Rants and raves

Comments from our readers on Valentine's Day:

A BIG RAVE for Martha King from Augusta Cares. I thank you so much from the bottom of my heart.

A RAVE for Trinity Hospital nurses on Trinity 3. I had surgery, and the staff was compassionate and caring.

A BIG RAVE for Christopher with Sizemore Security at Doctors Hospital. He saw my elderly husband, and I needed help so he got it.

A RAVE FOR THE manager at Jiffy Lube. She was very sweet. She knew what she was doing and it is impressive.

THANK YOU, GUYS, at the Augusta Fire Department for changing my batteries in my smoke detector today.

A RAVE FOR THE receptionist at Bobby Jones Ford. I feel the need to call her every day just to hear her voice to cheer me up because she just always answers the phone so cheerfully.

RAVE ABOUT THE staff in the OfficeMax in Evans (Mullins Crossing). Not only are they helpful, they are very knowledgeable about their products.

RAVES TO BAYVALE Elementary School for its first Parent Academy. Wonderful presenters, great panel.

RAVES TO The Chronicle for the new presentation format. I think it is especially appropriate to have rearranged the daily death listing into a more horizontal posture.

RAVE FOR THE AIKEN sheriff's department. We had a couple of intruders in our yard one night, and within 30 minutes an Aiken patrol officer showed up at my door and checked out the problem. Took care of it for us, and I appreciate the service.

A BIG RAVE for the generous young man who spotted, and then changed, my flat tire, accepting only a hug as payment, and for the gentleman who patiently waited until I could unblock his car in the very cold parking lot. And, yes, I now have four new tires.

Dark_Knight
Dark_Knight 02/14/08 - 05:07 am
I had a heated debate

I had a heated debate yesterday with a coworker in regards to a victim of Katrina. Is there a time limit on how long a recovery should take? 2, 3 years? This mutual friend has not recoverd from the devastation. A spiritual advisor informed me that 5 years is sufficient. Any thoughts?

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 02/14/08 - 05:31 am
There are people still

There are people still recovering from hurricanes prior to Katrina.

He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named
He_Who_Must_Not_Be_Named 02/14/08 - 05:37 am
Question for the group. Black

Question for the group. Black History month is a good thing but is too much emphasis put on that while other parts of history get ignored? I know of a school where the principal turned away a guest speaker who was brought in to discuss the trail of tears. The same week a tribute was done to celebrate Malcolm X. Is native American history not as important?

WhiskyDick
WhiskyDick 02/14/08 - 05:49 am
Ever since American Indians

Ever since American Indians were allowed to open casinos, they lost their "victim" status. Liberals won't give you a month to celebrate your heritage unless you're a victim of society.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 02/14/08 - 06:00 am
Depends on the teacher. My

Depends on the teacher. My son said his Ga Hist teacher only talks about blacks. I know every report and project has been on a black person. He has never had a problem with blacks before. I told him just get through the next 3 months and he'll be out of there.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 02/14/08 - 06:20 am
Black history week became

Black history week became black history month and runs from the middle of January to the middle of March. Most of what is taught is real and part of American history, so what if it concentrates one type of history? At least it's history. The fact that there isn't a white history month or yellow history or red history or brown history month just means those other colors need a better lobby. With 9 months of school to choose from, there's time to fit in all of the colors. Call your congressmen and get the lobbyists moving if you want your favorite color to be featured.

LordSesshomaru
LordSesshomaru 02/14/08 - 06:45 am
As a full blooded Asian

As a full blooded Asian demon. I think I should be celibratred by all mortals at all times. You should all consider yourselves lucky that I even allow you to exist. My foolish brother Inuyasha troubles himself with the affairs of humans. Perhaps you should go to him with your petty debates.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 02/14/08 - 06:49 am
Did you smoke your breakfast

Did you smoke your breakfast again lordsesshomaru?

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 02/14/08 - 06:56 am
Good to see a lot of RAVES in

Good to see a lot of RAVES in today's paper. There are lots of folks doing lots of good everyday. But they're overlooked in favor of stories and comments about irresponsible procreators, thieves, child molesters, bomb threateners and other knuckleheads- to our detriment, I'm afraid.

Martinez
Martinez 02/14/08 - 07:00 am
Am I the only one who finds a

Am I the only one who finds a 30 minute police response time for an on-going intrusion call a bit excessive?

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 02/14/08 - 07:01 am
I was hoping that was a typo.

I was hoping that was a typo.

Think
Think 02/14/08 - 07:04 am
If being fair is the point,

If being fair is the point, then no color should stand out. Just teach history. School is no place for politics, but what could one expect from goverment schools?

Martinez
Martinez 02/14/08 - 07:16 am
When you say recover - what

When you say recover - what exactly do you mean? Physically, Emotionally, Financially? There were numerous hurricanes that year and what people don't always realize is that because of the abuse of those "Fema" cards and because of all the "stretched" insurance claims - there are people in South Florida who never received a dime of help from Fema, who still haven't settled their insurance claims and who can't even get permits to do the repair work because of the backlog and limited number of inspectors. Some people took matters into their own hands and did their own repairs but they were still required to get the finished work inspected before they could sell their property or move. Can you imagine being transferred on a job but then having your house drop in value by 40 - 50% while waiting for an inspection before you can sell it? So yes, I think people should be self-sufficient by now and not relying on the government for help but to "get over it" could take a while.

LadyCisback
LadyCisback 02/14/08 - 07:21 am
The only reason why there are

The only reason why there are a lot of raves today is because it's Valentine's Day.... I can't wait until tomorrow to see the rants too!!.. I think if there is a celebration for one race or two then there should be for all.. Either all or none.

Dark_Knight
Dark_Knight 02/14/08 - 07:26 am

Thank you Martinez, I had not realized it was that difficult for them. I can see now they need out support.

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 02/14/08 - 07:38 am
I had the same thing about

I had the same thing about Black History, in fact, if my kids don't participate in the night (6pm) PTA program for Black History, they get a bad grade! What is up with that that all the other history is out the door??? PT, you know I am not prejudice about color, but by GOD, don't push your particular color on me or it may become a racial issue in the school system. If you can't stand the trail of tears, then when exactly WILL it be taught, cause as far as I know, they no longer teach it AT ALL!

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 02/14/08 - 08:04 am
" DONT PUSH YOUR PARTICULAR

" DONT PUSH YOUR PARTICULAR COLOR ON ME." Lady do you even realized that prior to the 60's Blacks were not even considered to be humans? No one wants to push anything on you. If you do not want your child to be a part of it DONT LET HIM OR HER.

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 02/14/08 - 08:06 am
By the way, where were you

By the way, where were you when the only history there was, was " WHITE " history?

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 02/14/08 - 08:06 am
OK newflash, April is

OK newflash, April is homosexual history month, Equal Time.
My big old butt, Ya'll have a nice Day!

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 02/14/08 - 08:54 am
HYPO, you sound like you're

HYPO, you sound like you're picked on every day. You have my pity.

truthisoutthere
truthisoutthere 02/14/08 - 08:58 am
Amen Deborah, totally agree

Amen Deborah, totally agree with you. And do you all know what the Mexicans are doing now?

Give the border guards more ammo!

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 02/14/08 - 09:02 am
Rainbow coalition, diversity,

Rainbow coalition, diversity, unaccountability, love

walk_american
walk_american 02/14/08 - 09:02 am
Well my child spent Black

Well my child spent Black History month learning about hispanics and having the teacher's stand on Illegal immigration shoved down his throat. No surprise since she is hispanic but definately uncalled for. And Indians may not be considered 'victims' anymore by some but they still offically have Native American Month.

walk_american
walk_american 02/14/08 - 09:08 am
Rainbow coalition might be a

Rainbow coalition might be a good concept but will never happen because the minorities won't let it.

stillamazed
stillamazed 02/14/08 - 09:15 am
We all suffer, we all have

We all suffer, we all have crap shoved down our throats, that we aren't the least bit interested in. I say get over it, stop stressing about things you can't change and have a Happy Valentines.....

fyjigmo
fyjigmo 02/14/08 - 09:31 am
Sure would be nice if alien

Sure would be nice if alien invaders were to attack earth. Might bring all of us a little closer together.

walk_american
walk_american 02/14/08 - 09:41 am
Its hard to get over things

Its hard to get over things when it involves your children. I will let alot of things go when it comes to myself but I take it very seriously when it comes to my child. Too many parents are just letting things go and our children are paying the price.

PoliticallyNcorrect
PoliticallyNcorrect 02/14/08 - 09:45 am
If you think the black man

If you think the black man was treated bad in past history...well he had it great compared to the red man, The whiteman decided they wanted their land & did what efver it took to get it! Which included genicide, the Goverment & Military literally murdered them untill they could no longer resist the the brutal force they cast upon them. White man has proved time after time they are the most violent (CIVILIZED) HUMANS ON THIS EARTH. through out history the white man just takes what they want & has no problem with Killing to get it. Even in this modern age the white man still takes what they want...in the form of...Eminent domain...they don't murdwer to get anymore, they found a better way. In all their wisdom they simply created a LAW to force thier way of getting what they want upon American citizens, legally BY: Eminent Domain. My point is I would like to see Hillary win the race for President
because I think it's time for a Woman to have a chance to run this country, men have had their chance & in my opinion they have failed miserabley...our forefathers starrted out with good itentions but thanks to the history of the white mans greed & violence our goverment.NEXT PAGE DOWN:

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 02/14/08 - 09:47 am
PT, I do not need nor do I

PT, I do not need nor do I want anything from you. Where do you get this sound like I have been " picked on " B.S. from? I am not the one talking about being forced to celebrate " Black " Hostory month. I really do not care if it is celebrated or not. But I forgot to you all of us " Blacks" have a chip on our shoulders.

PoliticallyNcorrect
PoliticallyNcorrect 02/14/08 - 09:49 am
Has learned to do their bad

Has learned to do their bad deeds legally. Like senators, who do not have to pay taxs & retire with full pay & medical benefits for only 2 terms of elected office...NICE RETIREMENT PACKAGE ! And the list goes on & on. And most likely woman will end up just as corrupt running this country but hell lets give them a chance to prove me wrong!