Rants and raves

Comments from our readers.

BIG RAVE FOR Dianne at the CVS pharmacy on Peach Orchard for taking her time to get me my son's medicine. She called the insurance and after they denied covering the meds, she called his doctor to get him another med that the insurance would cover.

IF I WERE RUNNING for president I wouldn't want Ted to be on my side.

FOR THE PERSON WHO thinks that the "speed humps" are tearing up his front end: You just haven't found the right speed to cross them yet.

I AM SO SICK AND TIRED of the Gilbert Manor issue. Folks want everything for free.

HOW CAN I PUT THIS as delicate as possible: George Bush is, without a doubt, the worst president this country has ever seen, bar none.

A RANT TO the mom at our daughter's basketball game who yelled and screamed the entire game. Even the referee called you out by saying, "Shame on you"! These are CHILDREN and you really need to get a grip.

ABOUT THE POST OFFICE stamp machines: I remember a few years ago the post office was trying to compete with Internet/e-mail FedEx, UPS, DHL, but all they want to do now is discontinue convenient services. I call to complain, but it falls on deaf ears. I am surprised they haven't added a tax to us for having a mailbox in our front yards.

A BIG RANT TO THOSE WHO use smokers for cannon fodder. Not all smokers are the same, so don't stereotype us. And the government needs to quit upping the cigarette tax every time they need to pad their income. Remember what the Boston Tea Party was all about?

STOP PUTTING Tubman Middle down as if it's the worst junior high school in America. Let's talk about what goes on in those schools in Columbia County, as well as some of these private schools that keep all their dirt on the hush-hush!

IF GERRI SAMS WERE white, the black community would be demanding her head on a platter. It's obvious to anyone of even average intelligence what is going on in that department.

I ATTENDED THE David Copperfield show ... at the Bell Auditorium. I have to admit, the show was outstanding. However ... I was shocked at so many empty seats. It seems Augusta is trying to get headliners here; however, we just can't bring the people to the shows. Is this the fault of our local media, civic center and Bell marketing, or just that people are unwilling to spend the money for major headliners? I tend to lean toward the media, since I don't recall one TV ad whatsoever about his appearance. I faintly recall a small ad in this Sunday's paper, though. I have to say that I am very disappointed that we are not showing these acts what Augusta has to offer. Let's go, Augusta!

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 02/26/08 - 01:53 pm
So if he wins someone might

So if he wins someone might try to " REMOVE" him. In the say post you said " America has come a long wat". Has it? HADDOCK, I agree with you about SCUMBUCKET.

walk_american
walk_american 02/26/08 - 01:57 pm
Yes I do think America has

Yes I do think America has come a long. Do I think we are perfect yet....no. But I for one am proud of my country and what we have achieved so far, unlike some who say they have not been proud of America.

Eric
Eric 02/26/08 - 02:06 pm
RCR, one thing I think that

RCR, one thing I think that needs to be pointed out here is the fact that we are only in the primaries. You speak as though Obama is the nominee for the Democratic party. Obama DOES NOT have the nomination, yet. To say that the voters aren't listening is ludicrous. You have no way of knowing which way the voters that voted for Hillbillary will vote until they actually have to choose between the two presidential candidates that are on the ballot come November. That is if Obama does get the nomination. It looks like now he will; but, stranger things have happened.

imdstuf
imdstuf 02/26/08 - 02:12 pm
I watch tv, listen to the

I watch tv, listen to the radio, look at periodicals, and I did not know David Copperfield was coming. Maybe people would go if there was some advertising.

Smoking stinks. I agree with PT on that one. Smokers should spritz each other with Fabreeze. Nasty smell.

I do think GW could go down as one of the worst presidents.

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 02/26/08 - 02:29 pm
Walk American, you are

Walk American, you are looking at the glass as half empty. First, Obama has to get the nomination,then defeat senator John McCain. Then once elected, he could do the job.We don't know whether he will do a good job or bad one.The same can be said of all the candidates.Don't look at him as a black president. Look at him as a president. Color is not a determinant as to whether he would be a good or bad president.Tide, you're technically right, but Hillary is toast, my man. It just a matter of time.

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 02/26/08 - 02:40 pm
rcr.. please tell us your

rcr.. please tell us your reason for supporting obama.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 02/26/08 - 02:43 pm
johnee re your 1: 36

johnee re your 1: 36 comment... I don't think you are a fool, but what's my opinion compared to that of thousands of others. 60% of the vote...hasn't happened since Reagan 2, before that Nixon, before that you have to go all the way back, I think, to Calvin Coolidge,,I don't believe any of these were Demoncrats, kind sir

Eric
Eric 02/26/08 - 02:45 pm
Did you have a nice nap putt?

Did you have a nice nap putt?

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 02/26/08 - 02:45 pm
At the risk of shutting down

At the risk of shutting down another discussion: We are all related. Race is just a description of our appearance and a hint of our roots and culture. I don't care what race or gender the winner is, but if I have to choose between Obama and Hillary I'm picking Obama. If i get to vote for who I want to win, it would be Alan Keyes, but he's not running anymore. If I get to vote on someone still in the race, it would be Huckabee, he's my number one choice after Keyes dropped out. My number two was Fred Thompson, but he's another that dropped out. No matter what goes on in D.C. the next few years, I want to make a positive difference right here. I just don't know how I'm going to go about doing that yet.

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 02/26/08 - 02:46 pm
Converted Southerner, I

Converted Southerner, I would, but that would be trying to justify my vote to you or others.My reason for supporting Obama is my business. That's like asking me, why I spend my paycheck on what I spend it on.

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 02/26/08 - 02:50 pm
rcr.. that sounds like an

rcr.. that sounds like an intelligent and informed voter.

mojo
mojo 02/26/08 - 02:51 pm
RCR - then please tell us how

RCR - then please tell us how you feel about osama paying for his $1.6 million mansion in Chicago with a loan from a muslim living in London?

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 02/26/08 - 02:51 pm
Little thing called work

Little thing called work Tide. Sometimes it interupts what I enjoy.

PTHS2
PTHS2 02/26/08 - 02:53 pm
I'm holding out to see who

I'm holding out to see who the VP candidates are. Talk to me in November.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 02/26/08 - 02:54 pm
RCR seriously you are an

RCR seriously you are an intelligent, articulate man. I think if you would explain why Obama has your vote you might persuade many others here. Don't back down now.

Eric
Eric 02/26/08 - 02:55 pm
Amen to that brother PTHS.

Amen to that brother PTHS.

Eric
Eric 02/26/08 - 02:55 pm
PUTT, don't you just hate it

PUTT, don't you just hate it when that happens?

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 02/26/08 - 02:56 pm
Tide seems unfair. If I ever

Tide seems unfair. If I ever get the opportunity to renegotiate my contract.....

teabag1963
teabag1963 02/26/08 - 02:58 pm
nikki it still wouldn't hurt

nikki it still wouldn't hurt to notify the owner of the company(the parent company) and explain your situation.he may be sympathetic and trade vehicles if he has any integrity,you have nothing to lose at this phase.rcr why should i vote for obama? all i've seen so far is a booming voice,and a pep rally mentality i would have no problem voting for a black man or woman, but my concern is what can they do to save this country? we've had to endure bush,reagan (was just acting out another part ) we need more than rah rah we need substance.explain why i should vote for him.he has basically no experience,he did nothing in illinois.he beat out alan keyes who wasn't even a resident, as everyone knows how dirty chicago politics are.do you not think the world leaders are chomping at the bit to try the us if he gets in? they're more afraid of hilllary than they are of him,and believe me they are watching this race.nikki also if you have to turn the van back in,just write the credit bureaus and explain why the creditors will understand the situation.

Eric
Eric 02/26/08 - 03:01 pm
RCR, I agree with PUTT and

RCR, I agree with PUTT and would like to add, that if you are simply listing the things in the guys platrorm that you like or agree with, that isn't tipping the apple cart so to speak.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 02/26/08 - 03:12 pm
Dear smoking mailman, please

Dear smoking mailman, please put your butt in a safe place, instead of planting it in front of my mail box every day. One hot butt and my grass is going up in smoke, just hope somebody's mail doesn't meet the same fate. Does your employer allow you to smoke?

PTHS2
PTHS2 02/26/08 - 03:16 pm
Thanks baroness, I'd been

Thanks baroness, I'd been anxiously awaiting your "crisis de jour" (CDJ for future postings). Thanks again for coming through! ;-)

Eric
Eric 02/26/08 - 03:17 pm
baroness, i don't mean to be

baroness, i don't mean to be a jerk; but, wouldn't you be better served to report him to the post master?

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 02/26/08 - 03:21 pm
Or at least to the Marlboro

Or at least to the Marlboro man I see on bill boards...

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 02/26/08 - 03:23 pm
RT did I hear you right..you

RT did I hear you right..you agree with me.....you know I'm not voting for Hilliary...LOL

Eric
Eric 02/26/08 - 03:25 pm
LOL I guess my eyesight is

LOL I guess my eyesight is getting like my hearing when my wife talks to me. Selective.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 02/26/08 - 03:26 pm
Rolltide, You a jerk? Never!

Rolltide, You a jerk? Never! But have you ever TRIED to report anyone to the PostMaster...LOL. I was hoping the mailman would get the word indirectly somehow, word of mouth, I don't want an otherwise good mailman fired or taken to task for smoking. I just don't want him littering on my lawn, or having an accident (wreck or burning mail) while smoking.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 02/26/08 - 03:29 pm
baroness, attach an ashtray

baroness, attach an ashtray to your mailbox. The kind that opens when you push a lever. A metal bucket with sand in it will work too. I prefer beer cans with a little beer left in the bottom, works great.

Eric
Eric 02/26/08 - 03:30 pm
Then pick up the butts for a

Then pick up the butts for a couple of weeks, put them in an envelope and address it to "MY MAILMAN." Put the envelope in the mailbox and put the red flag up. It'll probably [filtered word] him off; but, I bet he gets the message,

Allen has hometown swearing-in

U.S. Rep. Rick Allen returned home to Augusta on Thursday for a ceremonial swearing-in, a platform he used to update his top priorities for his first term in Congress.