Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

RANT TO WHOEVER stole my plant off of my carport on Glenn Hills Drive. I hope whoever you gave it to is enjoying it!

A BIG RAVE to our Georgia highway designers: We are so happy that you had the foresight to construct the cement walls along Interstate 20 for our local graffiti artists. How long before we see the results of their work on both sides of the state-supplied "canvas"?

A RAVE FOR Richmond County street sweepers. They did a great job in Kingswood subdivision recently. You can tell another city worker took pride in his job. Thank you.

A RAVE FOR Sylvia Cooper. Her Sunday articles are the most interesting of anything in the paper to me. They are always full of Augusta news, politics, etc. Excellent!

I'VE BEEN TO GERMANY. It's clean, modern, efficient, and the people are highly educated. It baffles me why anyone in their right mind would want to leave Germany to emigrate to Augusta.

A RANT FOR THE DRIVERS of Augusta. You folks don't know how to drive.

JUST LIKE TO THANK coach Tony Robinson and coach Clint Sherman for being role models for so many kids in Augusta and for south Augusta athletics. You can see the results in girls basketball around the CSRA. Thanks.

I WANT TO KNOW what do people get out of shooting someone? Don't you know that is the coward's way out of a situation?

A RANT TO THE CHRONICLE. You call yourselves a free press but you only print those opinions that jibe with your agenda. Shame on you.

RANT TO ALL the drivers who can't seem to turn on their lights in the rain. It is hard enough to see as it is.

I WAS SADDENED to see a well-respected person in the community left out of your Dec. 31 Year in Review-Area Deaths-Lives lost touched Community. I certainly think David Robert Darby should have been on that list. I realize everyone can't be included, but his involvement in Golden Harvest Food Bank, the YMCA and Richmond County Planning and Zoning, to mention a few, gives good reason. His funeral service was the largest I have ever attended. I am truly shocked at this oversight.

I WANTED TO THANK the Augusta police who helped an old lady who was stuck on Gordon Highway and Deans Bridge Road, stalled at the light. They're good people. Thank you.

A BIG RAVE for Bryan Foster, The Augusta Chronicle delivery man in the Highland Avenue area. You are a very nice person with a big heart with a lot of respect. You always deliver the paper on time, and the paper is always at arm's reach.

If you have an opinion you want to share with other newspaper readers, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augusta chronicle.com.

Dan White 01/17/08 - 09:42 am
I suppose Maner would think

I suppose Maner would think that if Mr. Atkins said that Dr. Frazier had black skin, kinky hair, and thick lips that comment would have been racist too. Why is describing a person's physical features racist? Dr. Frazier is a big black African-American and that's all Mr. Atkins said. What's racist about that? And being 6'5" is rather intimidating to people like me who did not even make it to 6'. That's just a fact. I'm short compared to him and over weight. If someone said of me that I am short and overweight and losing my hair, is that offensive and prejudiced against short overweight balding people or is it just describing my body condition? No, that's just who I am and I don't take offense at that. I can imagine his large frame would get the attention of middle schoolers. That's just a fact. Another fact is that Dr. Frazier has an earned doctorate degree. Just addressing Frazier as Dr. Frazier shows respect for his intelligence, discipline in the academic field, and ability. And, Atkins addressed Dr. Frazier as Doctor which shows respect. Why does everything have to end up with people like Maner playing the race card. That deck of cards played out a long time ago.

johnsmith
johnsmith 01/17/08 - 09:49 am
Since the McCain letter won't

Since the McCain letter won't accept posts: Acknowledging McCain's support of the war on Islamofascism (which I do) is not the same as saying that he is the right man for the presidency. McCain's insistence that he was right on McCain-Feingold, right on McCain-Kennedy, right on judicial nominations, tells me that his arrogance has not diminished in the slightest since he got up in front of a crowd and told us that we were not ABLE to go out and pick produce, that he could confidently offer us $50/hour to do so, because Americans just can't do it, and he knew that he would not have to pay up. Anyone who truly believes that an able-bodied American citizen is not capable of picking tomatoes for a living is not fit to be president. It's the social "progressive" programs that HE champions that make such work unattractive--why work for $300/week when you can get $200/week in welfare bennies + sec.8 housing to sit on your behind? No thank you, Mr. McCain, I think we'll pass on the "Nothing-but-talk Express"

dani
dani 01/17/08 - 09:54 am
Seems the comments section of

Seems the comments section of the LTE'S are not working this morning. In one letter, a Mr Maner thinks Mr Atkins should apologize for making an "insensitive" remark abput Mr Frazier.
I think Mr Maner should apologize instead to Mr Atkins for being overly sensitive when Mr Atkins was simply stating a fact.

Jester1031
Jester1031 01/17/08 - 09:55 am
Comment on A BIG RAVE to our

Comment on A BIG RAVE to our Georgia highway designers : The GA Highway Dept's "foresight" as you word it, came as a request from the public. People living alongside or close to I-20 asked for something to be put in place to help deaden the noise of the passing traffic. Blaming the state for this kind of vandalism is a cheap shot.

johnsmith
johnsmith 01/17/08 - 09:56 am
Since the "racist comments"

Since the "racist comments" letter won't accept comments: I'm going to reveal (and revel in?) my ignorance, here--I have no special knowledge of Tubman or of Dr. Frazier, so I may be wrong in what I am about to say. Dr. Frazier does sound like a very large, physically intimidating man. He also has a PhD, so I don't think his academic qualifications are in question. He has been chosen to be principal of a school that--am I wrong?--has had grave discipline issues across the board. Are 100% of the schools' students black? I doubt it, but I don't know. What I DO know is that middle schoolers, ESPECIALLY middle school boys, view men who are large and strong as being worthy of respect. That is true for nearly all middle school boys, across racial and income lines. When a big, booming, football-coach type voice carries across the room, you have adolescent boys' attention. Is it possible that that is what Mr. Atkins meant...? Or do we immediately have to look for a racist motive? Since this is Augusta, I guess we have to assume that Mr. Atkins is a filthy racist...

Dan White 01/17/08 - 10:00 am
I guess the next thing Gov.

I guess the next thing Gov. Purdue is going to do after wasting our tax money on hiring school staff to get parents involved with their children's schooling is to pay the parents to come to teacher-parent meetings. Deadbeat parents produce deadbeat kids that do not want to learn and create trouble at school. How many more programs and how much more money is going to be thrown at problems that can't be fixed? You can't make chicken soup out of chicken manure. The only way to get parents attention is to fine them when their children are suspended either in or out of school and not let the child back into school until the fine is paid. When is our government going to quit trying to fix everything and hold people and parents responsible???

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/17/08 - 10:00 am
To baffled in Germany, I know

To baffled in Germany, I know two men that live in Germany. They're both from Augusta, both are doctors and both have two children. They're almost fifty and don't know each other. Neither makes $30k/yr and each lives in a house about 1100sq/ft. Their clean, educated, and efficient neighbors aren't as well off as they. I guess we all have our priorities. I don't think they're any happier then an American happy person though.

dani
dani 01/17/08 - 10:05 am
I have seen, from Skinner

I have seen, from Skinner Mill Rd, the walls that are under construction along I-20. I would not want to have that scenic view from my door or windows. I would be for moving on..

Dan White 01/17/08 - 10:09 am
I get claustrophobia

I get claustrophobia everytime I drive on I-20 in that Skinner Mill area. Aghhh. It's horrible. But maybe it will give some traffic noise relief to the unfortunate citizens who live along that corridor. They should be given a tax break on their property taxes for having to put up with that. Yuk.

Dan White 01/17/08 - 10:09 am
I get claustrophobia

Dan White 01/17/08 - 10:14 am
If you want to get rid of

If you want to get rid of junk you don't want, leave it on the carport. It's a nice way to get rid of old TV's that you don't want to pay to get hauled off to the dump. The thieves think they have something valuable, The last laugh is on them.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 01/17/08 - 10:21 am
You are reading something

You are reading something into it that just isn't there. Man people are just to sensitive anymore!!!Just like 2livecrew said "Freedom of speech, just watch what you say!!"

Jillian
Jillian 01/17/08 - 10:30 am
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..the

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..the weather brings snow flurries and schools are closed.. ohhh to be in the South. lol

dani
dani 01/17/08 - 10:35 am
wylds..I don't get your

wylds..I don't get your comment. Mr Maner said that Mr Atkins should apologize for making an a racial insensitive remark. He SAID it. there is no 'reading something that is not there' You did mean that Mr Maner should not have made something of it that wasn't there, right?

Eric
Eric 01/17/08 - 10:41 am
Hey green, wonder if E. Maner

Hey green, wonder if E. Maner and RichmondCountyResident are one in the same?

TINKERBELLE0330
TINKERBELLE0330 01/17/08 - 10:43 am
this bryan foster ...is he

this bryan foster ...is he korean?!? sounds like something he would write himself.

devilishlymad67
devilishlymad67 01/17/08 - 10:46 am
This should worry and concern

This should worry and concern anyone and everyone who thinks to vote for osama obama: Check out his Church's website. He should NOT be running for President of Amercian....Africa maybe but not AMERICA: http://www.tucc.org/about.htm We are a congregation which is Unashamedly Black and Unapologetically Christian... Our roots in the Black religious experience and tradition are deep, lasting and permanent. We are an African people, and remain "true to our native land," the mother continent, the cradle of civilization. God has superintended our pilgrimage through the days of slavery, the days of segregation, and the long night of racism. It is God who gives us the strength and courage to continuously address injustice as a people, and as a congregation. We constantly affirm our trust in God through cultural expression of a Black worship service and ministries which address the Black Community.

This man is making a mockery of American citizens.

DoubleD
DoubleD 01/17/08 - 10:51 am
Not much to say, just

Not much to say, just reporting for accountability.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 01/17/08 - 10:54 am
Yes dani I meant his making

Yes dani I meant his making it about race was reading into something that wasn't there...sorry I should have been more specific.

dani
dani 01/17/08 - 10:55 am
Devilish..Is that a

Devilish..Is that a legitimate web site? There are so many false rumors that I try to read from only those I know are at least partly truthful.
..This election will expose the Clinton's for what they truly stand for. Did you see Bill last night. He looked about 80 years old and was in some reporter's face yelling that he had nothing to do with the court case in Nevada today. It appears that the Clinton camp had to have been involved. The law had been in effect for months and is just now being challenged. >I am just glad I am not a Democrat. I would be forced to sit this one out.

devilishlymad67
devilishlymad67 01/17/08 - 10:59 am
I am not affiliated with

I am not affiliated with either party I vote based on the person. The site appears legitmate. He was on Oprah saying he attends this church. Check out the site, that is what I did. You don't see this advertised because it wouldn't be "Politically Correct". There isn't alot of truth in reporting because everyone is so scared of a being accused of something even if what they report is true. It is definately a case of voter beware!

mommie2
mommie2 01/17/08 - 11:01 am
Hitler was born in Austria.

Hitler was born in Austria.

dani
dani 01/17/08 - 11:11 am
devilish..You are right. I

devilish..You are right. I think everyone should look this over before voting. According to others that have read it thoroughly the members aren't permitted to show allegiance to this country. Thus, he doesn't wear his lapel pin and doesn't salute the flag. He says he does use the Christian Bible, but there are numerous books written that are called Christian Bibles.

Dan White 01/17/08 - 11:12 am
Yea, Tide, I agree. If not

Yea, Tide, I agree. If not the same, they do think a like and have a racist chip of feeling persecuted on their shoulder and dare anyone to knock the chip off. The CLINTON campaign is unraveling. If Obama gets the nomination, I guess that's the end for Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. They will go out of business because they can't scream and yell that America is racist anymore. I would love to see Obama get the nomination. I just don't want him or Hillary as President. Hillary doesn't have the right stuff. She reminds me of Tammy Faye Baker. She cries and her mascara runs when she loses. We need a stateswoman like Elizabeth Dole or Condelessa Rice to break the gender barrier for President and not Hillary.

Mountainwoman
Mountainwoman 01/17/08 - 11:14 am
Germany - when was the last

Germany - when was the last time you were there? Did you notice how vulgar they had gotten???? How RUDE????? But their pasteries are the VERY best!!!!And I have family members that are German and I love them very much, but they came here and never went back, not even for a visit. AND THEIR HOMES ARE SPOTLESS HERE IN AMERICA TOO!!!!

Dan White 01/17/08 - 11:15 am
God bless your dad, baroness.

God bless your dad, baroness. I hope and pray he pulls through.

Eric
Eric 01/17/08 - 11:26 am
I agree with you green. Those

I agree with you green. Those two are really scary to me. Not sure I like anybody that is running on the Rep. side either. Especially Ron Paul. I've never heard such ramblings as I heard the other night in the debate in Myrtle Beach. Bush rambles and babbles some times; but, I don't think even in a drunken stupor, Bush could sound that bad.

Eric
Eric 01/17/08 - 11:27 am
Maybe I'll just wait to see

Maybe I'll just wait to see who the Augusta Chronicle endorses and vote who they tell me to! ;-) NOT!!!!!!!!

NicoleKelly
NicoleKelly 01/17/08 - 11:32 am
Condelessa Rice!!!!!!!!!!!!

Condelessa Rice!!!!!!!!!!!! You must be sniffing fumes!!!!!!

jshep67
jshep67 01/17/08 - 11:38 am
How come Colin Powell won't

How come Colin Powell won't run for President? I sure wish he would.