Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

THE AUGUSTA ENGINEERING Department said pedestrians have 27 seconds to cross 15th Street. That 27 seconds is to dodge cars since there is no set time for pedestrians to cross with no traffic. We need all traffic directions to stop for 27 seconds.

HOW LOW CAN YOU GO? Auctioning off James Brown's socks and underwear? Leave the man some dignity.

FOR ALL YOU LADIES WHO drive your SUVs and talk on a cell phone, this lady has had enough. From now on I won't avoid the accident due to your stupidity. Hope your insurance is up to date.

THANK YOU TO THE person who paid for my breakfast on April 1 at McDonald's on Highway 56. It was such a surprise when I went to pay and the young man handed me a smiley face card from Hebron Baptist Church. You made my day!

A RAVE FOR ALL Columbia County deputies! You guys ROCK!

I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THANKS for the Richmond County Board of Transportation for getting the kids back and fourth to school every day safely!

A BLURB TELLS US: "Look for our in-depth special section previewing the 2008 Masters Tournament." Had to laugh! What's "deep" about grown men hitting little white balls with sticks?

I AM A MOTHER OF a student at Bungalow Road alternative school. I think it is unfair to the students when there are in line to be searched to enter the building and it goes past 7:25 a.m. The students are not allowed to eat breakfast. Some of the kids don't get to eat at home like others.

TO THOSE WHO LOOK DOWN on the ones out there on Sunday selling papers: I sell papers on Sunday on Wrightsboro Road. I am out there trying to make it. I hope when you all see us out there you don't think bad about us. We are trying to make it. I would just like to thank everyone who buys a Sunday paper from me and my daughter.

A RANT TO THE folks who, when driving up a hill, slow down to 10 mph instead of maintaining the posted speed. Step on the gas please!

crabcakesnfootball
crabcakesnfootball 04/17/08 - 08:15 am
Good morning people!

Good morning people!

426Hemi
426Hemi 04/17/08 - 08:16 am
Sorry, but I don't hear the

Sorry, but I don't hear the hunger pangs of your boneheaded rant about alt. schools. Why is the kid at the school? Did you look at the STARVING kids overseas from the comfort of your gov't-provided home, on your plasma TV? Just assuming here of course!

426Hemi
426Hemi 04/17/08 - 08:18 am
The only reason I'm lookin'

The only reason I'm lookin' down on you paper-pushers is 'cause I'm in truck. Go figure.

prolifer
prolifer 04/17/08 - 08:20 am
lezniack01, obviously you

lezniack01, obviously you didn't get it. Everyone (except the first person that posted the word) knows "brung" is not a word. But we do thank you for attempting to use your "edumacation" to correct the English language. I'm sure you have enlightened many. BTW, this is not about spelling.

Unbelievable
Unbelievable 04/17/08 - 08:26 am
Maybe if the parents were

Maybe if the parents were more actively involved with their children they wouldnt be in an alternative school in the first place. Dont do the crime if you cant do the time. Or dont do the crime if you dont want to stand in line and get searched before school and miss free breakfast because you aint got no pop-tarts at home. There.

crabcakesnfootball
crabcakesnfootball 04/17/08 - 08:28 am
Somehow we always talk about

Somehow we always talk about food!! I need to post some more recipes for you nice folks.

Captain Awesome
Captain Awesome 04/17/08 - 08:33 am
Augusta Resident: Some of

Augusta Resident: Some of those selling papers are homeless. They buy a stack of papers for a reduced cost and sell them on the corners. It's like the movie Newsies. They're doing work and I'm happy they are selling papers every Sunday.

jaschild
jaschild 04/17/08 - 08:34 am
would some of these parents

would some of these parents be willing to give up their drink and smoke to buy their children these convenience foods??

PTHS2
PTHS2 04/17/08 - 08:34 am
Unbelievable - "ParentS" is

Unbelievable - "ParentS" is not a word that often comes in to play in urban culture and alternative schools based on my personal observations. (and as many news stories and YDC admission packages as you care to read)

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 04/17/08 - 08:48 am
Wow, aren't we up bright and

Wow, aren't we up bright and early with the rants around here. I had to laugh at Double D's comment about the crossing. I agree and would shout "Run, Forest, RUN!" but here is another thing I noticed, how about the cars actually STOPPING at a stop sign or at a traffic light instead of doing the California roll?? I mean, waiting a few more seconds at the light isn't exactly going to make you late to work is it??? If so, then leave a few more minutes EARLIER!

badrabbitt1
badrabbitt1 04/17/08 - 08:52 am
It's not "brung" it's

It's not "brung" it's "bringed"......jeez

DRAMAMAMA
DRAMAMAMA 04/17/08 - 08:53 am
Nope it was a woman. She was

Nope it was a woman. She was recently in the news because finally some parents complained about it to them. We had been complaining to the school and nothing was done and finally as soon as the media gets involved they do something about it.

PlayaFace
PlayaFace 04/17/08 - 08:59 am
morning crabby

morning crabby

dani
dani 04/17/08 - 09:00 am
Be kind folks, it is a

Be kind folks, it is a gorgeous sunny day. We don't know what the parent goes through each day or what they have gone through in the past with the child who needs breakfast. Some people just aren't mentally capable of coping with a troublesome child. :) Still, it would be nice if parents would be willing to assume more responsibility.

PTHS2
PTHS2 04/17/08 - 09:07 am
Okay, so I JUST get an

Okay, so I JUST get an robo-email from the AC advertising a performance of "Chicago" TOMORROW at the Bell Auditorum. Have I had my head buried in the sand and missed other promotions for this event?

crabcakesnfootball
crabcakesnfootball 04/17/08 - 09:14 am
Hi Playa!, I think it is "dun

Hi Playa!, I think it is "dun brung it" as in where is CBBP and why has he not dun brung the doughnuts and Lithium smoothies!

PTHS2
PTHS2 04/17/08 - 09:14 am
Look y'all - "toted it" is

Look y'all - "toted it" is correct.

crabcakesnfootball
crabcakesnfootball 04/17/08 - 09:15 am
dani, thats why they make

dani, thats why they make tazers and rubber bullets or is it razors and chubby chickens? Heck they are all fun.

DoubleD
DoubleD 04/17/08 - 09:23 am
I like dani's comments.

I like dani's comments.

PAW
PAW 04/17/08 - 09:25 am
Those paper people should get

Those paper people should get a real job and stop blaming hard working people for not buying papers. " I'm just trying to make it", if that isn't the most ignorant thing I ever heard. you want to make it - stay in school, go to college and get a real job. stop letting the GOVT. take care of you and your problems. Selling papers is not a job, it's a HOBBY!!!!

WILKES
WILKES 04/17/08 - 09:25 am
To the ranter about those who

To the ranter about those who slow down going up hill. If you drive by the rpm's you can save gas. It just makes common sense to drive with habits that will save you money. Taking off at red lights like you are in a race, getting the rpm's too high going up hill and not coasting down hill will cost you money. Of course this takes a little thinking as you drive not just holding the wheel. A little planning and thought can save you money.

SuperG151
SuperG151 04/17/08 - 09:26 am
I know PTHS! That was the

I know PTHS! That was the first I had heard or seen of Chicago coming! I thought I missed something too.

tmlad
tmlad 04/17/08 - 09:29 am
I thought it was "broughten".

I thought it was "broughten".

tmlad
tmlad 04/17/08 - 09:30 am
Hey PTHS, I don't think there

Hey PTHS, I don't think there were any promotions for "Chicago". I work on the event staff and wasn't even aware of it until I received the email. No matter, I'll be at the Colts game anyway.

DoubleD
DoubleD 04/17/08 - 09:31 am
I think that going to school

I think that going to school is archaic. It should be taught through distance learning and computer based training. You can have automated labs, one instructor to communicate with if you have difficulties, etc... We could save so much money instead of paying teachers, bus drivers, and lunch ladies. This is the age of automation and CELL PHONES. I can earn a college degree without setting foot in a classroom, so should the children. Then we could allow children as young as 10 to join the workforce while going to school on the side.

PTHS2
PTHS2 04/17/08 - 09:34 am
Why don't we swap the first 9

Why don't we swap the first 9 Sunday paper sellers we come across for the CA? At least they understand how to market their product.

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 04/17/08 - 09:37 am
lmao @ "brung" hahahaha

lmao @ "brung" hahahaha

karmakills123
karmakills123 04/17/08 - 09:38 am
OT>>>>>>> I am getting ready

OT>>>>>>> I am getting ready to plant a garden...anyone know the old almanac addage about when to plant green beans?

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 04/17/08 - 09:38 am
I loved the movie "Chicago"

I loved the movie "Chicago" and it was awesome on Broadway. I heard about it coming to Augusta, but I didn't buy tickets.

PTHS2
PTHS2 04/17/08 - 09:40 am
karma - during the last full

karma - during the last full moon