Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

A RAVE! A big thank you to the Richmond County law enforcement officers and investigators who have helped recover much of my wife's jewelry, which was stolen from our home a couple of weeks ago. Not enough good things are said about our local law enforcement people. Our community needs to be very proud and thankful for the dedicated professionals who protect us. God bless all of you.

A RAVE to The Augusta Chronicle for the fine story about a fine young lady, Miss Ginny Boone, the 2008 STAR Student for Richmond County.

I THINK THE CHRONICLE needs to post an in-depth article about the trillions of dollars in costs for this current Iraqi war, including figures and expenses to maintain the vets that come back physically, mentally and emotionally traumatized. Let's not let Bush "quietly" fund this war with strictly emergency monies under our noses.

RANT FOR THE PARENTS and students of Lakeside High/Middle School and Blue Ridge Elementary and Preschools. Slow down! The blinking yellow lights may save your children. Blue Ridge Drive is not the Daytona Speedway. The school zone is 20 mph. Stay off my bumper! Where are the Columbia County cops when you need them?

A BIG RANT for the poor planning of the construction work done at the intersection of Interstate 20 and Washington Road. One-lane traffic in both directions caused massive backups, bumper cars, and stalled vehicles on Thursday, with no alternative driving route. It took half an hour to go one mile.

RAVE: THANK GOD for the drought-breaking rains.

KUDOS TO THE CHRONICLE for putting its involvement with the lawsuit against the city right up front with the article, not hidden or stashed away on Page 103 in fine print.

PLEASE BRING the old Augusta Chronicle back. I am planning on stopping my subscription due to the "new look." Please do a poll to see how many people want the old Augusta Chronicle back.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 03/12/08 - 04:41 am
There's plenty of ways around

There's plenty of ways around Washington Rd at I-20. Skinner Mill to Davis, Alexander to Riverwatch, Claussen to riverwatch, Pleasant Home to Riverwatch, rRverwatch to 15th to broad or Walton Way, Walton Way to Davis or Skinner mill Stevens or Wheeler, Wheeler to Aumond, Berkmans, and Boy Scout 15th. did I miss any? You can take any of those roads and make it in less than 30 minutes. I learned that from navigating through Masters traffic.

me1
me1 03/12/08 - 05:16 am
Even though Richmond County

Even though Richmond County does have some good officers, recovering personal property from a burglary relys on 2 things, good luck and stupid crooks.

NEone
NEone 03/12/08 - 06:03 am
Augusta resident: Good thing

Augusta resident: Good thing all those streets are in Richmond County. If they were in Columbia County, they would be covered with speed humps!

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 03/12/08 - 06:13 am
I forgot one route with some

I forgot one route with some very nasty speed humps, it's between Warren and Pleasant Home. I think it's Kings Chapel or something like that.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 03/12/08 - 06:17 am
Nice add for St Pats Day

Nice add for St Pats Day parade in Savannah on Friday. What about Augusta?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 03/12/08 - 06:29 am
To the sad person still

To the sad person still whining about Bush and national defense, do like the rest of us, don't vote for Bush this November. Which new president do you think will end national defense? (or not conduct it as an expert like you would)

christian134
christian134 03/12/08 - 06:34 am
Thanks patriciathomas could

Thanks patriciathomas could not have stated it better....

dixie
dixie 03/12/08 - 07:28 am
I drive home from work by way

I drive home from work by way of Cox Rd off of Belair Rd. There is a school zone sign, but no blinking light, before Evans High School that states the speed limit drops to 25 mph until 3:30 on school days, but very few people reduce their speed. I can't tell you how many drivers ride my bumper as I drive at the reduced speed limit.

RollTide
RollTide 03/12/08 - 08:41 am
Yeah PT, I couldn't have said

Yeah PT, I couldn't have said it better.

mommato2
mommato2 03/12/08 - 08:44 am
Is there some reason I can't

Is there some reason I can't get the R&R and Across the Area earlier than 830am on here? I get up early and when I want to read the newspaper online, I have to wait until 830 or later. I don't want yesterday's news when I wake up.

mommato2
mommato2 03/12/08 - 08:47 am
And I'm still not getting

And I'm still not getting updated Across the Area, it's still yesterday's news. Way to go AC. Well, it is today's date, but still yesterday's stories. Did nothing happen over the last 24 hours?

mojo
mojo 03/12/08 - 08:50 am
To the ranter who thinks Bush

To the ranter who thinks Bush has "quietly" funded the war in Iraq - shhhhhh I have a secret to share...the housing market is in a wee spot of trouble and the economy growing leaps and bounds this year isn't a guarantee.

PTHS2
PTHS2 03/12/08 - 08:52 am
mommato2 - Try the refresh

mommato2 - Try the refresh button on your internet browswer.

He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named
He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named 03/12/08 - 08:55 am
Hypocrites2008, I posted

Hypocrites2008, I posted something like this yesterday but you must not have seen it so I will repeat myself. You have said twice over the past few days that patriciathomas is not a racist. I'm sure this has come as quite a shock to her. I did a quick scan through your archives knowing very well it wouldn't take long to find an example of you calling her a racist....and as usual, I was right. Check your Jan 29 4:17pm post. I'm sure there are more examples but didn't feel like looking for them. I won't be surprised if you delete that and other examples and call me a liar, but we both know...that title belongs to you.

RollTide
RollTide 03/12/08 - 09:03 am
Ahhhhhhhhh! Spring time in

Ahhhhhhhhh! Spring time in Augusta. The birds are chirping. The squirrels are playing. The trees and flowers are blooming. And that darn yellow stuff is killing me!

crazygraves
crazygraves 03/12/08 - 09:07 am
ok i have tried the new

ok i have tried the new chronicle, all you need is the METRO back, the community section is a JOKE,

walk_american
walk_american 03/12/08 - 09:07 am
I hear you Roll. If I could

I hear you Roll. If I could remove my nose I would. I hate this time of year.

PTHS2
PTHS2 03/12/08 - 09:15 am
G'mornin Tide and walk - Hey,

G'mornin Tide and walk - Hey, the pollen makes it easier to fill out witness statements on traffic incidents. "What color was the other vehicle?" "Yellow!!!"

RollTide
RollTide 03/12/08 - 09:20 am
I went on a training flight

I went on a training flight once during the spring at the peak of pine pollen season and after climbing through about 1500 feet we litterally popped out on top of a yellow haze. It was so thick in the air it was unbelievable.

thugskin
thugskin 03/12/08 - 09:21 am
Do people of the European

Do people of the European Genome have any pride left?

RollTide
RollTide 03/12/08 - 09:22 am
Morning PTHS

Morning PTHS

johnsmith
johnsmith 03/12/08 - 09:25 am
Here's the best, most

Here's the best, most concise, most factual analysis of the ethanol hoax that I have seen to date: http://townhall.com/Columnists/WalterEWilliams/2008/03/12/
big_corn_and_ethanol_hoax I therefore expect the enviroweenies to dismiss it, call the author a Big Oil-funded hack, etc. Facts are messy, inconvenient things when you're in the business of trying to get some of the massive federal subsidy dollars to flow your way. Keep griping and complaining about higher food & fuel costs, and keep supporting the politicians who promise more ethanol subsidies. Pay no attention to the ADM behind the curtain! On this single issue alone, we should reschedule those Midwestern primary contests to fall later in the process...

uptheseventhplanet
uptheseventhplanet 03/12/08 - 09:27 am
"I can't tell you how many

"I can't tell you how many drivers ride my bumper as I drive at the reduced speed limit."

I'm guessing one unless you have an extremely wide bumper.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 03/12/08 - 09:31 am
Good Morning to all my fellow

Good Morning to all my fellow pollenators! Sneeze, sniffle, snort!
My eyes are watering, my sinuses have gone into terminal shutdown, and my squirrels all think they are lemons! I went for a walk in Mr Rogers neighborhood yesterday and returned with a yellow cloud of thought, unfortunately I was unable to make out the thoughts due to the clouds. HELP!

HOPE
HOPE 03/12/08 - 09:35 am
I have a RANT when is America

I have a RANT when is America going to put the pressure on our congress and senate to investigate the OIL COMPANIES for price gouging. All of the big OIL COMPANIES HAVE MAD BILLION IN PROFIT FOR EACH QUARTER LAST YEAR (Every 3 months).
Exxon posted a 3 BILLION DOLLAR PROFIT for the LAST THREE MONTHS LAST YEAR. According to the Oil Companies the reason for not having enough gas at lower prices is because Hurricane Katrina caused so much damage to their refineries that they cannot produce enough. This excuse was also backed by the President. If these companies can make so outrageous profits they should be accountable for price gouging Congress should hall there but's in before them and explain why they are making so much money and keeping the price of oil so high and fine them so much that they will have to build new refineries. Also lock there company executives up for letting this shortage happen. Listen America if we stop buying gas at these prices and start to conserve and try to buy gas only once a week this will sure as hades cut into there profit margin. THINK ABOUT IT!!!!

johnsmith
johnsmith 03/12/08 - 09:37 am
I'm sorry? "Quietly" fund the

I'm sorry? "Quietly" fund the war? The Democrats jump and and down and shriek like banshees each time there's a funding bill. It's on the front page and leads in the 6 o'clock news, with "unbiased" reporting supporting the "let's hamstring out troops" movement every time more funding comes up for a vote. Just because your party is not TRULY as stupid as they claim to be, and will not actually cut funds for troops actively engaged in protecting our nation, does not mean that it's all happening "quietly" (I think you meant 'surreptitiously'). It just means that they do actually draw a line between their bedwetting rhetoric and the reality of the world in which we live. To be honest, I, too, am shocked that they see that difference, so kudos to the "not as stupid as you look" crowd :)

johnsmith
johnsmith 03/12/08 - 09:45 am
HOPE!!!!!!!! If you SHOUt

HOPE!!!!!!!! If you SHOUt ENOUGH I'm SURE YOU CAN get EVERYONE TO AGREE WITH YOU!!!!THINK ABOUT IT!!!! Um....back on planet Logical Thought, Hope, if you do actually "think about it," think about this. Suppose your boss pays you a 10% commission on every widget you sell. Suppose the demand for widgets goes through the roof. Suddenly, everybody and their uncle wants a widget and is waving money at you, to the point that production can't possibly keep up with demand. At this point, the price of widgets goes up from $5 each to $7.50 each (higher demand = higher prices = dampened demand). Now, Hope, since you are getting a percentage commission of your sale of each widget, your pay goes from 50 cents each, to 75 cents each. Well, Hope, I think that you need to be investigated for "price gouging" and for taking advantage of widget demand to earn outrageous profits. The only RIGHT thing to do would be what everyone else does: insist on earning less money than the market is willing to pay you, for the good of our society. Wait...I'm getting a bulletin here...WHAT? You mean most people do NOT insist on a lower salary than is offered? Darn...there goes that theory.

johnsmith
johnsmith 03/12/08 - 09:50 am
Also, Hope, your own posts

Also, Hope, your own posts proves that your reasoning is meaningless. What is your final exhortation? That all consumers should cut down on their use of gasoline to the extent that they can. Well, since people don't tend to listen to you, much, you know that that recommendation is meaningless. However, take heart! People WILL use less gasoline...because the price has gone up. That is the function of price, Hope, though it's clear that you have no understanding of basic economics, and you stopped reading anything meaningful on the subject once the 3-syllable words appeared. When demand exceeds supply, price goes up. Demand gets dampened by higher price, as buyers make choices about where to direct their funds. Higher price encourages new suppliers to enter the market, thus driving prices down until buyers take advantage of lower prices to buy more. This is all twisted around and cannot work properly when you have artificial (gov't, e.g.) forces that don't allow the process to work. If enviro-nuts don't allow new drilling in the Gulf or new refinery construction, new suppliers cannot enter the mkt, and the price cannot drop. Don't look to gov't for the ANSWER; it is the PROBLEM.

Tall1
Tall1 03/12/08 - 09:52 am
The USA Chamber of Commerce's

The USA Chamber of Commerce's new slogan, written by HOPE!!!!!!!!!: Come to USA. Succeed in Business. Get the Everloving Crap Taxxed OutofYou. Go Home More Broke.

NotyourDadsBuick
NotyourDadsBuick 03/12/08 - 09:52 am
I think this is an

I think this is an appropriate place for this news update, as if anyone other than PT still believes there was ever a link. Coming soon from the DOD: "An exhaustive review of more than 600,000 Iraqi documents that were captured after the 2003 U.S. invasion has found no evidence that Saddam Hussein's regime had any operational links with Osama bin Laden's al Qaida terrorist network. The Pentagon-sponsored study, scheduled for release later this week, did confirm that Saddam's regime provided some support to other terrorist groups, particularly in the Middle East , U.S. officials told McClatchy . However, his security services were directed primarily against Iraqi exiles, Shiite Muslims, Kurds and others he considered enemies of his regime." Sad, really. I think the best way to describe the war in Iraq is over-promised and under-delivered. Try that at your job and it will get you fired.

Partnerships needed in cyber sectors, NSA director says

Adm. Michael Rogers, director of the National Security Agency, said the nation's security rests on breaking down bariers between private and government sectors specializing in cyber defense. ...