Rants and raves

Comments from our readers.

BIG STORY ABOUT "Funding hinges on legislative clout.'' How sad that even in state government, nothing is done because it's absolutely constitutional and necessary. Rather, things get done because of "clout."

JIMMY CARTER'S EGO continues to threaten the U.S. and Israel. What an arrogant dope!

WAY TO GO COLTS! Augusta should be proud to have another winning team!

WHY IS THAT Augustans are always the crazy drivers during the Masters?

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF Paul Broun records or listens to the responses roared into the phone each time some unsuspecting constituent picks another of his continual aggravating recorded messages?

TO THE RANTER on Ted Turner giving money to the church to fight malaria: Do pray for Ted, but please also pray for yourself. Apparently Ted knows more about Scripture than you do, friend. Jesus clearly tells us that our job as a church is to feed the hungry, heal the sick, comfort the afflicted, and more!

THE ONE THING I have noticed about The Chronicle format change is less news and more advertisements.

BILL KIRBY SAYS Bill Wood gives this fact: "There are ... 4,998 types of snakes in Georgia." He omits the fact that all but 4,995 of those are politicians.

A RANT FOR THE "ELDERLY PEOPLE WRITING CHECKS" Are you kidding? I'd rather wait on someone writing a check, than wait on someone with five screaming kids using a "quick" food stamps credit card! Get over yourself and wait! You will be old one day too!

I READ THE ARTICLE on Harrisburg and I am thankful we have people like Butch Palmer, who is trying to clean up our neighborhood. And Betty Beard not taking the petition seriously. If the ministeries were still in the the Laney Walker and they were having these problems, her name would have been the first on the petition. She was put in office to help all of her district, not just the Laney Walker area.

DoubleD
DoubleD 04/25/08 - 01:32 pm
Baroness, I'm not joining

Baroness, I'm not joining PTHS but I have to agree. It is unusual (well not as of lately) but you don't expect to see a person of authority to have family problems. This is caused by our own thinking. We forget that they are also human. Does this mean that he isn't competent in executing his mission? We all have agreed before that some of the best parents have had children go down the wrong path despite the example set for them. As far as the guy not getting harsher punishment because of his father's position, that is wrong, but I would do the same for my son if he F'ed up also. It is like when my peers screw up. I will let them know but I'll still have their back and not try to incriminate them anymore. It's the teamwork engrained in me.

Dan White 04/25/08 - 01:33 pm

Thank you DD for your accurate assessment. That has been my contention all along. Foreigners come in here, respect and take advantage of capitalism and make good money and sometimes get rich while those in the race business want more government handouts for those too inept or lazy to take advantage of the American dream. They want whites to feel guilty for black poverty. The Civil Rights era is over. Equal opportunity exists for all! Just ask Patel or Gonzalez or Chen!

DoubleD
DoubleD 04/25/08 - 01:35 pm
I'm pretty easy to find. I'm

I'm pretty easy to find. I'm that guy standing in my driveway drinking beer with the neighbor while a black lab runs around us. I won't make it more obvious. If your out riding around drive through our circle and shoot the crap. I usually drink beer from around 1800-2000 out in driveway. I guess the only thing that makes me different from the other element in my neighborhood is that what I'm consuming is legal, and I have a job. Other than that we all are getting high sittin on the porch. (again, mine is legal)

Dan White 04/25/08 - 01:36 pm
baroness - I think it's true

baroness - I think it's true that Patel means hotel.

RollingEyes
RollingEyes 04/25/08 - 01:38 pm
Baroness and Greenjacket.

Baroness and Greenjacket. The name Patel is from India and means 'headman' or leader. You are right, it is one of if not the most common name of one from that heritage.

RollingEyes
RollingEyes 04/25/08 - 01:39 pm
However, it SHOULD mean

However, it SHOULD mean hotel in THIS country! ;-)

Dan White 04/25/08 - 01:40 pm
LOL thanks eyes!

LOL thanks eyes!

RollingEyes
RollingEyes 04/25/08 - 01:48 pm
April, that's so funny! Pay

April, that's so funny! Pay for your faith on credit! What's next? Super Soul Saver lay away plans?

DoubleD
DoubleD 04/25/08 - 01:53 pm
Some of these churches

Some of these churches require an allottment form before you can worship.

Dan White 04/25/08 - 01:57 pm
LOL DD! Right on!

LOL DD! Right on!

RollingEyes
RollingEyes 04/25/08 - 01:57 pm
I guess that those churches

I guess that those churches never got around to reading the part in the Bible where Jesus tossed money mongers out of the temple? Sheesh! What if you aren't rich enough to worship at those churches? Do they turn you away?

RollingEyes
RollingEyes 04/25/08 - 01:58 pm
D-D, were you joking?

D-D, were you joking?

DoubleD
DoubleD 04/25/08 - 01:59 pm
I'm dead serious!

I'm dead serious!

RollingEyes
RollingEyes 04/25/08 - 02:02 pm
I guess that I shouldn't be

I guess that I shouldn't be shocked. Everything else in the world comes with a price tag, why should churches be left out? I admit though, I am disappointed to hear this, it just doesn't seem right.

DoubleD
DoubleD 04/25/08 - 02:03 pm
I was at the Barbershop one

I was at the Barbershop one day at the same time as one of our high and mighty preachers from a giant church on willis foreman. A young man came in to make a buck selling some fake perfumes and other cheap crap. This preacher had the nerve to make comments about how this young man doesn't have a license to do business etc...I'd rather see a guy break a law to make a buck selling junk than to have him out robbing people...when we know who the real crooks are.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 04/25/08 - 02:06 pm
PTHS, It would be stupid and

PTHS, It would be stupid and dangerous for me to tell you what you asked. DoubleD, I do not fault his parents at all, he is a grown man in his early 30's, after all. If you read my posts on the forum, you would already have understood that, but I also understand that you might not have the time or inclination to look closely at all posts, I don't either, so forgive me if I misunderstand sometimes. I suspect PTHS and DoubleD would be in complete agreement with me if you knew "the rest of the story".

RollingEyes
RollingEyes 04/25/08 - 02:08 pm
Back when I was a barber by

Back when I was a barber by trade, my worst tippers were ministers of all faiths. In fact a few of them hinted that I ought to cut their hair for free because they were ministers.

DoubleD
DoubleD 04/25/08 - 02:11 pm
It's all good baroness, I

It's all good baroness, I neither agree nor disagree with you, because I don't know all the facts.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 04/25/08 - 02:13 pm
Thanks DoubleD, I hope you

Thanks DoubleD, I hope you will give me the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Fire n Ice
Fire n Ice 04/25/08 - 02:14 pm
Important people dont have

Important people dont have children in trouble? Last place I lived, over the course of 5 years, the county commisioners boys got caught with drugs in her house, the county sherriffs kid got caught with drugs several times! Need I say more?

RollingEyes
RollingEyes 04/25/08 - 02:17 pm
Fire, you've got it wrong.

Fire, you've got it wrong. Important people's children are just misunderstood. All others are hoodlums!

swolf612000
swolf612000 04/25/08 - 02:19 pm
We have plenty of them in

We have plenty of them in trouble over here! We have Ravenel, who managed to start and tank his political career in one season, a small town nearby where the city council keeps ending up in jail, another small town whose entire police dept had to be dissolved because of corruption, and that doesn't count all the lawmakers getting DUI's, the Lt Governor speeding and trying to get his tickets waived (when not crashing his plane) ... it just goes on... I guess I've seen/heard so much of it with the "leaders" that I just tune it out now Baroness.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 04/25/08 - 02:23 pm
Wow.

Wow.

Dan White 04/25/08 - 02:23 pm
They may not turn you away

They may not turn you away Eyes, but they can throw on the guilt and make you feel mighty uncomfortable and out of place through motivation through guilt from the preaching and stewardship programs. It makes you feel like a misfit and that you don't belong when churches do this.

DoubleD
DoubleD 04/25/08 - 02:27 pm
Slight change in subjects,

Slight change in subjects, but slightly related: People think the military will give their kid discipline; true somewhat. We had a navy guy where I work get a DUI off base. The Navy Det. reduced him in rank, took 1/2 month's pay x2months, 45days restriction and 45 days extra duty, and are giving him an other than honerable discharge. All of that on top of the average 4-6K he will spend in civil court over this matter.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 04/25/08 - 02:28 pm
I remember reading about some

I remember reading about some of those things, swolf. What a mess. I was so busy ducking verbal abuse, veggies, eggs, BB's, pellets, bullets, and broken glass etc., in the last few years at the old place my focus was on piecing together news for clues in 30906 and not paying but peripheral attention to the surrounding areas' news. (Except for the big drug busts off the Georgia and Florida coasts, the Gulf coast and I-95. Those had a ripple effect here).

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 04/25/08 - 02:30 pm
Double D, they don't mess

Double D, they don't mess around, do they?

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 04/25/08 - 02:33 pm
Well said mable8. I don't

Well said mable8. I don't believe in organized religion. And I don't believe a lot of what the Bible states. I believe in God, and have a personal relationship with him. I firmly believe in the power of prayer, and know right from wrong. All these different organizations just complicate it. I use to work with a girl who would not listen to a JOYCE MEYERS (isn't that her name) tape I had, because she is a woman. God is not up in the sky with a whip waiting to judge you and spank you for your sins. You did that to your self by making bad choices. It's called THE LAW OF THE UNIVERSE. God will always be there for you when you have fallen due to your choices.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 04/25/08 - 02:33 pm
RollingEyes, I liked this

RollingEyes, I liked this joke offered by PTHS: An invisible man married an invisible woman. Their kids were nothing to look at either.
Posted by PTHS on Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:50 PM

Dan White 04/25/08 - 02:34 pm
Yea DD, I knew this kid who

Yea DD, I knew this kid who was in all kind of trouble. The judge gave him the choice of joining the Army or going to jail. He joined the Army and within the year was kicked out for drugs, insubordinaton, etc. Went to jail after all. You can't make a pearl out of sow's ear.