Rants and raves

Comments from our readers.

MAYBE RON CROSS CAN explain why Moss Creek has to solve their own pond dredging problem while his pals at West Lake get their pond maintenance bills paid by the county.

A RAVE FOR EVERYONE involved in decorating downtown, especially the commons. Thank you! The decoration around the Godfather's statue is nice, too.

THE PAUL SUPPORTERS need to stop living in the past. This is an entirely different generation. We have more to contend with than one old man who can't adapt to today's world.

A RANT TO LOCAL law enforcement. I am the victim still waiting on restitution from a crime against me in 2003. Was just informed assailant got three years for other crimes he committed. Was told by local probation office: If you want your restitution, take the assailant to civil court. He's already been to court! And sentenced to pay me.

LET'S STOP BEING so critical of others and come forward with the human kindness in all of us. It's easier to criticize than to extend a helping hand.

I WOULD LIKE AUGUSTA'S new congressman Paul Broun to stop calling my home with automated messages. It is beyond annoying.

A RAVE for Martinez Elementary and the students who take down and fold "Old Glory." I saw it today.

A HUGE RAVE for the good folks who handled the donations for the Hawes memorial.

THIS IS A RAVE for the gorgeous, well-designed Augusta Regional Airport. Our children flew out today, and on time, too.

WHY IS IT THAT EVERYTHING in Columbia County is GOOD and everything in Richmond County is BAD? There is no difference in the people -- the only difference is the amount of money.

THIS IS A RAVE for the principal at Columbia Middle School. Thanks for being such a caring person. All principals could learn a thing or two from you!

BEDTIME STORY reading has dropped, and we wonder why kids grow up so ignorant today. The experts blame it on parents who work so hard they are too tired to read at night. Isn't it ironic that most of those kids who aren't getting read to are children of parents who live off various forms of welfare, thus they're never too tired to do anything.

THE COLUMBIA COUNTY Board of Education does not need to give its nurses a raise, it needs to give its teachers a raise. If nurses want a raise, then I suggest working in a hospital.

TO THE RANTER about Columbia County school nurse: If you think they are disrespected you should check into what a parapro makes. They are pulled to cover any class that can't get a sub, plus have to make sure their own job is done.

RANTS TO THE CITY for pursuing the spending of millions of dollars on Ellis Street. Have they looked lately at all the garbage, trash, terrible walking locations, and ugly-looking buildings? Why not consider a little money to clean up this eyesore, including painting some of the old buildings?

Martinez
Martinez 01/08/08 - 06:28 am
Para Pro hourly pay is

Para Pro hourly pay is pathetic at best but then so is the daily substitute rate which is probably why Para Pro's are constantly pulled to serve as subs within the school. Add to that, try waiting 30 - 60 days to get paid for a day's work based on the monthly pay dates that cut off the month prior. In other words, substitute today and get paid in March! Not to mention, Para Pro's and substitutes, even long term ones, aren't benefit or holiday pay eligible.

dawgadidas
dawgadidas 01/08/08 - 07:17 am
Columbia county is good and

Columbia county is good and richmond county is bad, just look at all your violence and crime for both countys. Dont get me wrong most people in columbia work in richmond, and richmond county does have a few nice places to shop and a few good neightborhoods left, but in all most the people who live there dont care. Richmond county just has a bunch of overpayed employees, because all that tax money is being used somewhere.

Bored in GA
Bored in GA 01/08/08 - 07:44 am
The only difference in the

The only difference in the two counties is that Columbia county residents have the $$$ to pay off county officials to get their troubles conceiled!! I am proud to be in Richmond County!

heyheyhey
heyheyhey 01/08/08 - 08:13 am
Amen to that Thumper!

Amen to that Thumper!

sTiCkMaN
sTiCkMaN 01/08/08 - 08:20 am
really? we are gonna have an

really? we are gonna have an argument over with county is better? different strokes for different folks. i personally favor columbia county where i reside. however, im not going to bash richmond county.

LIB MR ducks
LIB MR ducks 01/08/08 - 08:24 am
Thumper...I guess you have a

Thumper...I guess you have a Richmond County education too. It is spelled concealed.

wise ole man
wise ole man 01/08/08 - 08:41 am
You are right- each county

You are right- each county has their problems- RC schools, crime, commissioner spats, section 8 housing. CC must deal with the likes of Ron Cross, his son-in law and Harlem's howdy dowdy mayor. I still think after all this I would still take my chances in CC.

happy11
happy11 01/08/08 - 08:51 am
Para Pros are underpaid, but

Para Pros are underpaid, but nurses are only bringing home around 1300.00 a month and have MAJOR LIABILITY!!

happy11
happy11 01/08/08 - 09:01 am
It is an insult to all nurses

It is an insult to all nurses to hear that someone thinks the Columbia County teachers need a raise. Go to the CCBOE website and compare teachers pay to the Nurse pay. If they suggest the Nurses go work in the hospital, who will care for their sick kids @ school??

NotyourDadsBuick
NotyourDadsBuick 01/08/08 - 09:05 am
The whole West Lake thing is

The whole West Lake thing is a mess. Ron Cross has never been accused of being intelligent. I was really curious about the current state of bedtime story reading until that rant explained it for me. At our house, during the fourth quarter bedtime story reading dropped to levels unseen since 2005. Experts blamed it on excitement surrounding Christmas and now expect a ten percent uptick in bedtime story reading in the first quarter of 2008. Still, some are concerned about speculators influencing growth in the bedtime story market. In related news, the jumping to conclusions market is very active.

1trugent
1trugent 01/08/08 - 09:17 am
I happen to live in Columbia

I happen to live in Columbia County and not really in what you may call an upscale neighborhood, but I bet if I was to do a crime analysis on my neighborhood and one on yours in Richmond Co., your neighborhood would greatly out weigt mine with the amount of crime. The difference isn't the money, but the kind of people.

DEVGRU
DEVGRU 01/08/08 - 09:30 am
Don't blame local law

Don't blame local law enforcement for not getting restitution for the crime committed. It is the job of the judical system. A pretty sad one in this area.

prfisher46
prfisher46 01/08/08 - 09:32 am
i have lived in both counties

i have lived in both counties and think that Richmond County is better by far because the people seems to care about each other and not about themselves. I grew up in Columbia County and went to school there the people there only care for themselves I have found out.

change display name
change display name 01/08/08 - 09:32 am
Quality v. quantity. The

Quality v. quantity. The difference is that Columbia County residents care and Richmond County residents don't. Nobody gets anything "conceiled" in Columbia County. Give an example if you are going to make a statement like that, Thump. It's true the nurses don't make much, but compare what they do to what a hospital nurse does.

digmick
digmick 01/08/08 - 09:36 am
Regarding the bedtime story

Regarding the bedtime story comment: that was quite a leap to say that those not reading to their children are welfare recipients.

scoobasteve
scoobasteve 01/08/08 - 09:37 am
The new ncaa poll has LSU#1,

The new ncaa poll has LSU#1, Georgia #2. I didn't see S.Car on the list.

RebelTA
RebelTA 01/08/08 - 09:39 am
Ron Paul is an advocate of

Ron Paul is an advocate of the constitutioin, the document that this nation is built around, a living document! maybe thats what this country needs, a politician that cares more about the country than filling his pockets!

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 01/08/08 - 09:39 am
scumrider...so what happens

scumrider...so what happens when people move from Richmond County to Columbia County?? Do you have a training course or a hand book to explain how they must act now?? Geeeezzzz

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 01/08/08 - 09:43 am
I have lived in both counties

I have lived in both counties and now live in neither. My experience has been quite good in both. I merely stay away from neighborhoods that are bad or in decline. You may pay a little more for your home, but it's worth it to be happy & safe.

1trugent
1trugent 01/08/08 - 09:46 am
Yep...It's called the Holy

Yep...It's called the Holy Bible. Be surprised what it'll teach you if you open it and read it sometime.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 01/08/08 - 09:50 am
Again Bibles are available in

Again Bibles are available in both counties. Did you have a point or do you just like to type?

RebelTA
RebelTA 01/08/08 - 09:50 am
come on people!!! maybe if

come on people!!! maybe if everyone would look at where this country is now and where it is headed we can turn it around before we are left in the dust by the EU and China!! get a grip!! we need more money in education so we can get back on top of the scientific ladder and be a world leader again! as it stands now Asians and Europeans are outdistancing us in the areas that make a country grow!

WW1949
WW1949 01/08/08 - 09:53 am
How well you like each county

How well you like each county depends of where you live in the county and if you have children. I have lived in both and like Richmond County. If I had children I would send them to private schools for a better education not because of the teachers because I think both are good but because of the quality of the students. I also think the comment about West Lake is wrong. All the roads belong to and are kept up by the homeowners in the form of dues and assements as well as the ponds. They have 16.6 miles of roads and now have to start saving in their association for 11 million prox. for future repairs. I just read this in the neighboor hood news letter. They also pay a private security firm to patrol the streets in the amount of $180.00 per month dues prox. which they are voteing to increase to $250.00 prox.

john
john 01/08/08 - 09:55 am
If you are unhappy with your

If you are unhappy with your compensation, get a new job or work to better yourself. If you dont like how para pro's are paid, get a degree and certification. Unbelievable. Quit being a victim. There is always something else you can do. Teaching and taking care of people are noble professions. If you are in it for the money, I think you made a serious vocational mistake. Now, do I think they should be paid more, sure, but quit whining.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 01/08/08 - 09:57 am
I am a big fan of the SEC and

I am a big fan of the SEC and especially UGA. Why can't we get Ohio State on our regular schedule rather than Troy or Louisianna Lafayette? Why not Southern Cal, Oklahoma and other perennial bowl contenders? If we are truly the premier conference, let's prove it. I also think these would be guaranteed victories for many SEC teams and end this conference talk forever.

scoobasteve
scoobasteve 01/08/08 - 10:05 am
Ohio State has a chance of

Ohio State has a chance of winning in their weak conferance, and possibly tricking the BCS into thinking that they deserva to play for a national championship, just like in the past two years. Georgia'd Stomp a mud hole in 'em, and theyd be exposed as the losers that they truly are.

PlayaFace
PlayaFace 01/08/08 - 10:08 am
proud to be in columbia

proud to be in columbia county!!!! im smarter and richer than you!

PlayaFace
PlayaFace 01/08/08 - 10:10 am
georgia is ranked number two

georgia is ranked number two now.. thanks to lsu for winning last night... =o)... everybody watch out next season.. the dawgs are gunna run it... stand strong for knowshon!

happy11
happy11 01/08/08 - 10:13 am
Where would this country be

Where would this country be if everyone "quit whining"? If things are not right people should speak up and expose the ugly truth. There is no chance for change with attitudes like John's. The School Nurses have a degree, and are in it to help the students, but are tired of being paid a grand a month. As professionals why can't School Nurses expect to be compensated fairly?

badleeroy
badleeroy 01/08/08 - 10:22 am
The coaches poll has GA

The coaches poll has GA ranked #3, behind USC [filtered word]?????