Rants and raves

Comments from our readers.

I WOULD LIKE TO SAY thank you to all the good doctors and nurses on the third floor IC unit at Doctors Hospital who took care of my friend for 19 days.

IN ATLANTA, you have to get 100 permits to cut down one tree. In Augusta, you can bulldoze every tree in your yard and you can circle your yard with same trees and limbs and it is not a violation. Come on, Augusta, protect property owners from ignorance of other property owners.

WHO WILL JOIN ME in a class-action suit against Paul Broun for harassing phone calls and P.O. box-clogging mail?

WHY DOESN'T GOLF have a name for doing something three times in a row, like in bowling three strikes is a turkey. I would propose we name a streak of three bogeys a turkey: "Here's Phil lining up a putt on the fourth hole to avoid a turkey ..."

RAVES TO Felicia Turner, the principal at Lakeside Middle School, for opening her school during instructional time to parental visits.

STATE SEN. ERIC JOHNSON says he's conservative, yet he wants to setup a "permanent funding source for treating critically injured people." Can Sen. Johnson be both Republican, conservative and socialist?

AHH ... MASTERS TRAFFIC. People speeding, cutting you off, wandering around lost, in the wrong traffic lanes, not sure where they're going. And that's just the local folks!

A BIG RAVE for page 2 of The Chronicle, highlighting the important stories and where to find them. With so much information coming in to us, this format makes it easier to locate what is most important to each individual.

I WANT TO THANK the Democratic Party for $4-a-gallon gas. The Democrats have stopped the oil companies from building a new refinery and drilling for oil in the United States. I hope gas goes to $10 a gallon.

ATHEISTS HAVE BEEN maligned and marginalized for too long. There should be a national holiday which recognizes their contributions to our society. I suggest April 1.

TIME TO DO AWAY with middle-grade fuel. We don't need it.

AS LOUSY A PRESIDENT as LBJ was, I think we are seeing history as Bush runs around the world trying to solve everyone's problems but our own.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/22/08 - 05:55 am
Since the number of people

Since the number of people attending the Masters was cut back, I find getting around in tournament traffic easy. There's a small area to avoid to circumvent the congestion and confusion. I know the streets of Augusta and am not bothered by the extra effort for one week a year.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/22/08 - 05:58 am
lol on Atheists Day. I think

lol on Atheists Day. I think that in the spirit of combining holidays (a popular custom in America) we should also make April 1 Socialists Day. (birds of a feather, so to speak)

prolifer
prolifer 04/22/08 - 06:31 am
To the ranter who needs

To the ranter who needs permission to cut down trees. I planted them and I'll cut them down if I want to. I have two trees that are dying in my back yard. Are you suggesting I find 100 people that agree before they fall and injure someone? BTW, before you answer that question, what about the tree that injured the elderly woman in ATL? The tree was dead and the caretakers had asked the city to take it down, they refused. Guess they didn't have enough signatures to take it down.

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 04/22/08 - 06:35 am
If gas goes to $10 per

If gas goes to $10 per gallon, who do you think will foot the bill for the Congressmen and Senators???? What An IDIOT! This should be a good time to start a gas petition for your Congressmen and Senators!!!!!!!

PAW
PAW 04/22/08 - 06:39 am
In My Most Humble Opinion, I

In My Most Humble Opinion, I think those kids that were fighting at school were nothing but some heartless animals, that deserved to be locked up under the jail. The parents should be right along with them. Your child should go to school to earn an education, not to fight and throw up gang signs.....And half of the kids can't spell gang or sign........Dr. Bedden And Ronnie Strength, get together and get rid of these trouble makers. I pay taxes for law and order and I would not mind paying taxes to keep those degenerates in jail for ever. In My Most Humble Opinion

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 04/22/08 - 06:42 am
Blaming the Dems for the high

Blaming the Dems for the high gas prices!? The Bush's are the "oil" people. Daddy Bush, brother Bush, Baby Bush (our president)... and they have been "best buds" with the Saudi oil princes for a long, long time. They are the cause, they don't care about any of us and they are laughing all the way to the bank! The Prez said the oil companies need the heavy profits to invest in alternative energy sources.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
19157
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 04/22/08 - 06:44 am
Paw I second that motion!

Paw I second that motion! Thank you.

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 04/22/08 - 06:46 am
Yeah, all we need with the

Yeah, all we need with the already lame county commissioners is another "do nothing" committee to stick their incapable noses where they are not wanted. When they pay my mortgage then they can decide about my trees!

WhoCares
WhoCares 04/22/08 - 06:48 am
The US is under an

The US is under an unannounced oil embargo. But instead of not selling oil, the price has been jacked up. How much is a gallon of gasoline in Saudi Arabia? Not $3,35. Its amazinghow much the price changes. In Venezuela the price is .13 cents a gallon. Some how between here and there the price goes up so much.

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 04/22/08 - 06:52 am
Look at the video of the

Look at the video of the brawl. There were too many people in that hall at once and certainly too much testosterone!
On the ligher side...
How can these kids really fight? It's got to be a one handed battle because the other hand is too busy holding up their pants! May be comical to watch. Why don't they just pull each other's britches down! They can't walk but a few feet before they have to pull up their pants!

DoubleD
DoubleD 04/22/08 - 07:07 am
Can someone give me the link

Can someone give me the link to the video of the fight? I gotta see that. I saw a guy that had his pants around his knees yesterday. I wanted to push him over just to watch him struggle to get up. I wouldn't even have to run away, because I could get away by just walking. Also, why do some guys think its cool to walk with a limp? That is the funniest chit to me! I guess they call that style.

shivas
shivas 04/22/08 - 07:08 am
Republican Announcement: The

Republican Announcement: The following instructions are to be used for today's earth Day, 1) make fun of those who think the Earth should be respected, 2) Associate Earth Day with Atheism, 3) Associate Earth Day with Socialism, 4) When confronted with environmental facts, yell like a child that it's liberal rubbish, 5) Insist that the smog in the air is just a new form of allergen and pollen, 6) Insist that global warming is good for the earth and is a natural occurance, 7) Call anyone who disagrees with you unpatriotic, and refer them to Homeland Security for telephone monitoring, 8) Insist Jesus is for increased oil consumption, and it is christian to actually destroy the Earth to expedite the Rapture. Do these things, and you'll have a great Earth Day. Please feel free to improvise when necessary.

DoubleD
DoubleD 04/22/08 - 07:15 am
I saw the video. How can

I saw the video. How can anyone get an education there? I do like how homeboy stopped to get a drink of water in the middle of all the commotion. LOL

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/22/08 - 07:17 am
Democrat announcement : For

Democrat announcement : For Earth Day, act like shivas. Stupid as a natural rock.

DoubleD
DoubleD 04/22/08 - 07:17 am
shivas, I'm gonna do a

shivas, I'm gonna do a smoking burnout just for you. Then, I'll change my oil and dump it on Dixon Airline Road. Happy Earth Day. Don't autumatically assume we are all like that.

raptcontemplation
raptcontemplation 04/22/08 - 07:20 am
"Too many people in that hall

"Too many people in that hall at once..." Nonsense. Look at the yearbooks of the early 60s and you see the same thing, except the people are smiling and socializing and having a good time. I can remember walking in those halls and it being so crowded that we were shoulder to shoulder, but we didn't brawl.

PTHS2
PTHS2 04/22/08 - 07:36 am
I-20 Eastbound is shut

I-20 Eastbound is shut between Belair and Wheeler due to a wreck involving 3 tractor trailer trucks

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 04/22/08 - 07:36 am
You are welcome, and while we

You are welcome, and while we are at it, I would like to thank the Republican party for $4.00 a gallon milk and $2.50 a dozen eggs. I guess we need to clone more cows and chickens.

PTHS2
PTHS2 04/22/08 - 07:47 am
Hypo - C'mon man, especially

Hypo - C'mon man, especially today, give the Earth Day folks their due. They get the credit for those food prices. It's called ethanol and even though it takes more than a barrel of fossil fuels to produce, it can be replinished (as long as it's not used to feed starving people or livestock). Have a happy Earth Day!

pablanco
pablanco 04/22/08 - 08:06 am
Hah on the walk with a limp

Hah on the walk with a limp comment.

griesella
griesella 04/22/08 - 08:09 am
Watch the news. People in

Watch the news. People in other countires are also starving because of the price of food. The price of rice alone has tripled and as we know rice is the main staple in some countries. I know, I know, the Bush family controls the rice crops, too :)...but come on, this is not just an American problem. It is world wide. I head Obama say last night in Philly that when he is president, not only will he make changes in the United States of America but the whole, entire world. (And all this time, I thought he was only running for president of the U.S.)

KingCroat
KingCroat 04/22/08 - 08:31 am
Why do balck folk think its

Why do balck folk think its cool to wear their pants to down and show their yodel crack. This needs to be studied.

3M3T1B
3M3T1B 04/22/08 - 08:44 am
I think everyday should be

I think everyday should be patriciathomas day. She is always right, can spot a socialist, democrat, or leftist in any size crowd, has a plan to save america from the communist, terrorists, extremists, -ist of the day. She is tolerant, respectful of others culture/beliefs, and considers others opinion before mouthing off as to how big a (insert word ending in 'ist") they are.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
19157
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 04/22/08 - 08:45 am
The reason they walk with a

The reason they walk with a limp is they are spreading their knees apart in a effort to hold their pants up, giving them a bowlegged appearance that in a few years will become permanent. I think they should be sent home each time they are found with their pants below their waist. The Pimp and Ho look should have zero tolerance in the school system.

shivas
shivas 04/22/08 - 08:46 am
kingcroat, please open your

kingcroat, please open your eyes and you will see young caucasion males doing the same thing. It is a hip-hop thing. Quite disgusting, and in the same vain of white carpenters and plumbers who do the same thing, but unintentionally.

shivas
shivas 04/22/08 - 08:48 am
Sounds like you need a big

Sounds like you need a big hug today patriciathomas. Oops, sorry, it would be unpatriotic to hug a liberal. Could you imagine if you actually had.......

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
19157
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 04/22/08 - 08:48 am
Shivas I think you mean vein

Shivas I think you mean vein not Vain, and you are correct, the saggin crosses all racial lines, but if I were you I would not compare them to people who earn a living and pay their own bills.

mommie2
mommie2 04/22/08 - 08:50 am
White kids do it too. It's

White kids do it too. It's the style apparently. If they only knew where that style originated...

PTHS2
PTHS2 04/22/08 - 08:53 am
tjohns22 - I think they are

tjohns22 - I think they are practicing for when they get there (whatever race)

griesella
griesella 04/22/08 - 08:53 am
shivas..I don't know what

shivas..I don't know what places you frequent but I seldom see kids wearing the wide leg-low hung pants, and if so, the parents are dressed in much the same way. As go the parent, so goes the child.

Thomson teen drowns in pond

McDuffie County Sheriff Logan Marshall said the body of 19 year-old Marquavious Cummings was discovered at 7:45 p.m. Thursday in about 15 feet of water in a chalk mine pond off Iron Hill Road.