Rants and raves

Comments from our readers.

A RAVE TO Superintendent Dr. Dana T. Bedden. He is just what Richmond County schools needed. He was officiating at the annual All County Track Meet on Saturday. I have never seen a superintendent serving at that level with our children. I supported him when he arrived in Augusta and seeing him on Saturday further solidified that he is the man that we need leading our school system.

TO THE MAN RIDING his bike in Ivy Falls. Everyone knows that the rules of the road apply to bike riders as well as cars. You should have stopped at the sign, especially when the cross-traffic doesn't stop; next time you may not be so fortunate.

THANK YOU, MR. KIRBY , for your Sunday column about the old Augusta Police Headquarters. My father worked in that building and even though he is retired, I still see a super hero policeman in all black with shiny shoes leaving for work smiling and coming through the door having saved us from all the bad guys for just one more day.

RANT: CAN YOU NOT get a cup of coffee at the new and improved Augusta Regional Airport? If they can't afford to have continual service for a basic snack bar, then put something automated in. Also, I had the pleasure of getting pelted by rain. The overhang at curbside pick-up doesn't extend far enough to cover the driver side. Nice job, engineers.

A RANT TO ALL dog owners who let their dogs off the leash in public areas. My boyfriend and I were riding bikes on the access road between the Savannah River and the Augusta Canal and someone's dog was off the leash. The dog started out chasing my boyfriend's bike and then came after mine and was trying to bite the front tire. I don't blame the dog. I blame the idiots who own the dog.

RANT TO ALL BUSH ranters. Two years ago, Americans voted for change and we got it. Since voting in a Democratic Congress in 2006, we have seen: 1. Consumer confidence plummet; 2. The cost of regular gasoline soar to over $3.50 a gallon; 3. Unemployment is up; 4. American households have seen $2.3 trillion in equity value evaporate (stock and mutual fund losses); 5. Americans have seen their home equity drop by $1.2 trillion dollars; 6.1 percent of American homes are in foreclosure. Go figure!

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 04/04/08 - 04:31 am
Dr. Bedden strikes me as a

Dr. Bedden strikes me as a good guy- with guts. Any new super with the courage to put his child in a private school because of apparent dissatisfaction with his own system's programs has the guts to confront problems and deserves community support.

karmakills123
karmakills123 04/04/08 - 04:59 am
Tis early morning and it's

Tis early morning and it's Friday !!! And even though it's raining ya'll have a good day! ~:0 ) Got the Grandchildren(2) for the entire week of spring break !!! YAY...(I think)

Georgia1964
Georgia1964 04/04/08 - 05:07 am
Jerry Brigham, Joe Boyles,

Jerry Brigham, Joe Boyles, and Joe Jackson, the students of GHHS are glad that you don't represent District 5.

Georgia1964
Georgia1964 04/04/08 - 05:09 am
Hats off to the seven

Hats off to the seven Commissioners (especially Mason and Holland) that thought the efforts of GHHS boys and girls basketball team should be rewarded for winning the Georgia State Championship.

Georgia1964
Georgia1964 04/04/08 - 05:10 am
Looks like 3 of our

Looks like 3 of our Commissioners (Brigham, Boyles, and jackson) need to be put off the bus!

Georgia1964
Georgia1964 04/04/08 - 05:12 am
Joe Bowles worked at an HBCU.

Joe Bowles worked at an HBCU. In case you forgot Commissioner Bowles, the abbreviation stands for: Historically Black Colleges and Universities. Maybe we need to do a better job of screening applicants.

JimCox
JimCox 04/04/08 - 05:27 am
District4citizen, please

District4citizen, please explain exactly why the taxpayers of Augusta should pay for championship rings. All the city should do is give them a proclamation, and what does Joe working at Paine College have to do with anything?

karmakills123
karmakills123 04/04/08 - 05:34 am
district4.....me thinks you

district4.....me thinks you are a day late and a dollar short............

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 04/04/08 - 05:39 am
I don't think tax payers

I don't think tax payers should have to pay for the rings and jackets. That's what bake sales are for. I also agree with Joe, he said it's illegal and we all know what's coming next.

JimCox
JimCox 04/04/08 - 05:41 am
It sounds like

It sounds like District4citizen is implying that only black people should be allowed to work at Paine College.

kevry
kevry 04/04/08 - 05:41 am
Mr.Holland has a short

Mr.Holland has a short memory.The taxpayers didn't pay for his daughters championship ring she earned as a player on the "98 Josey girls basketball team. It was Josey Boosters, alumni, and supporters that purchased the Rings.

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 04/04/08 - 05:42 am
SPRING BREAK!!! Oh I thought

SPRING BREAK!!! Oh I thought it would never GET here! Today is also my payday so I am happy now. Yea-aaah! (Now all I need is my morning coca-cola cause I cannot drink coffee fix and I am really good to go!) Good Morning to ALL!

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 04/04/08 - 05:54 am
Where's my IV needle, ok,

Where's my IV needle, ok, bring in that truckload of coffee. Yep connect to this tube, that's it. MMMMMM smooth. GOOD MORNING AUGUSTA! IT AIN'T DECAF!

joebowles
joebowles 04/04/08 - 06:19 am
The taxpayers also did not

The taxpayers also did not pay for Richmond's State ring 3 years ago when they were ranked number 1 in the nation!!!!. nobody else has ever been number 1 in the nation. I love how people are making personal attacks that have no merit and don't follow my consistent voting pattern against donations to non-profits. It makes me wonder if people understand the role of the government........

joebowles
joebowles 04/04/08 - 06:21 am
District 4 citizen, as for

District 4 citizen, as for personal contributions to HBCU's should we compare our tax returns to see who is more philanthropic?

griesella
griesella 04/04/08 - 06:32 am
Don't you people see? Of

Don't you people see? Of couse they want the taxpayers to pay. If you give to one, you have to give to all. (Hurrah! Gimme the money...) That is what RC is all about. People standing waiting for government to pay their way.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 04/04/08 - 07:00 am
I'd rather see the money go

I'd rather see the money go to students getting rings and jackets than welfare. And joebowles your 7:21 post was so juvenile, are we having a pi@@ing contest next. Who cares who makes more money.

Waffle House
Waffle House 04/04/08 - 07:02 am
You're blaming the lousy

You're blaming the lousy economy on the Congress? Isn't that clown in charge the reason we spend trillions on a war (for no reason) as he and his rich friends (see VP) reap the benefits? Enjoy your time in charge....It'll take years to clean up the Clowns' mess but once we get a Blue person in charge, you'll sit in your house protecting your guns and won't even notice the improved living conditions for all and an end to the war.

everwonderwhy
everwonderwhy 04/04/08 - 07:22 am
What kind of a nut calls our

What kind of a nut calls our president a "clown"? He IS "OUR" president.

wantchangecashadollar
wantchangecashadollar 04/04/08 - 07:24 am
Waffle House...I guess that

Waffle House...I guess that is where you work because you have no idea of how the economy works...Liberals are always spouting how much the war cost, but they never tell you how much of that money would have been spent anyway on salaries, supplies, and training...Congress is in charge of spending not the President...the problems with the economy fall directly on Congress...how about we cut all these Social programs, that will save us a pretty penny...

wantchangecashadollar
wantchangecashadollar 04/04/08 - 07:27 am
Oh yea waffle person...check

Oh yea waffle person...check to see who was the Contractor for all of Clinton's Wars...you know Somalia, Haiti, Bosnia, and Kosovo...same one we have now...so was Clinton making his wife rich (and nasty Michael Moore) since Hillary owns stock in Haliburton? Government education worked for you didn't it...at least this President isn't sending American Troops into harms way just to get his sex and criminal scandals off the TV and out of the news papers...get a grip...this is the worst Congress in the history of the US...and the Dims (pun intended) will pay for it in the Presidental Elections and the next Congressional...Obama and Hillary can not even unite Liberals, how are they going to unite everyone else?

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 04/04/08 - 07:37 am
here's a thought how about

here's a thought how about more money for text books and school supplies???????? if the county/school board is going to spend more $$$. ultimately it's the poor homeowners that are paying for it when my high school won a championship (i am from pennsylvania) the school paid for jackets....

PlayaFace
PlayaFace 04/04/08 - 07:38 am
happy friday everyone. next

happy friday everyone. next week is going to be hell

Waffle House
Waffle House 04/04/08 - 07:42 am
4000 soldiers did not die

4000 soldiers did not die because Clinton had a "friend".

At least he wasn't getting caught in the Minneapolis washroom with another man like your "highly moraled" republican senator.
And weren't there other republican senators also caught recently with little boys?

parrishpoint
parrishpoint 04/04/08 - 07:44 am
This is a rant for the

This is a rant for the educators and staff at Evans High School who allow the students of Evans High School to throw their trash all over the commons floor every morning before the first bell rings. The office looks directly out over this mess that the students create, and immediately after the first bell rings, the staff comes out with the push brooms and mops to clean this mess, daily. I wish the parents of these students would take a look at this disrespectful behavior. These Educators need to teach these students respect for themselves and the property they occupy.

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 04/04/08 - 08:05 am
J10 jeep, explain why in the

J10 jeep, explain why in the hell the taxpayer should pay for a Dog Park? Explain why in the hell we should pay for a Skateboard park? Explain why we spend money on things like is dirt dirty. I tell you what tell me where to send your $1.50 to, that is about what your part was worth.

crazyoldman
crazyoldman 04/04/08 - 08:11 am
All I am saying, is give

All I am saying, is give peace a chance.

Aroundtown
Aroundtown 04/04/08 - 08:21 am
Waffle House,..There are

Waffle House,..There are morally bankrupt people of all sorts out there, senators with prostitutes, child molesters, priests who abuse their position, these are all examples of curruption. I hate it when people pick out someone who is a complete waste of space,.. and because they are one affiliation or another, put it all on the entire party. Democrat or Republican.
That kind of behavior should be looked at above and beyond the position or group that the perpetrator claims he/she is a part of.
A useless peice of &%@$, by any other name, is still a useless piece of &%@$.

He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named
He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named 04/04/08 - 08:21 am
Hypo, you keep using that

Hypo, you keep using that $1.50 argument. You are aware if you actually sent out the $1.50 everytime you said you would, you would be totally broke. That is unless your last name is Trump or Gates. The money adds up Hypo, you don't just keep approving things because you portion of it is small. With all that said, I have only a small problem with the rings. At my High school we won the state championshipin track. The school paid for an addition to be made to our class rings. We paid only the cost of a normal class ring. Maybe something like that would work without taking quite as much tax money. Our society rewards mediocrity so much, shouldn't we give a little recognition to people that actually earned it?

crazyoldman
crazyoldman 04/04/08 - 08:29 am
I just don’t get it. Did you

I just don’t get it. Did you see the fella on the television news that witnessed the shooting at the bank yesterday, (REPORTER: Sir did you see what happened? MAN: Yeah I did.) What kind of person sits and watches this kind of thing happen? I would have broke my lead slinger out and slung some 9mm pieces of Hollow point lead at their butts. At least followed at a safe distance in hopes to help Richmond county’s finest capture them. Come on people the Po Po can’t be everywhere all the time, let’s give them some help. Next time it could be you or your love ones.