Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

THE RALEIGH News & Observer writes that the U.S. should reduce the size of its firepower. The News & Observer is clearly not observant. Reducing your firepower is asking to be attacked.

MY RANT is to law enforcement. I notice outdated paper tags and handwritten tags on pieces of cardboard on newly purchased autos all the time. Why is it that maybe a day or two after the tag on my car is expired I get pulled over, but you never see those people pulled over?

IT IS WONDERFUL that our ingenious governor wants to spend $50 million for land conservation. Now we will have somewhere to bury the 70,000 children he is robbing of health care.

THIS IS A RANT for the person who said the only difference between Columbia County and Richmond County is money. Has he not noticed that most people in Columbia County work, pay taxes and earn a paycheck?

ONCE AGAIN, Congressman Paul Broun's office has its "robo-phone" call my house. Listen carefully, goofball: When you show me that kind of disrespect, you are guaranteed to lose my vote.

THE SAME POLITICIANS who are opposed to placing a plaque on Riverwalk honoring the late Mayor Charles DeVaney don't seem to have any problem with naming streets, roads, highways, bridges and intersections after themselves. What a joke.

If you have an opinion you want to share with other newspaper readers, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augusta chronicle.com.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/25/08 - 05:34 am
If you don't like where our

If you don't like where our "ingenious governor" spends money, replace him with one that spends money the way you like. Your perspective seems like one with an easy solution. Your whine also makes you appear like a genius.

msgret92
msgret92 01/25/08 - 07:01 am
Unless those 70000 children's

Unless those 70000 children's parents are are disabled, they are responsible for there health care not the state or federal taxpayers. Lets put the blame where it should be.

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 01/25/08 - 07:38 am
To the "mad expired tag

To the "mad expired tag ranter". Don't try to deflect your wrong doings on other folks errors. You should have paid your tag fee before it was late. Bottom line. So take responsibility for yourself whiny baby. You were late, oooooookk......So go pay your late fee like a good little ranter. OH AND I SERIOUSLY DOUBT IT WAS ONLY A COUPLE DAYS LATE.

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 01/25/08 - 07:44 am
COLUMBIA COUNTY VERSES

COLUMBIA COUNTY VERSES RICHMOND. People, come on. This little war ya'll have going on is looking a little juvenile. Always has.
I was raised in Richmond cty and now live in Columbia cty. Whoopy Do. Fa la la la la.....GROW UP.

Bored in GA
Bored in GA 01/25/08 - 07:54 am
Excuse me but most of the

Excuse me but most of the people I know in Richmond county work too! We know you from Columbia county work , most of you in Richmond county! And we welcome all new estblishments to South Augusta! GO IHOP!!!

workingmom
workingmom 01/25/08 - 08:00 am
I agree with you msgret92.

I agree with you msgret92. However, it is unfortunate for those children who may not get the health care they need because of their parents' refusal to support them. I do agree there may be circumstances where people need support. I just don't agree with paying for those who will not or refuse to help themselves before asking for a hand out. Oops! It's getting late! I need to leave for work....I live in Columbia County!

pointstoponder
pointstoponder 01/25/08 - 08:18 am
The News and Observer has

The News and Observer has always been somewhere to the left of Karl Marx.

Bizarro
Bizarro 01/25/08 - 08:31 am
I don't see the competition

I don't see the competition between Columbia and Richmond county. It is a no brainer. Columbia is superior with better schools, better educated, better incomes, better class, and half of the affluent neighborhoods are black so there are no racial overtones. I can't wait till I can move there. Just kiddin. We are all Georgians. Counties don't matter except for a little sports competition.

FrankRizzo
FrankRizzo 01/25/08 - 08:45 am
I am so sick of hearing the

I am so sick of hearing the difference between Columbia County and Richmond County. Grow up people!!!!!! We all live in the CSRA and when i go on vacation i say I am from Augusta Ga. I live in Columbia County, work on FT Gordon and shop and eat in Richmond County. If we dont stop crying about where we live we will never get better!!!!!

dani
dani 01/25/08 - 08:51 am
It's not just placing a

It's not just placing a plaque, it is the entire over done mess of personal names. It's hard to find a highway anymore, i.e. it's not called Hwy 56 it's called ..what? It's crazy. Stop the madness.

digmick
digmick 01/25/08 - 08:54 am
On a different note, I

On a different note, I noticed that WSRC is challenging the contract award at SRS. The biggest change in the contract would be that 100 of senior management would lose their jobs. If only they would have fought with such zeal when the "regular" workers lost their jobs in past layoffs.

rwyatt26
rwyatt26 01/25/08 - 09:14 am
I agree with proud_in CSRA.

I agree with proud_in CSRA. We are all from the same area and we frequent the same places in the area. We need to get over this mentality of division.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 01/25/08 - 09:16 am
Burke County beats out

Burke County beats out Richmond and Columbia Counties by a mile, The highest unemployment rate, the highest percentage of poverty and one of the higher dropout rates. Now Top That!

johnsmith
johnsmith 01/25/08 - 09:45 am
The only person who can "rob"

The only person who can "rob" a child of healthcare (by which I assume you mean health insurance) is that child's parent. Since most of us found out, at around age 12 or earlier, where babies come from, we had some time to get used to the idea that certain activities might result in parenthood. We then get to DECIDE whether or not to engage in those activities. Heck, the same political party that wants to cover healthcare for all those children, thinks it's ok for a woman to DECIDE not to have the child at all. And then, once the child is born, you can DECIDE to spend a couple hundred a month on health insurance, or you can DECIDE to spend a couple hundred a month on cable, the cellphone, a nicer car, etc. Of course, once you DECIDE not to take care of your children, you engage your political party to deprive me of the right to decide anything. You use the police power of the state to take my earnings and pay for all the things you DECIDED not to take responsibility for. I'm a pragmatist; I don't expect this to change, and God knows you're getting my money, but I'll be damned if I'll take seriously the deranged rantings of anyone who says we're not doing enough already. Idiot.

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 01/25/08 - 09:55 am
Don't worry folks, people in

Don't worry folks, people in Richmond and Columbia all make paychecks, some more money than others and only want to push it back in faces of those who have less money to spend cause they are feeling richer...Let this whiner have his day to whine, cause that is all he can do now. This economy has effected all of us to where we are at each others throats for petty things and this won't change our outcome until we can change our outlook on things. I think we are getting more bitter when we are feeling more of the pinch than that of our local and federal government electives at this point, so now is the time to make a strong voice heard!

jack
jack 01/25/08 - 09:59 am
I can't improve on your

I can't improve on your response John Smith. Dead on target.

426Hemi
426Hemi 01/25/08 - 10:04 am
angie1961, I'm sure most of

angie1961, I'm sure most of those jack-asses, maybe even you; don't carry insurance as required by law. I took a few pics of some clown (maybe you) who had a hand-SCRAWLED tag. He (maybe you) kept looking in his mirror wondering why someone would take a pic of his 1970 pick-up. Certainly wasn't because of the "pristine" condition of the bald-tierd, rusted hulk that in itself is a menace to every driver around.

digmick
digmick 01/25/08 - 10:07 am
Mr. Smith, I assume that you

Mr. Smith, I assume that you are against abortion. What happens in the case of a woman who is raped and becomes pregnant? The woman works, but doesn't make a great deal of money because the owner of the business believes that he or she should get most of the rewards. The owner of the business doesn't offer health care. Now, the child becomes ill.

thugskin
thugskin 01/25/08 - 10:08 am
Does anyone know what

Does anyone know what happened at Goshen Elementary. The Brick road sign was smashed to bits. Did a car fly off the road?

everwonderwhy
everwonderwhy 01/25/08 - 10:20 am
msgret & johnsmith - I

msgret & johnsmith - I totally agree. Well said.

Bizarro
Bizarro 01/25/08 - 10:43 am
Well the only thing we can

Well the only thing we can add to johnsmiths comments are that we should force abortions and sterility in that population. We don't want an ever expanding welfare class. Eugenics does have a place. Perhaps we could grind them up into Soylent Green. Dang a little frustrated aren't we. Me too! He does make a point. Dem do have a schizo view towards babies-one sense their just refuse to be aborted or a resource for some cells for research, and then suddenly get a conscious and want the state to support their existence.

digmick
digmick 01/25/08 - 10:49 am
I'm just saying, when does

I'm just saying, when does the life a child not become precious?

happythoughts
happythoughts 01/25/08 - 10:50 am
The tax rebate is a quick fix

The tax rebate is a quick fix to circulate money back into the system. On the other hand you should be saving money for your future needs and at the same time most people have bills that need paying, so what should we do? I have savings, my bills are paid, so I'm going to buy a flat screen TV and help out the economy. The rebate is a fix for the things done wrong like inflatable interest rates, not having a nest egg and making poor decisions with your money. Are you going to pay bills with it or help out?

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/25/08 - 11:09 am
I'm gonna spend some on beer,

I'm gonna spend some on beer, some on gambling, some on women. The rest I am gonna just waste.

Rose
Rose 01/25/08 - 11:11 am
Does anyone here know how

Does anyone here know how much money The US sends to children in other countries? We need to make sure our children in this country have healthcare before we give it to other countries. I know parents should have insurance for their kids, but the burden should not be on one parent. Get child support services to get off their lazy behinds and get child support for some of these kids. My 4 yr old grandson gets medicaid. The state claims they are going to try to get his biological father to pay it all back. They won't do that. It has been a few yrs and child support papers have not been served on him yet. Children are precious. They are our country's future.

Rose
Rose 01/25/08 - 11:14 am
And don't anyone holler that

And don't anyone holler that my grandson is getting foodstamps and welfare, because he is not.

johnsmith
johnsmith 01/25/08 - 11:19 am
digmick, Bizarro, you're both

digmick, Bizarro, you're both wrong. I have no political position on abortion. You resort to ad hominem attacks, when what I did was point out an inconsistency in your unreasonable political philosophy. The same party that says that a woman can choose to have an abortion is the party that says that when she chooses not to do so, I will be forced to pay the child's bills. That's stupid. If you tell me that she has perfect freedom to choose not to give birth to the child, you can't also tell me that she has no choice when it comes to supporting the child she chose to bear. I am NOT saying that we should "abort all those babies," I am saying that YOUR party's failure to think logically results in MY having to pay money that should be used to support MY child. I pay it, but stop telling me that I should pay more, or that I should be happy to pay it. That, too, is stupid. And by the way, could we get rid of the tired old "rape & incest" arguments. I'll bet a dollar, right now, that 99% of anti-abortion voters would be THRILLED if the only abortions performed were in cases of rape/incest. I don't think those account for 1,000,000 abortions/year.

dani
dani 01/25/08 - 11:20 am
The money is not coming until

The money is not coming until May or after. So just run up your credit card balance and then start whining again about no money to pay the bills. + I wonder how many will use it to get health insurance for their children.

Rose
Rose 01/25/08 - 11:30 am
I am against abortion except

I am against abortion except when it comes to save the mother or save the baby. then it should be the woman's choice.A baby is a living human being. there are couples that want to adopt, but can't pay thousands of dollars to adopt. I know a couple who would give a child a good loving home.They have no kids of their own.

sanders20
sanders20 01/25/08 - 11:34 am
can the AC please start a

can the AC please start a petition to get 92.3 back? please I'll pay you!!