Rants and raves

Comments from our readers

A HUGE RAVE for Heartsong Spay and Neuter Clinic for providing a tremendous community service by offering expert sterilization procedures at discounted prices. More than 2,608 dogs and cats have been spayed and neutered since the clinic opened.

TO THE AUGUSTA LYNX game night staff: Kudos for turning lemons into lemonade! Last month's two-hour delay was entertaining and downright fun.

A RANT FOR GEORGIA'S 3 percent raise for state employees. What a slap in the face.

TO THE PERSON who ranted about Bill Gates and Warren Buffett not paying taxes on their charitable contributions: At least none of that money will go toward Dubai's gift of bombs and other weapons for Saudi Arabia.

A RAVE TO THE Richmond County Sheriff's Office DUI task force. Thank you for making our streets safer to drive on. If you are the one drinking and driving, I hope they catch you.

A CHRISTMAS BONUS for Richmond County employees -- what is that? But I am sure the "commissioners" had the county pay for their Christmas party.

WHERE IS THE liberals' mindless mantra "separation of church and state!" when the Democrat candidates campaign in churches? Why is it OK for reverends/pastors to support Democrat candidates, but it is not OK for reverends/pastors to support Republican candidates? The liberals' rhetoric becomes just hot air. Maybe we've found the cause of global warming.

TO THE PERSON complaining about the slow computers in the school classrooms. This is a common problem which is caused by hundreds of students a day using the computers and leaving behind hundreds of files that clog up and slow down the computer. The problem can be fixed with a computer "tune-up" or "disk cleanup," an easy procedure which can be accomplished by a teacher who receives proper instructions.

HEADLINE: "BUSH ASKS allies for help to curb threat from Iran." These "allies" Bush is talking to are Muslim leaders of Muslim-controlled countries.

ADM. MICHAEL MULLEN, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, is worried about the "image" of the United States abroad. Clearly, he is a politician and not a military leader; thus he should be fired.

SPEAKING OF STATE tax cuts, Sonny Perdue says, "I don't hear a hue and cry from our citizens on that." Since when did Perdue ever act after hearing from the citizens?

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 02/02/08 - 01:50 am
A slap in the face? I got

A slap in the face? I got 2.99 percent. I'll take any raise big or small.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 02/02/08 - 02:00 am
We need all the help we can

We need all the help we can get from Muslim leaders of Muslim-controlled countries. Who else would we ask? france? Fidel? Hugo?

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 02/02/08 - 02:39 am
Are you talking about

Are you talking about catching me drinking and driving or catching the DUI Task Force drinking and driving?

pro@this
pro@this 02/02/08 - 05:10 am
Raises and bonuses?

Raises and bonuses? Self-entitlement is so ugly!

pro@this
pro@this 02/02/08 - 05:13 am
But then again, I guess only

But then again, I guess only government workers are entitled to a raise or a bonus, and the poor, minimum wage earner gets none, but sure has to work harder to make up for that missing amount from their paychecks due to the increase in taxes they have to pay to the government!

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 02/02/08 - 05:39 am
My raise was 2.99% but BB/BS

My raise was 2.99% but BB/BS went up 8%. What is minimum wage now? I havn't made that in 25 years.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 02/02/08 - 06:04 am
A rant for a 3% raise for a

A rant for a 3% raise for a state employee? You work for the government because of benefits and job security. You still get regular raises equal to estimated c.o.l.a. . I know an employee is supposed to whine about his/her raise, but don't expect sympathy here.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 02/02/08 - 06:10 am
I meant BC/BS

I meant BC/BS

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 02/02/08 - 06:11 am
Dittos on the Sonny Perdue

Dittos on the Sonny Perdue complaint. The Governor often acts as though he's part of a representative republic instead of a democracy. What in the world could he be thinking?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 02/02/08 - 06:13 am
Augusta resident, are you

Augusta resident, are you locked into your ins. company or can you do comparative shopping?

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 02/02/08 - 06:23 am
CYDICK, AND DANI. Gee your

CYDICK, AND DANI. Gee your comments were so hurtful yesterday. I think I'm gonna cry. Yall can help remove the planks out of each others eyes. IDIOTS.

PTHS2
PTHS2 02/02/08 - 06:46 am
angie - I (too) was born in

angie - I (too) was born in 1961, it's a bit early for signs of dementia to be appearing. What's going on?

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 02/02/08 - 06:47 am
My health insurance carrier

My health insurance carrier is Blue Cross/Blue Shield. I have several choices I am looking at. I'm nervous about switching because of the pre-existing thing.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 02/02/08 - 06:57 am
Let me be a little more

Let me be a little more clearer. My pay raise was 2.99%. My health insurance went up 8%. There clear as mud. Now I just have to remember to go file my homestead exemption before Fred gets the rest.

WhiskyDick
WhiskyDick 02/02/08 - 07:02 am
Minimum wage earners pay no

Minimum wage earners pay no federal income tax. You pay entitlement taxes, such as Medicare, but you don't pay income tax. In fact, you get the Earned Income Credit, which is money taken directly from me and given to you. But as long as you keep playing the lottery, my kid goes to college for free.

JonnRandalphHardisonCain
JonnRandalphHardisonCain 02/02/08 - 07:14 am
2.99% of your pay is more

2.99% of your pay is more than 8% of what you pay to BC/BS, so the net increase in pay is still up. You are not taking a % of the same number! It's about math, Augusta resident. Besides, most of the employees probably didn't deserve 2.99%.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 02/02/08 - 07:25 am
I didn't say I deserve it, I

I didn't say I deserve it, I said I take every little bit they give me and I'm happy with it. Matter of fact I should give some back.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 02/02/08 - 07:38 am
I guess I'll go get those

I guess I'll go get those chicken biscuits since everyone is being fuddie-dudduies. Wonder if I can get 8 of em for $2.99

ListenAndLearn
ListenAndLearn 02/02/08 - 07:52 am
Could you grab me a chicken

Could you grab me a chicken biscuit while you're out?

JonnRandalphHardisonCain
JonnRandalphHardisonCain 02/02/08 - 08:08 am
Let's say you make $12 an

Let's say you make $12 an hour. (sorta low for a govn't job) Now let's say your BC/BS payment is $150/week (That's higher than most) If your pay goes up 2.99% and your insurance goes up 8% that means your pay went up $14.35 and your insurance went up $12. Looks like a net increase to me.

dthompson
dthompson 02/02/08 - 08:17 am
Augusta Resident- As long as

Augusta Resident- As long as you do not have a lapse in coverage, pre-existing does not apply. You can change your plan benefit levels or leave a job and pick up new coverage- but as long as you remain covered- an insurance company cannot penalize you with pre-existing.

keysplease
keysplease 02/02/08 - 08:17 am
Computers in the RC schools

Computers in the RC schools are protected by Deep Freeze. You can't change anything on them (not even update the anti virus software) unless the media specialist does it for you. With less than 7 computer techs working for the entire school system, it's a wonder the network is up and running at all.

intheknow
intheknow 02/02/08 - 08:19 am
How did 2.99% of $12 become

How did 2.99% of $12 become $2.35 ? Must be that NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND MATH?

Martinez
Martinez 02/02/08 - 08:20 am
We are in a recessive

We are in a recessive environment right now so the fact that you got a raise, of any amount, is surprising. And if your health insurance went up 8%, so too did the portion your employer pays. If I had to guess, I would say it went up more then 8% and your employer obsorbed an even bigger portion of that increase then you did. Just be grateful - it wasn't that long ago that many companies were asking people to take pay cuts (following 9/11) or laying off employees in mass just to prove their "leanness" and attempt to stabilize stock prices. The cost of everything has increased, largely due to increased transportation costs so the only people really getting raises right now are those in oil. Exxon produced record profits last quarter while all of us produced record losses in terms of buying power.

Fire n Ice
Fire n Ice 02/02/08 - 08:23 am
DAmn...at least you/they got

DAmn...at least you/they got an effing raise!

JonnRandalphHardisonCain
JonnRandalphHardisonCain 02/02/08 - 08:25 am
$12 X 40 hours a week = $480

$12 X 40 hours a week = $480 X 2.99% = $14.38 per week increase. Hope that clears it up! My math is dead on.

intheknow
intheknow 02/02/08 - 08:25 am
Martinez, maybe where you

Martinez, maybe where you work the employer's part went up. At my daughter's job her pay did not go up but her payments went from $24 every pay period to $74 every pay period. Her employer's part went DOWN that amount. So not every employer is as good to their employees as yours appears to be.

dthompson
dthompson 02/02/08 - 08:28 am
I have had an incredibly busy

I have had an incredibly busy week at work and have not had the time to rant about an outrageous thing this past week. Anyone happen to be at the basketball game at Evans Middle last Wednesday night from 7-8PM? My son has played for Columbia County (various sports) for many years, and I have never been so appalled at the behavior of one coach and the referee's. The game was very rough- kids were continually being knocked down- the other teams' coach, in my opinion, was out of control. With 2 minutes left in the game, we were losing by 5 points, one of smaller boys was knocked to the floor and hit his head so hard, he couldn't get up. The game wasn't stopped, the just basically ran around him. Our coach ran out on the floor to get him up, he staggered around for a few seconds, the parents went wild.........IT WAS TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!
The buzzer went off and it appeared that parents from both teams stormed the floor in anger at how this game was handled. I gathered my children and left. I do not understand what sort of sportsmanship this teaches our kids. The other coach was not concerned in the least about the injured kid.

JonnRandalphHardisonCain
JonnRandalphHardisonCain 02/02/08 - 08:31 am
I don't like paying for

I don't like paying for insurance any more than the next guy, but learn to stop distorting the math, people.

dthompson
dthompson 02/02/08 - 08:35 am
I work for an oncology group

I work for an oncology group in augusta, and trust me, insurance may be high, but its worth it when you need it. I see people devastated with news everyday, and have no coverage to help pay for treatments. The ages of our patients are getting younger everyday. Be thankful its even offered to you.

High court rules in probation case

Georgia's Supreme Court issued a unanimous decision concluding that it is legal for local courts to contract with private companies to supervise offenders on probation for minor violations.