Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

THE AUGUSTA ENGINEERING Department said pedestrians have 27 seconds to cross 15th Street. That 27 seconds is to dodge cars since there is no set time for pedestrians to cross with no traffic. We need all traffic directions to stop for 27 seconds.

HOW LOW CAN YOU GO? Auctioning off James Brown's socks and underwear? Leave the man some dignity.

FOR ALL YOU LADIES WHO drive your SUVs and talk on a cell phone, this lady has had enough. From now on I won't avoid the accident due to your stupidity. Hope your insurance is up to date.

THANK YOU TO THE person who paid for my breakfast on April 1 at McDonald's on Highway 56. It was such a surprise when I went to pay and the young man handed me a smiley face card from Hebron Baptist Church. You made my day!

A RAVE FOR ALL Columbia County deputies! You guys ROCK!

I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THANKS for the Richmond County Board of Transportation for getting the kids back and fourth to school every day safely!

A BLURB TELLS US: "Look for our in-depth special section previewing the 2008 Masters Tournament." Had to laugh! What's "deep" about grown men hitting little white balls with sticks?

I AM A MOTHER OF a student at Bungalow Road alternative school. I think it is unfair to the students when there are in line to be searched to enter the building and it goes past 7:25 a.m. The students are not allowed to eat breakfast. Some of the kids don't get to eat at home like others.

TO THOSE WHO LOOK DOWN on the ones out there on Sunday selling papers: I sell papers on Sunday on Wrightsboro Road. I am out there trying to make it. I hope when you all see us out there you don't think bad about us. We are trying to make it. I would just like to thank everyone who buys a Sunday paper from me and my daughter.

A RANT TO THE folks who, when driving up a hill, slow down to 10 mph instead of maintaining the posted speed. Step on the gas please!

DoubleD
DoubleD 04/17/08 - 11:01 am
I just hate to see your

I just hate to see your average 18-25yr olds that struggle or have no clue what they will do with their life. I'm talking about the ones that don't have a parent with a buisiness, or can't afford school. It gives them a couple years to think about it. I have 2 friends that did one contract and got out to go to college. One is now a CPT/Army Doctor. The other teaches Laproscopic Simulations. There are just a lot of opportunities for the average joe. I admit its not for everyone, and we are a country at war.

sjones1
sjones1 04/17/08 - 11:03 am
Then the show must be on....

Then the show must be on.... - But I did see about two weeks ago it said it was cancelled maybe they changed something, I did not buy tickets so I can not speak for information they have sent out to people who have brought tickets. I can take a joke just as well as the next person, I just didn't understand why Sen. Obama's name was thrown into it. I don't know if has or has not been made clear that I am a serious Obama supporter.

RollTide
RollTide 04/17/08 - 11:04 am
But DD, remember that once a

But DD, remember that once a dem takes over the White House, the war will end that very day. All the ills of the country will be fixed and heck, we won't even need a military!;-)

PTHS2
PTHS2 04/17/08 - 11:05 am
Okay, now I just talked to

Okay, now I just talked to somebody at the James Brown Arena box office. The Chicago show is on for tomorrow night.

sjones1
sjones1 04/17/08 - 11:07 am
RollTide, how uneducated you

RollTide, how uneducated you sound... - just because a "Dem" is not proposing that the war go on for the next 50-100 years while killing thousands of innocent people while the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Doesn't mean a "Dem" is a magician.

PTHS2
PTHS2 04/17/08 - 11:09 am
Tide - Here we go with the

Tide - Here we go with the spelling again, that word is "Dim"

RollTide
RollTide 04/17/08 - 11:09 am
"I can take a joke just as

"I can take a joke just as well as the next person" your words not mine. Obviously you have a higher opinion of your sense of humor than is realistic. My god, IT WAS A JOKE!

DoubleD
DoubleD 04/17/08 - 11:09 am
someone took the bait.

someone took the bait.

DoubleD
DoubleD 04/17/08 - 11:10 am
Tide, why did you give up? I

Tide, why did you give up? I was ready to join the fishing tournament.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 04/17/08 - 11:11 am
I'll go into the militia on

I'll go into the militia on these terms only, Boiled Peanuts with each meal, a case of beer a day and two cases for weekends to include Fridays, comfortable shoes, good lookin wimmen, 2 hour lunches, every other week off, 3 hour workdays only, a turkey and a ham for all religious holidays, a $500.000.00 sign on bonus, a new truck every 6 months, and Pam Anderson to do a dance for me on my birthday like she did for Hugh Hefner.

sjones1
sjones1 04/17/08 - 11:12 am
DD, please join!!! - and a

DD, please join!!! - and a joke is something that funny not stupid.

PTHS2
PTHS2 04/17/08 - 11:12 am
DD - I thank you buddy for

DD - I thank you buddy for your service once again. This summer I will reach the point where half of my life was NOT in a military uniform. I'm not quite there yet.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 04/17/08 - 11:12 am
I think my bobber is too big!

I think my bobber is too big!

RollTide
RollTide 04/17/08 - 11:13 am
I guess I wasn't thinking

I guess I wasn't thinking clearly DD. I'll go run three laps around the beer isle and drink a 12 pack as punishment.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 04/17/08 - 11:14 am
Tide don't forget the Red

Tide don't forget the Red Bull chaser!

RollTide
RollTide 04/17/08 - 11:15 am
Awe CBBP, do I have to?

Awe CBBP, do I have to?

sjones1
sjones1 04/17/08 - 11:15 am
and don't forget your jokes.

and don't forget your jokes.

PTHS2
PTHS2 04/17/08 - 11:18 am
Tide - Those bull chasers

Tide - Those bull chasers have gotten me outta some pastures PDQ. They should supply them for P/T tests.

RollTide
RollTide 04/17/08 - 11:20 am
Well off to lunch. I'll try

Well off to lunch. I'll try to spend the hour remembering some jokes I told in 1st grade. Maybe they won't be over sjones' head.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 04/17/08 - 11:20 am
PTHS did you check out my

PTHS did you check out my requirements for Jining up!

DoubleD
DoubleD 04/17/08 - 11:20 am
PTHS, do you ride a Harley?

PTHS, do you ride a Harley? I met a guy not long ago that fit your description that was riding an HD. He was also was ret AF.

sjones1
sjones1 04/17/08 - 11:22 am
PTHS, it seems like that's

PTHS, it seems like that's the level you're on. (1st grader)

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 04/17/08 - 11:34 am
Good morning all...thank

Good morning all...thank goodness spring is here..roll on big Tide!

mnm
mnm 04/17/08 - 11:34 am
happy Thursday everybody!

happy Thursday everybody! Only one more day till Friday :). I am new to all this however I do have to say that I raised four children, worked full time, took them to all their sports events, cooked their breakfast and dinner and paid for their school lunches. Was it easy? NO!!!!!! But they are my children and my responsibility. Were they perfect? H@#* no. The way I handled no time for breakfast, dinner, etc., was to keep a packed picnic basket in the car with easy, nutrional snacks, etc. so that when there was no time, they always had something to eat even if it was just a granola bar or pop tart. When you are responsible for the care and safety of your children, you get creative to make sure they get what they need. Why????? IT'S YOUR JOB!!!!!!!!!

truthbeliever
truthbeliever 04/17/08 - 11:38 am
Boy, you peoples is vicious.

Boy, you peoples is vicious. Thank God I have a decent job and no kids in alternative school, otherwise I'd probably have to unleash my frustrations on ya'll. Crabcakes, get a doctor who graduated after 1985. There are more effective drugs with fewer side effects. For some of you really early risers, please make me a bacon and egg sandwhich...and they all went to heav'n in a lil' rowboat.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 04/17/08 - 11:38 am
mnm mnm good! There's also

mnm mnm good! There's also fast food available if you don't have time to cook. Some folks always find an excuse not to do what that should. Welcome to the frey...just jump in any where.

mnm
mnm 04/17/08 - 11:48 am
Thanks 14 for the invite! I

Thanks 14 for the invite! I just find it sad the way parents are making so many excuses for their children's behavior! My children are adults with children now and in their early 20's and I see this whole generation with the attitude that their children are being mistreated because society will not cater to them the way the parents do. My children are not entitled to anything simply for the fact that they were born. You EARN what you receive!!!! When my children were hungry, the government didn't send me a check to feed them!!!! I had to get a second job from time to time to make ends meet. No one said raising a family is easy and without sacrifice and it is no one else's job to help you do it!! The mentality of today's parents kills me!!!!! These are the young people who are going to be running this country when we are elderly and it scares the bejesus out of me!!!! They can't pick up their feet, pull up their pants, and take responsibility for anything they do and their parents encourage this!! What the ????

Aroundtown
Aroundtown 04/17/08 - 12:06 pm
As a Parent and educator, I

As a Parent and educator, I see everyday who is to blame for the existence of alternative schools...PARENTS!! I have literally seen high schoolers get into major trouble (cursing out the teacher, etc..) and the parent stand in the office and tell their kid that when the teacher doesn't "respect" them, that they don't have to return respect, then proceed to call the principal names in front of their child. Too many parents take this "Us against them" approach to parenting and they are truly doing a severe injustice to their kids. These students will not be able to even hold down the "fry-cook" job that they can find, if they curse out their manager...for not showing them "respect!" [no offense to all the great fry-cooks out there :) ]

dani
dani 04/17/08 - 12:16 pm
Breaking News is about a

Breaking News is about a Hephzibah mother being charged with child deprivation after her 2 year old was found wandering in the street for the second day in a row...
NO pictures?