Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

THE AUGUSTA ENGINEERING Department said pedestrians have 27 seconds to cross 15th Street. That 27 seconds is to dodge cars since there is no set time for pedestrians to cross with no traffic. We need all traffic directions to stop for 27 seconds.

HOW LOW CAN YOU GO? Auctioning off James Brown's socks and underwear? Leave the man some dignity.

FOR ALL YOU LADIES WHO drive your SUVs and talk on a cell phone, this lady has had enough. From now on I won't avoid the accident due to your stupidity. Hope your insurance is up to date.

THANK YOU TO THE person who paid for my breakfast on April 1 at McDonald's on Highway 56. It was such a surprise when I went to pay and the young man handed me a smiley face card from Hebron Baptist Church. You made my day!

A RAVE FOR ALL Columbia County deputies! You guys ROCK!

I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THANKS for the Richmond County Board of Transportation for getting the kids back and fourth to school every day safely!

I AM A MOTHER OF a student at Bungalow Road alternative school. I think it is unfair to the students when there are in line to be searched to enter the building and it goes past 7:25 a.m. The students are not allowed to eat breakfast. Some of the kids don't get to eat at home like others.

TO THOSE WHO LOOK DOWN on the ones out there on Sunday selling papers: I sell papers on Sunday on Wrightsboro Road. I am out there trying to make it. I hope when you all see us out there you don't think bad about us. We are trying to make it. I would just like to thank everyone who buys a Sunday paper from me and my daughter.

A RANT TO THE folks who, when driving up a hill, slow down to 10 mph instead of maintaining the posted speed. Step on the gas please!

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 04/17/08 - 03:57 am
Re: #8: And, in this day of

Re: #8: And, in this day of food stamps and WIC, why don't some kids get to eat at home like others?

namaste
namaste 04/17/08 - 04:26 am
Some vehicles just don't have

Some vehicles just don't have that umph it takes to get up hills.
Morning everyone.

shedaisy
shedaisy 04/17/08 - 04:50 am
Suppose there is no search of

Suppose there is no search of these students and one has brung a weapon and kills someone (student or teacher), you are worried about breakfast? A dead student won't have to worry about breakfast at home or at school. I am sure that the school makes sure that these kids eat.

prolifer
prolifer 04/17/08 - 05:26 am
Haven't had coffee or

Haven't had coffee or anything else this morning but the thought that someone could brung something to school has already let me know it's going to be a heck of a day.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/17/08 - 05:56 am
If the student gets to the

If the student gets to the school early enough, he can be searched (like everyone else) and still eat breakfast. Get out of bed earlier mom.

shedaisy
shedaisy 04/17/08 - 05:58 am
LOL Profiler. please try to

LOL Profiler. please try to have a good day at work!

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/17/08 - 05:59 am
Crossing 15th street is a

Crossing 15th street is a dangerous adventure. Turning vehicles cuts deep into the 27seconds allowed. A raised median would provide for a stopping place for the slower or more cautious pedestrians as well as encourage lame drivers to square their corners.

Martinez
Martinez 04/17/08 - 06:11 am
To the parent or parents at

To the parent or parents at Bungalow that keep ranting about having to drive their kid to school or provide their child breakfast, did the government inpregnant you? It is not the district's responsibility to parent your child. The district is providing you not just a service, but a specialized service seeing as your child couldn't follow the rules like most others do. Instead of complaining, be grateful. Be grateful the district provides an alternative school. If they didn't, your child would be at home all day expelled from school. Then, not only would you have to feed your own kid but you would have to educate him or her too. Heck, the State of GA even provides online home school classes now but you would probably complain about that too because after all - who would babysit the kid to make sure he or she did the work and then there would still be the problem of who is going to feed the kid. Stop complaining and be a parent.

cricketflea
cricketflea 04/17/08 - 06:15 am
Hmmm...27 seconds??? My

Hmmm...27 seconds??? My suggestion??? Run Forrest, run!!! That's the way I see it...have a good morning!!

lezniack01
lezniack01 04/17/08 - 06:44 am
Could you folks please stop

Could you folks please stop butchering our English language ? There is no such word as "brung". The word should be "brought".

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 04/17/08 - 06:48 am
To the Lady selling the

To the Lady selling the Sunday paper, Thank You! As far as people talking on cell phones while driving, someone read my mind! 27 Seconds sounds like a new movie title. And if you can't get up early enough and plan your day well enough to feed your kid before taking them to school then you are setting the bad example. Shame on you. It seems that your mind is more narrow than the string on your thong!

workingmom
workingmom 04/17/08 - 07:03 am
Students at alternative

Students at alternative schools have lost the privilege of attending regular schools. Being searched is one of the CONSEQUENCES for their poor choices. As for not being fed, have you ever heard of pop-tarts, ready to eat cereal bars, or perhaps a piece of toast? Get real!

sliique
sliique 04/17/08 - 07:15 am
I'd like to add to Post #

I'd like to add to Post # 3....And, please get OUT of the passing lane while you're doing it. Then, at least, some people can maintain the speed limit.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 04/17/08 - 07:18 am
craig everyone doesn't get

craig everyone doesn't get wic and foodstamps, so your point is? And for some kids who have parents that work early mornings they can't be home to prepare a hot breakfast. I agree that is not the responsibility of the school, and the parents should make sure their kid gets to school early enough to allow time for a search. But I think the purpose of creating the school breakfast program was because some kids were not receiving breakfast at home. And there is no such word as "inpregnant"either, since were correcting things here, it's impregnate.

sliique
sliique 04/17/08 - 07:18 am
Drat! Forgive me. Since the

Drat! Forgive me. Since the Chronicle people see fit to NOT print my "pet," Rant, here: Chronicle, YOU own the North Augusta Today. PLEASE STOP littering people's properties with that TRASH tabloid. Put them in stores like the Real Estate mags, NOT litter people's properties with your UNWANTED trash!

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/17/08 - 07:26 am
The purpose of the school

The purpose of the school breakfast program is the same as most other social programs....vote buying.

jaschild
jaschild 04/17/08 - 07:30 am
food vs safety (that's a

food vs safety (that's a tough one)- and would you also happen to be the parent who would be the first to file a lawsuit if your child (God forbid) were ever harmed or shot at school??
fixing a bowl of cereal or toast is not rocket science. could this simply be one of the consequences for their actions - how much more would you like the school system to cater to your child??

DoubleD
DoubleD 04/17/08 - 07:34 am
I throw those stupid papers

I throw those stupid papers right out into the street to create an eyesore. Afterall, I'm not the one throwing that garbage around. I actually saw those guys driving through late at night and told them to stop, but it didn't do any good. Maybe it's time they have a talk with the XD, whadya think RollTide? I would rather have a dog crap on my lawn than a paper that I don' t want thrown on it. At least the grass will be greener.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 04/17/08 - 07:38 am
It's gonna be one of those

It's gonna be one of those days if the spelling police are going to be here.

DoubleD
DoubleD 04/17/08 - 07:38 am
People are spoiled

People are spoiled everywhere! They think that all of these conveniences are their rights. I was a single parent and Drill Sergeant at the same time. Getting up at 345 am daily, and if I was home by 730 PM that was a good day. I put in 70-90 hours per week. I don't know how I was able to manage child care and school at the same time. People have to be creative and seek assistance. You can't cook breakfast or get your child to school earlier, and I understand that, but you have to think of alternatives. Example: as mentioned above, the cereal bars and poptarts. It may not be what you want, but it is something in their stomachs. Or cook some bacon and scramble some eggs the night before then throw it in the microwave for 1 min so they have a warm breakfast when they wake up.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 04/17/08 - 07:39 am
Some of those paper people

Some of those paper people look like a homeless person that stole a stack of papers.

robartbyrrd
robartbyrrd 04/17/08 - 07:43 am
free breakfast, free lunch,

free breakfast, free lunch, that's what my tax money goes for. I have to agree with PT. As for Panther's comment, it's called parenting, you had them, parent them. If it means getting out of bed earlier or have a plan for someone to get your child to school on time, It is your responsibility.

DoubleD
DoubleD 04/17/08 - 07:52 am
Good Morning Augusta Res.

Good Morning Augusta Res.

shedaisy
shedaisy 04/17/08 - 07:52 am
lezniak01, and to who ever

lezniak01, and to who ever has a problem with what I said, I had just worked a 12 hour shift, and was tired, besides who cares how I said it? What matters is the point of food v. safety.

DRAMAMAMA
DRAMAMAMA 04/17/08 - 07:57 am
Number one: Their child must

Number one: Their child must not go to Gracewood Elementary where my sons bus driver was the worst driver ever and finally is no longer there. Number two: Good for the people selling papers on Sunday. It's a good honest way of making money instead of being out there stealing, doing drugs or even prostituting!! I'll buy a paper from you any day!!!! And number three: Searching children? I'm sorry to say it but it's about time!!! There are too many sick and delinquent children out there. Maybe this will put a stop to it...

DoubleD
DoubleD 04/17/08 - 08:04 am
Dramamama, was your childs

Dramamama, was your childs bus driver a man? My son's bus driver recently changed to a woman driver. We had nothing but problems with that last A hole. I'll see you all in 45 min. Gotta go to work.

sandbox
sandbox 04/17/08 - 08:06 am
Hey, Hey, Hey, how old is

Hey, Hey, Hey, how old is this student? I can't think of any reason why this person can't put milk and cereal together or toast the bread. After all, this is the person who that goes to this school. For whatever reason. Last choice would be to get themselves up earlier to prepare the meal.

426Hemi
426Hemi 04/17/08 - 08:07 am
They left JB some dignity-his

They left JB some dignity-his undies were clean!

PlayaFace
PlayaFace 04/17/08 - 08:08 am
give the kid a banana and

give the kid a banana and send him on his way... bananas are very filling and quite tasty.. mmmmm

426Hemi
426Hemi 04/17/08 - 08:12 am
A BLURB TELLS US: "Look for

A BLURB TELLS US: "Look for our in-depth special section previewing the 2008 Masters Tournament." Had to laugh! What's "deep" about grown men hitting little white balls with sticks? THEIR POCKETS!!!!