Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

TO THE RANTER who said Augusta could use better customer service in its restaurants: Augusta could also use better customers in its restaurants.

TO SGT. LAFFERMAN at the Richmond County jail: Keep up the good work, and you will be rewarded in the long run.

TO THE PERSON who ranted about Hillary Clinton not controlling her husband: I don't recall anywhere in marriage vows that you're supposed to control your husband. It's not my job to control my husband. It's not her job to control hers.

I ENJOY THE ASK AMY column. Sometimes I read what she says. Sometimes I don't. If you don't like it, don't read it.

RANT TO THE PERSON who suggested that smokers eat a pack of cigarettes. I think that would kill you. Filters can't be digested.

WHEN BILL CLINTON was president, he assigned the medical care program to Hillary. She couldn't fix it then. What's changed?

A HUGE RAVE for Erick Montgomery and Historic Augusta. Their hard work toward preserving historical sites is admirable and greatly appreciated.

RANT TO THE CHRONICLE. You need to change your name to The Augusta Gazette . You've done away with the business section and the stock listings and put the important news in the back section. This is more like a gazette than a newspaper.

I BELIEVE Colin Powell. He was given false information about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. Should a Democrat running for president choose Mr. Powell as a running mate, that person would have my vote in November.

WhiskyDick
WhiskyDick 02/13/08 - 05:32 am
I swallowed a quarter once.

I swallowed a quarter once. It couldn't be digested and I'm not dead. Unless this is just a dream...wait, I see a bright light...I'm being pulled towards it! Oh, the splendor!!!...

PTHS2
PTHS2 02/13/08 - 05:50 am
WD - did it come out heads or

WD - did it come out heads or tails?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 02/13/08 - 07:08 am
Dang PTHS, you know where it

Dang PTHS, you know where it came out.

Martinez
Martinez 02/13/08 - 07:08 am
I agree with the first rant.

I agree with the first rant. I grew up in the era of eating out being a luxury not a life style. It was reserved for special occasions and as children we wouldn't have dared misbehave. But I don't think the problem is limited to restaurants. I see people letting small children run in every direction and misbehave in lots of places; bowling alley, movie theatre, banks, grocery stores etc. The same rules don't seem to apply today or at least aren't widely enforced by parents. As a child I knew not to beg or throw a fit in a store, run or even walk more then a few feet from my parents without permission, touch things that weren't mine, play with my food and the list goes on. And while I know my comments are more about kids - kids don't choose their early values, they are learned by parents, the same adults who mistreat, abuse and simply no longer appreciate those who do provide good service and/or don't recognize the value of providing good service if that is their work field.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 02/13/08 - 07:11 am
To the person confused by the

To the person confused by the Hillary comment: If your husband is a low life pile of excrement and it's alright with you, it reflects directly on you.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 02/13/08 - 07:13 am
Well said Martinez. You're on

Well said Martinez. You're on fire today.

WhoCares
WhoCares 02/13/08 - 07:39 am
Last time Hillary tried to

Last time Hillary tried to get healthcare for everyone it failed. Her program was so expensive even her fellow democrats had to vote against it. The same thing wiil happen again. Those who believe her and get let down again have only themselves to blame. Please down take the rest of us down with you. If someone stabbed you in the back and did not deliver on promises once, why give them a second chance?

LadyCisback
LadyCisback 02/13/08 - 07:46 am
Let me think.. No wait!!!!..

Let me think.. No wait!!!!.. Business hours are 8-530pm.. Leave a message after the tone..

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 02/13/08 - 07:53 am
Gee, I didn't realize the

Gee, I didn't realize the rant # 1 was about CHILDREN in restaurants. Use better costumers? Hmmm..... No. Restaurants are here to cater to the public, not the other way around. The odds of going in a restaurant, or any other place, and having to endure babies or kids acting up is pretty rare. It does happen. Usually the parent will remove the kid. When I go out to eat, I am PAYING for good service, I ain't there to make YOU happy. Although I'm a nice person. You folks are a trip.

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 02/13/08 - 07:59 am
well said???? you're on

well said???? you're on fire????????????? huh???? hey man , you're on fire today people, go get em............

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 02/13/08 - 08:02 am
thanks for kid lesson 101

thanks for kid lesson 101 martinez. you're the best. mean it.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 02/13/08 - 08:04 am
Customer Service, I will tip

Customer Service, I will tip up to 30% if I get good service. Let me list when I don't tip: When I need something and my waitperson is nowhere to be seen or outside smoking, talking on a cell phone, or flirting with the cook. When my beverage glass sits empty before me for more than 10 minutes. When my entree is delivered before my appetizer. When I am addressed as BUD or DUDE by someone who does not know me. In my younger days I worked in food and beverage and found that quick service with a smile and respect and attention to details gets you a lot larger tip. Before you complain about your customers, ask yourself this: "Are they mirroring my behaivor back to me?" You just might be surprised.

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 02/13/08 - 08:04 am
oH MGOSH. I think I AM on

oH MGOSH. I think I AM on fire today.

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 02/13/08 - 08:09 am
now that's what i'm talking

now that's what i'm talking about coldbeerboilednuts. i would have to concur. now i gotta get outta here and go to work. (i know its peanuts) tee hee

CSRAider
CSRAider 02/13/08 - 08:33 am
How about "FIRED" I also

How about "FIRED" I also believe the US found weapons OMD in Iraq but sold them to another country. Job Security my friends!!

CSRAider
CSRAider 02/13/08 - 08:36 am
Can tou smell it! Baseball is

Can tou smell it! Baseball is just around the corner! I love Baseball.

Does_it_really_matter
Does_it_really_matter 02/13/08 - 08:45 am
I can smell it....only it

I can smell it....only it smells like the paper mill plants in south augusta

PlayaFace
PlayaFace 02/13/08 - 09:26 am
i was at long horns a couple

i was at long horns a couple weeks ago with my family for dinner when this group of gypsies walked in and were seated at the table right next to us. they has an infant boy with them that kept screeching at the top of his little lungs and these pikeys just ignored it!!! this went on for about 15 minutes while the gypos talked in their "special language" and their other kids sat their playing hand held video games. FINALLY after about 15 minutes i started yelling at the gypsies but they still payed me no attention. we got the waitress to give us our food to go and went home. I HATE PIKEYS!

PlayaFace
PlayaFace 02/13/08 - 09:27 am
we still left a good tip

we still left a good tip though. it wasn't the waitress' fault

johnsmith
johnsmith 02/13/08 - 09:29 am
Couple of articles for those

Couple of articles for those who care: Stossel on "economic stimulus" (I especially like his analogy of taking a bucket of water from the deep end of the pool and putting it in the shallow end): http://townhall.com/Columnists/JohnStossel/2008/02/13/
stimulating_nonsense?page=1 Next one is Williams on regulatory "creep," using tobacco legislation as a model for other gov't controls: http://townhall.com/Columnists/WalterEWilliams/2008/02/13/
theyre_coming_after_you Have fun! shivas, Cain, don't read these. They contain facts and logical thought, and I won't be accused of making you nauseous so early in the morning :)

devilishlymad67
devilishlymad67 02/13/08 - 09:35 am
Having worked as a waitress

Having worked as a waitress to get through college at a family style restuarant (Po Folk's for those of you who have been here awhile) and I discovered several things about the "public". 1) some of your worst tippers are white collar workers i.e. men in ties. 2) Your best tippers were usually blue collar workers, i.e. back then the Bellsouth guys. 3) Race does make a difference at tip time for some reason or another one race typically tips better then the other. 4) The depression generation did not keep up with the value of a dollar. 5) Families with small children, i.e. high chair size usually allowed their children to make the nastiest messes, didn't clean up even a dropped napkin and usually left the minimum in tips. Now there are exceptions to every single one of those but those were the common situations. I had parties that tipped well, some that didn't. I had a lone gentleman tip me 100.00. But my favorite customers were an older couple that only tipped .25. The money didn' t matter with them I just enjoyed their visit. I wonder if it is the same with the customers of today.

PlayaFace
PlayaFace 02/13/08 - 09:40 am
my old room mate was a

my old room mate was a waitress and if she didnt get tipped she didnt pay rent... hence the reason why i tip so well now.

WW1949
WW1949 02/13/08 - 09:42 am
Most gupsies allow their kids

Most gupsies allow their kids to do anything at the table and when they leave there is food all over the table and on the floor.
They also do not leave good tips.Try the Red Lobster on Sat night on Washington Rd if you want a dose.

Eric
Eric 02/13/08 - 09:43 am
I hope none of y'all are on

I hope none of y'all are on fire like Richard Pryor. Hey that rhymed.

mommato2
mommato2 02/13/08 - 09:49 am
We enjoy eating out with our

We enjoy eating out with our children, but we don't take them to fancy restaurants, b/c I find that rude. We've taken them to Bonefish Grill before. They know they'd better behave no matter where we go, b/c if I have to, I will take them to the restroom. One time, I was in a restaurant with my son, when he was still eating Cheerios, instead of "real food", and he knocked the whole thing of Cheerios off the table. I got up and asked the server for a broom to pick them up and she said, "no, we'll get it." Well, I felt bad about that, so I picked them up with my napkin. She came over with a broom and said, "why'd you pick them up, I would have gotten them?" And I said, "b/c my child dropped them and we didn't want to leave a mess for someone else to clean up." She said that a lot of people wouldn't do that, they'd just leave it for the workers. I don't want to be like that. I agree that customers can be a pain too...and children can be a problem too. My children have acted out in a restaurant, but we quickly took care of the problem before it could disturb anyone's dinner. We'll pack "busy" things for the babies: crayons, paper, sippies, snack that can be their appetizer.

mommie2
mommie2 02/13/08 - 09:52 am
Never go to the Wendy's on

Never go to the Wendy's on Walton Way. The absolute worst customer service ever!

mojo
mojo 02/13/08 - 09:58 am
I think I've been ignored by

I think I've been ignored by the first ranter or at least by his or her ilk. The entire concept of wanting better customers is flawed - there will always be exceptions to the rule but most folks are civil and generally nice folks - if you take the time to provide good service you'll learn this. If instead you spend day after day, week after week, year after year ignoring the folks you're supposed to serve - eventually you'll end up posting a stupid rant in the local newspaper.

rufus
rufus 02/13/08 - 10:13 am
Patience? Who wants to hear

Patience? Who wants to hear that word? I'll tell you this: If the only thing you think about is the future, it's going to be somebody else's."

--Jimmy Johnson,
sportscaster and former professional football coach

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 02/13/08 - 10:14 am
PT, I guess good old

PT, I guess good old Republican Rudy, was the idea person for what a good husband should be like?

Eric
Eric 02/13/08 - 10:17 am
A big RAVE for Martinez

A big RAVE for Martinez Animal Hospital, Dr. Brown, and his entire staff. I walked in yesterday morning the moment they opened the door with one of our cats. We had her for 20 years, which is about 96 years in cat years. I knew she was dying; but, didn't know why. They were so caring and compassionate. We had to put her to sleep. Even when I picked up her body, the ladies there kept saying they were so sorry. It was a good experience during a bad situation.

Gander Mountain opens

Outdoor retailer Gander Mountain opened at 9 a.m. today at 145 Mason McKnight Jr. Parkway, across from CarMax.