out, or do have to head off to summer school? I'm not sure if the lunches will be $1.75 or $2.00, so it's best to plan ahead!

Trouble
Trouble 06/03/08 - 05:52 am
Morning pths, my math skills

Morning pths, my math skills are not the best, i would probably fail the first grade crct, can you help me figure out how many quarters i will need to cover the 2 dollar lunch?

Trouble
Trouble 06/03/08 - 05:53 am
Oh, and it is indeed summer

Oh, and it is indeed summer school for me, they are still trying to teach me how to tie my shoes

PTHS2
PTHS2 06/03/08 - 05:58 am
tjt - No worries! I've heard

tjt - No worries! I've heard tell that free lunches are available if you have no money. But be warned, the green beans may be cold and the portions might be small. Oh yeah, band camp starts at LHS today. With these gas prices, how can I possibly afford to get my child there?!?!?

Trouble
Trouble 06/03/08 - 06:01 am
You could put a child seat on

You could put a child seat on the back of your bike and make said child ride in that to school.......

PTHS2
PTHS2 06/03/08 - 06:02 am
I'm listening to the RCSO

I'm listening to the RCSO scanner feed looking for somebody that can speak Spanish. It reminds me of a joke. How is playing pool like interrogating a hispanic? The harder you hit it, the more English you get. G'morning Hypo, Shivas, RCR and Panther! I'll be waiting......

Trouble
Trouble 06/03/08 - 06:09 am
PTHS, i cant even do the

PTHS, i cant even do the basic math stuff, spanish is waaaaaaaay out of my league, maybe i can take that in summer school next year

Trouble
Trouble 06/03/08 - 06:21 am
It is time for me to head to

It is time for me to head to summer school........hope you all have a good day......

Freeman
Freeman 06/03/08 - 06:58 am
An inferred rant from the

An inferred rant from the rave-er about the correct funeral response showing respect for the loved ones who have passed. Their comment: "I haven't seen that kind of consideration and respect in a long time and it was overwhelming.", Speaks volumes about how many times disrespect is shown and how little most drivers are even aware of a funeral procession in their midst. So I am ranting about all the other times drivers just ignore the law and show such disrespect for others. It's almost like a lot of local drivers got their license out of a box of Cracker-Jacks. They have no idea what it means except they get to put everyone else on high alert while they operate a motor vehicle on public hwys oblivious to any responsibility that accompanies the privilege.

Freeman
Freeman 06/03/08 - 07:00 am
PTHS- still waiting t'hear

PTHS- still waiting t'hear 'bout 'dem dere books.

sliique
sliique 06/03/08 - 07:00 am
Regarding the RESIDENT OF

Regarding the RESIDENT OF HEPHZIBAH HILLS Rant: The first two problems you allude to ARE against the law (and) if inconsiderate parents would TEACH their kids some consideration, these two plus your other two complaints alluded to would NOT be happening. "Resident," IS correct! INCONSIDERATE parents NEED to TEACH their kids some manners and consideration. Those parents wouldn't want some other, unrelated person walking on their well tended yard!

Fire n Ice
Fire n Ice 06/03/08 - 07:01 am
Mornin Angie!

Mornin Angie!

sliique
sliique 06/03/08 - 07:03 am
I questioned the Principal of

I questioned the Principal of the local middle school last year about the clothes being worn by the female students. This very well respected Principal informed me that those types of clothes are just about all that a parent can find to buy. Skimpy, thin, etc.

Freeman
Freeman 06/03/08 - 07:04 am
Free lunches are available to

Free lunches are available to children who reside in a domicile with a food stamp case active. If you are not on the free lunch list and your child has no money in his account or his pocket, a typical PB&J sammich is the only usual alternative based on my experience when I first moved here. There may be differences from school lunch room to another, but I think the policy is statewide, mandated by certain laws. Do yerself and yer child a favor... pack 'em a lunch from home.

Freeman
Freeman 06/03/08 - 07:12 am
Mini-bikes and Go-Karts are

Mini-bikes and Go-Karts are not 'street legal' so yeah, even though you're probably far enough off the beaten path, it's still not legal to operate those on any public thoroughfare. If a kid's just bouncing a ball and it's not late at night, then I say that's okay. If you're in my yard without permission, I'm gonna tell ya to get off it and stay off it. But only because I spend a lot of time working it to make it beautiful and attractive. If my yard looks like a dump site, then I wouldn't have much to complain about then would I? Now if the kids are using the seemingly mundane actions to commit higher crimes, then that would be worth investigating. As for me trying to tell a kid how to enjoy their summer vacation...unless they are causing me extreme discomfort or in blatant violation of major laws, then I say have fun kids, and don't get hurt or hurt anyone. Otherwise, "here is the margin, stay within the lines."

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 06/03/08 - 07:15 am
mornin fire

mornin fire

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 06/03/08 - 07:18 am
It's the law to pull over for

It's the law to pull over for funerals? I'm not originally from here. I never see anyone pull over for a funeral on 1-20 or anywhere in Atlanta. Is it just an Augusta law? Where can this law be found?

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 06/03/08 - 07:18 am
I think it's very rude to

I think it's very rude to walk across some one's yard. I don't care what my yard looks like.

shivas
shivas 06/03/08 - 07:28 am
Yes, I think one should be at

Yes, I think one should be at least 21 before they can join the -out military or be drafted. And, Chill-out Angie about the yard. Were you never a kid. Growing-up in Harrisburg, all the short-cuts were having to cut through several yards, and jump several fences. We also would stop to enjoy a crabapple or plum along the way.

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 06/03/08 - 07:28 am
coalmine. Did someone say it

coalmine. Did someone say it was a "law" to pull over during a funeral?

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 06/03/08 - 07:34 am
PTHS, if you want conflict,

PTHS, if you want conflict, at least do not be so obvious about it. Like I have said before, if putting others down because of race, gender or religion makes you or anyone else happy, then whatever floats your boat.

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 06/03/08 - 07:37 am
No shivas. I was never a

No shivas. I was never a kid. I came straight from my mom full grown. And yes I've taken short cuts through people's yards.
But a lot of kids think it's cute to ride their bike across your lawn for the hel of it, or walk through your yard for the hel of it.
So take your crabapples and prunes or plums whatever and be on your way now.

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 06/03/08 - 07:42 am
PTHS. I love ya man. But

PTHS. I love ya man. But that was kinda uncalled for.

Unbelievable
Unbelievable 06/03/08 - 08:08 am
I think it is funny that the

I think it is funny that the ranter 'almost had to cover' their eyes. So they kept watching anyway. I agree with the CRCT rant, how kids who have As and Bs all year have to go to summer school because of the test. I did read that the practice work and the test focused on differing areas of math. Oh well. Parents will have to get more involved with their children and their school work. Turn off the Nintendo and make sure they are studying.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 06/03/08 - 08:26 am
I'm with sliique on this one.

I'm with sliique on this one. If the kids break the law & you know the parents aren't on the side of the law, call the police, for the sake of the children's safety. IF the kids still don't obey the laws, then if the kids have to be peeled off the pavement because of an accident, you did everything you could to prevent it. Bet the ranter neglected to mention that they were bouncing the basketball after midnight or that the basketball goal was in the street. If I was a kid who knew the neighbors were on night shift, I wouldn't play basketball there, I'd go to a basketball court. I haven't called the law on minibikes or golf carts being used in our neighborhood, because there is very little traffic here & the kids were supervised by adults. I can only recall one incident where a motorist took a turn dangerously fast & was speeding through the neighborhood, running from the law. In my old neighborhood, u would be too vulnerable from speeders, thugs, (some substance abusers & drug traffickers), & roving dangerous dogs, not a good idea to be on a golf cart, minibike or even bicycle. My daughter was chased down by three labs on Ridge Road & bitten on the ankle while riding her bike.

workingmom
workingmom 06/03/08 - 08:27 am
Just a thought...a law

Just a thought...a law student must take years of classes and then has to pass the BAR exam to become a lawyer, a nursing student must pass all classes and then has to take a final test to become an RN....education students take courses for years and then have to pass the Praxis to be hired. Other jobs require some type of final test for certification before becoming certified. Students who pass a class all year long must pass a state mandated test to move on to the next grade. Hmm...

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/03/08 - 08:28 am
Just read that Hillary is

Just read that Hillary is negotiating with Obama to pay off her debts in order for her to drop out and endorse him. Boy, the Clinton's have no shame. Vanity Fair article out on Bill. His former press secretary Dee Dee Myers lowers the boom. I guess the lesson for future Prez, never fire your Press Secretary.

Kaicie
Kaicie 06/03/08 - 08:28 am
Who would take their children

Who would take their children out on Riverwatch at night? I would never be out there with my children at night. I don't care how many lights they put out there.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 06/03/08 - 08:33 am
Sneaky, last time I smelled

Sneaky, last time I smelled something bad in the old neighborhood, the new homeowner next door eventually found out that someone had been dumping dead pitbulls in a dense stand of woods inbetween his house and the backyard behind his. There were four complete found. Same thing happened at the nearby holding pound. It had been stinking for weeks. I lived nearly a block away and couldn't believe no one else had checked into the smell. The officer that responded was fairly new, and he asked me to walk up to see what it was, after he turned pale, wobbled a bit, and said, "That does seem like it must be something big." So I had mercy on him, turned took a deep breath, turned back and checked it out. He sure was relieved when I told him it was an over 100 pound pitbull and not a person. He did call animal control for me at least. When they pulled the dog over the fence, the fence broke. Had to make another call about that. So I don't know if you were pulling our legs with that story about what was found after some grass was cut, but sometimes truth is stranger than fiction, especially here in 30906.

Former commissioner's case remains under review

While former Augusta commissioner Donnie Smith's statements to Georgia State Patrol investigators likely can't be used against him, the state Office of the Inspector General continues to conduct ...