Rants and raves

Comments from our readers.

I SUGGEST THAT THOSE of you, including The Chronicle's editorial writers, who are obsessed with trashing Jimmy Carter, try attending one of his very popular Sunday school classes, and also look at the Carter Center Web site. You might gain some appreciation of Mr. Carter's efforts to make the world a better place.

MY WIFE AND I recently drove to River Watch Park to walk one evening. The park is an embarrassment with the horrible landscaping or lack of, garbage overflowing around the playground, lights out etc... We have so little in the Garden City, and what we do have is neglected. What really angers me is that we seem to afford a $25 million dollar tax break for Bass Pro Shop to come to a new mall that we don't need but we can't take care of a small humble park ... not even empty the trash!

I SPENT 33 YEARS with Shell Oil in marketing. During that time, we elected to forego ethanol-based gasoline for numerous reasons, ie. alcohol increases water related engine problems, gas mileage suffers from 3 to 5 percent (dependent on the percent of ethanol). Our PRIMARY reason for avoiding corn-based ethanol was that it's morally wrong to use food for fuel.

TO ALL MY STUDENTS AT CMS, I'd like to say thanks for being such a wonderful bunch of kids!

ANY CHURCH THAT HAS A lobbyist going to Atlanta to influence our lawmakers should forfeit its tax-exempt status.

AMERICA IS SPOILED BEYOND BELIEF. Story about a family who will now eat out only once a week. Fifty years ago, a typical American family ate out maybe four or five times a year.

A RAVE FOR Dr. Stephen Schmidt and the staff of Family Practice of Evans. I have never met such a wonderful and caring group of people!

A RANT FOR EVERYONE who calls law enforcement officers "heroes." They are not heroes for doing their job. That's right. It's just a job, not a calling. It has its good moments and bad times but they knew what the pay was when they signed on and were trained at taxpayer expense. I personally would rather handle my own problems myself, and a lot of the cops feel that way too, even if they won't say so.

nonumberplease
nonumberplease 05/23/08 - 04:22 am
Jimmy Carter was one of the

Jimmy Carter was one of the worst presidents to ever sit in the
white house. He was totally lost in that position.

edwarra
edwarra 05/23/08 - 05:12 am
isnt food a fuel for the

isnt food a fuel for the body?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/23/08 - 05:12 am
Carter's idea of a better

Carter's idea of a better place and my idea of a better place seem to be similar. The path to get there is where we disagree 100% of the time. Personally, I'll be glad when the doddering old fool reaches a state of quiet solitude.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/23/08 - 05:14 am
I agree with the Riverwalk

I agree with the Riverwalk comment. The area should be maintained in pristine condition at all times. It's the centerpiece of what we're trying to accomplish in Augusta.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/23/08 - 05:22 am
Who would choose to be a cop?

Who would choose to be a cop? It's a dangerous, thankless job that often brings personal problems to the cops life. The pay isn't great and the hours are often lousy. I wouldn't choose the lifestyle, but I'm very grateful for those that do. The alternative to having police is anarchy, disorganization, and a lack of opportunity for community growth. Do the police receive a lot of criticism? Sure, it's the nature of the job, but where would we be without them?

sliique
sliique 05/23/08 - 05:27 am
"Who would choose to be a

"Who would choose to be a cop?"

Well, it is pretty obvious that (MOST), are control freaks. They get a gun and a badge and (think) they're THE BOSS and ABOVE ANY law. Case in point: Ever notice on those TV shows where real-time incidents are filmed, EVERY time any of those overzealous cops even BEGIN to exhibit any brutality, the camera pans away?

tjtrouble
tjtrouble 05/23/08 - 05:38 am
Jimmy Carter might be a

Jimmy Carter might be a wonderful sunday school teacher, but he still sucks as a politician, and he needs to go back to teaching sunday schoiol

NANF
NANF 05/23/08 - 05:44 am
Please explain to me the " it

Please explain to me the " it is morally wrong to use food for fuel" Is that some off the wall religion, or maybe 'ya just got up too early and are not thinking straight. Go get a cup of coffee and come back and explain the " morally wrong". Please?

tjtrouble
tjtrouble 05/23/08 - 05:47 am
nanf, it is morally wrong by

nanf, it is morally wrong by oil company standards, just except it, dont try to understand it, it will make your head hurt.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/23/08 - 05:57 am
NANF, taking food from a

NANF, taking food from a starving child and converting it to fuel so a politician can get some votes could be considered morally wrong.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/23/08 - 06:01 am
Hooray!!! Georgia schools get

Hooray!!! Georgia schools get out today and Carolina schools in the next two weeks. At last, the roads will be extra interesting to navigate for another 90 day period.

tjtrouble
tjtrouble 05/23/08 - 06:10 am
Ok PT, pass the asprin, you

Ok PT, pass the asprin, you have made my head hurt twice......

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/23/08 - 06:25 am
shivas, did you see the

shivas, did you see the t-shirt with Obama wearing mickey mouse ears? Black, racist ears.

PTHS2
PTHS2 05/23/08 - 06:28 am
Flash Gordon is back at it -

Flash Gordon is back at it - I'll wager some doughnuts that this one gets some promotion since it's his own money and not RCCA's taxpayer funds. Augusta's First Annual Blues Festival and Comedy Jam June 21 Augusta Fairgrounds Tickets $25 Available at: Pyramid Music Household Rentals and Sales Club 3000 Or Call 706-399-3714 Headliners: Clarence Carter Marvin Sease Roy C. Mel Waiters Benny Lattimore TP Hearns of BET Comic View

justputtin
justputtin 05/23/08 - 06:30 am
Jimmy Carter was a nice,

Jimmy Carter was a nice, extremely intelligent man. A horrible, non-productive president, but very nice. He and Billy were an embarrassment to fellow Georgians. Peanuts anyone?

areyoukidding
areyoukidding 05/23/08 - 06:34 am
50 years ago we didn't have

50 years ago we didn't have as many families with both the mother and the father working. Going out to eat is sometimes about necessity instead of being "spoiled."

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/23/08 - 06:34 am
Billy did add humor to the

Billy did add humor to the Carter era. Does anyone still have a Billy Beer?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/23/08 - 06:36 am
areyoukidding, are you

areyoukidding, are you kidding?

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 05/23/08 - 06:42 am
You'll never hear me say that

You'll never hear me say that cops are heroes. I agree with that last rant.

LadyCisback
LadyCisback 05/23/08 - 06:43 am
you people are ridiculous

you people are ridiculous this morning!!!.. can somebody please bring some validity to these rants... Let's focus on the real subjects that deserve a rants such as education, augusta commisioners and their lack of knowledge and such.. etc....

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 05/23/08 - 06:46 am
I'd have to agree with

I'd have to agree with sliigue

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 05/23/08 - 06:52 am
There are good and bad

There are good and bad "anything" in the job world. I've met some very nice helpful cops. But I can tell you the majority are cocky, sometimes out of line, and abuse their authority. And they'll get away with it. Because they're a cop. Ya'll have a good one.

Fire n Ice
Fire n Ice 05/23/08 - 07:00 am
Mornin' Angie!

Mornin' Angie!

amazed1
amazed1 05/23/08 - 07:10 am
I have a Billy Beer can

I have a Billy Beer can

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 05/23/08 - 07:18 am
Yep, 50 years ago many

Yep, 50 years ago many cultural ways were just NOT acceptable. No gay marriage rights, no going out to eat cause people were working their shirts off and barely making ends meet (nothing changed that much huh) and we were just coming out of an era of a downed economic problem. No space ships going up, nylons had not been invented yet, and fashions were definitely NOT what they are today! 50 years ago, I would not have been born yet, so I am happy with living TODAY!

PTHS2
PTHS2 05/23/08 - 07:21 am
DE2 - oh nevermind, was 50

DE2 - oh nevermind, was 50 years a typo? (That would be 1958). Didn't you ever watch Happy Days on TV?

workingmom
workingmom 05/23/08 - 07:29 am
LadyC, I agree! Thank

LadyC, I agree! Thank goodness for summer vacation for students and educators!! Although for many teachers, summer is not a vacation, it's a break from the regular work week to take classes. For some students, they will be in class as well. Hopefully the confusion about testing can be cleared up soon. Just enjoy the time off from the daily routines!

lezniack01
lezniack01 05/23/08 - 07:29 am
Anybody want to know whats

Anybody want to know whats really wrong with the public school system?Go here. www.notonthetest.com

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 05/23/08 - 07:29 am
Hi Fire. Are you having a

Hi Fire. Are you having a good day thus far?

PTHS2
PTHS2 05/23/08 - 07:32 am
lezniack - Just read many of

lezniack - Just read many of the posts in here, you'll see how well history, economics and basic social stuidies/political science are taught in government schools. We don't need no stinkin' website. ;-)

Paine plans furloughs, salary cuts, layoffs

Paine College President George C. Bradley on Friday announced the college will implement furlough days, salary reductions and layoffs to save $2.4 million over the next fiscal year.