Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

THE AUGUSTA ENGINEERING Department said pedestrians have 27 seconds to cross 15th Street. That 27 seconds is to dodge cars since there is no set time for pedestrians to cross with no traffic. We need all traffic directions to stop for 27 seconds.

HOW LOW CAN YOU GO? Auctioning off James Brown's socks and underwear? Leave the man some dignity.

FOR ALL YOU LADIES WHO drive your SUVs and talk on a cell phone, this lady has had enough. From now on I won't avoid the accident due to your stupidity. Hope your insurance is up to date.

THANK YOU TO THE person who paid for my breakfast on April 1 at McDonald's on Highway 56. It was such a surprise when I went to pay and the young man handed me a smiley face card from Hebron Baptist Church. You made my day!

A RAVE FOR ALL Columbia County deputies! You guys ROCK!

I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THANKS for the Richmond County Board of Transportation for getting the kids back and fourth to school every day safely!

A BLURB TELLS US: "Look for our in-depth special section previewing the 2008 Masters Tournament." Had to laugh! What's "deep" about grown men hitting little white balls with sticks?

I AM A MOTHER OF a student at Bungalow Road alternative school. I think it is unfair to the students when there are in line to be searched to enter the building and it goes past 7:25 a.m. The students are not allowed to eat breakfast. Some of the kids don't get to eat at home like others.

TO THOSE WHO LOOK DOWN on the ones out there on Sunday selling papers: I sell papers on Sunday on Wrightsboro Road. I am out there trying to make it. I hope when you all see us out there you don't think bad about us. We are trying to make it. I would just like to thank everyone who buys a Sunday paper from me and my daughter.

A RANT TO THE folks who, when driving up a hill, slow down to 10 mph instead of maintaining the posted speed. Step on the gas please!

Comments (208)

kiddspur
kiddspur 04/17/08 - 12:25 pm

Best joke of the day -- Go

Best joke of the day -- Go look in the mirror..................

RollTide
RollTide 04/17/08 - 12:27 pm

Hello PUTT my friend. How's

Hello PUTT my friend. How's tricks in Athens?

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 04/17/08 - 12:27 pm

dani, I saw that, too. I

dani, I saw that, too. I called and called and called about a neighbor who did this not just with her own child, but with the children left in her every day "birthday parties" i.e., unlicensed, illegal daycare nearby. I was hoping someone would do something about her neglect before someone got killed, but nothing was ever done. Those children must have nine lives like cats, they've had so many close calls. I had nightmares about accidentally hitting one of the children after my father and I saw a red truck slide in the ice to a stop just inches from her boy. Thank God the truck had been going slower than the speed limit around the nearby curve when the child darted into the road and that the driver was attentive and in control of his vehicle, aware of the short sight distance. The driver was a neighbor, too, it would have been even more horrible if he had hit that child just a few houses away from his own home and had to drive that way every day, after the fact. The mother and her friends walk in the middle of that portion of the road (short sight distance in three directions), too, so it's only by God's mercy someone hasn't been hurt yet.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 04/17/08 - 12:30 pm

Whoops. I just remembered

Whoops. I just remembered one of her older friends DID get hit, after she moved a few blocks away, by another neighbor from her new street. Apparently, that driver was not as cautious as we were on our block and not used to grown people walking down the middle of the road at all hours as if it is a sidewalk. She was out walking again a few weeks later, but a little less spry and moving to the side of the road for a change as cars passed.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 04/17/08 - 12:33 pm

I was born a poor child, we

I was born a poor child, we had nothin' for breakfast, leftovers for lunch and a wish sandwich for supper!

PTHS2
PTHS2 04/17/08 - 12:34 pm

DD - I'm 99% sure we've met,

DD - I'm 99% sure we've met, you'll laugh when we get our lunch days/times right. I think it was probably at Indigo's, might have been 5-Pines. I'm waiting for my wife to go on vacation so I can pick up the new Heritage Classic.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 04/17/08 - 12:34 pm

That was my ineffective

That was my ineffective diet...LOL.

DoubleD
DoubleD 04/17/08 - 12:37 pm

PTHS, I met the guy at a

PTHS, I met the guy at a McDonalds a few weeks ago on a Sunday morning. I was on a green night train with black flames. He was telling me there was a ride starting at 2pm from Augusta HD. He was riding an older HD. I don't remember the model.

PTHS2
PTHS2 04/17/08 - 12:43 pm

DD - That was not me. I think

DD - That was not me. I think I know who it was though. Mrs PTHS has made the absolutely unreasonale demand that I go back to work before I can take delivery of the new toy. Tells me I'm a 1st grader and need to grow up ..... but I love her just the same.

RollTide
RollTide 04/17/08 - 12:46 pm

PTHS, Grow Up? I don't ever

PTHS, Grow Up? I don't ever want to grow up. That would take all the fun out of life.

PTHS2
PTHS2 04/17/08 - 12:49 pm

Tide - Not to worry in my

Tide - Not to worry in my case. It's probably why we get along so well.

RollTide
RollTide 04/17/08 - 12:51 pm

Besides, I hope some day my

Besides, I hope some day my wife calls me a 1st grader. It would mean I passed and got promoted 1 grade.

The Madame
The Madame 04/17/08 - 12:59 pm

Crabby, lets do a recipe,

Crabby, lets do a recipe, anyone know how to make Logan's roadhouse teas?

whyme
whyme 04/17/08 - 01:07 pm

I do feel bad for the folks

I do feel bad for the folks selling papers-the ones near my house look pitiful. However, when I've waved away one or two because I get the paper delivered on the weekend, they give a pretty mean look! Maybe their approach could be different!

PTHS2
PTHS2 04/17/08 - 01:15 pm

whyme - Just give them a buck

whyme - Just give them a buck and tell them you don't need the paper, but "thank you for at least working"

Aroundtown
Aroundtown 04/17/08 - 01:56 pm

The coupons in the Sunday

The coupons in the Sunday paper are more than worth the cost.

mable8
mable8 04/17/08 - 02:03 pm

For your information PAW,

For your information PAW, selling papers IS a REAL JOB. The perks handed out by lending agents and the government for education does not allow for everyone to qualify even when the applicant cannot afford to pay college expenses. These individuals who are selling papers are at least doing something to help their families (and themselves). Sure glad you can afford to provide your children with all the amenities of life that not everyone can enjoy.

sjones1
sjones1 04/17/08 - 02:21 pm

that is so true some people

that is so true some people aren't ashamed to do what they have to do to provide for their families. 1 up to any1 who agrees.

RollTide
RollTide 04/17/08 - 02:41 pm

At least they are trying.

At least they are trying. Unlike the baby making, welfare receiving, the government owes me, people.

swolf612000
swolf612000 04/17/08 - 02:59 pm

This blows - "...about 200

This blows - "...about 200 guardsmen with the 218th are stuck in Kuwait because a bankrupt airline cancelled their flight, and it looks like it will take at least another week to get the guardsmen back in the US. "

sjones1
sjones1 04/17/08 - 03:01 pm

yes at least they are trying,

yes at least they are trying, too many don't. The Airline companies can not afford the rising gas prices just like I can't!!!!!!!

PTHS2
PTHS2 04/17/08 - 03:20 pm

sjones1 - Can you tell me

sjones1 - Can you tell me which airline that was? Did you see a cancellation notice on them too?

sjones1
sjones1 04/17/08 - 03:22 pm

No i can not, but i would

No i can not, but i would tell you where you what you could do, but i won't use that type of language on here. Why do you need to confirm everything, don't you know how to google?

RollTide
RollTide 04/17/08 - 03:27 pm
swolf612000
swolf612000 04/17/08 - 03:27 pm

PTHS, it was ATA Airlines,

PTHS, it was ATA Airlines, who is under contract to fly the troops. When they filed for bankruptcy, the cancelled all the flights.

sjones1
sjones1 04/17/08 - 03:39 pm

PTHS is that enough

PTHS is that enough confirmation for you or do you still need more? - Also I noticed some potholes the size of tires while i was downtown, why don't you call someone and see if they can do something about that.

sjones1
sjones1 04/17/08 - 03:41 pm

Oh, just joking about the

Oh, just joking about the size... hope that didn't go over your head and i know size can be such a touchy subject for men, I'm assuming you are a man.

PTHS2
PTHS2 04/17/08 - 03:42 pm

Thanks Tide and swolf - I

Thanks Tide and swolf - I just hate to put out bogus info on a pubic forum.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 04/17/08 - 03:47 pm

I think ya'll need a drink, a

I think ya'll need a drink, a lot of drinks!

RollTide
RollTide 04/17/08 - 03:48 pm

I plan on it just after 5:30

I plan on it just after 5:30 CBBP!