Rants and raves

Comments from our readers.

BIG RAVE FOR Dianne at the CVS pharmacy on Peach Orchard for taking her time to get me my son's medicine. She called the insurance and after they denied covering the meds, she called his doctor to get him another med that the insurance would cover.

IF I WERE RUNNING for president I wouldn't want Ted to be on my side.

FOR THE PERSON WHO thinks that the "speed humps" are tearing up his front end: You just haven't found the right speed to cross them yet.

I AM SO SICK AND TIRED of the Gilbert Manor issue. Folks want everything for free.

HOW CAN I PUT THIS as delicate as possible: George Bush is, without a doubt, the worst president this country has ever seen, bar none.

A RANT TO the mom at our daughter's basketball game who yelled and screamed the entire game. Even the referee called you out by saying, "Shame on you"! These are CHILDREN and you really need to get a grip.

ABOUT THE POST OFFICE stamp machines: I remember a few years ago the post office was trying to compete with Internet/e-mail FedEx, UPS, DHL, but all they want to do now is discontinue convenient services. I call to complain, but it falls on deaf ears. I am surprised they haven't added a tax to us for having a mailbox in our front yards.

A BIG RANT TO THOSE WHO use smokers for cannon fodder. Not all smokers are the same, so don't stereotype us. And the government needs to quit upping the cigarette tax every time they need to pad their income. Remember what the Boston Tea Party was all about?

STOP PUTTING Tubman Middle down as if it's the worst junior high school in America. Let's talk about what goes on in those schools in Columbia County, as well as some of these private schools that keep all their dirt on the hush-hush!

IF GERRI SAMS WERE white, the black community would be demanding her head on a platter. It's obvious to anyone of even average intelligence what is going on in that department.

I ATTENDED THE David Copperfield show ... at the Bell Auditorium. I have to admit, the show was outstanding. However ... I was shocked at so many empty seats. It seems Augusta is trying to get headliners here; however, we just can't bring the people to the shows. Is this the fault of our local media, civic center and Bell marketing, or just that people are unwilling to spend the money for major headliners? I tend to lean toward the media, since I don't recall one TV ad whatsoever about his appearance. I faintly recall a small ad in this Sunday's paper, though. I have to say that I am very disappointed that we are not showing these acts what Augusta has to offer. Let's go, Augusta!

egan
egan 02/26/08 - 10:02 am
How can I put this, has

How can I put this, has forgotten about Jimmy Carters four years.

christian134
christian134 02/26/08 - 10:08 am
Bad times bad times still get

Bad times bad times still get cold chills everytime carters' name is spoken. This nation is headed for some really rough times. All any of us can do is pray that God will have mercy on a nation that has lost all direction morally.

PTHS2
PTHS2 02/26/08 - 10:10 am
I love you Charley Yonce!

I love you Charley Yonce! Feel better now PUTT?

Eric
Eric 02/26/08 - 10:13 am
Oh no PTHS. You're scaring me

Oh no PTHS. You're scaring me now.

mojo
mojo 02/26/08 - 10:16 am
dani - it's my new sport -

dani - it's my new sport - Osama (and his minions of Osamanites) are a frightening blight on our political system - expect many more revelations about this man and his intentions.

nikki1975
nikki1975 02/26/08 - 10:39 am
I made the worst decision of

I made the worst decision of my life when I decided to buy a van from JD. Byrider. I bought it May 25 07. Transmission broke 4mons after I bought it. They replaced with a used one. It broke again 3mons later. Supposedly fixed again, when I picked it up (last friday) it shakes when it shifts and thumps when I slow down. This is the same problem I had the first time I turned my van in to be repaired. It seems they replaced it with the same transmission from the first break down. They do give you a 24 mon/24K warranty. The problem with this is they refuse to replace the broke part with a new part and since they are so backed up with broke vehicles it takes almost two weeks to get your vehicle fixed. They do not offer loaner cars or pay for rentals. So I have spent almost $600 in rental cars. They offered to put it once again in the shop which will take another two weeks and end up costing me another $400 for a rental car. What really makes me mad is how they ALL understand what I'm going thru and all used dealerships have this problem and I was lucky in the past to have had two used cars that didn't break down soon after I bought them. Has this happened to anybody else?

Dan White 02/26/08 - 10:42 am
Don't worry about us smokers

Don't worry about us smokers Patricia. If Obama or Clinton gets the election, they are going to raise sin-taxes on our beloved tobacco habit. Then, that will put an end to the affordability of smoking and an end to this habit that annoys non-smokers like you. In the meantime, I think that I will go on the back porch and enjoy another Indian Tabac, Rocky Patel, luxurious cigar with a 50 ring size. Now, that's the way to relax and read the paper with a cup of coffee by my side!

Dan White 02/26/08 - 10:44 am
Magic is of the devil and

Magic is of the devil and Copperfield has been accused of picking out vulnerable single women during his show to have ummmm relations with. Maybe that's why people boycotted his show. You know, this is the Bible belt, and we don't like things associated with the devil and illicit sex. Copperfield needs to stay in Las Vegas or at least go somewhere other than Augusta - for sure. The Civic Center sold out for the Bill Gaither gospel show several years ago and was packed night after night for the Greg Laurie youth crusade about two years ago. Remember the old time gospel concerts at the Bell with Hovie Lister and the gospel greats? Packed out. We went to hear the National Symphonic Orchestra at the Aiken Convocation Center Friday night a week ago. Packed out.

SirRichardDaggett
SirRichardDaggett 02/26/08 - 10:44 am
I would like to send a big

I would like to send a big Rave for Dr. John Thornton at the MCG Cardiocascular Center I have been a patient of his for 10 years. If it wasnt for him I wouldnt be here to send this. I owe him much gratitude and thank him from the bottom of my heart for helping me stay alive all these years.He is good at what he does and deserves much respect. Thank you so much Dr. Thornton.

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 02/26/08 - 10:45 am
louis farrakhan has now

louis farrakhan has now praised hussein obama at a nation of islam savior day celebration (unifying and targeting youth) in chicago, il. most in attendance were in islam garb.

mgr
mgr 02/26/08 - 10:48 am
In reference to Geri Sams, I

In reference to Geri Sams, I really didn't think much about it until I read in a construction bulletin who the Architect was on the Webster Detention Center which is a proposed 26M project. Just sit back and watch this fiasco develop. This guy was used on another project that cost a college a lot more money than it should have. It is very obvious what is happening here. In my opinion this guy doesn't begin to qualify as an detention facility A/E. Augusta is going to get there clocks cleaned before this project completes.

Dan White 02/26/08 - 10:52 am
I thought that I never could

I thought that I never could vote McCain because he is a liberal Republican. But the more I read and research about Obama and his ties to the Iraqi millionaire and the more I read about Hillary, the better the old war horse looks. I can vote for McCain today without reservation. The Democrats are up against it in fighting McCain. He will put a pin in Obama's balloon and the man will come falling back to earth as a human rather than a savior who sinks when he walks on water, makes the deaf to walk, and the lame to talk.

Dan White 02/26/08 - 10:56 am
Good morning Tide. Nice

Good morning Tide. Nice morning to blog the blues away!

Dan White 02/26/08 - 10:59 am
The Oscars were a fiasco.

The Oscars were a fiasco. Talk about stinking up the place. It's not the smokers, it's Hollywood putting out anti-American and dark, dark movies. I watched a little of the NASCAR race delay Sunday and they interviewed some of the hot drivers about who they thought would win the Oscar. Only one replied. The rest didn't even know who was up for nomination. One young gun said he liked John Wayne movies! Hollywood is in total disconnect. When it affects their pocketbooks, maybe they will start making good, decent, the hero wins type movies again.

jack
jack 02/26/08 - 11:02 am
The person claiming that GW

The person claiming that GW Bush is the worst President in our history obviously wasn't around when Jimmy the peanut brain Carter or Vietnam war wager Johnson were in office. Also, the White House has not been run as a whore house under Bush as did his predecessor.

dani
dani 02/26/08 - 11:06 am
green,..When the taxes are

green,..When the taxes are raised and smokers are forced to quit, who then will be paying for the "freebies" that are promised us. Does it mean no more presents from the Liberals or will it be more tax on the already overburdened workers. Some voters are still expecing to get something for nothing.

Eric
Eric 02/26/08 - 11:07 am
Good morning sir.

Good morning sir.

Dan White 02/26/08 - 11:15 am
Dani - good point. Whatever

Dani - good point. Whatever the government taxes kills it. Remember the huge tax the liberal Democrats put on luxury yachts to make the rich pay more? Low and behold, this business almost tanked as the rich quit putting in new orders, and this extra luxury tax had to be repealed. They will drive smokers into non-smokers and the tax money will go up in smoke if they put more huge taxes on tobacco. I think the key is making illegal working immigrants pay into the system - pay SSI taxes and income tax. They also need to find a way to tax the dope peddlers. Hummm, seems like Huckabee had the right idea with the fair tax to make everyone pay and do away with the IRS.

mojo
mojo 02/26/08 - 11:34 am
nikki - not all used car

nikki - not all used car places are like the experience you mention - cars over the past 20 years have become much better made - warranties run longer and you can purchase extended warranties. You should check to see if the lemon law' includes used cars. The transmission is part of what they call the powertrain and these warranties have improved a lot even in the last year (example GM guarantees 100k miles on either new or certified used vehicles. Also - you have a salesperson - ask if you can drive his or her demo - you may find the repair takes less time.

NotyourDadsBuick
NotyourDadsBuick 02/26/08 - 11:36 am
I wouldn't vote for obama

I wouldn't vote for obama because he's all talk and no action, not to mention bend-over backward liberal. But for someone to suggest they won't vote for him due to his ties to an iraqi millionaire begs the question of whether that person voted for bush1 or bush2, both of whom have strong ties to saudi billionaires. let's not forget that the terrorists from 9/11 came were saudis. on a lighter note, consumer confidence is at its lowest point in 15 years, inflation continues to grow, and the credit crisis hasn't hit bottom yet. good times, for sure.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 02/26/08 - 11:38 am
nikki, it seems like it would

nikki, it seems like it would be cheaper and less time consuming to take it to Weeks and let them fix it. If it was new it would fall under the lemon law, $1000 for rental cars?

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 02/26/08 - 11:38 am
Mornin ya'll

Mornin ya'll

teabag1963
teabag1963 02/26/08 - 11:40 am
nikki call consumer affairs

nikki call consumer affairs in the blue pages.they will send you a complaint form,and will forward your complaint to the company and then see where you stand.first, you need to to read the small print and see what you signed.as a last resort find out which dealership owns this company and go straight to the top brass and complain,tell him you will put out emails and etc.tarnishing his business, worth a try.14 putt how can i help you? can i give you some writing tips,some ideas,some material to write about? jack, carter did the best he could.he simply would not delegate and tried to do everything himself, no president can.he did atleast stand up to opec, which was the culprit in the oil crisis.he also wouldn't do back room deals like reagan's people.here we go again with monica.she was 22 yrs old,she was a manipulator and knew what she wanted.why don't you ever mention the male prostitute who visited the whitehouse 196 times under a visitors pass? i'm sure it's easier to get rid of funk than the hiv virus,jack.

jack
jack 02/26/08 - 11:44 am
PTHS, am sure Patricia

PTHS, am sure Patricia Thomas is more than willing to help you realize how much smokers (including you if you smoke) stink. Open sewers smell much better and they don't frequent public places.

1trugent
1trugent 02/26/08 - 11:45 am
I agree with christian134,

I agree with christian134, our nation is heading for Big trouble and we best do a lot of praying.

Tall1
Tall1 02/26/08 - 11:46 am
Nikki: all these nice people

Nikki: all these nice people have very good suggestions. Unfortunately, JD Byrider is "buy here pay here" operation and as such, routinely writes this conduct into the contract you signed. Caveat Emptor.

mojo
mojo 02/26/08 - 11:48 am
ok what's with you guys today

ok what's with you guys today - i post a story that obama's million $+ house was paid for by a muslin and nobody cares - just more bashing of smokers and bush.

jack
jack 02/26/08 - 11:58 am
NYBD, that old crap about the

NYBD, that old crap about the Bush ties to the Saudis, well show me where either Bush has accepted billions from them. Yes, the Bush's are in the oil business and guess who the biggest producer is? Geez, one plus one still equal two, not three as you libs believe. Seems Osama Obama has been caught with his hand in the big cookie jar-he looks right at home in the Muslim garb.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 02/26/08 - 12:00 pm
I don't need to hear anymore

I don't need to hear anymore about Obama, I never considered him for my vote anyway. I'm just waiting to see who the lesser of 2 evils is. The way things are going Nader will get alot of votes.

walk_american
walk_american 02/26/08 - 12:01 pm
Forget sending extra money to

Forget sending extra money to the Government for taxes. If someone has extra money they don't want then darn...send it to me. By the time I pay federal taxes, state taxes, medicare, medicaid, social security, health insurance, disability insurance and everything else I have less than half my paycheck left. I have a son I need to put through college so just let me know if someone would like to donate to his education. He is a great kid who loves animals and wants to be a veternarian.

Stormwater fee to fund Columbia County repairs