Rants and Raves

Comments from our readers.

LET'S ELIMINATE ALL shootings by eliminating all guns. And, while we are at it, let's eliminate: highway deaths by eliminating vehicles; drownings by eliminating swimming pools and boats; drug addiction by eliminating needles; obesity by eliminating eating utensils; and alcoholism by eliminating alcohol. Oh, wait, we tried that with alcohol.

TO THE COMMENT of the Augusta Commission meeting in Aiken, why not? Augusta sucks. Maybe while in Aiken the commissioners can gain some insight and learn how an effective government works.

RAVES TO THE Richmond school board and Dr. Bedden for demonstrating intelligence and courage in recruiting an out-of-state auditor to help them revamp the Richmond County School System.

LET ME ASSURE YOU -- NO ONE you work around wants to hear you popping gum!

IN REFERENCE TO the MCG student who was killed by the city bus. I worked for MCG Public Safety for many years and this is not the first problem concerning pedestrians. Attempts were made years ago to improve pedestrian/vehicle conditions. Some of the problem was with local government, which was uncooperative at the time, and with certain MCG administrators. Also, many foreign students are not familiar with traffic congestion.

SYLVIA COOPER'S COLUMN does cover "Dixie Like the Dew." Early in the morning and mostly all wet!

RAVES TO DR. BEDDEN for his willingness to cooperate with the sheriff's office and the Augusta-Richmond County Transportation Department to reduce school disruptions and the costs of hauling students and municipal bus passengers.

COME ON, HARRISBURG. Get moving and get some things done. You are letting HONG KONG get ahead of you. Get rid of some of the bad business places. Get rid of some more of the drug houses. Start fighting for what we need.

reruns
reruns 03/24/08 - 10:47 am
Stop going to the mall. It

Stop going to the mall. It will shut down too just like Regency did. Trash it up and we won't come.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 03/24/08 - 10:47 am
marshadillon. I guess you'd

marshadillon. I guess you'd have to walk in my shoes. I have had my windows shot out, a bullet in the side of my deck 2 feet from where I was standing and shot at while I was at the local track. It hit the guy behind me in the hand. Someone was shooting at my pets for awhile, injuring them and killing one pet rabbit that way in my backyard when it escaped from its pen. I don't like being startled by anything that sounds like a gunshot. I went to Catholic elementary school and public highschool. Gum was not allowed in either place, so it's not just a Catholic school thing. I don't even remember anyone getting in trouble for having gum, but I was in the advanced classes, so we probably did not have as many disciplinary problems. Sorry to everybody that has read this before, I know I sound like a broken record.

reruns
reruns 03/24/08 - 10:48 am
Stop going to the mall. It

dani
dani 03/24/08 - 10:48 am
I haven't been inside the

I haven't been inside the mall proper in years. I stopped when the young people would form a line and force us into the wall or the rail whichever was more convenient. They never actually touched the shoppers or made comments, it was that they refused to give way, so it was either move or get walked over. I go to Macy's and Dillard's using the outside doors. I also love the new shops. I would love to know that it is back to the place that you can stroll around inside without the hassle.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 03/24/08 - 10:49 am
That's right weekapaugh,

That's right weekapaugh, Island Seafood. If I had a bigger budget, I'd go there more often.

reruns
reruns 03/24/08 - 10:50 am
Island Seafood is a good

Island Seafood is a good place for seafood and if you ask they can tell you how to cook anything they sell. Or they prepare it for you and it is good..

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 03/24/08 - 10:55 am
dani, I'm so glad you posted

dani, I'm so glad you posted that 11:48am about the "refusing to give way." That's exactly what I was talking about. And you know what happens if you complain about it to security.

reruns
reruns 03/24/08 - 10:55 am
Lunch time

Lunch time

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 03/24/08 - 10:56 am
No Longer Amazed, you seem to

No Longer Amazed, you seem to miss the point. It doesn't matter whose turn it is, if the pedestrian and a vehicle occupy the same space at the same time the vehicle will be just fine. Therefore, it behooves the pedestrian to yield, even if they "have the right" to be in the street. IT'S A SURVIVAL THING!!!

DoubleD
DoubleD 03/24/08 - 10:57 am
Augusta Res, thanks for the

Augusta Res, thanks for the pics. Richmond County Res., I'm looking for you next time to shake your hand; sorry I didn't talk with you last time. Now on the the R&Rs. I'm baffled by the fact that anyone would say a SE Asian person isn't familiar with traffic. I haven't been to the mall since November last year.

PTHS2
PTHS2 03/24/08 - 11:04 am
baroness - G'day, dearie.

baroness - G'day, dearie. I've been here and following the posts. Keep trying - I'm not quite ready to take the bait yet. ;-)

dani
dani 03/24/08 - 11:04 am
baroness..Another matter of

baroness..Another matter of survival. You give way. Is it better now? Have you been lately? I have some friends who go in the early hours to walk but that is before the shops open.

Dan White 03/24/08 - 11:09 am
Good morning everyone. Great

Good morning everyone. Great Easter day yesterday! The mall is history. They sent good money after bad with the addition. The thugs, hoodies, and gangs have taken over. Can't even walk down the mall without getting stares and angry looks from them. No more for me. And the shrimp. Watch what you eat. A lot of shrimp is being imported from the South American coast and from Vietnam and China. We went to buy some crawfish to make crawfish etouffee at Publix a few weeks ago. Imported from Vietnam. I put it back and couldn't believe it.

teabag1963
teabag1963 03/24/08 - 11:15 am
looking back over saturdays

looking back over saturdays rants.(boring as usual) baroness, you had your chance, that's how i roll. i don't let any grass grow under my feet.ksl, i am a vet and not one person told me 26 years ago that they appreciated one thing that i did.that's life. it's never been fair and never will be.i've been against this war from the start because it is criminal.iraq was no threat to us then or now.we are the only super power, since when do we cower from terrorist attacks? bring em on! i say. are you scared i'm not.we have had security defenses set up in this country for years.we pay federal employees good money to monitor those defenses.believe what you want but binladen had nothing to do with 911.he is taking credit,sure it makes him a martyr to his brainwashed people.george tenet, then cia director, said as soon as he was informed of the attacks, this has binladens finger prints all over it.how would you know that george? unless it was all pre-planned.if you study the jfk assassination the papers in new zealand had already printed an article about oswald telling his whole life story before he had even been arrested in dallas? strange? no just a good old inside job,american style.

reruns
reruns 03/24/08 - 11:15 am
Shut the mall down build one

Shut the mall down build one in CC

teabag1963
teabag1963 03/24/08 - 11:16 am
i pop gum and i hate seafood

i pop gum and i hate seafood is there any hope for me?

devilishlymad67
devilishlymad67 03/24/08 - 11:51 am
Habitual offenders, scumbag

Habitual offenders, scumbag lawyers with agendas
I'll tell you sometimes people I don't know what's worse
Natural disasters or these wolves in sheep clothes pastors
Now damn it I'm scared to send my children to church
And how can we seek salvation when our nations race relations
Got me feeling guilty of being white
But faith in human nature, our creator and our savior, I'm no saint
But I believe in what is right

devilishlymad67
devilishlymad67 03/24/08 - 12:01 pm
Stop pointing fingers and

Stop pointing fingers and take some blame,
Pull your future away from the flame
Open up your mind and start to live
Stop short changing your neighbors
Living off hand outs and favors, and maybe
Give a little bit more than you got to give

Frank
Frank 03/24/08 - 12:13 pm
tiredofit: you're not really

tiredofit: you're not really helping the local economy as much as you might think by shopping at the major chains at the mall.. a vast majority of the money brought into those stores does not stay in Augusta.. of course a small percentage goes toward taxes, and a small percentage (and boy do I mean small) goes to the employess.. the rest (I'd have to estimate 80% or better) goes back to corporate..

rjay
rjay 03/24/08 - 12:13 pm
Charlie, Capitalization and

Charlie, Capitalization and Punctuation!

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 03/24/08 - 12:13 pm
of course there is still hope

of course there is still hope for you charley. As long as there is life in them, there is hope for anyone. Oh, and regarding your post including the words "baroness, you had your chance..." My reply is: "huh?" LOL. I'm not real good at sorting out your stream of consciousness posts. But if they make you happy, keep on, keepin' on. ;-)

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 03/24/08 - 12:16 pm
PTHS, what bait?

PTHS, what bait?

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 03/24/08 - 12:17 pm
marshadillon. don't worry, I

marshadillon. don't worry, I don't take anything on here totally seriously. Come to think of it, a sense of humor is how I've survived all the "stuff" I've been through. People are amazed, some are worried ;-), that no matter what happens to me, I feel it, deal with it, then find something humorous about it that gets me laughing and smiling again. Good coping mechanism. I guess that's hard to tell from my posts, though, sorry. I'm actually a very positive, happy person.

rjay
rjay 03/24/08 - 12:17 pm
Tiredofit, you can see people

Tiredofit, you can see people being stupid anywhere, you can hear that loud music at every intersection and people fighting at any time.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 03/24/08 - 12:24 pm
rjay, do you live in 30906?

rjay, do you live in 30906? LOL. You are right about that. But they need to keep that out of the mall property if they want people to feel secure enough to shop there.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 03/24/08 - 12:36 pm
No Longer Amazed, if you're

No Longer Amazed, if you're walking across a firing range, it is your fault if you get shot. While on the sidewalk, the pedestrian was safe. That doesn't mean the bus driver is without responsibility, it just means the pedestrian should know the bus is always bigger and therefore should always be careful, all of the time, when walking in front of the moving bus. It's not a matter of right and wrong, it all about survival. Buses shouldn't be used to improve the gene pool.(cause they will)

Rose
Rose 03/24/08 - 12:40 pm
I use to love to go to the

I use to love to go to the mall, but the main reason I only go about twice a yr now is because of the traffic. I hate fighting to get out of that place. I need to go to Sears. Maybe I will go one day soon, and then sit in the food court for a few minutes.

Rose
Rose 03/24/08 - 12:45 pm
Another child murdered by its

Another child murdered by its parent. Atlanta this time. A father shot his baby while it was strapped in the carseat.Then he shot himself. Both are dead. it happened in Dekalb County.

namaste
namaste 03/24/08 - 12:56 pm
dani-I was being honest when

dani-I was being honest when I wrote that about popping gum. I do not chew it any longer and it's been years since I did. I chew very little "sweets". I suppose that means I've long ago lost my sweet tooth. However, my ignorance to the fact that others pop their gum may be from working in too loud an environment for too long a period of time? Possibly.

kiddspur
kiddspur 03/24/08 - 01:17 pm
y-a-w-n!!!!!!!!!!!!

y-a-w-n!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ex-superintendent to write of miraculous recovery

Taking his doctor's advice, former Richmond County school superintendent Frank Roberson has nearly finished writing a 150-page book about his remarkable recovery from brain trauma.