Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

A BIG THANK-YOU to the nice people at The Fresh Market, especially Tom for loaning his cell phone to us so we could track down our lost and very late shuttle on Wednesday afternoon after the Masters.

MY HUSBAND AND I just arrived back home in Pennsylvania after a wonderful first-time visit to Augusta and the Masters Tournament. We were thrilled to experience the grandeur of the Augusta National Golf Club and the superb hospitality of the Augusta residents.

OBVIOUSLY, ALL WISH well for the new federal Judge James Randall Hall. Alas, he was recommended by two foes of the people, the two Georgia senators, and appointed by the notorious bozo George Bush.

A HUGE RAVE to Richmond County Recreation Department. I love all the senior events you offer at your community centers. The Brigham Center fitness center is FABULOUS. I have no excuse to be chubby any more!

I WOULDN'T FIRE those guys for tying up their firefighter bud, I'd fire them for putting it on the Internet.

THANKS TO THE CHRONICLE and Toyota of Augusta for the fun 3-D section in the paper! Made me feel like a kid again looking through the View-Master!

DON'T GET ME WRONG, I do sympathize with the victims and their families but I don't understand why Virginia is paying the victims of the shooting at VA Tech at all. It wasn't the state's fault that a gunman decided to shoot the place up. This is just another example of taxpayers carrying another burden that is not theirs to carry.

RAVES to Judge Marvin Arrington of Fulton County for his evangelical efforts to put an end to the terrible waste of young minds in Fulton County.

THIS IS A RAVE to Dr. Grayson Brown, DVM, of Martinez Animal Hospital, who went out of his way to euthanize our beloved family pet AFTER his office hours in the comfort of our own home. He and his staff exhibited such compassion and professionalism to the extent of ensuring proper arrangements were made as well as comforting and ensuring family members at this difficult time in our lives.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 04/16/08 - 06:21 am
I thought Virginia Tech was

I thought Virginia Tech was paying the victims and not the state of Virginia. They paid them because they have a responsibility to protect their students and faculty when they are on campus. That's what they have security officers for.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/16/08 - 06:23 am
what a foolish and

what a foolish and contradictory comment concerning Judge Hall. Democrats are unabashedly odd.

PAW
PAW 04/16/08 - 06:23 am
Check this out, Yesterday

Check this out, Yesterday Richmond County Sheriff Department put up speed traps on I-20 at the same time we had break ins, murders, kid with guns and a countless of other senseless crimes. DOES MAKING YOUR QUOTA MATTER THAT MUCH?????.......... Oh Yeah! Kudos to the Fair Tax Supporters

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/16/08 - 06:26 am
Virginia Tech passed a rule

Virginia Tech passed a rule that only the lawless were allowed to have guns. Since security can't be everywhere all of the time and students weren't allowed to protect themselves, the school accepts the responsibility for the deaths. Nothing has changed there. The same thing could happen today.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/16/08 - 06:30 am
PAW, how are the police

PAW, how are the police supposed to be everywhere all of the time. If they didn't try to control the speeding through the construction zone, they'd be criticized for that too.

PTHS2
PTHS2 04/16/08 - 06:45 am
A thought for the day:

A thought for the day: cartoon character Ziggy advises, "You can complain because roses have thorns or you can rejoice because thorns have roses."

shivas
shivas 04/16/08 - 07:10 am
Again patriciathomas you show

Again patriciathomas you show your ignorance. VT was found negligent to warn students and respond after the report of the first shooting. Remember he went all the way to the other side of the campus to continue the rampage. And of course, because of the lax gun laws in Va., it was easy for this psychiatrically disabled individual to get a gun. Stricter gun laws could have prevented this episode.

DoubleD
DoubleD 04/16/08 - 07:14 am
I have a few family members

I have a few family members that I wouldn't mind getting killed. Hell, I'll get on T.V. and cry if that's what it takes to get me 11Mil.

DoubleD
DoubleD 04/16/08 - 07:17 am
I complain that I love hot

I complain that I love hot sauce, but it burns me the next day.

CSRAider
CSRAider 04/16/08 - 07:21 am
I had a wonderful day

I had a wonderful day yesterday dont yall ruin it. AHHHH COFFEEEEEEE!

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/16/08 - 07:24 am
The school rules say only

The school rules say only those breaking the rule can have guns and the rest of the students have to take their chances that the security police will protect them. That's not ignorance shivas, that's fact. Look up the word 'ignorance'. You'll apparently be surprised at the definition.

Republicant
Republicant 04/16/08 - 07:35 am
For those of you that a

For those of you that a golfer has to be a jesus freak and not curse to have character, Tiger almost won the Masters playing an average game by his standards. Immelman played the game of his life and he deserved the win, but Tiger almost got him. Turns out he was playing with a bum knee and will be out for 4-6 weeks after his arthroscopic surgery. That my friend is character, doesn't have anything to do with jesus.

devilishlymad67
devilishlymad67 04/16/08 - 07:36 am
Stricter gun laws only allow

Stricter gun laws only allow the criminials easier access and deny law abiding citizens the right to protect their children and their homes. Criminials dont' care about laws, when will the dim-witted gun-control advocates understand that? Laws only are used on the good citizens. Your criminial element is going to take no notice.

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 04/16/08 - 07:44 am
PT, I see you have a crystal

PT, I see you have a crystal ball. How do you know this person was a Democrat?

Republicant
Republicant 04/16/08 - 07:46 am
5 day waiting period? But I'm

5 day waiting period? But I'm angry now!!!
--Homer Simpson

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 04/16/08 - 07:48 am
DOUBLE D, I hope that you

DOUBLE D, I hope that you never have a chance to find out, whether your ststement is true.

christian134
christian134 04/16/08 - 07:48 am
Stricter gun laws.....That

Stricter gun laws.....That has been and always will be a stupid statement....My word the criminal element have access to more weapons, more powerful weapons than many in law enforcement...Leave my weapon alone...My families safety comes first....:-)

dani
dani 04/16/08 - 07:50 am
Republicant...Most in Augusta

Republicant...Most in Augusta would agree with you. Tiger has long been a big favorite locally. He has my respect and let us hope that his knee will be as good as new after his ordeal. BTW. Read up on Immelman and the hardships he has been through. He's pretty admirable, himself.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/16/08 - 07:55 am
Hypo, do you think the

Hypo, do you think the comment about Judge Hall takes a crystal ball or well developed deductive reasoning to understand?

DoubleD
DoubleD 04/16/08 - 08:06 am
If I do find out, I'll be a

If I do find out, I'll be a rich man. Then I'll ghettoize my car and have "In loving memory of Baby D, 1974 -2008" By the way, what's up with that? Are people didicating their cars to the memory of loved ones?

DoubleD
DoubleD 04/16/08 - 08:08 am
On to gun laws, wasn't it

On to gun laws, wasn't it Australia that had violent crimes go up 400% after their gun ban?

Republicant
Republicant 04/16/08 - 08:09 am
For anyone who is confused

For anyone who is confused about my Tiger message, it is in response to an article yesterday about who has Character in golf.

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 04/16/08 - 08:21 am
I could just as well state

I could just as well state that it came from Austin Rhodes, who has a great dislike for Hall, or that a person that consider themself to be an Independent voter or thinker. But we all know to you, Democrats are the roots of all that is evil in this world.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/16/08 - 08:31 am
Well, you could state

Well, you could state anything you wish, but would it be relevant to the posted rant? Is the comment really that much of a mystery to you? Democrats are not the root of all evil. Todays Democratic Party is controlled by the Marxist left and socialism is in direct conflict with the American way of life. Of course most of my comments are anti-socialist. I'm an American, no hyphen.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 04/16/08 - 08:45 am
Blah,blah.blah...what I want

Blah,blah.blah...what I want to know is...did anyone solve the late shuttle caper???? This could be huge. Was it held up by the speed trap on I-20? Was the driver side tracked by the Senior fitness Center? Was this the same shuttle that took Judge Hall by to see the notorious Bozo who was visiting that lovely couple in Pa?

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 04/16/08 - 08:53 am
So am I, no hyphen. Now what,

So am I, no hyphen. Now what, we both get a cookie?

shivas
shivas 04/16/08 - 08:54 am
Re-stating your ignorant

Re-stating your ignorant comment on VT makes it read no more sensibly or intelligent than when you first wrote it Ms. patriciathomas. The far-right (failed) Republican party most closely resembles a Stalinist Communist regime. Calling for spying on citizens, limiting citizens rights, exempting large corporations from liability when helping the govt. spy on citizens, using torture against prisoners, calling people who disagree with the war in Iraq inpatriotic, on and on and on, is the mantra of failure. Stick with typical far-right subjects such as gay marriage and abortion, and leave the serious subjects to those Democrats who will have to fix this mess created over the past 8 years, and bring it's honor back.

Fire n Ice
Fire n Ice 04/16/08 - 08:54 am
Yes, yes, yes, and yes. I

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. I guess!

iknewyourmother
iknewyourmother 04/16/08 - 08:56 am
patriciathomas, doesn't

patriciathomas, doesn't nearly every college campus in the US have an imaginary "rule" similar to what you claim exists at VT? How do UGa and GT address the issue of weapons on campus? So under your nonsensical and illogical approach, the lack of a rule expressly stating one thing means the opposite of the rule must be impliedly permitted. You are woman of real genius. Fortunately for us you aren't responsible for making policy anywhere (or at least I hope you aren't).

HOPE
HOPE 04/16/08 - 09:14 am
I have a question for all of

I have a question for all of America. How long are we going to put up with the big oil companies price gouging. Something has to be done the top three big oil companies Exxon, BP and Shell posted their largest profits in their company's history to the amount of 100 billion dollars for 2007 and they are going to exceed that profit this year. Something has to be done about this. America is broke and it looks like nothing is being done to help our economy. The president and congress and senate are sitting on their butt's claiming the oil companies are not price gouging because they have to recover from hurricane Katrina which is nothing but a bunch of B.S. . WAKE UP AMERICA WE ARE IN DEEP TROUBLE. Our current Leader's are not going to do anything to help us. WE HAVE TO PUT A STOP TO THIS. GET OFF OUR BEHINDS AND VOTE THESE LAZY BUTT'S OUT WHEN THEY COMEUP FOR RE-ELECTION. President bush doesn't give a a sh-t he is on his way out. America needs to put the squeeze back on them by not buying gas. If we can go to buying gas once a week it will hurt their pocket books bad. We also need to have Iraq to start paying back all the billions we have spent on helping them with oil .