Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

THE AUGUSTA ENGINEERING Department said pedestrians have 27 seconds to cross 15th Street. That 27 seconds is to dodge cars since there is no set time for pedestrians to cross with no traffic. We need all traffic directions to stop for 27 seconds.

HOW LOW CAN YOU GO? Auctioning off James Brown's socks and underwear? Leave the man some dignity.

FOR ALL YOU LADIES WHO drive your SUVs and talk on a cell phone, this lady has had enough. From now on I won't avoid the accident due to your stupidity. Hope your insurance is up to date.

THANK YOU TO THE person who paid for my breakfast on April 1 at McDonald's on Highway 56. It was such a surprise when I went to pay and the young man handed me a smiley face card from Hebron Baptist Church. You made my day!

A RAVE FOR ALL Columbia County deputies! You guys ROCK!

I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THANKS for the Richmond County Board of Transportation for getting the kids back and fourth to school every day safely!

A BLURB TELLS US: "Look for our in-depth special section previewing the 2008 Masters Tournament." Had to laugh! What's "deep" about grown men hitting little white balls with sticks?

I AM A MOTHER OF a student at Bungalow Road alternative school. I think it is unfair to the students when there are in line to be searched to enter the building and it goes past 7:25 a.m. The students are not allowed to eat breakfast. Some of the kids don't get to eat at home like others.

TO THOSE WHO LOOK DOWN on the ones out there on Sunday selling papers: I sell papers on Sunday on Wrightsboro Road. I am out there trying to make it. I hope when you all see us out there you don't think bad about us. We are trying to make it. I would just like to thank everyone who buys a Sunday paper from me and my daughter.

A RANT TO THE folks who, when driving up a hill, slow down to 10 mph instead of maintaining the posted speed. Step on the gas please!

PTHS2
PTHS2 04/17/08 - 09:45 am
April 20th is also known as

April 20th is also known as the "Wind Moon" or "Seed Moon". Try that.

robbie1
robbie1 04/17/08 - 09:52 am
There are easier ways to make

There are easier ways to make a living than standing on a corner selling papers... I have to wonder why you choose that vocation. Not busting your chops. Just wondering. As far as the person whining about your kids not getting breakfast at the alternative school... "PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY". That is one lesson that your kids can learn. Their actions got them sent there. Their choice to not eat breakfast before tehy leave for school. Their choice to NOT arrive in time for the search and then eat. Life is tough. Life is tougher for those who expect the world to revolve around them.

lilmace
lilmace 04/17/08 - 09:54 am
The Grier's 2008 Almanac

The Grier's 2008 Almanac sates the following dates for above ground crops: April 5,8,9,12-14 and May 5,6,10,11,17-18. My husband plants everything by an Almanac and always has a great garden. If for some reason he can't plant on the exact date, he's always said that a day before or after doesn't matter.

hopelee08
hopelee08 04/17/08 - 09:58 am
We are worried about

We are worried about breakfast first and the fact that your child is at an alternative school second. This tells me enough about your family setting to as the board to continue to search!!!

PTHS2
PTHS2 04/17/08 - 09:58 am
Playa - you might find this

Playa - you might find this site interesting. Apologies if somebody else has already passed it along - www.navs.org

robartbyrrd
robartbyrrd 04/17/08 - 10:01 am
karma, don't know the old

karma, don't know the old addage, but I planted mine Last Sat. gonna plant the rest of my stuff today. Always heard to wait until after good Fri.

RollTide
RollTide 04/17/08 - 10:02 am
Playa, how's the knee?

Playa, how's the knee?

robartbyrrd
robartbyrrd 04/17/08 - 10:02 am
Also Karma, always heard not

Also Karma, always heard not to plant on a waning moon.

RollTide
RollTide 04/17/08 - 10:09 am
My grandpa always planted on

My grandpa always planted on the second Sunday in April, before the summer solstice, after the third blue moon of the year, when all the planets were lined up causing a total eclipse of the moon and sun, right after the last frost, when his groundhog started shedding his winter coat.

swolf612000
swolf612000 04/17/08 - 10:10 am
Good morning everyone!

Good morning everyone! Double D - big congrats on pulling off the single parent while doing Drill duty. I understand how rough that must've been - my guy and my best friend's hubby both did 3 years. During that time, when someone asked how long we'd been together, the answer was "Well, two years if you're counting time, two months if you're counting time spent together!"

sjones1
sjones1 04/17/08 - 10:17 am
they cancelled the show

they cancelled the show "Chicago" i don't know why, i guess they didn't sell enough tickets, but i would have loved to see it myself. Oh and about the Alt. school parent, i'm usually not one to judge peoples parenting skills but i must say that if you want to make sure your child eats then you need to make sure your child eats before they leave home. I can only assume that they child is over 10 years old and should know hoe to do something for him or herself in the morning, i know the parent is not still dressing the child.... and on the paper sellers, i don't personally buy alot of papers but i don't look down on them because i know it must take alot to get out there and stand or sit on the corners and sell those papers, I'm glad to see the thought of "the working man is a sucker" has not affected everyone.

PTHS2
PTHS2 04/17/08 - 10:20 am
sjones1 - Any idea why they

sjones1 - Any idea why they sent out an email TODAY on "Chicago"? I guess I'll call the number and see what they say.

hopelee08
hopelee08 04/17/08 - 10:26 am
it's not bringed

it's not bringed either...it's bringded! goodness get it right.

opinions
opinions 04/17/08 - 10:29 am
I wonder what happened to the

I wonder what happened to the " For the record" in the Richmond County Neighbors section? Need to see if I've been arrested for something? Obits are here, I know I'm not dead. Good morning to all.

PTHS2
PTHS2 04/17/08 - 10:30 am
I just spoke to a

I just spoke to a representative at Ticketmaster about the "Chicago, The Musical" show for tomorrow. He maintains that it's still on and they are still selling tickets for it. If you have confirmed info to the contrary, sjones1, I'd be interested to hear the source. And please don't tell me Sen Obama's campaign site.

PlayaFace
PlayaFace 04/17/08 - 10:32 am
the knee is killing me!!! i

the knee is killing me!!! i got some icy/hot things and alieve but no luck. thanks for the website pths

Jillian
Jillian 04/17/08 - 10:39 am
Why couldn't the parents who

Why couldn't the parents who are concerned about the kids being hungry get together and buy a few boxes of pop tarts, a case of bananas, or a few dozen bagels to set up a table by the security checkpoint? Is that rocket science? Sheesh. There is a reason your kid is assigned to an alternative school, but that doesn't mean you have to be as dumb as they are, does it?

RollTide
RollTide 04/17/08 - 10:39 am
That sux. You going to the

That sux. You going to the doc with it?

DoubleD
DoubleD 04/17/08 - 10:40 am
FYI, new recruits to the

FYI, new recruits to the Army, specifically the ones I teach, are getting $20K sign on bonuses. Just an idea incase you know anyone interested. We are currently hiring. This serves as no benefit to me, I just wanted to share.

What4
What4 04/17/08 - 10:41 am
I was never served breakfast

I was never served breakfast at school!! Had to buy lunch..and now I pay for these kids to have a free breakfast and lunch on me every day. And they still complain.

PTHS2
PTHS2 04/17/08 - 10:46 am
DD - Here are my

DD - Here are my stipulations. No P/T. I must be able to wear saggy BDU's in whatever pattern I choose on any paticular day. No more than 8 hours of duty per day. All religious and ethnic holidays off. No deployments unless approved by me in advance. Deployments will also require compensatory time off. Also, the duty day must start late enough so I can make breakfast for my kid. Oh yeah, if I ever get a bad NCOER, I will appeal it because you never gave me a chance. Good luck, brother.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 04/17/08 - 10:46 am
The For the Records section

The For the Records section isn't always included. It's supposed to be in there on Thursdays when it runs, though.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 04/17/08 - 10:47 am
As for the people selling

As for the people selling papers at redlights, I don't know what they make per paper but look at the market. I've watched the ones who hustle and they sell from 8 to 12 papers per redlight. Now if they get 25 cents per paper and red lights change on an average of every 3 minutes then that comes to 20 sales sessions per hours at $2 to $3 per session. That's $40 to $60 per hour. Where can I get my stack of papers?

PlayaFace
PlayaFace 04/17/08 - 10:49 am
i already had a check up

i already had a check up appointment for monday so i will just ask the doc to check it out then

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 04/17/08 - 10:52 am
And according to the official

And according to the official CBBP Dikshunairy it "brungit".
Now I hope this settles this petty arguement once and for all and arnt' ya'll glad for my dikshunairy andd that Ah brungit wit me!

DoubleD
DoubleD 04/17/08 - 10:55 am
PTHS, I hate all of that BS

PTHS, I hate all of that BS too, but it's really not that bad of a gig for a young guy. In SATCOM they get 20K for 4 years. College money(you could complete the degree while on Active Duty free and transfer the college fund to your spouse.) I can't count on my hands how many of my peers and former Soldiers got out and now clear 6 figures; some with zero college. It just gives a motivated person a hell of a jumpstart on the way to a good life outside the military. Also I have a completely different view on national and international problems after having to put on the uniform myself.

RollTide
RollTide 04/17/08 - 10:55 am
So you brungit widjadidja?

So you brungit widjadidja?

PTHS2
PTHS2 04/17/08 - 10:56 am
CBBP - Will you join me in

CBBP - Will you join me in DD's militia if he agrees to my terms?

sjones1
sjones1 04/17/08 - 10:57 am
PTHS, why would i send you to

PTHS, why would i send you to Sen. Obama's site?????? i was simply stating what I read while driving past the auditorium. So if you have the confirmed information that should be enough for you. BTW if you want to visit Sen. Obama's site to be informed then by all means please do so, do not wait until I tell you to.

PTHS2
PTHS2 04/17/08 - 10:58 am
sjones1 - It was a joke -

sjones1 - It was a joke - please take it as intended. I am curious about the cancellation info though. They are still selling tickets.