Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

HELP! I'M FREEZING! Somebody call Al Gore!

A BIG RANT to people who steal from the Salvation Army. You ought to be ashamed. God knows exactly who are you, so you better start praying.

THIS MESSAGE IS for the Richmond County Board of Education and new superintendent, Dr. Bedden. Question for you: Is heat in this year's budget? Because you are taking everything out. I was concerned because when I walked my child to her classroom today, that room was freezing. Dr Bedden, the kids cannot function when it is cold. Please do not take heat out of the budget.

FINALLY, SOME RAIN! Boy, our local network TV "meteorologists," the proud-and-out-loud storm team blew it this time, huh? I'm just saying that perhaps these TV weather folks might be a little overindulged and overpaid for what they provide.

A BIG RAVE for 102.7 WGUS radio. They play gospel music and it is such a blessing.

I RECEIVED a beautiful thank-you note from my wonderful paper carrier. That's a good newspaper person.

A RANT TO THE PERSON who stated: "I don't have to drive in the right lane." In Northern states, you receive a $150 ticket for driving in the left lane unless passing.

WHAT IS SO WONDERFUL about somebody like Tiger Woods that you can't promote people like Larry Mize, Vaughn Taylor and Charles Howell, our own local ones? Y'all don't promote them like you should.

A RANT AND A RAVE for the folks who stole the grandkids' toys and things under the tree. You crooked thieves.

A RAVE TO THE KIND manager of Olive Garden for stopping to help my husband (who is on oxygen) and me get our car off Columbia Road, and for changing our flat tire in the pouring rain on Saturday. This surely is an example of the true spirit of the season.

A RAVE TO MARILYN GRAU and Columbia County Parks and Recreation. My daughter and I just attended a demonstration at the Reed Creek Nature Park on using natural materials to create lovely decorations for the home. It was great!

WHY DO PEOPLE USE the newspaper to complain? Take action on whatever you don't like in our city, meetings, petitions, etc.

WHY DO SOME FOLKS constantly complain about radio stations? There seems to be dozens available with all types of formats. Here's a suggestion -- get satellite radio.

A RAVE FOR THE 10 percent school budget cut. Maybe since Richmond County is losing students every day, it should rethink early retirement and combining schools.

A RAVE TO ANYONE who donates blood to our soldiers. Please help them in this time of need.

THE FEDS ARE TAKING steps to protect buyers in the subprime market. Who is going to protect the taxpayer from people who are too stupid to know they cannot afford a house, or who are too ignorant to read their contract?

A RANT TO THE CHRONICLE and the National Weather Service. As I watched the rains come down last Saturday, I knew that the local media would grab onto the spin "It's not going to help anything." How can one inch of rain not help? How pathetically predictable.

If you have an opinion you want to share with other newspaper readers, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augusta chronicle.com.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 01/05/08 - 05:33 am
Why do people use the

Why do people use the newspaper to complain about people using the newspaper to complain?

As It Is
As It Is 01/05/08 - 05:44 am
Augusta Resident, couldn't

Augusta Resident, couldn't have said it better myself. And to the northerner, you are so very right....you should be in the right lane excpet to pass unless in traffic and all lanes are full. And, if someone obviously wants to pass, simply get out of there way vs. thinking you are teaching them a lesson because the lesson you may learn may cost you your life and it simply isn't worth it. Dr. Bedden, keep up the good work in getting all of the unnecessary waste out of the budget. You have a long way to go but are on the right track. Now, just get rid of the non-teaching tenured teachers who are sitting there dawing salaries without actually teaching so as to get some more real teachers who actaully care into the system.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 01/05/08 - 06:44 am
I called Al, he'll be here

I called Al, he'll be here Sunday thru Friday.

PTHS2
PTHS2 01/05/08 - 06:45 am
A-res - Thanks for the smile

A-res - Thanks for the smile to start the day!

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/05/08 - 07:13 am
I'm enjoying this global

I'm enjoying this global cooling right now, but am just about ready for the global warming to return. The global wetting is nice too.

justus4
justus4 01/05/08 - 07:52 am
Why is there a Jefferson

Why is there a Jefferson Davis placard on the bridge to N. Augusta? None of my taxes to honor such a loser! Who authorized that action and why is it still there?

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 01/05/08 - 07:59 am
What bridge? 13th or 5th

What bridge? 13th or 5th

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 01/05/08 - 08:02 am
Hey justus4, what about the

Hey justus4, what about the millions of losers everyone is supporting through the welfare system? At least he stood for something!

longtrainrunning
longtrainrunning 01/05/08 - 08:25 am
Hey Justus, I can't stand

Hey Justus, I can't stand Martin Luther King either, so let's take down the Jeff Davis Sign and do away with all the Martin Luther signs and the holiday. Is it a deal, will it work for you???????????

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 01/05/08 - 08:33 am
No, keep the holiday, I get

No, keep the holiday, I get double time on holidays.

PlayaFace
PlayaFace 01/05/08 - 09:21 am
i dont like the global

i dont like the global cooling!!! i want the global warming back!!

PlayaFace
PlayaFace 01/05/08 - 09:22 am
tiger woods is tiger

tiger woods is tiger woods.... i dont pay any attention to golf but everyone knows who tiger woods is... i dont know any of those other three people...

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 01/05/08 - 09:23 am
Why cant we have a holiday

Why cant we have a holiday for Jeff Davis?

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 01/05/08 - 09:25 am
Yes, global warming is much

Yes, global warming is much better! I cant wait for summer to get here!

amazed1
amazed1 01/05/08 - 09:39 am
sometimes I think that people

sometimes I think that people go around looking for something to complain about. If they would use this energy to do something constructive, the world would be a better place.

PlayaFace
PlayaFace 01/05/08 - 09:58 am
does anyone know anything

does anyone know anything about old vinyl record players? i got one for christmas that has the sound output wires to plug it into the DVD surround sound system and it works but even with the volume on high (which would normally blow your socks off) you can hardly hear it... is there something i need to get the volume to work properly?

grouse
grouse 01/05/08 - 10:15 am
PlayaFace, you need a

PlayaFace, you need a pre-amp. Try Radio Shack.

PlayaFace
PlayaFace 01/05/08 - 10:17 am
what is a pre-amp? how much

what is a pre-amp? how much do they normally cost?

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 01/05/08 - 10:20 am
Make sure the amp is switched

Make sure the amp is switched to what you plugged into like dvd, aux, tuner, cd, cassette ect. I can't tell without seeing it, does the player have a volume knob? Seems like the player is fine if you are getting sound from it, it's up to the amp to make it loud. Let us know how it turns out, I have been interested in getting one so I can convert my vynals to CD.

PlayaFace
PlayaFace 01/05/08 - 10:32 am
augusta resident... a friend

augusta resident... a friend of my dads told me that he saw in target that they were selling these vinyl to cd converters

intheknow
intheknow 01/05/08 - 10:37 am
CYNDI, you can celebrate

CYNDI, you can celebrate Oliver North day for all I care.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 01/05/08 - 10:40 am
One toy at a time. I'm using

One toy at a time. I'm using a filmscanner I bought my wife. It converts slides and negatives into pictures. I have slides 50+ years old, it's great.

longtrainrunning
longtrainrunning 01/05/08 - 10:48 am
Yes, Im still here, been

Yes, Im still here, been waiting for your dumb, bla--- azz to show back up with your racist dribble!

createyourfuture
createyourfuture 01/05/08 - 11:17 am
Well I, for one, was glad to

Well I, for one, was glad to see Hillary Clinton in THIRD place. The electorate is trying to wake up and smell the coffe; speaking of which, mine is ready. Gotta go.

PlayaFace
PlayaFace 01/05/08 - 11:19 am
i want to go home

i want to go home

PlayaFace
PlayaFace 01/05/08 - 11:49 am
not where im at.... i hate

not where im at.... i hate work

WW1949
WW1949 01/05/08 - 11:49 am
Justus4, What is wrong with

Justus4, What is wrong with the Jefferson Davis sign on the bridge. That is the name of the bridge, or the Jeffferson Davis Highway from Wrens down thru Bartow, or Jefferson County, Jeff Davis County or Wheeler Rock at the corner of Walton Way and Almond. Those are all people of the past just like there is an MLK Blvd in just about every large town and state and he is a perosn of the past also. Accept it and go on with life.

WW1949
WW1949 01/05/08 - 11:55 am
Justus4, What is wrong with

intheknow
intheknow 01/05/08 - 12:07 pm
BARRONEES, I would love to

BARRONEES, I would love to but, I am not in Augusta. I have to work at keeping the streets safe so that people like LONSTRAIN can spew their racist garbage. BUT THE NEXT TIME i am in my home town I will make sure to participate. Thanks for the offer.

longtrainrunning
longtrainrunning 01/05/08 - 12:45 pm
Just for you, intheknow, the

Just for you, intheknow, the in word seems to fit you perfectly!

Fire Department raises sought

The Augusta Fire Depart­ment will present a pay raise proposal for firefighters and administrators to the county’s public safety committee Monday.