Rants and raves

Comments from our readers.

I SPENT MONDAY AT the practice round and was incredibly impressed -- not just with the beauty of the course and the tremendous condition it is in, but with the organization of every aspect of my visit -- from going to the men's room to buying a sandwich and a Coke. Thanks to everyone there for making Augusta National the great place it is.

HOMELESSNESS IS A political problem that the politicians are famous for ignoring. Homelessness affects the morale of taxpaying voters who live around them. Politicians, whose votes are you courting ?

A HUGE RAVE FOR the new format of The Chronicle , especially page 2 which highlights the important stories of the day. The paper is now more inviting and readable.

DIRECTV MAY NOT be your choice but they have one employee, Shawn Jimenez, who will go the distance for their customers. He answers his phone, is very courteous, keeps appointments, is a man of his word, takes care of any problems, and maintains a professional manner at all times. Thank you, Shawn.

A HUGE RANT FOR commissioners. Every major metropolitan city in the country has at least one dog park. No one uses the Botanical Gardens as it is. I live downtown, and walk there three times a week, and never see anyone else. Why can't our dogs have a place to exercise and play?

A BIG RAVE FOR Elliott at the Grovetown Post Office. He is such a jewel. He always greets you with a big smile on his face as soon as you walk in the door. Keep up your great work, Elliott, you are truly a charm!

A HUGE RAVE TO THE family that found our neighbor's wallet on Glenn Hills Drive and returned it, completely intact! What a WONDERFUL example these parents are setting.

IF EVOLUTION IS TRUE, why do we have a seven-day week? Animals don't.

ARE PEOPLE "anti-pet" or anti-paying for other people's pets?

TENNESSEE AND GEORGIA are at odds about where our common border lies. Will this get worked out in a civilized manner, or will we find ourselves in another war?

sliique
sliique 04/13/08 - 06:11 am
Chronicle, you OWN the North

Chronicle, you OWN the North Augusta Today tabloid. PLEASE have them stop LITTERING people's properties, all over North Augusta, Aiken, etc., by throwing that junk paper, UNSOLICITED, on people's properties EVERY week!

BET this doesn't make the Rants & Raves, simply because it's critical of the Chronicle!

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/13/08 - 06:12 am
To doggie poster. If you walk

To doggie poster. If you walk there three times a week, it sounds like you already use the gardens as a dog park. Also, when you bought your dog, did you take available space into consideration?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/13/08 - 06:14 am
All of my animals have a

All of my animals have a seven day week.

WhiskyDick
WhiskyDick 04/13/08 - 06:25 am
San Francisco has "cared" for

San Francisco has "cared" for the homeless for years, and now the city is littered with them. Giving free care to people doesn't solve their problems - it actually encourages them.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 04/13/08 - 06:43 am
Good news about Glenn Hills

Good news about Glenn Hills Drive. Nice to hear.

karmakills123
karmakills123 04/13/08 - 07:15 am
for

for sliique...................

There is a number for you to call to stop the littering of your neighborhood with unwanted papers....its on the front of the shopper and the Na star...we finally got it stopped in my area it takes more than one call. I even caught up with those throwing them and asked tham to stop.....worked for a while but you have to call...and call.......

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 04/13/08 - 07:24 am
I want to thank the AC for

I want to thank the AC for posting the rave that the kind family called in to post, ever so kindly, that it was ever so honest that a family on Glenn Hills drive has a jewel of a kid to so kindly turn over their neighbors wallet. The neighbor of who the wallet belonged also wants to thank the nice kid, and their mom and or dad, who turned the wallet in, and to thank the neighbor who was kind enough to call in the rave to the AC. Thank you.

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 04/13/08 - 07:25 am
They do, it is called your

They do, it is called your own back yard.

schmuck
schmuck 04/13/08 - 07:25 am
I would like to know what is

I would like to know what is wrong with this town. Last night I attended one of the most exciting hockey games I've seen in 35 years of watching hockey (Lynx beating Stingrays in overtime in second game of current playoff series), but since this town is so obsessed with the Masters to the exclusion and detriment of everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) else, there was no mention of the Lynx game in local news telecasts after the game, nor an article yet in this morning's on-line Chronicle. A town that treats all sports (other than the Masters) and entertainment happenings as social events rather than things worth attending and following in their own rite is doomed to remain minor league.

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 04/13/08 - 07:28 am
In answer to the "PET" rant

In answer to the "PET" rant and rave post. BOTH.

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 04/13/08 - 07:38 am
schmuck. They are just a

schmuck. They are just a BUNCH OF SCHMUCKS, aren't they. And NO, not EVERYTHING is about the MASTERS. If you pick up the paper you can read all sorts of goodies. Like the rant and rave column here.

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 04/13/08 - 08:09 am
Well how many days does an

Well how many days does an animal have in one week, then?

momma mia
momma mia 04/13/08 - 08:12 am
sliique, look in the North

sliique, look in the North Augusta Today paper and call the number there to get them to stop throwing the paper in your yard. I have a circular drive, and they used to throw a paper at each end. It took me at least 5 or 6 calls to finally get them to stop doing it. Instead of getting just one paper, like I'd asked for, I now get NO North Augusta Today. So, while I didn't get what I asked for, I'm not getting a bunch of litter tossed in my yard anymore either.

uptheseventhplanet
uptheseventhplanet 04/13/08 - 08:38 am
To the ranter about the lack

To the ranter about the lack of a dog park in Augusta: I believe the place for your dog to exercise and play is called "your yard". If you don't have a suitable place for your dog to play and exercise you probably shouldn't have a dog. Why should your problem be the community's problem?

catfish20
catfish20 04/13/08 - 08:47 am
Dog Park ...do you pick up

Dog Park ...do you pick up after your dog? I don't think so because I see what your dog leaves behind.

DoubleD
DoubleD 04/13/08 - 09:01 am
Schmuck, don't worry. You

Schmuck, don't worry. You and I know golf is a gentleman's sport, and by gentlemen, I mean queer.

PTHS2
PTHS2 04/13/08 - 09:14 am
Double D - I play golf with

Double D - I play golf with some of the Lynx players - you might be surprised.

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 04/13/08 - 09:14 am
So Tiger, Jack, Arnold, Phil,

So Tiger, Jack, Arnold, Phil, Gary and all the rest, are " Queers"?

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 04/13/08 - 09:16 am
Well PTHS, according to

Well PTHS, according to DOUBLE D, you are " Queer".

PTHS2
PTHS2 04/13/08 - 09:16 am
Hypo - Oh well, I guess it

Hypo - Oh well, I guess it just gives me double the chance to find a Saturday night date.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/13/08 - 09:20 am
queers, I didn't know anyone

queers, I didn't know anyone used the term anymore. It sounds funny. golf queers. I don't think I've ever heard that term. This site sure is informative.

Fire n Ice
Fire n Ice 04/13/08 - 09:48 am
WARNING! WARNING! Take

WARNING! WARNING! Take shelter. DANGER approaching....Queer Gentleman Golfer sighted. Take shelter immediately. Queer Gentleman Golfer last sighted near Berkman and Washington Rd. Path headed towards Amen Corner. If you are at, near or around Amen Corner, take shelter immediately. Little white projectiles have already been sighted in the immediate area. Take shelter immediately.

robartbyrrd
robartbyrrd 04/13/08 - 09:48 am
how about golf gays?

how about golf gays?

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 04/13/08 - 10:16 am
I'm checkingout Somewhere for

I'm checkingout Somewhere for lunch. Anyone goona be there?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/13/08 - 10:37 am
that sounds much more

that sounds much more politically correct robartbyrrd. and modern.

johnsmith
johnsmith 04/13/08 - 10:55 am
Homelessness is not a

Homelessness is not a political problem. It is an individual problem. Very few politicians are homeless...

CoachBishop
CoachBishop 04/13/08 - 11:35 am
Homelessnes is a political

Homelessnes is a political problem! It is because of the reasons individuals are homeless. Here are some examples: mental illness, homelessness due to unemployment/ mortgage lapses, medical conditions, abusive relationships, and illiteracy.

TRACIG
TRACIG 04/13/08 - 12:35 pm
RAVE..Hats off to Ronnie

RAVE..Hats off to Ronnie Strength & his team and the 1st response unit for getting Mr. Won from the goshen grocery shooting that took place in Goshen Plantation this week. They did a great job getting here really quick, Closing off Goshen Rd to get Mr. Won out of here to get the medical attention he needed. They stopped every car asking if they seen anyone running from the store. Also, our special thanks to our Goshen Association for the door to door warning telling us to lock all doors & windows because of the dangerous men on loose. We live in a great safe neighborhood and are very proud of it.

johnsmith
johnsmith 04/13/08 - 12:45 pm
CoachBishop...every cause of

CoachBishop...every cause of homelessness that you identified is an INDIVIDUAL problem. While I might be moved to extend charity to those individuals, tell me by what authority you propose to COMPEL such "charity."

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 04/13/08 - 02:47 pm
The new Somewhere in Augusta

The new Somewhere in Augusta passed my inspection. I might go back tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Historic building on Laney campus demolished

The demolition of the 89-year-old Cauley-Wheeler building on the Lucy C. Laney High School campus is over, but the plan for a building that will act as a link to the former site and its story has ...