Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

CONGRATULATIONS TO Aramis Hillary who got the Deon Grant Award. Just joking, but does that mean he was granted the Grant Grant?

BUSH AND CONGRESS HAVE "forged" a tax rebate deal that will "rush" money to some, hoping those recipients will quickly spend the money. This is exactly backwards, and Bush and the Congress know that. People need to SAVE, not spend.

AFTER DOZENS OF E-MAILS and messages, someone in Augusta finally got it: I'm so glad that we are finally going to have a dog park. We need to go one step further, and make it an off-leash dog park.

I WAS LOOKING at the paper because it doesn't have any news in it anymore.

RANTS CONCERNING The Augusta Chronicle's new format. It's like a dead skunk in the middle of the road. It stinks to high, high heaven.

THANK YOU , Augusta Chronicle, for revamping your newspaper. It is much more interesting now and I am really enjoying it.

I'VE BEEN TAKING The Chronicle for a lot more than 50 years. I even took the Herald when you had it. I DO NOT LIKE THIS NEW FORMAT. GIVE ME MY OLD CHRONICLE BACK!

I'D LIKE TO KNOW WHY The Chronicle is taking most of the business section away?

HOW MUCH MORE BONEHEAD stuff do the Coliseum Authority board members need to do to prove this board is scarcely or barely capable of managing their own selves.

SINGING HILLS ANTIQUE store in North Augusta is a wonderful treasure.

RICHMOND SCHOOL Superintendent Mr. Bedden wants to extend the school year to make up for time lost because of bomb threats. I think it is fantastic. Maybe these people will stop making up these foolish bomb threats.

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 02/11/08 - 05:26 am
And people wonder why I quit

And people wonder why I quit buying the paper last year. The coupons started to get really thin on food items and started going towards ads and things I DON'T want, and replacing food coupons with nothing but junk. Not worth my dollar for that, and now this "change" in the Augusta Chronicle to where a lot of people are in need of more business facts and getting a bunch of BULL!

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 02/11/08 - 06:49 am
I like reading Edgefields

I like reading Edgefields paper online, they seem to have alot of fun over there.

Martinez
Martinez 02/11/08 - 07:02 am
Maybe Columbia County should

Maybe Columbia County should follow suit on Bedden's idea and solve the bomb threat circus at Greenbrier. Just imagine how quickly those interuptions will stop if students know they might have to cancel or postpone their summer travel plans.

AmericanRose
AmericanRose 02/11/08 - 07:15 am
So lets make everybody suffer

So lets make everybody suffer for a few bad apples. That should make the majority of parents happy. Mr. Bedden, you might need to rethink this one.

saywhat
saywhat 02/11/08 - 07:17 am
Bomb threats at Greenbrier?

Bomb threats at Greenbrier? Why haven't we heard about those in the media? Oh, because that is Columbia County!

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 02/11/08 - 07:18 am
I think that idea got shot

I think that idea got shot down last year because there wasn't extra gas in the budget.

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 02/11/08 - 07:27 am
I like reading

I like reading EdgefieldDaily.com also. I lived there for 16 years and like keeping up with things there. What's up with all the mud boggin' arrests? It's Edgefield for cying out loud! I've even "bogged" myself in my old 81 Escort. If they want them to stop, just pave all the dirt roads. How hard is that to figure out?

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 02/11/08 - 07:50 am
How bout the kids shooting

How bout the kids shooting the SKS and drinking beer, I remember the good ole days.

wise ole man
wise ole man 02/11/08 - 07:55 am
Not only is the media kept in

Not only is the media kept in the dark about happenings at Grrenbiar, but many of the parents do not know what goes on at Greenbiar. If they did, there would a mass exodus from here. THe principal does not allow the teachers to talk about it. If it weren't for the students, the parents would not know anything.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 02/11/08 - 08:02 am
I think Dr. Bedden has hit on

I think Dr. Bedden has hit on the right idea, if all the kids know that bomb threats will extend the school year then they will be a lot more willing to turn in the culprits, which will discourage others from following suit. I also think the parents should have to reimburse the county for all the expenses involved in responding to these threats. If I recall right the figure comes to about $5000 per incident, just for the public safety aspect, then you need to factor in all the nonproductive time of all the school employees, (teachers, cooks, staff) which I would guess would come in close to $10,000 more. Now, just how harmless is that little phone call to get out of a test?

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 02/11/08 - 08:40 am
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO IS BUY A

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO IS BUY A HOUSE WITH A BIGGER YARD FOR YOUR DOG. At the very least pay for it with private funds.

getalife
getalife 02/11/08 - 08:52 am
I understood WRDW reporters

I understood WRDW reporters to state the Golf and Gardens would open one day a week to allow dogs to roam freely. Unless the dogs owners scoop up the dog's poop, then I would not want to visit the gardens. My neighbors provide enough dog poop in my yard with their animals.

chrisbb5
chrisbb5 02/11/08 - 09:18 am
Dogs Poop it's what they do.

Dogs Poop it's what they do. A dog park is a great idea. Think of all the people who live in town homes and have little bitty yards. They can't have dogs just because they live in a town home? I would much rather see my taxes being spent on something for the public than some pay increase for a city official who doesn't jack diddly in the first place. Just put a dog waste area and use it in compost it's not rocket science.

pofwe
pofwe 02/11/08 - 09:26 am
The new format will become a

The new format will become a non-issue in 21 days.

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 02/11/08 - 09:44 am
I rather my taxes go to the

I rather my taxes go to the Homeless and the needy.

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 02/11/08 - 10:02 am
We are half way through the

We are half way through the primaries and I would like to know, where are the conservatives?The presumptive nominee John McCain, is about as conservative as I am. He did not support the tax cuts or the war in Iraq. Conservatives have talked and dogged liberals for years. Now in the middle of an election for the highest office in the land, voters have rejected your candidates and message. Who is in charge of this shipwreck?Here in Georgia you chose Mike Huckabee, he will need a miracle to come back.Let me be the first to congratulate you, on being the biggest losers this election cycle.Better luck next time, nah just kidding.

mojo
mojo 02/11/08 - 10:12 am
RE the RANT against the tax

RE the RANT against the tax "Rebate" - the government doesn't want us to save too much - look at the bill - those who pay most of the taxes and would likely save the money are left out in the cold (basically mugged - i.e. why is it called a "Rebate"). Further look at limits on retirement retirement savings - why do we limit tax exempt savings on retirement? And strip the savings back out entirely with the nastly AMT provisions? It's simple - politicians want us on a short leash so we're supposed to depend on them for nonsense like this half-baked tax "Rebate".

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 02/11/08 - 10:14 am
"wiseoleman," A solution to

"wiseoleman,"

A solution to your problem of principal abuse can be had by calling 737-4040 and asking for Jack.

Eric
Eric 02/11/08 - 10:19 am
Good morning ladies and

Good morning ladies and gentlemen, you too CBBP. RCR, McCain did vote for the use of military force against Iraq on 10/11/2002, check the following: http://www.votesmart.org/voting_category.php?can_id=53270. Scroll down to the military issues. He has supported this war from day one. The reason McCain is leading in the primaries is because we are at war. McCain would not make a good peace time president. Another reason he is the leader in the primaries is his strong will and saying what he feels even if it isn't politically correct and goes against the majority.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 02/11/08 - 10:21 am
I predict that by July the

I predict that by July the Augusta Gardens will smell just like an unwashed kennel. Not a place I'd like to take anyone for a picnic. While a dog park is a great idea, who will clean it up and take care of it. The ARC can't even maintain what they have now!
Dog owners clean up after their dogs, get real people. Dog poop as compost, nah, it kills everything if comes in contact with. If you can't provide for it within your own means and without the governments help then your just asking for doggy welfare. IMHO if you choose to live in a place without adequate grounds for an animal then you should not burden others with the responsibility of cleaning up after it. In other words, if your Grandmother doesnt' want it in her yard, why impose it on the rest of us. Now sit down, shut up, quit waggin you tail and stop ruining my life.
Ya'll have a nice day!

Eric
Eric 02/11/08 - 10:24 am
Changing your screen name to

Changing your screen name to MADColdBeerBoiledPeanuts?

walk_american
walk_american 02/11/08 - 10:29 am
This is a rant for Evans

This is a rant for Evans Middle School. You need to monitor just what your teachers are doing in class. How dare you allow a teacher at your school to scare and intimidate students. While teaching the children about South American and other Hispanic nations she has made each of the children create a passport for a hispanic country and told them they are now citizens of that country. Then if they do not have the passport with them she declares they are illegal and tells them that "little green men" are coming to get them and deport them out of the United States. She even makes them stand in the hall to wait to be deported. She even had one child in tears actually believing someone was coming to get him. She is also telling the children that by year 2012 there will be over 20 percent more hispanics here than there are now and that if our children do not speak spanish then they won't get a job and she is happy about this. She is Mexican and I feel that she is pushing her personal political views and agendas on our children. Get her out of the school or put her in line Evans Middle. If you don't some parent will.

mojo
mojo 02/11/08 - 10:30 am
Sounds like a business

Sounds like a business opportunity - pooper scoopers - get a contract with the county and dump all the refuse collected at commision meetings - doubt they'd notice.

Rose
Rose 02/11/08 - 10:32 am
I understood that the ones

I understood that the ones making bomb threats would be the ones going extra days to school. I might be wrong, but that is the way I read and heard.

Eric
Eric 02/11/08 - 10:33 am
mojo, there isn't any more

mojo, there isn't any more room at the commission meetings for that! ;-)

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 02/11/08 - 10:49 am
RollTide, you are correct, he

RollTide, you are correct, he did indeed support the war.The president said John McCain is a true conservative.Yet he voted against the tax cuts. No true conservative would vote down tax cuts. What happened to the conservatives? Why are voters seemingly rejecting their message?

Eric
Eric 02/11/08 - 10:56 am
Like I said, I think it's

Like I said, I think it's because of the war and the fact that McCain is viewed by most republicans to be the only viable person to leads us through the war. A lot of them feel he is the only one that can beat Hillary or Obama too. If this were a peace time election you would most likely see Romney in the lead. I didn't vote for McCain because he is so liberal; but, if he is the guy going up against either of the dems, I'll have to vote for him because then it is truly a selection of the lesser evils. I know Hillary isn't quallified to be president. Obama doesn't have enough experience and if you take an objective view at his voting record, you'll see the man hasn't done a lot. This is going to be a historic year though. Not since JFK have we elected someone from Washington. Looks like at this point we will be left no choice. The reason is we don't usually elect people that do nothing which is what they do up there. We elect doers.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 02/11/08 - 11:05 am
Roll on big Tide!

Roll on big Tide!

Eric
Eric 02/11/08 - 11:06 am
Morning there PUTT. How are

Morning there PUTT. How are ya today?

Rose
Rose 02/11/08 - 11:13 am
My 9:32 post was wrong. The

My 9:32 post was wrong. The extended school yr would be for all students, which is unfair.

Vogtle workforce hits 4,200

About 4,200 workers are employed at the Plant Vogtle expansion project where the first two reactors built in the U.S. in more than three decades are rising from the red clay.