Rants and Raves

Comments from our readers.

TO THE INDIVIDUALS WHO shot at my house: I hope you realize that your fun turned into a felony when you narrowly missed killing my 79-year-old mother. You have terrified my innocent family.

APPARENTLY EXPERTS CONCLUDE a four-day school week is good because it will save money -- even though the money could be saved from cutting back in a zillion places. Following their logic, we could save ALL school money by closing the schools completely.

THIS IS AN INVITATION to Mr. Marion Williams to move to Blythe. We really could use him as our mayor. Our government and we need you, Mr. Williams. Thanks.

MICHAEL WHITE IS A WONDERFUL weather man. Bob Smith is hard to replace but Michael White can replace him.

A RAVE FOR all the floor nurses on 5 West. We are very blessed and thankful for these nurses from Doctors Hospital.

THANKS TO THE PERSON who turned in my American Express card that I lost at BiLo on Peach Orchard Road. God bless you.

RANT FOR THE PERSON complaining about the Evans tag office religious messages. God forbid they should have any sort of positive messages on the desk. Oops. Did I say God? I'm sorry.

A RANT FOR NORTH AUGUSTA City Council, fixing to pass an ordinance against smokers in the area. They should good go ahead and pass one and then not enforce it like we do the rest of the ordinances in North Augusta.

HOW COME A local vinyl siding company has their office in a metal-sided building?

I LOVE THE QUICK-COOKING recipes that come out in the Wednesday paper by Karin, but I wish that they would be more healthy recipes. It seems like they have a good bit of fat in them.

RE: FOUR-DAY SCHOOL WEEK. I think a school's purpose is education, it's not child care.

wavelandtransplant
wavelandtransplant 05/11/08 - 11:59 pm
No rant, no rave, just a

No rant, no rave, just a question. I remember a mail order company I used to order from in the late 60's early 70"s called " National Bellas Hess ", or so my memory tells me. Am I right?

wootchieone
wootchieone 05/12/08 - 02:30 am
You are right. I think they

You are right. I think they had tax problems and were forced to close.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/12/08 - 05:02 am
Marion Williams move to

Marion Williams move to Blythe. There's got to be a punch line in there somewhere.

tjtrouble
tjtrouble 05/12/08 - 05:03 am
Marion Williams moving to

Marion Williams moving to blyth sounds like a great idea to me. then he would not be bothering us anymore......

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 05/12/08 - 05:08 am
National Bellas is still open

National Bellas is still open but they only do business in Kansas I think.

Martinez
Martinez 05/12/08 - 05:20 am
4 day week for schools

4 day week for schools reduces operational costs, including employees paid daily rates like substitutes and some other contractors. Logistically it would save on electric, water, transportation costs (gas guzzling buses). It would also cut down on the expense of providing school breakfasts and lunch (although federally subsidized, schools to pay the difference). I don't see it happening here but it does have some financial advantages.

Martinez
Martinez 05/12/08 - 05:22 am
On another note about 4 day

On another note about 4 day week schools, the districts that have done it have changed the school year from 36 weeks to 45 to accomodate the 180 day rule. This has helped improve test scores since students don't have as long to "forget" what they learned during a 2 1/2 month summer break.

workingmom
workingmom 05/12/08 - 06:03 am
Everyone seems to have an

Everyone seems to have an opinion about the school situation. I think research and studies should be carefully studied and then a decision should be made based on the findings. You can't make everyone happy. There are always going to be people who think what is best for them MUST be the way things should be for all. You have to be able to step out of the box sometimes to solve problems and look at what is best for the children and the system as a whole.

createyourfuture
createyourfuture 05/12/08 - 06:04 am
What if we did that and had

What if we did that and had four 10 hour work days? A three day weekend with your children(or pick one) is what America needs. The logistics for that is formidable.

rbk
rbk 05/12/08 - 06:04 am
Martinez, thanks for

Martinez, thanks for enlightening me about the removal of posted remarks on this forum. I’m new at this and when my post disappeared, I was not notified that it was removed, but I just assumed that it had been. I know that sometimes there are computer glitches and I guess that is what happened. I know that I am very opinionated and will rub many people the wrong way, but I do respect others right to their opinion and hope they will do the same for me. I am a staunch conservative, (note I didn’t say republican, I vote for the man, not the party). However, I have a hard time understanding how anyone can be a conservative and stay affiliated with the liberal Democratic Party & the likes of Hillary Clinton, Ted Kennedy, Barack Obama, Nancy Pelosie, and Barbara Boxer among others.

Freeman
Freeman 05/12/08 - 06:28 am
CYFuture, your 4-day work

CYFuture, your 4-day work week is a great idea, but who's gonna be working those shifts on Fri-Sat-Sun if everyone goes to the 4/10 hr days... even rotating those shifts means some kids will be out of school will no parental supervision... we need a better plan than this...

Freeman
Freeman 05/12/08 - 06:36 am
Okay, I have not spoken out

Okay, I have not spoken out about those 'God' messages in an office located within a 'government' building... isn't church and state being separated a constitutional given? Need any more be said? I support anyone who wants to cheer another or give 'em encouraging words, but remember you represent a government something or someone or you wouldn't be working in a gov't bldg. so try and part company with 'msgs' and uphold the laws that pay your salary... Don't use your office to display your faith, let your faith do its work by setting the best example, and spend your 'off' time sharing your messages as it should be.. It would show submission to authority in the proper context, and not say "rebel" every time someone reads your 'signposts' where they are not supposed to be...

Freeman
Freeman 05/12/08 - 06:40 am
I am glad the 79-yr-old mom

I am glad the 79-yr-old mom was not hurt...to the perp I say, you need a spanking your mother should have given you a long time ago...shame on you for making someone's Mother's Day a horrible memory.... I hope they catch you and throw the book at you among other things.... It's a "Dangerfield' world folks, ain't nobody gettin' no respect!

PTHS2
PTHS2 05/12/08 - 06:40 am
"Seperation" of Church and

"Seperation" of Church and State exists no where in the US Constitution. It states "Freedom of Religion" not "Freedom from Religion". Look it up, poseur.

PTHS2
PTHS2 05/12/08 - 06:42 am
Then go ahead and re-read the

Then go ahead and re-read the 1st Ammendment and decide what signs individuals may display.

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 05/12/08 - 06:43 am
On a lighter note. This

On a lighter note. This might very well be the best damn cup of coffee I've ever made): mmmmmm. Now gotta go get my four year old up and out of bed and kiss on his little cheeks 5 thousand more times. Have a goodin.:)

Freeman
Freeman 05/12/08 - 06:44 am
As for the vinyl siding

As for the vinyl siding company working out of a metal-sided building, you should probably post that question to the NBC "good question" folks... maybe they're just leasing the building...It is a 'cute' question though.

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 05/12/08 - 06:50 am
LOL! Freeman. Spanking?? I

LOL! Freeman. Spanking?? I know it's not funny Freeman. I just have this visualization going on in my mind of you standing there with your hand on your hip shaking your finger at this person. Bit-- slapped would be more like it.

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 05/12/08 - 06:51 am
ok. now i'm really outta

ok. now i'm really outta here...

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 05/12/08 - 06:52 am
bye:)

bye:)

Freeman
Freeman 05/12/08 - 06:54 am
PTHS, Good morning...I stand

PTHS, Good morning...I stand corrected... I did look it up and now know the origins of the statement...must be my southern baptist upbringing that had that indoctrinated into my thinking... (reminder to self) ...must purge all nonsense and remember to make my statements accurately better next time... thanks for the correction and for helping others who have the same wrong thinking to see their error.... I'm not kidding... I like being corrected publicly and errors being set straight...it makes for better discussion by eliminating false logic and improves the quality of the debate(s).

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 05/12/08 - 06:55 am
Oh my gosh. I can't move.

Oh my gosh. I can't move. My fingers are typing uncontrollably, I'm breaking out in a sweat I can't get up from this chair. Some one help me. I've got rants and raves syndrome. just kiddin. bye. (giggle, giggle)

PTHS2
PTHS2 05/12/08 - 07:04 am
Freeman - Thanks man, I just

Freeman - Thanks man, I just hate to leave erroneous statements lying around in a public forum. That's what ran me afoul of Rose when she was posting garbage and insisting it was true even after being politely (intially) corrected.

Freeman
Freeman 05/12/08 - 07:10 am
Angie, the shooting incident

Angie, the shooting incident is really not a laughing matter, and I only said what I did because we all repeatedly state in these forums that discipline begins at home, and discipline is not something anyone wants...we all want to be wild and free... but someone failed to discipline the 'shooter' early on in that life and now they act without a sense of any consequence being attached to their actions, putting innocent grandmas in jeopardy... so perhaps a spanking when the perp was a little child would have been a step to correcting this behavior before it ever came to this... this is how I meant my statement to be understood... I was trying not to have to elaborate and begin a Monday with boring drivel being part of my postings...

Freeman
Freeman 05/12/08 - 07:18 am
A quick hop to Wikipedia

A quick hop to Wikipedia would have kept my post true-er... it is true that Jefferson is attributed with the phrase, and it is also true that the line is not clear about 'religious displays' as can also be found among the Wik article, so it is a question that state governments can deal with. It did not seem to be worthy of the Supreme Court hearing its argument concerning an Alabama Court justice and his monument to the "Ten Commandments'... in the end, the question and how the local government deals with the objections regarding the displays..is still an open-ended question.

PTHS2
PTHS2 05/12/08 - 07:27 am
I'm not in the mood to teach

I'm not in the mood to teach a lesson in Constitutional Law this morning. But, our founding fathers were trying to avoid the oppressive enviornment that existed in England at the time. To wit: The Church of England being the "ruling party". I believe their intent was to allow each individual to worship (or not) as they saw fit. Again, the document was crafted to preserve rights, not limit them, except for issues that affect public safety or liberty or the pursuit of happiness. Yes, my leanings are Libertarian. It's a good discussion, I just don't want to bore everybody in here to distraction with it.

Freeman
Freeman 05/12/08 - 07:43 am
Yes PTHS, correct again, and

Yes PTHS, correct again, and England is still the only place where the monarch is church governor as well.
Who is Michael White and what has Bob Smith done to be replaced? I don't understand the comment.

griesella
griesella 05/12/08 - 08:17 am
The AC has a reprint from the

The AC has a reprint from the Sunday edition from fire-n-ice asking about Barbara Bush. It appears he doesn't like her for some odd reason. Barbara is the quieter of the twins and shuns the spotlight. After graduating from Yale where she studied humanities, she has worked with Aids in Africa and at the Smithsonian Institute. This is an abbreviated answer, but I doubt that you care; you only wanted to make a "nasty". (BTW She had her own apartment in Greenwich Village)

griesella
griesella 05/12/08 - 08:22 am
Given The age of perps in

Given The age of perps in current times the shooter could well have been a child small enough for a spanking.

sunshine1
sunshine1 05/12/08 - 08:25 am
On the subject of 4 day

On the subject of 4 day school days. When I was in highschool, they had to shut down one of the highschools for money reasons. We went to split sessions. 6am to noon A-l, and noon to 6pm M-Z it worked out great and saved the school extra money in the long run. They could do that.

New SafeHomes facility breaks ground

SafeHomes of Augusta broke ground Thursday on a larger facility that will allow the nonprofit agency to house more than twice the number of clients than its current shelter can hold.