Rants and raves

Comments from our readers.

A RAVE FOR CATS! Cats are much cleaner and more independent than dogs -- they don't hike their leg on coffee tables, make a mess with their food, and unlike dogs, they do not like to be dirty! Our family had dogs as pets for years, then got a cat -- what a nice change that was.

I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE a comment about the editorial cartoon on Christmas Day. It was one of the best cartoons that I have every seen! Thank you for putting it in the paper.

THE EVANS LIBRARY is a delight for its patrons. BUT, being closed several days for the Christmas holiday, they locked up their return bins with notice that they were afraid they would overflow during the hiatus. So what do Columbia Countians do? The leave their returns on the ground "outside the box."

I STRONGLY DISAGREE WITH those people who said that we need to put the bad boys in the military and send them to Iraq. The officers and noncommissioned officers in our armed forces are responsible for winning war and protecting our nations. They do not need a bunch of hoods to worry about.

A RANT FOR the Georgia Lottery. It used to be if you played, and won a ticket, you could play again, or collect the price of the ticket, and play something else or keep the money. Now if you win a ticket, you must take another ticket, or lose your money. Who wants another ticket to play something that just paid thousands of dollars the night before?

FOR THE PEOPLE WHO write in and want national socialized medicine: Just look at the immigration mess and then ask yourself if you really want the federal government managing your health care? Are you nuts?

I HAVE A SPECIAL RAVE to Josh Bennett of Bobby Jones Ford. We shall see if word of mouth is truly the best advertising. This man went above and beyond the responsibilities of his job to ensure that my car was delivered for Christmas. Thank you!

AS A VOTER, I WOULD never vote for Giuliani. He is too busy trying to impress young women. And Edwards, he really needs to be home with his wife, who is trying to overcome cancer. As far as the rest of them. No Hillary please. I'm an independent.

WE HAVE A SPECIAL RAVE for all people who gave special attention to nursing home patients. God bless you all.

AS A TEACHER, I find it odd that when my students do Internet research, the connection speed is no better than dial-up, but at the Board of Education offices it's lightning fast. When is Dr. Bedden going to address this problem?

I WOULD LIKE TO send a huge rave to the folks at the Life Center Church on Belair Road. I lost my job and my husband's hours have been cut way back. The members of Life Center brought my family enough food to get through the holiday season and so many presents for my family that they made this the best Christmas my family has had. Thank you so much.

THIS IS HUGE PRAISE for the person(s) responsible for delivering the newspaper to us on Christmas morning. We were just removing all the Santa evidence from the house around 2:30 a.m. when we noticed our paper at the end of the drive. Thank you for a job well done.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/14/08 - 03:20 am
Every Evans library employee

Every Evans library employee that could be trusted with a key left the area for the holidays? Not one single one could be troubled to empty the bins once a day? Sounds like poor management to me.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/14/08 - 03:23 am
The concept of putting "bad

The concept of putting "bad boys" into the military is to put them in a structured situation where their actions are predetermined until they understand the difference between appropriate behavior and "bad" behavior. It's a good theory.

armywife1
armywife1 01/14/08 - 04:41 am
"Bad boys" can have as much

"Bad boys" can have as much structure as they need in jail. The militay is going through enough hard times right now, imagine a "bad boy" watching your back in Irak!

PTHS2
PTHS2 01/14/08 - 04:47 am
NCOs and Officers in the US

NCOs and Officers in the US Military are leaders - not babysitters or prison guards (unless assigned that specific duty). We face enough challenges without chasing our own miscreants around.

WhiskyDick
WhiskyDick 01/14/08 - 04:51 am
PT clearly has no clue as to

PT clearly has no clue as to what the military is or does. Jail is where "bad boys" belong, not in the uniformed services.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/14/08 - 06:53 am
Confused people, pt said,

Confused people, pt said, "the CONCEPT of placing bad boys..". . A military school type of setting would accomplish the same thing. I'm not advocating placing hundreds of juvenile delinquents in one battalion of the army in a war zone. (don't post before morning coffee)

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 01/14/08 - 07:34 am
Years ago that was the

Years ago that was the option, join the Army or go to jail. Many delinquents just need structure and discipline, and the means to get away from their playmates and playpens to stop the beginnings of a life of crime.

dani
dani 01/14/08 - 08:07 am
I don't find food at all

I don't find food at all appetizing after seeing a cat walking around on the counter where it is prepared. I can handle a messy floor but my food is a different matter.

armywife1
armywife1 01/14/08 - 08:17 am
Had my morning coffee, still

Had my morning coffee, still confused , the idea of putting somebody " in the military " - aka armed forces is the same as a military school?

PTHS2
PTHS2 01/14/08 - 08:21 am
armywife - take it a step

armywife - take it a step farther to quote the original rant - "......in the military and sent to Iraq". That seemed pretty clear to me, as did PT's reply. Maybe if she was drinking coffee at 3:20am when she was posting, it was "special" coffee.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 01/14/08 - 08:28 am
Cats, taste just like

Cats, taste just like chicken!

Concerned in Georgia
Concerned in Georgia 01/14/08 - 08:54 am
What coalminerpa said is

What coalminerpa said is true, in the 80's when i joined the military, one of the drill sgts was a go to jail or join the army, he made a carrier out of it. You may be able to discipline some of the guys you send to the military, but most will just cause trouble. And I wouldn't want them watching my back in war.

rufus
rufus 01/14/08 - 08:59 am
Use them for sniper bait

Use them for sniper bait

PTHS2
PTHS2 01/14/08 - 09:26 am
Concerned - I agree with both

Concerned - I agree with both you and Coalminer about that "option" and don't necessarily disagree there is a place for it. I think there is a HUGE difference between an individual that made the choice for the military vice the hoosegow VS ones that are TOLD "You are going in the military". Does that make any sense? I wasn't an angel as a teen (or later), but the military helped turn me around (a bit) - but I asked for it - I wasn't forced. I think that is an important distinction.

a crazy old man
a crazy old man 01/14/08 - 09:32 am
Why waste the money training

Why waste the money training them, just send them straight to the front line and feed them kitty cat.

maninthepi
maninthepi 01/14/08 - 09:33 am
on a different subject.what

on a different subject.what about the nan that walked in a bank and said was there to pick up money. not even a guard with him
and rhey gave it to him. don't see how they can charge him with robbery if catch him. never threatened anybody just said was there to pick up money.

dani
dani 01/14/08 - 09:37 am
manin--You aren't serious are

manin--You aren't serious are you? Of course he can be charged. This was malicious intent.

luckyladydays
luckyladydays 01/14/08 - 09:38 am
PT, I think it is a good

PT, I think it is a good concept as well, providing military structure and discipline to lawbreakers... Prison is nothing like the military. Yeah, the prisoners have to work and wake up at a certain time to be able to eat, and do what others tell them to do all day, but prison lacks the potential to motivate people and inspire people to do better for themselves. I think that is something that the military excels in, motivation and inspiration... I think that is all the misbehaved people needed in the first place, and maybe they wouldn't have ended up in prison. So, maybe not necessarily the actual Armed Forces, but some type of military structure would not hurt...

luckyladydays
luckyladydays 01/14/08 - 09:42 am
LOL to the cat raver!

LOL to the cat raver!

ME75
ME75 01/14/08 - 09:56 am
There are plenty of “bad

There are plenty of “bad boys” and delinquents in the military. Have you heard about the Marine Corporal who is wanted in connection with the murder of the pregnant Lance Corporal who accused him of rape? That is just a recent example, but trust me, I have been in the armed forces for 13 years and I’ve met several delinquents.

PTHS2
PTHS2 01/14/08 - 09:59 am
bhoppy - nobody is aruging

bhoppy - nobody is aruging that. That is why the military has installations like Fort Leavenworth for example. Do you want to add more of them that are pre-identified and don't want to be there? (I know, I ran into a number of them in my 23+ years of active duty). Thank you for your service!

maninthepi
maninthepi 01/14/08 - 10:06 am
dani yes know can be charged

dani yes know can be charged but still think was stupid for them to give him the money the way they did.

CHATTYCAT
CHATTYCAT 01/14/08 - 10:17 am
THERE ARE "BAD" PEOPLE IN

THERE ARE "BAD" PEOPLE IN EVERY ENVIRONMENT, INCLUDING THE MILITARY.i.e. the marine who raped and murdered the woman from lejeune. The military is a world within itself.They have certain standards,but in their world it's keep your mouth shut and you'll do better than you ever expected. And the Army slogan "A Army of One" means exactly that- I'm here to make MYSELF look good and to hell with the rest of you dudes.

lilmace
lilmace 01/14/08 - 10:26 am
If someone thinks that

If someone thinks that inmates do what they are told while incarcerated, think again. They may pretend to, but do whatever they can get away with as soon as your attention is needed elsewhere. A majority of inmates had rather be in prison than in the military where they must do as instructed. There is a larger portion of inmates that do not work than there is that do work.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 01/14/08 - 10:30 am
Why not make all the prisons

Why not make all the prisons just like a permanent lifetime boot camp? Instead of letting them sit around all day planning and scheming, give them a structured environment with an education plan where you have to meet certain requirements to get out. Your sentences would be not only in years but in accomplishments. This wouldn't work for all offenders, but I believe it would work in a majority of them.

armywife1
armywife1 01/14/08 - 10:31 am
" Army of one" was the old

" Army of one" was the old slogan, it is now "Army Strong", and yes I agree , there are bad people everywere, however making MYSELF look good happens everywere else too, not just in the military.

reddog
reddog 01/14/08 - 10:40 am
PT: How do you know that

PT: How do you know that every employee from Columbia County Library left the area? You know everything about everything--even when people leave town.

DoubleD
DoubleD 01/14/08 - 10:47 am
You can't even get into the

You can't even get into the Army these days without a GED or H.S. Diploma, and it's even harder if you have any kind of police record. If you have a felony...forget it. If you force them in to the military they'd be out before completing basic training. All one has to do is sit on a bunk and say, "I'm not getting up." You cannot put your hands on them and they know it. The Army also isn't going to waste the money to lock them up for just sitting there refusing to work or move. It is very sad. I always say if you have lazy [filtered word] child and you send them to the Army they will most likely be a lazy [filtered word] Soldier. Take it from a former Drill Sergeant.

lilmace
lilmace 01/14/08 - 10:53 am
CBBP, in theory your plan

CBBP, in theory your plan might work in your minimum security prisons, but first the state has to release the money to do so. They have already cut most of this type program because of the cost to the state. Many of the prisons have rooms that were set up for GED training, drug programs, anger control, etc. sitting empty due to these programs being cut. There are some inmates who will never change no matter what type of training they have. Many will tell you, "If/when I get out I'll score or the person that put me here will get theirs".

swolf612000
swolf612000 01/14/08 - 10:53 am
You said it, Double D - my

You said it, Double D - my guy did 3 yrs as a DS, and he complained the whole 3rd year about the rule changes. Can't lay hands on them, can't get in their faces, can't cuss at them. We joked about it being the "kinder, gentler Army", but he was always frustrated. Especially during his time in Iraq - he said it definitely showed then.

Sickness closes all McDuffie County schools

One day after closing an elementary school because of excessive absences caused by illness, the McDuffie County School System has decided to close all seven of its schools, according to its ...