Rants and Raves

Comments from our readers.

LET'S ELIMINATE ALL shootings by eliminating all guns. And, while we are at it, let's eliminate: highway deaths by eliminating vehicles; drownings by eliminating swimming pools and boats; drug addiction by eliminating needles; obesity by eliminating eating utensils; and alcoholism by eliminating alcohol. Oh, wait, we tried that with alcohol.

TO THE COMMENT of the Augusta Commission meeting in Aiken, why not? Augusta sucks. Maybe while in Aiken the commissioners can gain some insight and learn how an effective government works.

RAVES TO THE Richmond school board and Dr. Bedden for demonstrating intelligence and courage in recruiting an out-of-state auditor to help them revamp the Richmond County School System.

LET ME ASSURE YOU -- NO ONE you work around wants to hear you popping gum!

IN REFERENCE TO the MCG student who was killed by the city bus. I worked for MCG Public Safety for many years and this is not the first problem concerning pedestrians. Attempts were made years ago to improve pedestrian/vehicle conditions. Some of the problem was with local government, which was uncooperative at the time, and with certain MCG administrators. Also, many foreign students are not familiar with traffic congestion.

SYLVIA COOPER'S COLUMN does cover "Dixie Like the Dew." Early in the morning and mostly all wet!

RAVES TO DR. BEDDEN for his willingness to cooperate with the sheriff's office and the Augusta-Richmond County Transportation Department to reduce school disruptions and the costs of hauling students and municipal bus passengers.

COME ON, HARRISBURG. Get moving and get some things done. You are letting HONG KONG get ahead of you. Get rid of some of the bad business places. Get rid of some more of the drug houses. Start fighting for what we need.

gijoe7898
gijoe7898 03/24/08 - 07:57 am
If Richmond county is

If Richmond county is growing, it can't possibly be parents wanting to take advantage of the excellent school system, could it?

AugustaVoter
AugustaVoter 03/24/08 - 08:18 am
Nice joke gijoe. That was a

Nice joke gijoe. That was a good one. Having good schools in RC is about as likely as getting the commission to do something positive for the community. Never gonna happen in this lifetime!

pofwe
pofwe 03/24/08 - 08:19 am
Stuffed swimpses.

Stuffed swimpses.

getalife
getalife 03/24/08 - 08:27 am
Sylvia Cooper's City Ink is

Sylvia Cooper's City Ink is one of the best and funniest parts of this newspaper.

AugustaVoter
AugustaVoter 03/24/08 - 08:31 am
The funniest part of the

The funniest part of the paper is that we even have one! hahahaha

karmakills123
karmakills123 03/24/08 - 08:50 am
Fresh caught shrimp !! AHHHH

Fresh caught shrimp !! AHHHH Heaven.... please not that frozen stuff from China...buy one get one free?? That they have the nerve to charge for it at all is amazing.

Lysa
Lysa 03/24/08 - 09:09 am
Why not turn some of the

Why not turn some of the schools the RCBOE plan to close into charter schools?

mojo
mojo 03/24/08 - 09:10 am
cold beer goes well with

cold beer goes well with shrimp!

mojo
mojo 03/24/08 - 09:11 am
I predict that shortly

I predict that shortly jonnnee and his friends will propose a new shrimp tax!

Lysa
Lysa 03/24/08 - 09:18 am
Yummo, shrimp!!! I'll pass

Yummo, shrimp!!! I'll pass the beer, since I don't drink alcoholic beverages.

Daddyrabbit
Daddyrabbit 03/24/08 - 09:20 am
PT, You're 100% correct!

PT, You're 100% correct! Putting all excuses aside, forein or not, you've go to watch where you're going. There's no substitute for common sense....

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 03/24/08 - 09:21 am
Lysa, NA beer, has such a low

Lysa, NA beer, has such a low alcohol content you won't be affected.

Daddyrabbit
Daddyrabbit 03/24/08 - 09:23 am
Didn't get the rest of my

Didn't get the rest of my comment. so, I gotta go as I use other places for chat rooms. Yahoo also allows it for free.

myobgdi
myobgdi 03/24/08 - 09:25 am
??Many foreign students are

??Many foreign students are not familiar with traffic congestion?? What is the assumption here? If you're not from the US, you are from a jungle with no traffic? Most countries have traffic congestion! Traffic congestion is not unique to the United States!

Aroundtown
Aroundtown 03/24/08 - 09:55 am
In honor of Master's Week...

In honor of Master's Week... There are a few things about golf you need to know, about etiquette and stuff.

Keep your back straight, knees bent and feet shoulder width apart.
Form a loose grip.
Keep your head down.
Avoid a quick back swing.
Stay out of the water.
Try not to hit anyone.
If you are taking too long, please let others go ahead of you.
Don’t stand directly in front of others.
Quiet please… while others are preparing to go.
Don’t take extra strokes.....
Very good. Now flush the urinal, go outside, and tee off.

dani
dani 03/24/08 - 09:58 am
Popping gum..hideous..I do my

Popping gum..hideous..I do my best to get out of sight and sound. You can tell the offenders on here by reading their posts.

PTHS2
PTHS2 03/24/08 - 10:07 am
Herman Cain is doing the

Herman Cain is doing the Boortz show again today on WGAC 580AM.

Concerned in Georgia
Concerned in Georgia 03/24/08 - 10:14 am
Aroundtown, that was

Aroundtown, that was funny,lmao

jack
jack 03/24/08 - 10:25 am
I like Herman Cain PT.

I like Herman Cain PT. Thanks, as I get tired of Boortz and the Fair Tax. For you other shrimp lovers. fresh shrip can be purchased at the fish market on Lumpkin Rd. Frankly, I love shrimp cooked any way, but miss my NC coastal broiled flounder just caught by me off the pier that day.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 03/24/08 - 10:26 am
I tend to equate a persons

I tend to equate a persons intelligence with their manners. In other words I've found the more bad manners and rude behavior
the less intelligence.

jack
jack 03/24/08 - 10:26 am
The rant against Sylvia

The rant against Sylvia Cooper's column must be one of those clowns she exposes.

tiredofit
tiredofit 03/24/08 - 10:35 am
In regard to failed projects

In regard to failed projects in the city and empty spots in the mall, I took out of town guests to the mall Sat. and now they understand why it is not a destination, but a place you go as a necessity. The mall is doomed to fail. The place was packed with kids dressed like rappers walking/hanging out rudely in large packs. You could not even walk in the common areas but the stores were empty, because they are not there to shop in the stores.When we finally made it to to car, some kids were parked in an SUV next to us with the music booming and when we approached they rolled up the tinted windows, turned up the music, and started playing the the mirrors and wipers. Thursday I went with the kids after school only to have to sit in our car in the parking lot right in front of the store we were going to as three big guys were yelling at each other, the F word every other word looking like they were going to fight at any minute. We were afraid to get out of the car in broad daylight right in front of the store. I am from Detroit, and I was scared. So much for supporting your local economy, I'll be on the internet from now on. Augusta needs a shopping/lifestyle destination that is safe.

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 03/24/08 - 10:50 am
You know what's fun to do at

You know what's fun to do at the mall is to walk with a purpose while you're shopping and when Thugs (I don't know if they're really thugs but they're wearing a thug's uniform) walk slowly with 4 or 5 people abreast, maintain your speed and direction, if no one gives way, just walk right thru them and say excuse me. If one or two say something either keep walking or just turn around and give a hard stare and continue. That's what I do ... then again I'm 6'2" and 220lbs so that might make a difference. But a lot of these kids are thriving on your fear of them to make them look tough in front of their friends. So don't let them intimidate you.

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 03/24/08 - 10:54 am
TIREDOFIT, I am tired of

TIREDOFIT, I am tired of people like you that has nothing but negative comments about the mall. Your ILK hsa been singing it's doom for the last ten years, guess what? It is still there and expanding. And thed B.S. about them going around in packs. I have noticed that mall security along with the RCSD deputies are on top of them as soon as they step out of line. As far as loud music is concerned, at least at the mall they will write tickets for it unlike on the streets. it is safer to shop at the mall or any store that provide security. I have been going to the Augusta Mall for over 18 years and not once was I attacked, molested, threaten or fearful.

reruns
reruns 03/24/08 - 10:59 am
I almost do not want my

I almost do not want my children to get a college education because everyday they seem to become more and more of a dumb!@# and lazier by the minute. Get this they have 4 or 6 or even 8 years degrees and they still do not know how to use a phone. It is a sad world if they let people have a college education that is equivalent to only completeing the 5th grade.

tiredofit
tiredofit 03/24/08 - 11:11 am
Hypocrites2008- I am glad

Hypocrites2008- I am glad your experience has been so good, unlike mine. My kids came running home to tell their Dad about the guys fighting in the parking lot swearing and the dude with braids and a cigar tied in them. No, they did not physically do anything to us, but they didn't have to to impact us. I did not see any cop running around giving tickets. Seems the other fellow has seen the "packs" too. Guess I'm way off. Target and Wal-Mart don't have these problems as far as I've seen. The music , while I don't care for it, is really not a problem. It is the attitude, lack of respect for other people. If I were 220lbs I would not be too bothered. You can have the mall. It won't do too well with "shoppers" like that.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 03/24/08 - 11:15 am
That fish market on Lumpkin

That fish market on Lumpkin Road sure is popular. It has been there forever, so it must be doing something right. Glad to see a homegrown small business doing so well.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 03/24/08 - 11:24 am
I don't like to hear gum

I don't like to hear gum being snapped and popped either. Sometimes it sounds like gunshots. The first time some post traumatic stress disorder combat veteran has a reaction to it, the gum-popper may get some idea how startling it can be to someone who is sensitive to percussive noises. It even gets my blood pressure up because it reminds me of the gun fire in my old neighborhood and the several murders that accompanied some of the gunshots I heard. At the least, it is ill-mannered, i.e., rude and inconsiderate. It shouldn't be done in public and certainly not by anyone working. If you are going to have the bad manners to chew gum in front of others, please don't make any noise while doing it. I don't know why anyone who cares about their appearance would chew gum audibly in public anyway, it is a very unattractive sight. I'm surprised they allow public officials to chew gum in public meetings, especially televised ones. It doesn't just look unprofessional, but infantile.

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 03/24/08 - 11:31 am
Are y'all talking about

Are y'all talking about Island Seafood on Lumpkin road? I love that place!

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 03/24/08 - 11:39 am
HYPOCRITES2008. Tiredofit is

HYPOCRITES2008. Tiredofit is telling the truth. His (or hers) was NOT an isolated situation. It is like that every time I stop in when bringing my teen to work there. The security does the best they can, but there is not one time that I have been there that I haven't heard trash mouths speaking foul language like the f word, the m.f. word, and other gutter talk. I don't like having to walk through a stinking cloud of smoke to get in the doors either. I'm sure I wouldn't be run all over if I was 6 foot tall, 200 lbs or so & a male, but I'm not that demographic. I am tired of being run over by persons that walk 5 abreast & won't move over so you can get by in either direction. If you hold your side of the aisle instead of ducking into a store until they pass, they knock into you, then curse YOU out. Tiredofit is not being negative, he's simply telling the truth. Security didn't mind telling my teen's friend's birthday party they had to separate in the mall & NONE of them use foul language or are discipline problems. The officer explained the need for crowd control. They were a little annoyed because they had to reorganize their plans, but they understood the need for it.

Clemson halts mandatory student sex survey

CLEMSON, S.C. - Clemson says it has suspended a mandatory survey of students the school says was part of a review to prevent sexual discrimination, harassment and assault.