Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

DID ANYONE STOP to think the reason the turnout was so poor at the James Brown birthday bash is because all the weathermen were predicting rain, which never came to pass?

HOW CAN COLUMBIA COUNTY deputies pull people over for running yellow lights and I've watched Columbia County deputies run red lights and almost cause accidents?

WHY ARE THERE so many burned-out lights at the Augusta Riverwalk? This is unsafe especially at night when you are walking your children.

THE IDEA OF CUTTING down those trees in Edgefield is a horror. In an age where air pollution demands more trees be planted, the idea of cutting such air producers for air polluters is an anathema.

I SWEAR I BELIEVE my neighbor's dog can predict the weather better than the weatherman. I missed another golf time. Next weekend I'll ask my neighbor's dog to predict the weather.

A BIG RAVE to Jamie and Nick with McCutcheon Heating and Air, who stopped to help us with a flat tire.

A RAVE FOR THE manager of the Home Depot in Evans. He and his wife were driving out of the parking lot when he saw I had a flat (tire) on my truck. He stopped and offered to change my tire. My big wrench would not fit my lugs so he called two of his employees in Home Depot bring a compressor and inflate my tire and drive me to a place to get my tire fixed. Thank God for such nice people.

THANKS SO MUCH to St. Augustine's Episcopal Church for a superb first-year "Augusta Antique Show." What a treat. I will look forward to this event next year.

I DON'T LIKE the way people are speaking about Congressman Broun. People showed their support for him by voting for him and they can do it again. I will campaign all over Harlem for him.

A RANT TO THE Hephzibah Post Office. I have filled out the yellow form to hold mail, called the 800 number and filled out the forms on the Web site. To no avail. They either deliver the mail anyway, or don't deliver the mail on the resume date.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/14/08 - 05:09 am
Yes, the burned out lights on

Yes, the burned out lights on the Riverwalk are especially dangerous at night. They're hardly noticeable during the day.

PTHS2
PTHS2 05/14/08 - 05:09 am
G'morning all - I still want

G'morning all - I still want that t-shirt for my collection.

PTHS2
PTHS2 05/14/08 - 05:10 am
PT - LOL - You go girl!

PT - LOL - You go girl!

rbk
rbk 05/14/08 - 05:12 am
This is a rant against Barry

This is a rant against Barry Fleming and the people who keep fussing that Congressman Paul Broun is not from Augusta and won’t represent us fairly. If Barry Fleming is voted in, the people of Athens could say the same thing. I was quite upset when Charlie Norwood became ill and passed, I wondered how we would do without him. I was impressed with Paul Broun when he ran against Jim Whitehead and I voted for Paul.
I have not been disappointed, I think he is doing a great job. The point is that whomever we put in, has to be from some place, but he must represent all of his district fairly.
I have seen complaints about him wasting tax dollars on mailings & phone conferences. The mailings are one of the perks (called “Franking”) of being in the congress or senate and I guess our tax dollars do pay for it. However I like being kept informed and Charlie Norwood used to send them to me too. As for the phone conferencing, I would think that that is paid from campaign funds rather than taxes. Maybe some one in the know could clear that up for us.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/14/08 - 05:46 am
PTHS, I saw the t-shirt on

PTHS, I saw the t-shirt on line. Not for sale, just pictured. It's pretty innocuous. It's nowhere near as insulting as the GW as a monkey t-shirt.

PTHS2
PTHS2 05/14/08 - 05:51 am
PT - I know. I really like

PT - I know. I really like the unusual ones. For example, I have a 100th anniversay of Athens (Greece) Olympics. 1896-1996. Which is all well and good, but Athens didn't get the 1996 Olympics..... And to answer KSL's question from yesterday. I use those big plastic bins you can buy at WalMart to store them. I just stack them up and put a colorful sheet over them and pretend I've decorated.

PTHS2
PTHS2 05/14/08 - 05:55 am
PT - I'm not trying to get

PT - I'm not trying to get into a debate over whether the shirt is tasteless or not, that's a decision each can make for themselves. I'm miffed about a post being pulled that was only describing what was discussed on local radio and printed in a MAJOR newspaper.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/14/08 - 05:57 am
PTHS, if you're miffed over

PTHS, if you're miffed over that little bit of censorship, wait until the left gets hold of talk radio. The downward spiral will really get going. The weak message really makes them defensive.

shivas
shivas 05/14/08 - 06:32 am
Yes patriciathomas, I hear

Yes patriciathomas, I hear the next t-shirt will be of jews sticking their head in a brand new gas oven. Nice and innoccuous as you say. It is that type of attitude that will expose the far-right and their true racist agenda. Please keep defending this racism as oversensitivity. Most Americans see it for what it is.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/14/08 - 06:38 am
I didn't say any of that

I didn't say any of that shivas. Once again you have to create a fantasy and attribute it to me so you can object to your own creation. Strange behavior.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/14/08 - 06:42 am
Political stickers, posters

Political stickers, posters and t-shirts have been around for a long time. If they're against your opponent, they're less then flattering. I reiterate, BO and his supporters will use every chance to cry racist. He'll not help his cause with this tedious whine.

daMan
daMan 05/14/08 - 06:48 am
Shivas, Let's expose the true

Shivas, Let's expose the true racist: Jeremiah Wright and Obama!

shivas
shivas 05/14/08 - 06:56 am
Please tell me how I misread

Please tell me how I misread your comment. If it's so innocuos maybe you should wear one around town. I am sure your children would be proud of you. Why is it so hard to say what this t-shirt truly is?

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 05/14/08 - 06:56 am
A big thank you to my brother

A big thank you to my brother who came over yesterday and helped me with my flat tire. (no seriously) What took you so damn long? (giggle) Have a good one every one.:)

NEone
NEone 05/14/08 - 06:56 am
Nothin beats my "Hilary's

Nothin beats my "Hilary's Bosnia Sniper Fire Tour" t-shirt.

shivas
shivas 05/14/08 - 06:59 am
daman, Obama has publicly

daman, Obama has publicly disavowed the statements from Jeremiah=Wright. What has Obama said that makes him racist? See, that's how the far-right will make this election racist. The fringe will begin a racist campaign like the tee-shirt business. You'll see racist pamphlets. The far right will call them harmelss and innoculous, and say it is just liberals being oversensitive. That will be a good thing though, because the rest of the country understands what this is, and it will expose those in support of racist attitudes. It just kills the far-right whenever there is a successful African-American on a national stage. That's OK, y'all do have a future in the tee-shirt business. That is, if you sell only in Augusta, GA.

PTHS2
PTHS2 05/14/08 - 07:00 am
shivas - If it makes you feel

shivas - If it makes you feel any better, I feel the same about "X" caps. Makes a nice aim point though.

LadyCisback
LadyCisback 05/14/08 - 07:00 am
Good Morning.. you people are

Good Morning.. you people are so calm today.. what's going on??

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/14/08 - 07:03 am
Shivas, the twelve year old

Shivas, the twelve year old that initially mentioned the resemblance to Curious George was making an observation that related to his ears. I noticed you never whined about the GW as a monkey t-shirts that have been out for 8 years. Finding offense during a political campaign is easy, apparently so is the "racist" whine. It will do BO no good to continue this tedious cry. We'll have to see how well it works for him and his supporters.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/14/08 - 07:07 am
Shivas, if BO makes this race

Shivas, if BO makes this race about race (as you do in your 6:59 post) he'll have support from about 13% of the country. Do you really thinks that's a smart approach? Denying being oversensitive doesn't mean you aren't. I'll bet you won't let your children go to Monkey Joe's.

shivas
shivas 05/14/08 - 07:08 am
I do not hear him making

I do not hear him making cries. patriciathomas, your defense of this, knowing you are an intelligent person, is very telling about the right-wing. When you know the truth and continue to deny it, well that just shows how narrow your thinking has become. As for GW as monkey; I think it's tasteless, but certainly not racist. When the white establishment used as an argument that blacks should be slaves because they descended from monkies rather than humans, it makes this tee-shirt more disgusting and racist. But really, please get one for yourself, and take your kids out to eat in it. I'm sure they will be proud.

PTHS2
PTHS2 05/14/08 - 07:09 am
PT - Thanks for picking up my

PT - Thanks for picking up my light work. Have a great day! A RAVE to the weather that God has blessed us with today.

lady_alessandra
lady_alessandra 05/14/08 - 07:14 am
About the low attendance at

About the low attendance at the James Brown event - there were plenty of other things going on that day that other people went to

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/14/08 - 07:16 am
Shivas, I have no problem

Shivas, I have no problem with the t-shirt. It's political season and anything goes. The Darwin trials legitimized the monkey theory to the point it's taught in our schools. The slaves were bought from their "brothers"....etc ad nauseam. Over sensitive will just get you picked on.

daMan
daMan 05/14/08 - 07:22 am
Shivas, Poor African-American

Shivas, Poor African-American on a national stage... we shouldn't be so tough on him. Don't hold him accountable for his words and actions. He is ENTITLED to an AFFIRMATIVE ACTION pass.Keep supporting the LEFT. You must be happy with what they have done for you so far.

DoubleD
DoubleD 05/14/08 - 07:39 am
PTHS, check out the comments

PTHS, check out the comments on "Across the area"

sneaky pete
sneaky pete 05/14/08 - 07:39 am
I think there was low

I think there was low attendance for the James Brown Day because, as usual, nobody knew it was going on. Somewhere between booking a concert and closing it down, somebody needs to promote it. As far as the BO shirt goes, get over yourselves left wingnuts. Every day, we are bombarded with night show hosts and the idiot maher bashing bush as if it were an Olympic event. If a shirt bothers BO, he is not ready to run the US. Of course, some of us knew that already. And, you shiver, would vote for a twelve toed pigeon if it were a dimocrat.

Jillian
Jillian 05/14/08 - 07:44 am
About the bday bash for

About the bday bash for Brown...I'm sure there was at least one kid of his per candle to blow out right.

DoubleD
DoubleD 05/14/08 - 07:52 am
PTHS Come back, I'm trying

PTHS Come back, I'm trying this new spincast rod today.

CSRAider
CSRAider 05/14/08 - 07:56 am
Augusta is fickle when it

Augusta is fickle when it comes to events. Outside promoters know this also. Outsiders have gotten to the point that its not worth the hassle of a racial issue or political bruhaha or both. Motto run the other way and take your money with you. I applaud anyone willing to go ahead and have a musical, art or local event in this area .