Rants and raves

Comments from our readers.

A RANT TO Barry Fleming for his ignorance about franked mail. In other places in the U.S., some congressmen actually try to keep their constituents informed like Dr. Broun.

"GOV. PERDUE STANDS behind Ms. Abraham saying she's the right person to straighten out the department (Georgia DOT)." How long has Perdue been in office, and why has it taken him so long to "straighten out" what he must have known needed straightening out? Come on, Perdue. You keep giving yourself away.

A RANT TO the Richmond school board for purchasing GPS systems for the buses. I'd think new buses with air conditioning and proper heating would be more important than GPS systems

A RAVE FOR SHERRY at Brickle's Dry Cleaners in Evans. I see her weekly in the drive-through and she always remembers my name and greets me with a smile.

RAVE TO ALL the media coverage of the Coach A.L. Williams Day program. He is a true legend . We love you, Coach. Your BOYS.

A RAVE FOR DR. BROUN, who keeps us informed via mail and virtual town meetings. St. Charlie never felt he needed to ask or even tell us his position.

HELP! THERE IS A BIG problem on River Watch Parkway. The lanes are closed on each side of the highway, making it very dangerous for us. Every morning and afternoon there are several drivers that insist on using the closed lane to "get ahead" of everyone else by racing and dodging to get ahead of the cars that actually have the sense to be in the lane that is not closed. Something needs to be done before someone gets hurt!

RAVES TO FORMER Georgia Gov. Carl E. Sanders for remembering his friend and former aide, D. Douglas Barnard, by attending the new ASU amphitheatre's dedication ceremony where the outdoor venue was named for Barnard.

HUGE RAVE TO THE MAN who pulled my precious granddaughter, two of her classmates and my daughter-in-law from the awful wreckage when their vehicle was struck by a produce truck near Grovetown. God bless you.

Ole School
Ole School 05/02/08 - 04:54 am
Giant Rant for the people of

Giant Rant for the people of WRENS, I wish people in Augusta were still as nice you guys are , it was a breath of fresh air at ingalls to be greeted that nice ! BY ALL !!!

PTHS2
PTHS2 05/02/08 - 05:21 am
A Rant for folks being nice,

A Rant for folks being nice, huh? Is it going to be one of those days?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/02/08 - 05:31 am
Open lanes or closed lanes,

Open lanes or closed lanes, look out for crazy drivers. When school lets out for summer, the crazies out number the simi-crazies.

sliique
sliique 05/02/08 - 06:15 am
GPS systems for school buses?

GPS systems for school buses? That shouldn't surprise anyone down here. Those school bus drivers have to have an IQ that is exceeded by their shoe size to qualify for the job!

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 05/02/08 - 06:22 am
I THINK he meant RAVE PTHS.

I THINK he meant RAVE PTHS. didn't he? Goodmorning everyone. Hope ya'll have a good day. If you can't be good, then be good at it.:)

PTHS2
PTHS2 05/02/08 - 06:29 am
sliique - What happened?

sliique - What happened? Didn't you get any litter in your yard this week? And btw, those are 2-way GPS systems I believe so that they know where the buses are or if they have a problem.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/02/08 - 06:31 am
WOW angie. Great

WOW angie. Great deduction!!!!!!! you must be, like, a genius. Thanks for clearing that up.

Jillian
Jillian 05/02/08 - 06:31 am
is anyone surprised the "DC

is anyone surprised the "DC Madame" is dead and they are calling it a suicide?

PAW
PAW 05/02/08 - 06:34 am
I said it before and I will

I said it before and I will say it again, Any person driving over the age of 60 is a menace to society and a weapon of mass destruction on the road........I seen a lady who had to be about 70, driving with those Star Trek shades on....she was weaving all over the road, ran the red light and almost hit another car.......She was driving like she did nothing wrong.....I called 911 and gave the police her license plate number.....I hope they caught her before she caused a disaster like the terrorist

shivas
shivas 05/02/08 - 06:38 am
My mom's 82, and drives

My mom's 82, and drives everywhere with no problems. She makes good bisquits, too.

PTHS2
PTHS2 05/02/08 - 06:40 am
Did anybody see any local

Did anybody see any local coverage of this? I didn't ...... 10 million bees take over home

MARTINEZ, Ga., May 2 (UPI) -- A Martinez, Ga., woman says her home has been swarmed by as many as 10 million bees.

Theresa Manning said she phoned a bee removal expert after she saw the insects flying into her attic and heard scratching coming from behind her walls, WSB-TV, Atlanta, reported.

Bee wrangler Jason Rehr said he expected to find multiple hives in the attic, but instead found the bees had turned the structure into a giant hive with honeycombs on the ceiling and walls.

"This is the mamma-jamma here, this is the biggest one I've ever seen," Rehr said.

He said he plans to move the bees several miles away from the house to hives that have been prepared.

© 2008 United Press International

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 05/02/08 - 06:47 am
To the rant about the GPS in

To the rant about the GPS in the School Buses and the bus drivers. I wouldn't talk bad about them unless you can do a better job, and I don't believe you have walked in those shoes!
In reference to the GPS it tells the bus shop where they are if they break down, if they are parked somewhere they shouldn't be and allows them to track the bus and it's speed at all times. It seems to me that this is a way of insuring safe drivers on all the buses and will quickly identify problem areas.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/02/08 - 06:49 am
The reason the drivers tests

The reason the drivers tests are individually given is because some people can drive longer then others. The elderly need to make arrangements for the day they loose their privilege to drive.

griesella
griesella 05/02/08 - 06:49 am
Yes PTHS..They even showed us

Yes PTHS..They even showed us photos. WE recently had a swarm in our neighborhood. It was an amazing sight. They clung to a tree branch and formed a perfect cone shape. We called a bee keeper who came with his equipment and moved them to his hives..

PTHS2
PTHS2 05/02/08 - 06:53 am
JLS - Thanks, guess I missed

JLS - Thanks, guess I missed it. A few years ago I had a hive set up shop inside my yard sprinkler control box. I tried to find somebody to come take them away but had no luck. I resorted to duct taping my cuffs and wearing a bandana and using the garden sprayer filled with diswashing fluid and water. It worked - but I'd have rather they were moved humanely.

griesella
griesella 05/02/08 - 06:56 am
What's with the school bus

What's with the school bus drivers stopping at each and every house (Sometimes even blowing their horn so the child will not get left behind) rather than having a central bus-stop. Doesn't all the stopping & starting use lots more fuel? It used to be that kids would walk down to the street and wait at the stop.

DoubleD

patriciathomas 05/02/08 - 07:27 am
Blah!

Blah!

Freeman
Freeman 05/02/08 - 07:28 am
Good Morning everyone. I'd

Good Morning everyone. I'd like to second the rave for the unsung hero who helped the damsels in distress without concern for themself. I applaud any act of heroism ..small of large. Kudos to the bus system now having a way to track the buses and our children. Buses have accident all the time, perhaps not so much here, but you see it in the news often. Having these devices will make me feel like my son is safer and that the drivers are more accountable for their actions while they are driving our children around. Now as to JLS comment about the 'good ole days' when kids had a central bus stop: in some places like apt complexes this happens, but along today's neighborhoods, I think the idea behind it is the safety of our children who may wander off and miss the bus, or by moving toward an area, have the potential of being hurt by an idiot driver who drives 50 in a 25 mph zone like they do in front of my residence all the time. Having your child catch the bus without leaving the house also insures they don't miss the bus when they run late and are en route to the stop. If the bus driver passed them up, then wehre would the child be? Walking to school?

Freeman
Freeman 05/02/08 - 07:34 am
The problem on ANY road in

The problem on ANY road in Augusta is that drivers don't plan ahead and when they are running late they just 'bully' their way through traffic without any regard for others. It is sickening to see the selfish drivers put everyone else in danger because they had to go to Starbucks and then hurry to make up the lost time, or leave the house too late because they stayed up watching Letterman and woke up late. Get real people, try living in Houston where almost everyone commutes an hour or more to work and the drivers are going over 100 down I-45 to the downtown... wanna complain about the Parkway? It's a piece of cake compared to larger more congested cities, like say, Atlanta!

Freeman
Freeman 05/02/08 - 07:41 am
PTHS, about the bees, glad

PTHS, about the bees, glad they found some. Bees that serve the farmers are disappearing at an alarming rate all over the country according to some news reports I've watched. Bee herders and keepers have no idea where they are going... one bee handler who makes his living said he was out of business in less than a year because he just kept losing bees without knowing where they went... sounds like we found some of the missing ones...sad the lady had to find them in her house-hive.

PTHS2
PTHS2 05/02/08 - 07:49 am
Free - DId you ever consider

Free - DId you ever consider that you are not the only person who is aware of these things?

Freeman
Freeman 05/02/08 - 07:54 am
PTHS- never considered anyone

PTHS- never considered anyone was watching TV with all the complaints about what's on and who's the target for the day...Geee, maybe I shuddha.

griesella
griesella 05/02/08 - 07:55 am
Freeman, I thought it was

Freeman, I thought it was because the children are not responsible enough to get to a bus stop. The spoiled little dears need to have their door to door service; it's like calling a cab. My original comment was meant to reflect on the gasoline usage and the fact that the price increase has hurt the school system, I was taught that stopping and starting will decrease your gasoline mileage.

Freeman
Freeman 05/02/08 - 07:55 am
PTHS- didya ever check my

PTHS- didya ever check my page at myspace?

Freeman
Freeman 05/02/08 - 07:57 am
JLS, just one question.

JLS, just one question. What's more important, the rising cost of fuel or the safety of our children?

Freeman
Freeman 05/02/08 - 07:58 am
Perhaps I should just 'lurk'

Perhaps I should just 'lurk' today.

Freeman
Freeman 05/02/08 - 08:04 am
I can't really say how the

I can't really say how the school system is funded here in GA, but back in TX they have districts that often cross county lines...funding is evened out amongst all the schools in a district and each school receives equal funding, so that no school is just installing computers like Tutt was when we first moved here in 2004. Richmond Co seems to have a poor tax base for funding its schools, so it must be difficult to decide how and where to spend its revenue. This leads to lower quality instruction because teachers who are really good can teach in another county for better pay and leaves us with the leftovers who can't afford to teach anywhere else..this is not a negative toward our teachers, but toward the way we attract quality instructors, which we desperately need. I hope the BOE person is here today and can set any wrong-thinking I have about this straight.

PTHS2
PTHS2 05/02/08 - 08:05 am
I don't stay grumpy for long

I don't stay grumpy for long - no worries. And not yet on the page.

Commission plays 'Let's Make A Deal'

Political rumors are running wild in Augusta just like goats at city detention ponds. For example, here are e-mails that have been making the rounds.