Augusta Economy

More News | Fort Gordon | Plant Vogtle | Savannah River Site | Editor

Across the area

Bar owner acquitted of assault charges

A Richmond County Superior Court jury deliberated just more than an hour Friday before acquitting a downtown restaurant owner of aggravated assault.

William Michael Guthrie Jr., 33, the co-owner of 1102 Bar and Grill, was accused of knocking a man to the ground and kicking him in the head on New Year's Eve.

Defense attorney Travers Chance told the jury in his opening statement the alleged victim tripped and fell on the sidewalk and Mr. Guthrie fell on top of him. After that, a brawl developed with about a dozen people involved, Mr. Chance said.

Man is convicted in sexual assault case

A jury has convicted a 40-year-old Augusta man of crimes connected with a child rape.

Donnie L. Wynn had maintained his innocence in Richmond County Superior Court. But Thursday at the conclusion of a four-day trial that included the victim's testimony as well as DNA evidence, the jury found him guilty of all charges.

Mr. Wynn was accused of sexually assaulting a 15-year-old girl on May 6, 2006. He faces a minimum prison term of 10 years and as much as life. No sentencing date has been set.

Man sought for using stolen credit cards

Investigators are searching for a man accused of using stolen credit cards to buy gas for other drivers.

William Anthony Curtis, 23, of 3817 Dorset St., is charged with financial transaction card fraud, according to Richmond County sheriff's Investigator Shane McDaniel.

A deputy saw Mr. Curtis using the credit cards, which were reported stolen from a man's wallet Monday morning, to buy gas for others at the Circle K gas station at 1739 Walton Way later that night, Investigator McDaniel said. Anyone with information on Mr. Curtis can call the sheriff's office at (706) 821-1080.

Driver charged after hitting apartments

A North Augusta woman has been charged with DUI after authorities say she drove her car into an apartment complex early Friday.

Jamie Corbett, 28, of Tracey Drive, was traveling east on Womrath Road about 5 a.m. when she ran a stop sign and then traveled off the roadway, striking a building in the Chalet North Court apartments, according to North Augusta Public Safety Lt. Robert Bell. No one was hurt in the incident, Lt. Bell said. Ms. Corbett also faces several traffic charges, including leaving the scene of an accident.

$155 in gas siphoned from cars at day care

Thieves siphoned about $155 in gas from three work vehicles parked at an Augusta day care sometime between Wednesday night and Thursday morning.

The incident happened at Cottonwood Daycare at 3423 Peach Orchard Road, according to a Richmond County Sheriff's Office report. The thieves also stole a riding lawn mower worth $2,000, the report stated.

Contract changes SRS management

A ruling sent to U.S. Energy Department officials Friday will allow Savannah River Nuclear Solutions to take over Savannah River Site management in 90 days.

The U.S. General Accounting Office mailed the letter approving the contract, said DOE spokesman Jim Guisti. About 160 management positions will be cut, he said. The five-year contract was awarded for an annual $800 million with an option to renew.

meamous
meamous 04/26/08 - 04:15 am
In regards to the 1102 story

In regards to the 1102 story it pays to have a good lawyer evidently because that's not the story I heard from people who were there.As a matter of fact it's nowhere near the the story I heard.Word on the street is that the victim tried to climb on that crappy New Year's ball they had hanging form a crane and the guy Mike lost his @%**."Tripped and fell"?Sounds like what a battered woman says.Keep up the attitude dude and you're gonna get shown.Johnny-come-latelys like you are ruining what was a great downtown scene for those of us who were hanging out when people like you were scared to come down there.

edst4
edst4 04/26/08 - 06:54 am
If that was the case meamous

If that was the case meamous why did these witness's not appear at the trial, not like this has not been known. I am sure if what you said is true, what comes around goes around and it has worked for me every single time. Might take years but it does happen

edst4
edst4 04/26/08 - 06:57 am
I guess we need to start

I guess we need to start buying gas caps with locks on them now. I had 2 cans stolen from my backyard after Katrina hit and gas went up. I think I am going to leave a 5 gallon gas can in my drive way mix some water and oil in it. Then laugh my head off when i see the thief broke down somewhere.

meamous
meamous 04/26/08 - 07:09 am
Good question that I can't

Good question that I can't answer edst4.I only know what I was told.But the people I have spoken to are trustworthy and have no reason to lie.I was actually a block away when it happened and got fresh info if you know what I mean.Could be some cash exchanged hands.Last I heard these guys at 1102 (there's 3 co-owners if I'm correct) were sweating bullets over their liquor license so a little "hush money" would be a wise investment for a business that makes it's rent on Sunday alcohol sales.Hell I'd take an @** whooping for as little as $200 with the price of gas being what it is.Any takers?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/26/08 - 07:18 am
meamous, 2 good rumors and $1

meamous, 2 good rumors and $1 gets you one cup of coffee.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/26/08 - 07:19 am
As gas prices rise so will

As gas prices rise so will the incidence of gas theft. The unemployed have to drive too.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 04/26/08 - 07:21 am
it's a republican ploy

it's a republican ploy

pizzato
pizzato 04/26/08 - 07:32 am
Let's see the Downtown

Let's see the Downtown Augusta Ga bar owners have always gotten their way. Remember when the strip clubs and their owners were the law of the land?

meamous
meamous 04/26/08 - 07:43 am
PatriciaThomas rumors are

PatriciaThomas rumors are what you hear from a friend of a friend who's uncle's cousin was in the vicinity.These were people who had just left the scene from which I had left an approximately an hour before.I think the proper term is "witness".Trust me.I'm not one to go around spreading rumors.SCORE! I quoted Joe Dirt and made reference to HeeHaw in one day on the Chronicle Boards.(See "Income per Person Here Lags Nation").

christian134
christian134 04/26/08 - 09:26 am
And so it begins....gas

And so it begins....gas thieves were bound to surface with the rising gas prices....Now we just have to figure out a way to...oh maybe set off an alarm on our cars...wait that doesn't work because most times they are considered a nusiance...Maybe a way to send an electrical charge though their bodies without blowing everyone else up...Yep that works for me....:-)

BOO
BOO 04/26/08 - 09:52 am
i am with you meamous - that

i am with you meamous - that is not what i heard happened! i have known michael since he was a young boy--- doesn't suprise me at all!!!

Lakeside95 04/26/08 - 10:04 am
Oh, yeah. So you have known

Oh, yeah. So you have known 'Michael' since he was a young boy so you are not surprised that he would attack a person for no reason?

Give me a break.

What you are really saying is that Mike must have bribed the entire jury and all the purported witnesses?? Come on now, co-owning a bar is not that profitable.

BOO
BOO 04/26/08 - 10:23 am
I am sorry lakeside95 but

I am sorry lakeside95 but apparently you don't know what i was saying --- i never mentioned money or bribery but if that's what you think?? it's dangerous to assume!

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 04/26/08 - 11:16 am
The old he tripped and I fell

The old he tripped and I fell on him defense.

mable8
mable8 04/26/08 - 11:48 am
Gee, a man is convicted for

Gee, a man is convicted for assaulting a 15 year old girl and gets prison time; yet those folks in Texas can 'marry' children younger than that and claim Persecution. What's wrong with this picture???? Seems to me, the authorities need to start making arrests of the adults who are involved at that compound.

meamous
meamous 04/26/08 - 12:46 pm
ROFL Hypocrite. You don't

ROFL Hypocrite.
You don't have to bribe a jury Lakeside.You just have to have one or two people change their original statements.It's that easy.Add to that the fact it was New Year's Eve and most involved were drinking heavily and that's enough to put doubt in a jury.Trust me if this story even resembled what I was told I wouldn't question it but like I said It's not even close.

bill63
bill63 04/26/08 - 03:00 pm
Uh, ...the guy raped his own

Uh, ...the guy raped his own DAUGHTER! Life is too short.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 04/26/08 - 05:05 pm
You mean no one else here has

You mean no one else here has had their gas stolen? I have, and they didn't even bother to hide the siphon. So I put a locking gas cap on over a year ago.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 04/26/08 - 05:07 pm
It seems teachers may soon

It seems teachers may soon qualify for hazardous duty pay. Or they should. (See 5:01pm headline at the top of the page.)

workingmom
workingmom 04/26/08 - 05:54 pm
Such a sad story. Hopefully

Such a sad story. Hopefully it wasn't a student who did this.

SCEagle Eye
SCEagle Eye 04/27/08 - 09:43 am
The new manager of the

The new manager of the Savannah River Site, "Savannah River Nuclear Solutions," is made up of the large corporations Fluor, Nothrup Grumman and Honeywell, all of whom are very cozy with the military-industrial complex. Another step right here at home of a big, out-of-control government handing over government function to the corporations which hold profit (obtaining our tax money) above all. This corporate socialism can neither long endure or well serve those of us who are footing the bil.

WW1949
WW1949 04/28/08 - 08:47 am
Pluto Boy, Savannah River

Pluto Boy, Savannah River provides good paying jobs to thousands of people in the Augusta Aiken area. Without Ft. Gordon, MCG, Savannah River and other large employeers the Augusta area would have a real problem. Are you nuts?

hankcrane
hankcrane 05/12/08 - 12:12 pm
Meamous, I represent the

Meamous, I represent the alleged victim in this case and would very much like to speak with you about the potential witnesses that you mention in your post. If you have a few minutes to speak with me, please call me at 706 738-7111. Thank you.

Fire Department raises sought

The Augusta Fire Depart­ment will present a pay raise proposal for firefighters and administrators to the county’s public safety committee Monday.